Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, SG. I have been seeing the same Chiro for some 4 years now and he knows me reasonably well and is quite a bit more rounded than the sort of people you describe above (who I have also come across). I have an appointment with him tomorrow to have a look over me having not seen him since the immediate aftermath of the strain. Hopefully he will present me with some magical manipulation and follow on advice.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds promising DT. A mix of sorting the current problem, and any underlying weaknesses that will just bring the same problem on later is the perfect mix, but some just seem to give a quick fire fix.

I remember one physio just telling me to "run through" stuff, with the reasoning being it's the way forward for my sortof mileage.
    While you sort of want to be told you're fine to run through it, you know yourself when it's not right!
  • Options
    I do have pretty good core strength, SG, but am not at all flexible/mobile/whatever. When I used to do the circus stuff I used to have to do all the handstands and inversions that I could actually manage, rather than the decorative girly moves like splits.
  • Options
    Less than a kilometre to go.  Brian, in green, in the background :)
  • Options
    Tommy: thanks for the video clip! Saw one of my neighbours on it! We ran together this morning and he said it was the best National course he had been to...and I think this was about his 30th. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options

Great racing Pete, nice xc-ing Tommy, impressive mud coverage.

2 full weeks off now and I'm raring to go. No shin pain, and ankle seems better. A few tentative runs this week I reckon.

• Options
    Aw, you look so happy at beating Brian, Pete! Do you think he knows you are his local rival?
  • Options

Great photo, Pete. Have some of that Brian.

Alehouse - Most people I spoke to enjoyed the course! Although the guys on Stevie's thread don't seem to have enjoyed it quite as much...

Rich - fingers crossed the niggles are behind you and you can kick on from here (you are my one to watch 2017...).  

• Options
    WTF is all this fancy newness? I'm back from skiing with a freshly ruptured anterior cruciate ligament. So not going to be going running any time soon. Awaiting referral for MRI and possible surgery but the French sports doctor who diagnosed it felt fairly certain. I'm quite glad I've had a mediocre few months of training and elected for Spring off marathons as otherwise I'd be even more pissed off. Can't even take my kids to school right now. 

Anyway, going to read back and see how everyone is doing. 
  • Options
    Oh that sounds very shit McFlooze - hope it at least happened at the end of your holiday.

Take care (although maybe a bit late for that), Skinny
  • Options
    McFlooze said:
    WTF is all this fancy newness? I'm back from skiing with a freshly ruptured anterior cruciate ligament. So not going to be going running any time soon. Awaiting referral for MRI and possible surgery but the French sports doctor who diagnosed it felt fairly certain. I'm quite glad I've had a mediocre few months of training and elected for Spring off marathons as otherwise I'd be even more pissed off. Can't even take my kids to school right now. 

Anyway, going to read back and see how everyone is doing. 
    Oh no!  Ruptured ACL doesn't sound good at all :(   It's the sort of injury footballers get.  Hope our wonderful NHS staff decide that it's something less serious and can fix you quickly!  Glad you've found your way to the crap new forum.  You've been missed.

literatin said:
    Aw, you look so happy at beating Brian, Pete! Do you think he knows you are his local rival?
    Believe me, I was buzzing at that point and giving it full beans in a relaxed sort of way!  I doubt Brian is even aware I exist.  After all, I've always been running behind him in the past, not least because he always muscles his way on to the front row at the start.
  • Options
    He'll know you exist now Pete!
  • Options
    Rich Clark2Rich Clark2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    He'll be aware of an orange blur, might take him a while to work out what/who it was!
  • Options
    Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's...
  • Options
    I've now been awarded the prestigious '6 Level 3 Promotions' badge. Hurrah!

Btw, I was allowed out for a run on Sunday. Despite having stayed up till 1am drinking gin, I was so excited to be running that I gambolled around 5.3 miles of forest trails like a frolicking lamb. Sadly I then had to get on my bike instead and accompanied my coach & running friends round a few more miles of 'this really would be more suitable for a mountain bike' trails. My ankles were pretty stiff afterwards but it was nice to be doing some running.
  • Options
    That took me AGES to read back. Somehow I got a level 3 promotion in the interim.

And big lolz to Mace's charitable poultry fingering. Sad for the marathon drop out. 

Enjoyed that race report, Pete. Sticking it to the man. Well, sticking it to Brian anyway. 

Not doing any relays clearly but I did the Nationals in Sutton a few years back and we were fairly comprehensively thrashed. Never seen such sharp elbows! 

Sorry to hear people suffering with injuries and niggles - keep on with the stretching etc. 
  • Options
    Morning folks. Just back from a week of skiing. McF now has a ruptured ant cruciate ligament  :'( and I have very stiff legs after no running but lots of carrying kids and skis around. Six miles yesterday with a few strides felt odd and afterwards my legs felt like they'd done a lot more. Going to try some sort of tempo tonight - details will depend on what time I can get out.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That is bad news, McF. Hope the recovery is swift.

I usually find running quite awkward when I've not done it for a week or so, and have doms afterwards.

Hoping to get 10 miles in over lunchtime. Was supposed to be doing intervals but still feeling a little jaded from the weekend.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    DT19 said:

I usually find running quite awkward when I've not done it for a week or so, and have doms afterwards.

You should try having months off !! It's a bit like wading through treacle wearing calipers with an elephant hanging on your back.

McF - sorry to hear and i hope you mend soon. For info, the hen fingering did the trick and she seems as happy as ever now :)

Nothing to report here with the last 5 weeks being 9-9-0-0-0. I'm sure the shin splints will have disappeared now but i can't be arsed B) I jogged about 100 yards on the way to work the other day and was blowing out of my backside !!
  • Options
    Alternatively, some people find that when they take two weeks off their first run back is in the style of a frolicking lamb (see above).
  • Options
    Oh cripes that is rough McFlooze. Good luck getting it all sorted out.

Congratulations on the bimbling Lit, I feel asking how the calves were carries too much of a double meaning ...

HA - I'm not one for stretching much either but through trial and error range of motion stuff after a hard effort seems to work best for me.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Bob and Mr V have still not been able to bring themselves to look at the new forum. I notice Bob has stopped posting runs on connect so wonder if he has fallen off the wagon.

Tommy, as our official go between with Bob, any news?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ooh! I've just earned the 25 LOLs badge!!! (Let's ignore the fact that 100% of them are from Pete).

Also, I have been promoted to level 3.
  • Options

Also promoted to level 3, just the once so far though.

• Options
    Saw the surgeon today. Confirmed surgery will be necessary - timescales depend on what the MRI says. If just the ACL there's no rush but if the cartilage is also damaged they will want to repair Asap and will do ACL reconstruction at the same time. But the "urgent" MRI will take approx 3 weeks. 

Lit - how did I know you would be annoyingly bouncy after a lay-off? That'll be what did your achilles!  :D
  • Options

Blimey McF, that sounds a bit nasty. Hope you manage to get it all sorted quickly.

DT - as it happens I've just had an email from Bob. He's been running and is in our team for the Midland road relays. He's been keeping an eye on the thread so has managed to migrate over to here.

11 miles last night which took me to over 30 miles in 3 days (including 2 races)  which is a bit much for me really. Will dodge track tonight and have an easy or rest day instead.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That does sound crap, McF. How have you managed to see a surgeon so quickly. It would take me longer to see a GP!

Thanks for the Bob update, Tommy.

Just did a nice easy 10 miler over lunch. Decent stats given I am still a little jaded from the weekend. It presents me with some confusion for Sunday as I am now running (hr v pace stats) at the same level I was last September and October, yet back then I felt much stronger and fitter and happier to attack a half at 6.20s pace. I am not sure if it is a confidence thing, but I just don't feel it in the same way right now.

Do I trust the stats or trust my own judgement which could well be skewed?

• Options
    Tommy2D said:

He's been keeping an eye on the thread so has managed to migrate over to here.

Yes, but has he been promoted to level 3?

DT - I would not have any stats, so I would trust my own judgment. However, you might consider just running the half to feel and not looking at your watch, then you won't have to worry about whether it's 6:20 pace or faster or slower, just whether it feels like the right amount of effort.

Hope you can get your MRI sooner than that, McF!

I went out for a lunchtime bounce-fest (following the 'up to 6 miles on alternate days' advice) and felt more comfortable than Sunday if anything, possibly because I was going faster. I am seeing the physio again tomorrow and also going to a thrilling new (to me) pilates reformer class.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'm sure i tested the @ way of tagging someone before and not sure it worked.
    But apparently it does now, so erm @literatin and @Skinny Fetish Fan hello

Can you both confirm if you got notifications of this, as one had the " " marks in, and one didn't.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Looks like Tommy and Mace have received the" name dropper" badge before, so apologiesif this was covered yonks back....

for my name you have to use the " " due to my space!
    test @Stevie G