Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

My mate is currently setting up the course at Wollaton Park.

They're flooding one of the laps at the moment... (we go through the middle of that stream)

• Options
    :| Looks delightful
  • Options
    Oh good, looks like my coach lied to me then; would much rather go to Sutton if we do go.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    They purposely create a water section?
    How pointless!
  • Options
    Do they still put that massive great log pointlessly halfway down a hill?
  • Options

I think they've basically extended the water section rather than create one. Still fairly pointless. My mate was talking to the guy who designed the course and he was told by the organisers to make it as muddy as possible. His comment was 'there's going to be a lot of shoes come off but it should be a lot of fun'.

Lit - don't know about that stupid log.

• Options
    Oh! I remember now, I was thinking of the inter-counties xc, which I'll never qualify for ever again in any case. It's the Scottish national xc tomorrow as well, in Falkirk, but that tends to be a sensible proper xc course. I'm not running but such is my dedication to the cause that I have offered to go and watch in the freezing sleet blizzards. This may or may not be out of a sense of crippling guilt for having forced my friends to enter.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Lit, my first ever Xc race had a tree blocking a path. I still love the photo of me hurding it.
    Only ever race i wore gloves in, it was a super cold January morning in 2006. Regretted having them on about 1/2mile in. 

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

National XC yesterday was good fun! The course was runnable in most places and the flooded / boggy bits were fairly short so didn't cause too much of an issue although there was some pretty deep bits (see photo). 

The cavalry charge at the start was amusing as usual and the first kilometre or so was fairly crowded but then it opened up. Was running with my club mate for a while but he opene dup a bit of a gap which I couldn't really bridge and he just stayed a similar distance ahead of me for the rest of the race. First six miles I felt pretty good and then the last 1.75 miles were a bit of a grind (possibly to do with doing a 20 minute parkrun on an undulating course that morning) but I managed to hold pace and position. Finished in 54 mins, which is about 10 minutes quicker than last year, albeit different venue, different course and about 400 places higher.

Thoroughly recommend that everyone runs The National XC at last once.

Bit muddy...

• Options
    You definitely look a fair bit less miserable than everyone else in that picture!
  • Options
    Well done Pete! Do you think that anorak man struggled in the wind because anoraks are not very aerodynamic? I've also awarded you a LOL for 'my nemesis, Brian', which actually did make me LOL in real life.
  • Options

Excellent Pete! Congrats on taking down Brian, I'd forgotten about your nemesis.

How about this for a 10k? I've been asked to run with my mate.

https://www.sportstoursinternational.co.uk/events/manchester-10k/

• Options
    Thanks for the like and lol, Tommy and lit.  Perhaps due to those, I have received the dreaded level 3 notification and email!  I think anorak man was just a shit runner who set off way too fast for his ability.  It wasn't even a lightweight running job but a full weatherproof one.  Even I was running in vest and shorts (but did wear gloves) so anorak totally uncalled for.  It wasn't even raining.  And yes, it probably inflated in the wind and acted like a parachute.
    I was thinking more in terms of Lancaster next weekend,Tommy, but remind me about Manchester nearer the time, please.
  • Options
    Well done on the xc improvements Tommy. I was thinking I may give it another go with some mud claws - but thanks for dissuading me with that photo.

I lol'ed too Pete, because Brian is such a villainous sounding nemesis. Superbly well done on the improvement of your previous purple patch time. All hail the new purple patch !

I felt the endurance starting to seep into my legs this morning and managed 21 miles at close on 7 min/mile pace. It was also my son's 7th birthday so I ate lots of junk food at his party all afternoon and now I feel I must do a short recovery run to rid myself of some ex- stress while my cottage pie gently cooks.

• Options
    literatin said:
    Btw I went to see a physio today recommended by my massage therapist. Apparently all my issues stem from my total lack of any flexibility anywhere in my entire body; who'd have thought that would be a problem?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/they-say-runners-need-flexibility-but-you-may-be-surprised-at-the-latest-thinking/2017/02/24/10954520-f9f4-11e6-9845-576c69081518_story.html
  • Options
    Hahahaha. I am just laughing at the idea that I am ever likely to develop 'too much' flexibility by doing anything at all. To be fair to my physio, he talked a lot about mobility, which I was thinking of as pretty similar to flexibility.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for butting in across threads. I stopped all but a few stretches a while ago Muddy, thinking something similar to that article. I came up with the thought when dealing with a hip flexor problem. Nice to know I wasn't completely full of rubbish. Well, not this time anyway.

Lit - I think mobility is about the range of movement at a joint, which might be restricted by muscles, ligaments, joint capsules or nerves, while flexibility is about the length of muscles. 

OK back to the P&D thread.
  • Options
    Having just got back from a yoga weekend I could ramble on about the above but a bit busy right now.

Well done on XC Tommy, nice muddy photo and excellent running in the Lostock 9.6 Pete.

12,16 = 28 

8 weeks to go - time to get serious.
  • Options
    I do apologise for my sloppy use of language. I still think flexibility is about how bendy you are though. Anyway I think we can safely say that neither flexibility nor mobility are features of my body. I hate yoga.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ha, there are some miserable looking photo's in that picture, Tommy. Well done on a double race day!

Well done in Lostock, Pete. I was expecting the story to end in a prize. Just goes to show the quality of runners still going in that age group.

I managed a 12, 8 and 7.5 (5 at mp) and 2 x spin in the 4 training days available to me last week. As you say, Skinny, I think now is serious time.

I just about survived Edinburgh undamaged ( 2 years ago I did my ankle there badly whilst drunk walking on the cobbles) though I have almost completely lost my voice. I cut both nights a couple of hours shorter than the others which has seemingly made quite a big difference in how I felt. Droitwich half next Sunday so need to get most of my training in, in the first half of the week to provide a mini taper.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Pete. I stayed in Northwich Lostock Gralam a few weeks back, no idea if it's the same place, probably not!
    Surprised by your post Lit, i always thought you were one of the more strong cored, and thus flexi type runners, amongst a lot of super tight immobile jointed types (like me!)

I've had spells doing jack all stretching, and times doing huge amounts, but what I do now seems to be a lovely mix, perhaps 5-10mins post run.
    I have no doubt i'd need at least 5mins of deep hamstring stretches to be able to touch my toes though.
    The one time I tried to really do loads of core, I overdid it, and basically locked my hamstrings for 6months!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I used to do a lot of robust stretching but still got niggles and then I think Mr V suggested I might be doing more harm than good. I know do a more sensible amount and only up it a bit if I feel things tighten up.

SG, I have been having this problem with my hamstrings since I pulled my lower back out late September. I have gone from having no tightness or hamstring issues and them being pretty strong to them getting really tight and fatigued with anything over about 8 miles. This obviously is not helpful when marathon training. I have now started trying some intense hamstring and glute isolation exercises to see if that helps.

• Options

Cheers all. A lot of photos I've seen are mostly of people looking miserable.

This video includes the start plus an extended clip from the muddy water jump, plenty of fallers including the guy who was in third.

https://www.facebook.com/IlkestonRunningClub/videos/1316511678415138/

As I say, even if you hate cross country, I would recommend taking part in The Nationals just for the experience.

Ticking over this week and next before target half marathon. Not really sure what to do session wise.  

• Options
    Stevie G said:
    Nice one Pete. I stayed in Northwich Lostock Gralam a few weeks back, no idea if it's the same place, probably not!

Thanks, SG.  My Lostock is a suburb of Bolton.  Race started very near the football stadium.  Not to be confused with Lostock Hall, which is near Preston.  Nor with your Northwich Lostock Gralam, which is, errr, somewhere else!
  • Options

Well done on XC Tommy, nice muddy photo and excellent running in the Lostock 9.6 Pete.

If you're rounding to one decimal place, that should be 9.7 :)   6 divided by 0.6214 = 9.6556...   Mr H for maths advice!
  • Options
    Breaking news...I've been promoted to level 3.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm delighted for you, Tommy.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Pete - ta for clarification, my northern geography is pony to say the least. After years of doing trips to watch Man Utd in 1 go, which is a real long day, especially as a runner who needs to keep fresh, I've started the odd stay over.
    You learn quickly that what one company label as a place can be a fair mileage away from another. Take Warrington...Premier Inn, lovely location right on the M6, ideal to find late at night after a long day(i mean for travel links rather than scenery of course!). Warington Travelodge....not very close to anything, and a nightmare to find down dodgy country lanes late on!

DT, hope it passes. I've had a few of these "i can't see the back of this" long stretches, the hamstring one was oh so close in the memory. I just sort of went into rehab mode, and made sure i got a 6&4 in every day. Can't even remember how it went, probably just faithful stretching. I'm sure you'll have seen an expert, but i'd recommend an Oesteopath, for an all over look, rather than one of those "manipulator" physio types, that seem to think anything can be healed with one click!