Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    We should write it all down here, and make helpful suggestions to one another :smile:
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Good idea! I will report on whether I had my period or not and what I thought of Ron's sessions. :)
  • Options
    DT19 said:
    ok...an injury then.
    I didn't.
  • Options
    literatin said:
    Good idea! I will report on whether I had my period or not and what I thought of Ron's sessions. :)
    Perhaps TTT'Dan could set up a red highlighted cell with a slight gold tint for the one who has the best periods (most regular, most bloody, most painful, worst PMT, no PMT - I'd have to leave it to you experts to come up with the criteria).
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well Lit is the only active female at present so she would get the red call. Marrows and madbee would not be able to take part in short term of course. 
  • Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    literatin said:
    Perhaps TTT'Dan could set up a red highlighted cell with a slight gold tint for the one who has the best periods (most regular, most bloody, most painful, worst PMT, no PMT - I'd have to leave it to you experts to come up with the criteria).
    Nope, not ever  :s
  • Options
    Sigh, there I was hoping we could just all share, and it got silly.

In the interests of sharing knowledge, I had a physio visit today which has ruled out issues with my hip/pelvis but there is some gluteal tendinopathy that I will need to work on for a while.

http://www.running-physio.com/gluteal-tendinopathy/

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Well, we do all share stuff anyway, don't we Muddy? But that's a bit different to logging patterns in a diary because - apart from Skinny who seems to be able to dredge up examples of everything from months ago - you wouldn't be able to keep track of health/injury/training patterns just from this thread because there's too much other stuff going on to make long-term patterns visible.
  • Options
    My line of thinking is that jotting stuff down here (which I agree, we do fairly routinely) may increase the chances of someone else joining the dots when the penny hasn't quite dropped with us. Skinny is pretty perceptive and noticed I was having a run of colds a while back, which got me thinking about what was influencing that.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Yes, of course and that is one of the things the thread has been useful for over the years. It's easy to miss stuff though as you lose track. So I've found it quite useful (not just re my coach's feedback) to have everything in one place too (and in far more detail than I'd put on here!). I include everything relevant to running, including results of tests, GP appointments etc. and also a weekly report on my pilates class (which is frequently unconventional) to keep my coach entertained.
  • Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Finally got round to using my running buggy for actual running rather than as an offroader. Mini thedan seemed quite happy with the 30 min, however as I think some others have used them on here I wanted to ask, do you use them for anything other than easy running? I'm not sure I'd be happy doing anything fast with it
  • Options
     I think McFlooze uses them for track sessions - things like 8*400m. Apparently the kids love it!!
  • Options
    I believe mcf parks the buggy by the track when she does those sessions, but I might be wrong.
    i've only done easy running with one, but there are some fairly rapid racing records with them though, so they are certainly capable of handling the sort of speeds we would be talking about
  • Options
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Moz's old way covered it all off. Record your splits, AND have a cell for a general comment. Then you have 2 ways of seeing how things are sitting. He also had room for HR recordings too, which i didn't take up. But then he was a complete don in running terms, with an incredible commitment to his coachees, especially bearing in mind he was very often travelling across Europe!
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Well, I think it is more that we are actually discouraged from worrying about splits except for certain specific sessions, not that our coach can't be arsed with them! I think there is definitely room for both methods - specific paces for some sessions and effort level for others. I'm glad we did all that specific race pace (various) work when you coached me, SG, cos I learned a lot about pacing in actual races, but I'm also glad I can just turn up to sessions now and just think about pacing consistently within the session itself, rather than worrying about hitting particular splits. Especially when not at full fitness or with the low iron problems I had. Obviously having the coach there watching makes the situation slightly different too.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    SG - are you not under his wing any more ?

My interest in running is definitely on the up now the injury problems seem to have gone and i'm hoping to clock up a hefty 20M this week which will mean 12-15-20 in the last 3 weeks. Thoughts about progression and building up a long run reminded me of a favourite blog of mine, where the blogger did lots of miles consisting of 4M doubles most days.

The blogger/blog was a parkrunfan / "Running on a Raisin" and having not visited for quite a while i went off to have a look at what he's been up to. His last post was about a cancerous growth in his scalp which he had removed last May and after a bit of stalking it seems he had his usual year full of races last year but this year he did a 5k and a marathon in Feb then seems to have stopped. Exactly the same for his other half.

Fingers crossed all is ok for him
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Mace, I understand on good authority that they both emigrated to New Zealand at the start of the year but have still been running lots out there. Perhaps as a result he has not had time to blog I would guess.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Lit, the overall set up now has re-invogorated you, so you did well to stumble on that set up. I'm experiencing something along those lines with my club albeit not to train with as such, but i just love their active FB page, relays, constant mentioning of races and places coming available every week and general vibe.

Mace - stopped about 2 years ago. With my July 2015 half drama, I had to put it on a very definite "hold", and it proved to be such a saga and very unclear to what level i could push, so there wasn't a point in being given a schedule, it'd have been frustrating both ways round! It came to a natural end. But it was a real privilege, tonnes of pbs, and that confidence that a hard sounding session was doable, and it was leading to top fitness.

Now that element is less clear, but i still use the Moz structure, but tend to work to a 12session 5k plan that makes me work harder and longer and is bringing the best splits i've ever done, so i'm cautiously optimistic, and 5k wise, i'm in and around whatever i ever did.
    We'll find out for longer stuff soon! The beauty is that if any race is one i fancy, it's on the agenda, as when you've had uncertainty about even running again, just racing is great, let along being  fairly competitive! 

DT - i met PRF once, good guy. The bit that struck me was how laid back he was in terms of pretty much all the "rules" of running i'd taken as gospel.

Racking up 1,000s of miles in shoes, racing very frequently, never resting, all those sort of things. Probably helped that he did what a lot of us really struggle with, and truly ran easy. Rather than sitting at the top end of our calculated zones and claiming it as such :)
    Needless to say he loved a parkrun, literally every single week. I managed a spell of about 6 in 8 weeks once, but those early wakeups on a Saturday after week of 6ams were never going to be forever
  • Options
    He did Carlisle parkrun earlier this year I think but I just remember that on the results page he stood out because he had done nearly 400 parkruns!! Or nearly 8 years worth of Saturday mornings.

StevieG said 'and that confidence that a hard sounding session was doable, and it was leading to top fitness.'

Yes you also managed to transfer that same confidence to me for that period you helped me out. Still much appreciated.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep Skinny, it was a pleasure taking a minor part in both yourself and Lit's progression. And of course, the Moz template was the basis that we worked with.  
    I met prf, Barnsley Runner, Hilly, Pub Phil and Curly all at the Cabbage Patch 10mile race once. That's one hell of a runners world faces meet!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SG- Yes every rule that is cited on here, PRF and HO flout, with a great degree of success.

Is phil pub still posting on here? Wasn't he going for a sub 2.30 at London?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    DT - he has been injured so didn't run London. His partner did really well though.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ah yes, so she did. I had to do some basic detective work to remind myself of her name.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Just noticed the above comments about Running on a Raisin: parkrunfan and partner are indeed in New Zealand. Regularly parkrunning also, surprise, surprise. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Waaah don't delete me! I'm still running a bit. No Pbs, obvs, but I did win a team prize the other week so not a total write off ;) 
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I did a race! It was a 5k in Edinburgh but it was really fucking windy. So I wasn't  very fast (19:08) but am reasonably pleased with it as I reckon if it had not been blowing a bastard gale I'd have done about what I expected at this stage in my fitness, around 18 and a half minutes.
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Madbee - belated congratulations! I don't think DT's threatening you with deletion, just declaring us temporarily ineligible for the DT Award For Lady Habits. It would be fair enough to remove me from the TTT given how little I've raced or posted in the last year, but I'd be sad. By the way, where's your parkrun race report?

Yesterday I ran 1.5 miles and it was really impressive.  The only shorts I can still wear are cycling bib shorts.

Well done at London everyone, especially DT and muddy on the hard-won PBs.  I was watching but missed you all.

Reading about Eliud Kipchoge and the sub 2 attempt this morning (he ran 2:00:24), I discovered that Nike has started making special tape to reduce aerodynamic drag on runners' legs!  How long till it becomes as ubiquitous as compression socks or nose tape?

My sister, who doesn't usually run, entered a marathon with some friends. She trained a bit but developed a leg/ankle injury which hurt even when just swimming, and even after a few weeks' rest. So she went and did the marathon last weekend anyway. From the splits it looks like she jogged a bit, then hobbled the last 23 miles or so. It took about 4h40. An X-ray the following day shows she has broken her fibula. Clean through, and a little displaced - none of my sissy hairline cracks.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    just be be clear, I have at no point suggested pregnant women should he hidden away in the ttt. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    local 10k today. This was the first race I ever ran in 2010 and it's been an aim since to run it sub 40.

It's not an easy course with 360 foot of climbing and it's always sunny, so with an 11am start it gets warm.

Following some horrendous finish line heaving which I refused to stop for, came in with 39.47. I'm usually a good minute slower here than most other courses so bodes well for when I'm fully recovered and get a fresh block of training in. A minute faster than last year as well.