Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Stevie G said:
    Ah the glory days of being on for a pb, and finding that extra needed when it comes to the crunch.

As opposed to the "yeah this'll do" for most races :D
    I always found the worst motivational position was being in a big road race where position was meaningless, not on for a PB but really hurting anyway.
    The worst scenario is being in a big CROSS COUNTRY race, where position is meaningless, where pace per mile are up and down and all over the place, where position is meaningless and it's really hurting anyway :)

Whereas the best all time situation is when you go into a race and you just know that you're better than before, and every mile you just carve time off. Those races are rare, but absolutely marvellous.

Any relative newbies..savour that feeling while it lasts.

• Options
    I see Stevie ... Being a vet sets up some motivation for the race within a race to be the first baldy across the lline. The half this weekend always attracts top quality vets so I will try not to embarrass myself.
  • Options
    Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Stevie G said:
    The worst scenario is being in a big CROSS COUNTRY race, where position is meaningless, where pace per mile are up and down and all over the place, where position is meaningless and it's really hurting anyway :)

So deffos where position is meaningless then? >:)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wrote that in a minimised screen hurry 🐤🐤
  • Options
    Won't be meaningless when my team wins the east district league! (Though hopefully we will get enough good runners out that I won't have to score for the team)
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    But isnt the thing with xc that everyone's position has an effect as even if not in your scoring 6, you can still contribute by finishing ahead of other teams 6th scorer. 
  • Options
    Yes of course, but I just meant if we are relying on me to score we clearly haven't got our best team out! Anyway, it is four to score for women in this particular league.
  • Options
    Stevie G said:

So deffos where position is meaningless then? >:)
    XC-stentialism at its finest.
  • Options
    Ending the week on almost 39 miles but may get out later to shake out yesterday's 13m.  Biggest week yet and don't feel too tired which I'm happy about.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend.

• Options
    Well done David. Remember to schedule the cut back weeks too...

It was windy for my half up in York so bets were off in respect of pb chasing. First half of the race was pretty much a struggle against the wind, which became less direct as the course looped around and came back on itself. I kept the effort about right and wasn't tempted to cling to a pace through the wind. Even with a bit of respite from it between miles 6 to 10, I felt quite tired and the last 3 miles were a total slog. However I finished in 1.17.31 to come in 2nd v45 (£25 prize) and not that far off 1st v45 so all in all it didn't turn out too badly.

As ever the long sleeve souvenir  t was almost worth the trip,  giving my cool down a lovely lilac look. Also lovely to see Madbee and family doing very well. DT will be along later to give his account I'm sure!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good to see Muddy and madbee....i could just leave it there as that was as good as it got really. 

Plan was too not chase a pb as it would have been a fools errand. It was to go out steadtly and progress thtough race. So i went out at 6.30-6.35 and it felt reasonable despite the wind battering us. Mile 5 was a stinker across a very open and exposed area and it was here i realised that i would be progressing nothing! At 10k i was at 6.35 average with no wind respite seeming likely. Therefore i could not persuade myself to work hard to run an inconsequential time like 86.30.  I just capitulated and knocked any effort on the head. I plodded home miserably in 1.28.43. 

Frustrating as i know im way fitter than that. 
  • Options
    Great efforts by both.  You can't legislate for the weather.  Roll on the next one DT.
  • Options
    Surely 1:17:31 in those conditions is your best ever half Muddy?

Hard lines DT - just like the sub 3 marathon surely the stars will align at some point.
  • Options
    Yeah close to Wilmslow 2017 I think. I feel very sore today which is a good indication too.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    On a plus, I don't feel sore at all today, which tells me plenty.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Hard lines chaps, but well done nevertheless.

DT - that's still 13.1 @ around MP which is a decent training run so not all bad

After 2 weeks of very little around xmas/NY i did a little bit more than very little last week with 13M yesterday taking me to 28M for the week. Certainly more difficult and slower than the 15M i did just before xmas.

Banging in the miles  :p

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like a windy day to make a bleak race.

I think my pen pic was a similarly windy day down at Gosport, especially if you aren't close to too many people for long spells!
    The expression says it all!

Having said that Lit still pb'd that day, which showed how on the up she was at that time!
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

DT/Muddy good efforts and some cash too...

David thanks for your comments and will take them on board.

Hi Mace are you doing London again.

Managed 14mls on Saturday avg 8.45m/m, looking at a tempo session tonight aiming for 4mls at hmp approx. 7.30 m/m.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    3.5 at recovery over lunch. My garmin recovery advisor quoted 67 hours after yesterdays run. It was on 43 hours pre run. Post run it quoted 10 hours, which backs up how I am feeling.
  • Options
    Well done both - I was thinking of you while struggling against the wind on my long run, as I had a deadline to get back home for a puppy playdate. Pleased to report that little Sparky is already very speedy.
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Ooo, the thread is alive :smiley: How is everyone?  And hello new people :smile:

It was lovely to see DT and Muddy on Sunday, tough day out, but a great result for Muddy there and good training run for DT - I'm sure you'll smash it next time, and the wind at mile 5 really was draining.  

I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do, having not raced since August (when I won a trail race due to almost complete absence of competition), and spent most of September up to now ill or sort of vaguely injured.  Looking after a mini human takes up a lot of time and mileage has been limited a bit, but I've just entered Edinburgh marathon so I decided to give it a good bash and put down a marker.  Pleased to have started out at what I thought was a slightly ambitious pace in the wind and finish at pretty much the same - I kept expecting to completely fall apart but it never happened so finished in 1:38:27.  Only another ten minutes to take off to get back to previous form...  :D

• Options
    Wow, that's great Madbee!
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Hi Madbee....

9mls last night with 5mls at hmp............ aiming for 7.40m/m but again as last week 7.15, 7.22, 7.35, 7.42 & 8.12, avg 7.37, last couple into a headwind but cant seem to get the pacing right. I have a club session on Thursday which is 9mls, was hoping to do mp effort for some of these miles, what pace should I be looking at given that I seem to be dropping of in pace. I was thinking 7.55m/m. Is this to quick or should I be doing something different in relation to session.

• Options
    DavidHaydon83DavidHaydon83 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi all.

Kevin - do you have a recent race time we could go by?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hello again, Madbee. Pretty decent outcome for you all things considered.

Kevin, your first and last mile are almost 1 minute apart and that's just 5 miles, so if you had to do that for 13, who knows. The problem is it isn't clear how much damage you are doing with the first 2 miles so it's impossible to say what hmp is. What is clear is that at 5 miles you are hanging out of your arse. If that is how you race then I am not surprised you have early issues.

You need to try and do this session but start a bit slower than 7.40 and progress to and maybe beyond it in last mile. When I do 5 miles at hmp none of my miles usually have more than 5 seconds between them and will all be a few seconds either side the runs overall average pace. Your second mile was 7 seconds slower than the first.

Easy 12 for me over lunch.

• Options
    Easy 12 over lunch (something in that sentence must be wrong   :D)

Kevin you pillock - you don't even need us to help you really do you - if you look at the mile times yourself you must realise you're training like an idiot.

Think about the purpose of the training run before you set out and have this clear in your mind. For example last night should have been 3 mile warm up (so very easy), 5 miles at HMP which I remember as about 7:40, then 1 mile cool down (which will be slow if you have done the session right).

Now 5 miles at HMP is pretty tough anyway but when you set off at 5k pace that makes it a totally unachievable exercise (although you will have got some benefit from running what for you were a couple of pretty fast miles).

But what it feels like you need is a 12 week plan building to a race with some gradual build up to some key sessions rather than just going out and flogging your nuts whenever you do a session. Knowing the plan builds should help you focus on sticking to the paces and actually doing the session planned.

So it may be that 7:40 is your HMP but 2*3miles at HMP off maybe 2 mins rest is an absolute monster at maybe week 10 of your cycle. There wold be no harm at this stage starting off with 3*1 mile at HMP and a couple of Steady (or even Easy) miles in between. You could have done this last night and felt a lot better about yourself than you probably did.

You may even have been able to do 3*1 mile at 7:15 if you had stuck a couple of easy miles into the gaps but that's not the point - training does not need to be at your limit although it may build to that - most of the time it should be comfortably difficult.
  • Options
    I'd echo Skinny's and DT's words.  Slow things down a bit at the beginning of your session and conserve your energy for the last couple of reps.  It's easy to go out and feel great and bound along only to regret things a few miles in.

Yes Skinny, wish I had a lunch break I could fit 12 miles into :smiley:
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Kevin, it sounds like we are a similar sort of pace currently - If I were doing a HMP session I wouldn't allow any of the earlier miles to be quicker than 7:25.  Someone (here, I think) gave me a great tip to set yourself a pace range of 5 seconds either side of your goal pace and no more.  It has worked for me in races and training.  It looks at a brief glance at earlier posts like you are running your easier runs a bit quicker than I would too - most of these I would do around 8:30-9:00 per mile, then there is a lot more energy available for harder stuff when you come to do it.  What kind of pace are your warm-up miles, out of interest?

7:55-8:00 sounds fairly realistic for MP if you are capable of a 1:40 half - but don't go any faster, and make sure the other miles are really easy.

What does a week's training look like?  (Sorry, tell me to shut up if you've all already gone through this!)
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I am probably pushing the boundaries to the limit with a 12, however I don't now have to go home and do it in the dark.
  • Options
    I think the last couple of Kevin's miles were into a headwind which mitigates things slightly. I was dropping 20s per mile (conservative estimate) at constant effort when directly into the wind on Sunday, and would have blown myself to smithereens if I'd gone for a 5s a mile pace swing against nominal half pace of 5:50 min/mile DT. Kevin may have gone from wind assisted to wind affected and had a bigger swing than 20s. Nevertheless, I would  agree that a 1 minute per mile difference between first and last miles is rather a severe penalty and does suggest overdoing it in the first few miles.

Where I agree completely with Skinny is that the session is biting off far too much and the progressive approach in session difficulty and pacing is much more preferable.

As to pace, It's a chicken and egg situation and pure guess work until we have a benchmark race where Kevin feels that he committed too and sustained an all out effort. Even if he goes off too fast, and slows down towards the end, the average pace over the distance will help us figure out a ballpark set of training paces - much as Madbee has suggested based on their similar half times.