Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Kevin, worth looking at my splits from today. 7 seconds between slowest and fastest mile with slowest being first mile and fastest being last and the second half miles all faster than average session pace. 
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    McF - nice week and LT'ing  B)

I felt quite tired yesterday morning and didn't fancy a couple of the steep inclines on my favourite long run route so i reversed it and the steep declines played havoc with my toes and knees. The right knee has been a bit tender this week so i need to be careful and have been sticking to grass whenever possible.

Started to flag at 13 just after i kicked a kerb and nearly went arse over tit, but strangely i picked up a bit afterwards and put in my 2 quickest miles at the end. Could have done a bit more but my toes were ruined and i walked half mile home as a cool down.

16 miles and 53.5 for the week which i'm more than happy with !!

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

It was quite windy in 1 direction around the racecourse ...

Considering your penchant for roaring, I can't help but imagine a great deal of neighing and snorting like a thoroughbred during this run
  • Options
    OMG that puppy is so tiny! <3
  • Options
    That job sounds handy Madbee. There's not much about my job that couldn't be done from home 90% of the time, but still we are limited to one day per week from home.

McF - Amazing mileage, xc-ing and tough LT runs (reminds me there is a photo of you on our club FB group from the county champs. Our club lady is behind you but you are centre stage) 

Well done on the mileage and the cute sleepy miniature pug puppy Mace.

Well done on another hard session banked DT.

I managed 55 miles last week but all very easy apart from parkrun Saturday in 17.19 (11th of 919). It wasn't a top end effort as I still had some lingering fatigue from last weekend so it came out about the same effort as for the half - which I think indicates how much the wind affected things. Much contrast with the dry, still, cool conditions yesterday  :/ I had a hilly Cotswolds walk in the morning and then an urban 17m long slow run in the afternoon to kick off the first lsr of the marathon campaign. I am starving today. Half my lunch has been eaten already.

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Tommy, most people on here seem to race quiet a lot, I think I need to look at this to help me, hope your knee/shin is ok now

McFlooze, agree that pacing is key for me. Good mileage, are you doing London

DT, looking to be more consistent with mile splits tonight, hopefully like yours

Mace/Muddy don't think I've got into the 50 miles before

I did 15mls on Saturday easy pace 8.55m/m and trying another session of pacing correctly tonight (hopefully) :(

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Kevin, better to start at the slower end of the pace scale and finish strong.

Going very well now, Mcf!

Muddy, Yep, yesterday (as would any other Sunday in the 4 weeks prior to last Sunday) would have been perfect to race a half! Decent parkrun to be at hmp effort.

Mace, it's no doubt a pleasant image for you, but unfortunately I reserve strange animal noises purely for race day. Nice puppy! My mate got a puppy recently and says it's like having a baby again.

I trudged out 17 yesterday. Didn't feel great for the main part and forgot that 17 miles is quite a long way to trudge! 49.5 last week so decent following the Brass Monkey.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    DT - I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually recommended your roaring to one of my teammates at the cross country on Saturday - she tends to get a bit overwhelmed with adrenalin towards the end of a race and feels sick, gets a stitch etc., so we were trying to think of ways to help her relax a bit! Anyway, we had a good result at Livingston, winning the senior/U20 ladies competition in the league - I wasn't in the scoring team (of 4) but still managed to come 25th (ahead of the fourth scorer in the second-placed team) and 6th woman in my club.

I can confirm that since having a puppy my partner and I mainly talk about poo and wee. I imagine this is similar to having an actual baby, as is having to tie long hair back at all times in case the puppy/baby tries to pull it out. Dog toys look the exact same as baby toys, and we have two stylish new stairgates.
  • Options
    PS I did 17 yesterday too. Quite enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Finished on just over 40 miles last week and was quite tired by the end of it all.  Saturday's 13, albeit slower than my previous 13m effort, felt better in terms of leg fatigue so that was good.  Thursday's quality session was also quite hard but glad to get it in the bag.

Today was a nice easy 7.  Great weather here in London at the moment.  Was thinking of dropping the mileage this week but will go another week (which will be 3) and do fewer miles next week.

Lovely puppy mace.  I now want one :smile:
  • Options
    Nice running literatin.  Please don't encourage DT and his roaring.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Lit, I am not sure how you can suggest/explain to someone that they try roaring in a race and they take it on board! I think if someone suggested that to me i'd think they were winding me up!

6 mile recovery last night at 8.30mm followed by spin. Session over lunchtime.

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Lots of good mileage from both David and DT,

Lit roaring is maybe something I need to do to myself throughout a race not just at the end :)

9mls last night weather very wet and windy in Glasgow so just tried to run to effort rather than time and keep front runners in sight and others from going by... elbows out :p avg for the 6mls session 7.58. m/m

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That job sounds handy Madbee. There's not much about my job that couldn't be done from home 90% of the time, but still we are limited to one day per week from home.

McF - Amazing mileage, xc-ing and tough LT runs (reminds me there is a photo of you on our club FB group from the county champs. Our club lady is behind you but you are centre stage) 

Well done on the mileage and the cute sleepy miniature pug puppy Mace.

Well done on another hard session banked DT.

I managed 55 miles last week but all very easy apart from parkrun Saturday in 17.19 (11th of 919). It wasn't a top end effort as I still had some lingering fatigue from last weekend so it came out about the same effort as for the half - which I think indicates how much the wind affected things. Much contrast with the dry, still, cool conditions yesterday  :/ I had a hilly Cotswolds walk in the morning and then an urban 17m long slow run in the afternoon to kick off the first lsr of the marathon campaign. I am starving today. Half my lunch has been eaten already.

A 17.19 at HM effort is a terrific time.

I'd get a 5k in at 5k effort soon, as that'd be low 16s job?

<3 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, SG. One of my favourite Katy Perry videos as well...
  • Options
    DT - I recommended that she shout the name of our club while charging over the finish line. I'm not sure if she will though.
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Stevie G said:

A 17.19 at HM effort is a terrific time.

I'd get a 5k in at 5k effort soon, as that'd be low 16s job?

<3 
    I sense some doubt and lack of context. Some recent stats:

The parkrun above averaged 158 bpm, 5.40 pace (in mid-November I ran the same parkrun in 17.18 averaging 161 bpm). My 10k race NYE averaged 162 bpm, 5:31 pace. Recent half in strong wind averaged 157 bpm for 5.54 pace. The first two were in great conditions and both relatively flat and so are more obviously comparable - so you see I was putting in less of a shift over 5k than I sustained over 10k, and the former shift was more around the effort I put in over the half marathon. Probably 5:45-5:48 pace is a realistic extrapolation for a half over a flat course in good conditions; I raced 10 miles at 5:49 min/mile over an undulating course start of December and I've not gone backwards. 

Having said that, I don't convert down to 5k that well Stevie - never have - but when rested I'll do a proper 5k effort (though without any specific training). That won't be for a while though as marathon mileage is now the main aim with a couple of potential half marathon slots booked in which I'll pick and choose from according to the weather forecast and how rested I am at the time.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just teasing you Muds.
    It can all get too earnestly serious all the time otherwise  :D

• Options
    Did something a little daft at lunch.  Went out intending a 5m easy but it turned into 4.7 @ 6:50.  Should I just treat this as my quality session for this week and make the rest of the miles easy?

Thanks as always.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    No, I think you need to sit on the naughty step for the rest of the week and think about what you've done. 
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    More juggling around with the schedule this week to take into account that I'm running the Midlands XC champs on Saturday, any other Midlanders doing this? Can't wait for the comedy ditch crossing. 

Managed 14 last night including an 8 mile club run. Will have a couple of easy days before a BAC marathon session and hopefully not be too ruined for the Midlands on Saturday. 
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Bugger :neutral:

I'm sure you'll be fine doing your planned quality session later in the week!
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Here's something the stattos might like. Fastest parkruns based on average SSS from Run Britain for the last 12 months;

1 Victoria Dock 0.87
    2 Hackney Marshes 0.92
    3 Worthing 1.05
    4 Pegwell Bay 1.15
    5 Eden Project 1.16
    6 Dulwich 1.16
    7 Heslington 1.16
    8 Aberbeeg 1.17
    9 Long Eaton 1.18
    10 Walsall Arboretum 1.19

DT's favourite - Worcester Pitchcroft comes in at 14th. 
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    and the slowest:

570 Lanark Moor 5.33
    571 Wepre 5.38
    572 Flatts Lane 5.47
    573 Chadderton Hall 5.50
    574 Bevendean Down 5.56
    575 Drumchapel 5.60
    576 Watergrove 5.72
    577 Mount Edgcumbe 5.77
    578 Whinlatter Forest 6.00
    579 Churchfields Farm 6.00
    580 Woolacombe Dunes 6.00

• Options
    In that case Stevie, I hope you enjoyed that little example of how feedback from the heart rate monitor can help you understand your progression in fitness ;)

David, I take a more moderate line. No naughty step - but I would make the session later in the week less difficult than it otherwise would have been. Clearly recovery from last week isn't an issue so maybe you can start to cope with two sessions per week ?

I'm nowhere near the cross country Tommy, but good luck with it, and the re-scheduling.

Progressive 4 miles with 1 mile cooldown at lunchtime - I was short on time and have a heavy cold so was happy enough with that as a moderate quality outing.

• Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Walsall Arboretum is 20 mins drive from me ... may have to pick that one out for my low 16's 5k attempt  :D Could also drop in on Mace at Pegwell Bay .. but would be a mighty early start to get there ...
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I posted the full list of this earlier on the 3.15 forum. There are a number of issues with the method of calculating this that mean a pinch of salt should be applied. Churchfields is a new one that started by me at the start of January and is apparently deserving of it's current position.

I suspect that Worcester has fallen from 1st place last year as it was unquestionably short. It's now if anything perfect/slightly long.

David, what else is planned this week?

Tommy, xc isn't on the agenda for me at all this season.

Session over lunch of 10 x 1k at hmp-10kp off 1 minute. Looked pretty reasonable on paper but once into the second half of it I was blowing!! Reps came in- 4.01, 3.54, 3.52, 3.53, 3.53, 3.48, 3.53, 3.48, 3.55 and 3.49.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Yes, as muddy alludes to, Pegwell is my local parkrun and these days it's only about 2.9M as a load of groundwork had to be done last year and it's fudged the course up. Due to the tight nature of the course, there's not a lot they can do to get the distance up without affecting safety or having 200 people run around picnic benches for a few hundred yards.

I haven't been down there for a parkrun for a couple years now but would make the effort for you muddy  ;)