Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Good luck DT

Bob well done on your time

Skinny good to see you getting out to run

David, I have been trying to do some trail miles up my way, its good to get off road

Muddy good protein those flies ;)

9mls last night with my wife, she has had a thigh/calf injury for years and cant seem to shake it off, physio/stretching but still no luck. Pain seems to go away a couple of miles in after a few stops. She is getting a wee bit demoralised but trying to keep her going.

• Options
    Cheers Skinny.  56,000 feet ascent.  Staggering.  What an amazing triumph.

5m progression today and the heat got to me a little bit.  Had to take a breather before the last 1.5 miles @ 10k pace.  Just about got it done though.  Recovery run tomorrow for sure.
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Nicky Spinks is amazing.  Fact!  Well done on your progression run, David.  

Kevin - is your wife's injury thigh AND calf?  On same side?  What does the physio say?

More reps yesterday at lunchtime.  4x200m, 2x400m, 1x 800m, 2x400m, 4x200m. Equal distance jog recoveries.  Struggled to quite hit the pace on the 800 (6:13 pace when aiming for 6:02).  But the rest were fine and more like 5:50ish pace.  

Easy run today and then Ryton 5 tomorrow so will see where I am on the shorter stuff. I'm not tapering or anything so will just do what I can.   

Did I see some people are racing tonight?  

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes, I am off to Notts for the Trent 5, McF. Nice and still here, hopefully the same there as well.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Aw, I miss the Trent 5. Top tip: avoid the toilets nearest the course, and take in the Boathouse cafe toilets just past the marina as part of your warm-up.

Btw forgot to say how delighted I am that Skinny has booked a session with Bonkers Barefoot Running Man. Looking forward to hearing all about it!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip, Lit. No doubt a toilet trip will be necessary at some point pre-race.
  • Options
    I am childfree tonight but have to be in the office by day which extends my travel time by an hour at least, so Trent 5 is not going to be doable. Good luck DT and maybe Bob !

May have a quick look to to see if anything more local is on, but 8m with some eyeballs out hill reps to finish  yesterday might not be the best preparation for it.

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

David - well done for digging in on the reps.

McFlooze - pain is more a burning sensation and tightness in thigh for some miles then disapears, always at the start of a run. Physio gave her exercises to strengthen area relating to lazy ass :D

DT - good luck with your race

Muddy -  eye balls out :s

Running with a wee group tonight 7mls

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

The fell race last night was pretty savage, 6.5 miles with nearly 1500ft of elevation gain. I was going fairly well until about 4.5 miles then my legs pretty much turned to jelly and I didn't trust them on the steep rocky descents so lost a shit load of places. Managed to pull myself together for the efinal nasty climb and following descent and subsquent pointless lap of a cricket pitch. A great thing about this race is a great pub at the finish literally on th eboundary of the cricket pitch, dad a drink with a few of lit's ex club mates afterwards. A good race which I'd do again.   

The most bizarre thing about the race was the antics of a bloke hwo was running fairly near me who appeared to be having some sort of psychotic episode. As we were making our way up the first climb he was hitting hmself on the head with his knuckles and shouting encouragement to himself which then turned in to giving himself a telling off. Before we started the first descent he roared 'don't feed the excuses!' before dissapearing off down the hill. Most odd! 

Looking forward to spectating at Trent 5 this evening. Have tried to get Bob a place but not sure if there's any availble.  

• Options
    Tommy2D said:

Managed to pull myself together for the efinal nasty climb

‘efinal’ as in f’in hell?

That jelly legged feeling whilst having to descend over that terrain must be a bit of a nightmare - well done anyhow.

Did the psychotic guy have bare feet? 
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    I just looked at your Strava, Tommy! A two mile mahoosive climb to kick off a race?! That IS savage. 

Anyone coming to Ryton 5 tomorrow?  £6 for affiliated.  Bargain.  
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Tommy2D said:

Managed to pull myself together for the efinal nasty climb

‘efinal’ as in f’in hell?

That jelly legged feeling whilst having to descend over that terrain must be a bit of a nightmare - well done anyhow.

Did the psychotic guy have bare feet? 

I think I did swear in that fashion when the marshal sent us up the final hill.

I'm pretty sure he was wearing shoes, can't be sure though as I was making sure I avoided getting hit by a stray fist as he punched himself in the head.

McFlooze said:
    I just looked at your Strava, Tommy! A two mile mahoosive climb to kick off a race?! That IS savage. 

Anyone coming to Ryton 5 tomorrow?  £6 for affiliated.  Bargain.  

Yes. That was a particularly delightful way to start a race. In hindsight I burnt way too many matches going up that hill and paid for it late on.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sounds fun, Tommy!!

leaving now, so I have 2.5 hours to do a 100 minute journey! A long way for 30 ish minutes racing.

• Options
    DT19 said:

A long way for 30 ish minutes racing.

Ooooooh - it was 31 ish minutes yesterday...…….>:)
  • Options
    Big-Bad-BobBig-Bad-Bob ✭✭✭
    No joy on the place for tonight so far. Seems that I (or perhaps they) will need to know of someone not turning up to get a place, but will chance my arm and if I draw a blank, will set off round the course for 5 x 0.5m @ 5k target pace'ish far enough in advance to get back round before the leaders. Should confuse the marshals a bit when they see me on the course only shortly before they'll be expecting 300 racers, blowing out of my 'arris race-stylee and without a number completely on my Jack Jones.   :#
    McF - Managed to avoid the background taste of blood on Monday thankfully...though that probably means I wasn't running hard enough as I usually get it. Good set of reps you posted there. Was briefly tempted by the Ryton 5 tomorrow if I have no joy tonight, but don't think I'll risk asking for a 3rd pass out in 4 nights at home.
    Trails and Ultras? Not for me, kids. Good work on the annual mileage though, David. Do strange races, expect strange folks, Tommy!
    Plenty of empathy with your wife from plenty on here, Kevin...good luck to her.
    I'll tell everyone else to avoid the Boathouse cafe toilets then, Lit now DT's aware of them, and will no doubt be setting up 'base camp'! Is that where we had breakfast cobs and hot drinks a few years ago after a bitterly cold parkrun?
    Good luck if you do try an alternative, Muddy - and see you at the race DT and Tommy.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    That's the one, Bob - bacon & egg cob and a cup of coffee for only £2. He also does jerk chicken and curry goat on weekends, I think. I used to run past there all the time and Tony would always cheer me on (on my easy training run!) if he was standing outside.
  • Options
    literatin said:
    That's the one, Bob - bacon & egg cob and a cup of coffee for only £2.
    That's pretty unbeatable value!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    sub 31 is the A goal, Skinny. B goal is a pb (31.11). Here now wairing to get my number. There is a sign up which says that even if someone doesnt show they are not allowed to take entries on night. 

Popped into first thing that looked like a toilet. Odd no light or lock but was bursting. There was a chain to pull so seemed fine. Looks like it was where canal barge users empty their buckets. Close enough though. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yep, im still crap at these shorter distances. 31.00 on watch, chip timing might help me out possibly. A pb but i really ought to be faster based on mara time. 

Good to see Bob and Tommy.  Now to drive home via a kfc. 

Edit- 30.59 on chip. 
  • Options
    Sounds like you hit your A target so well done -  unless you were sandbagging??
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I thought id be able to hold 6.10 average so marginally slower than my stretch goal but just in my A goal.

My comment is more a general observation  that with a 2.57 mara i should be faster at 10k and below. 
  • Options

TTT updated for DT's 5 mile PB improving his time by 12 seconds.

DT if you look at Lit's 5 mile PB it's a minute faster than yours and her marathon PB is 5 mins faster than yours so you are not that out of line.

If you look at my PBs it is my marathon time that is out of line, not my 5m PB.

I agree that you are relatively slower now at the shorter distances but you haven't been training for them - all the time converter calculators specify that you need to have trained specifically for the event. 

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Yes but Skinny if you look at my 10k PB you will notice that my 5 mile PB is actually a bit shit.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

I looked at that and was waiting for Lit to pop in to confirm that point!

Thanks for the swift table update, Skinny.

• Options
    Big-Bad-BobBig-Bad-Bob ✭✭✭
    Good to finally meet you properly last night as well, DT.
    And well done on the PB. Take 'em and enjoy 'em while you can as you never know when they're going to stop coming so regularly...or even altogether - ahem!
    As discussed last night and as per Skinny's comments though, you've not got the specificity of training in you for 10k down yet. Guess your coach will guide you on this, but I'd be looking at starting off with some fast 400 reps @ 3k pace or better to get the legs used to moving faster, then progressing on to sessions like 800m to 1k reps @ 5kp, mile reps @ 10k and all while keeping a solid threshold session at least once every 10 days or so. A month to 6 weeks of that, and I'm sure you'll take some chunks off 5k, 5m and 10k PBs later in the summer.
    That said, biases do exist and does seem yours tends towards the long distances whereas I'm definitely short. I've probably done less than 3 miles in total at Mile pace or better since last December apart from strides and leg speed sessions, concentrating on mileage and sub-LT throughout the winter, with just a splash of fartlek, VO2 max and threshold running here or there, a bit more in the 3k - 5k zone over the last month or so, but with the focus very much on threshold. 
    You'd have thought that would set me up much better for a 5 miler than an 800m, but safe to say that the 30:05 - 30:10 for 5 miles that McMillan would predict for my sub 2:21 on Monday night was never going to happen. I did get a place in the race though, and I'm satisfied enough with how it went, report in a bit.
    :-)
  • Options
    DT19 said:

I looked at that and was waiting for Lit to pop in to confirm that point!

Thanks for the swift table update, Skinny.

Yeah sorry DT - my mistake - you're right, you're shit.

(as are lots of the 5m PBs).

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

That's better, Skinny!!!

I think if 5 milers were easier to find we might all be a bit better. I'll probably run at least 5 x 10k this year, which is more than my historical total of 5m races I think.

Ultimately my long term goal is to run a sub 30, 5 miler. How much time and effort I dedicate to that goal is another matter.

Off last nights race, McMillan predicts a threshold pace of 6.27. If I ran a half at that average pace I would be disappointed.

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

DT- well done on your PB

Tommy - 1500ft elevation gain, hats off to you

7mls last night with a wee group, seem to have picked up a wee injury round about heel ankle, seems like posterior tibialis going by my internet GP :) I run in GT1000 as I wear away my outside heel. See how some stretches go.

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    It sounds pretty decent to me, DT.  PBs are not to be sniffed at!  

There are quite a few 5m races in the WRRL series - Ryton 5, then Sphinx 5 in June and Autumnal 5.  Maybe everyone is thinking of them as being a bit like 10ks and not going out quite hard enough?  

Bob - I'm quite liking the sound of your plan to pre for 5m/10k as that seems to be what my plan is doing which is comforting.  A few weeks focussing on short reps at mile pace, then a few weeks with longer V02max type intervals.  Threshold running weekly.  Will see how tonight goes but this will be a stake in the ground as not been following the plan for long enough just yet.

I think my bias is probably shorter as well, although equal levels of mediocrity across the board.  

Hope it's not too serious, Kevin.