Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

See the source image

Come on Lit - surely it's available in plentiful supply up there?

Sorry for still not posting - the longer I wait the longer the post gets and TTT updates too!

Well done Muddy and Bob and unlucky David but a first 10k time so now you have a target to beat as well as sub 40 still to aim for.

Probably tomorrow before I post properly.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    FFS it's been nearly a week, Skinny!
  • Options
    Thanks folks - sore legs today and a slight tweak to top of my calf. These things come at a cost.

Bob - What did Mrs Bob make of that story ? :hushed:

David - Unlucky with that race - these muggy days of summer are not made for paces but for training imho. Keep the consistency and once the cooler days of autumn kick in, you'll be well under the 40 min mark.

McF - Well done on the Arden 9. You have raced a lot recently too - so maybe a retreat to some easy training might be in order ? I know you've got really good basic speed so maybe the speed work you are doing (while race specific) is tipping you over into fatigue.

Lit - I find 5 miles the hardest ! Mind you there were quite a few that DNF'ed yesterday, a lot of people caught up in the pace of the race were right on the edge from early on due to the humidity.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip Muddy.  I'll keep going at it!
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Muddy, fantastic time, David still a great time, next time for sure, McFlooze/DT plenty of more races to get your bounce back, good luck on Wednesday Bob on your double

Did 15mls on Friday and felt good, going to try some tempo miles tonight :s

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Lit - there are still places....7th July.

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Come on, you know you all want one!  
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Muddy - you might be right but it's easier to fit in a session on a lunchtime than to fit in a 8 miler at nice easy pace.  I think I'm missing my part-time days where I could just chuck a child into a running buggy and go off for a gentle 13 miler every week and not impact on the rest of family life.  Will see where I get to with a few weeks off racing and some iron.  If still feeling crappy I might have a go at some heart rate type training. 
  • Options
    That is a lovely looking medal.  I would be tempted but unfortunately I need to get some training done for an upcoming trip to Everest Base Camp and so am off to Box Hill that weekend for some long and hilly walks.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    what's the connection with the race and elephants? Or is it just a completely random medal?
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    There is a connection with Leamington and elephants.  I think an old circus trainer used to winter in Leamington and there is an elephant house but also an elephant wash where he used to walk the elephants down to drink and wash in the River Leam.  

https://www.ourwarwickshire.org.uk/content/article/elephants-royal-leamington-spa
  • Options
    ….I need to get some training done for an upcoming trip to Everest Base Camp...

Nice and casually dropped in (and then totally ignored by DT and McF :D)

Sounds exciting!

• Options
    I'd love to do the half there McF for obvious reasons but have the muddy-youngster. In any case I wouldn't race it as I have Wyre Forest half at marathon effort the week after. Then the Monty 5k. My babysitter has messaged recently to say she has accepted a position in  Warwick, but she is unavailable both of those weekends.

On the training at lunch thing, I do a lot of my stuff then too. I've had some quite restorative and relaxing weeks and weeks of only easy stuff lately so it was just something that sprang to mind. Takes the session anxiety out of the equation and you can bimble along contentedly and not feel shagged for life's other demands.
  • Options

And me. I thought it was a jokey avoidance excuse.
  • Options

Sounds exciting!

Genuinely didn't mean it to come across like that :blush:   Should have just said I'm going trekking!  

3 weeks walking in the Himalayas.  Really looking forward to it and getting away from London for a while.  
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

mcf, I also note that Coventry city FC have an elephant on their club badge so there is definitely a south Warwickshire elephant thing going on.

So, is just going to the Everest base camp a thing, without progressing up the mountain?

• Options
    DT19 said:

So, is just going to the Everest base camp a thing, without progressing up the mountain?

Yeah you might as well climb it if you're there David, FFS. ;)
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, finger out lad!! Take a good book though, I've seen the queues waiting to reach the top.

It just seems a bit like turning up at Greenwich common on marathon day and waving everyone off.

• Options
    DavidHaydon83DavidHaydon83 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    DT - definitely a thing and the closest thing us mere mortals can get to actually climbing Everest.  Prices to summit Everest start at around £60k.  No thanks!

Base camp is actually quite bland and uninteresting by all accounts.  I was hoping to perhaps meet and talk with climbers looking to summit but I think we'll be too late in the year for that.  October and early Nov would have provided that opportunity.

The journey to base camp however looks superb.  Lots of monasteries and little villages to visit and stay at.  I'm looking forward to somewhat of a spiritualistic escape.   For those that don't like flying and have a spare minute or so check out the approach to Lukla airport.  
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Local pride compels me to mention that there's also an important historical Dundee-elephant connection: http://www.andydrummond.net/elephantina.html

Turning up at Greenwich common on marathon day and waving everyone off seems like a great idea to me.
  • Options
    DavidHaydon83DavidHaydon83 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
  • Options

3 weeks walking in the Himalayas.  Really looking forward to it and getting away from London for a while.  
    Certain similarities though between London and the top of Everest recently. However as you won't be going up Everest I'm sure you'll have an absolutely brilliant time. Enjoy (imagine how fast you'll be able to go when you come back too!).

See the source image

• Options
    Queuing to get up to the summit?  Absolute madness.   Everest itself isn't that dangerous.  We've made it dangerous ourselves.

The majority of people in that left picture will be holding onto only one rope as well.  Crazy.
  • Options
    Look after that niggle, DT. There's invariably some background noise going on for most of us, much of the time, but clearly it's set off an alarm with you that there's a bit more to this one. The easier week sounds like a sensible start, fingers crossed for you.

Nice report and racing, David - even if it wasn't quite what you were after. Sounds like you dug out a decent effort to raise it again even when the going got tough, which will stand you in good stead further down the line. You have sounded pretty jaded over the last few weeks, so maybe a mileage reduction and mostly easy running for a week or two might freshen you up, and allow some gains to feed in. How does your time yesterday compare to your current PB? My stalking skills have failed me this time! Everest sounds good BTW. 

Hard lines, McF. Think it's a reasonable point from Muddy on your recent racing. Can work well while you're riding the crest of a wave, but it's a fine line and can tip you over. Looks like you've not got much on now for a few weeks though, so hopefully you can freshen up and come back stronger.

Muddy - Mixture of amusement, bemusement and a rolling of the eyes from Mrs Bob. Her best friend from childhood to this day is a gay man so no issue for either of us from that point of view, but did give the lads I was out with a good laugh. Think Mrs BBB was more bothered about me waking up her and mini-BBB coming in at stupid o'clock than anything else!

Decent mileage, Kevin - hope the tempo went well. Always the toughest sessions for me, particularly mentally, so the plethora of summer time events are a boon as that makes it so much easier and more enjoyable to hit a pace broadly within the 'tempo' range, rather than grinding them out solo.

• Options
    Morning all. 

Bob - No official 10k race time to speak of but I recently took part in the Milton Keynes marathon relay and clocked 39mins for 6.12mi.  This had 235ft of elevation, not much I know but the race on Sunday had 35ft.  

My enthusiasm is still there.  I just had two weeks where I had a lot on regarding family commitments and so I wasn't able to put as much into training in the lead up to the 10k - my own fault.  I find getting out for a run whilst on holiday really hard and it's something I'm trying to improve on.

I'll get some easy miles in today.  I'm hoping for some rain!
  • Options
    TTT updated for 

Muddy stunning 21 second 10k PB which may or may not have improved his WAVA but not uploaded to his Pof10 stats yet.

BBB returns to the TTT and gets a 10 sec 5 mile PB although I have some bad news as the reported 30:57 is officially a 31:00. His return also shuffles round some silver cells although Tommy keeps his 5 mile silver cell by one second thanks to Bob's official time being 3 seconds slower.

DH gets a 10k time and leapfrogs Pete.

• Options
    Barefoot Running Man Visit

Lit recommended this because her partner had been to a full day session with this man but he wasn't running any courses this year so I booked in a 2 hour slot just for me which he thought would be enough.

Lit suggested that he may be a bit eccentric and my instructions were just that he was across the road from the railway station so I headed to Kirby in Furness railway station looking out for an eccentric man across the road from the railway station. Actually that's not true I fully expected to meet him in his running studio but when I got there the only thing across the road from the railway station was a closed café/tearoom. I'd planned to get changed in the train toilets but the station didn't have any so I drove up the road and changed in my car behind a hedge and then drove back - still no sign of anyone and I was beginning to wonder what to do when a man appeared outside the café.

He was dressed in jogging pants, a T shirt, hoody and nothing on his feet which I noticed were pretty muddy. He unlocked the café which turned out to be the place he used for his training sessions - he just tells his wife to close the café.

He's pretty passionate about bare foot running and has lived bare foot for the last 40 years including weddings, funerals, cinema visits etc etc - in fact he told me a story about when he met a journalist after doing an 80 mile run barefoot and the journalist was more interested in him being barefoot in normal life situations.

Anyway he knew his stuff about feet and legs and how they interact and went through some theory, showed me some exercises and drills in the café and then we went outside onto the estuary to do some outside stuff. This involved going out of the café, crossing the road, onto the train platform, over the bridge, across a little bit of gravel before we reached the sanctuary of the grass, sand, mud and sheep shit. We were both barefoot at this stage so he marched on ahead whilst I struggled to keep up - ooch, ouch, ooch, ouch, hobbling along behind him.

Then we did a few drills and he took a video of me running and we headed back to the café where he asked me to video him showing me all the drills he had shown me before we went out - at this point I noticed he had a great gobbet of sheep shit on the side of his foot but he didn't seem bothered and I'm sure the café customers in the morning wouldn't mind either. :-:smiley: 

As a summary it felt like he was a little rushed trying to cram in a day's knowledge and practice into 2 hours but I've got some stuff to work on. Unfortunately he deleted all the video stuff by mistake so he created another one for me and sent it but obviously me running isn't on it which is a shame. 
  • Options
    As a general update things have been a bit shit since my barefoot running experience. I went running the next day but after 2 miles had to stop and walk back - the good news it was tight calves not a sore foot so just need to keep taking it slowly.

For @Alehouse the consultant he recommended was good and ultimately diagnosed probably sinus tarsi syndrome, gave me a steroid injection which he said might not work and also recommended the 360 degree  diagnosis thing at Manchester Institute of Health & Performance that led to most of the recommendations that at least have me running again - even if it's not the amount I truly would like. So thanks again!

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Sounds like quite an experience Skinny.  Do you think it will be useful?  Shame about the video, but I guess you could get someone to do it now and maybe again after a few weeks of trying the drills and see if it makes a difference?  Hope the calves ease.

Muddy, blimey!  You pulled that one out of the bag!  Sounds like one of those magic days when everything comes together, but you've definitely done the work so a well deserved result.

DT, hope things calm down with that niggle - might be worth further investigation if an easier week doesn't help much.

David, that sounds awesome!  Bit of altitude training? Well done on the attitude and execution of your 10K, even if not the result you were after.  Life commitments do make a difference to how you race, I think we sometimes forget that.

McF, take it easy...  I'm going to hazard a guess that you might feel a little as I do, that coming back after a lull is frustrating, and you expect to be able to do as much as you could before the break - and it isn't exactly true. Speaking for myself, I need to leave the ego at home a bit more and actually run easy runs easily, not at the pace I think should feel easy...

I have nothing to offer to the elephant conversation.

I am also feeling a bit like something isn't quite right at the moment - I'm not sure if it's the above-mentioned lack of realistic expectations about what I can and can't do, lingering marathon fatigue, life in general or something actually wrong.  Did think about going to the doctors to get checked out, but I'm going to sound a bit of an idiot going in to complain that I'm tired when I've been running about 50 miles a week, trying to work and haven't had a full night's sleep in 20 months.  Running is basically annoying at the moment, I can't handle backing off mentally, but physically it's feeling a bit much, and I'm not really improving. Yes, I can see what I'm doing wrong... :neutral: #threadtherapy