Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

What a charming turn of conversation just as I'm eating my lunch...

Ended up being a fantastic run this morning...10k with strides...nothing fell off...

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

YM - I haven't had anything fall off but recently I've been in danger of hitting resonant frequency

• Options

Other sports - none

Rest - if you include having a beer - plenty

Speedwork - 2 to 3 times a week

technique - none

core strength - none

nutrition and hydration - see Rest

Along with the rainforest of training programmes at my fingertips - I am now eagerley searching and printing off guides to technique, core strength and cross training.

I just do not know where to turn!!!!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

* Miss-Jean-Brodie -voice* James B, do try to do as I say,   not as I do...  image

• Options
    Posted something about cleaners and status symbols but it didn't register.

That was a 13 miles of the camel trail and a pasty ago mind.

other sports - swimming probably. Rest day 1 Mondays.

Off to India again on Tuesday - two weeks this time so treadmills ahoy image will give dv's workout a spin
  • Options
    Welcome back se btw.

Email off
  • Options

I know for a fact that this is the energy drink that DV uses

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

*Waiting for a photo of Lois, the thread Kenyan-baby..*

Non-running day, at funeral of Auntie ATM. Not sad..she was 97 and fighting –fit for 96+ years...but sad for Dad ATM who lost his last surviving sibling.

On the plus side...Last week is, sometimes, a bit of a mystery to Dad but 50/60/70 years ago is perfectly clear. So, suddenly, all the nephews/nieces...now in their 60/70s..are transformed into long-dead brothers and sisters. And I am, sometimes, his most-beloved sister..that he can chat to about, err, his daughters.. image My Dad's family all look alike; cloning has nothing on us. Anyway, loads of relatives in regulation black...none of your modern ‘casual’ wear..big choir etc. It’s a great pity Aunty wasn’t there to enjoy it all.

• Options
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

It'll be interesting to get some views on the following subjects..:

• doing other sports, apart from running.  

I have started to swim (once or twice a week). Last time I had a hamstring problem, my physio said it would be good for me and I think she is right. I am not young anymore so I need to other things (I also have a bike but I haven't had time yet to use it properly).

rest..  how much do you really get?   I think a lot of people over-train and don't allow enough recovery time. 

As much as possible I try to listen to my body. If I have a hard session but my legs are not ready for it, I will do a recovery run instead. I am 46 and I can't do hard sessions back to back anymore.

• speed work..  this can be a great way to get faster overall

Once or twice a week. If I have a race on Sunday, I tend to have only one speed work session in the following week.

• technique..  when was the last time you considered your running technique?

I did consider barefoot running but I wasn't convinced of the benefits. I think that if you have been running for few years, it is quite hard to change your running style. I don't think it is something you can do in a few months. You cannot just give it a try. You have to commit to it.

• core strength...  this goes with technique...   do you bother with core strength exercises..?

I should do more core strength exercises. I find it difficult to find the time.

• nutrition and hydration...   how do you fuel your running..   before, during and after..?   Its worth experimenting and seeing what works and what doesn't.  Listen to what other people do and give it a try if you think it might work for you. 

When I am not training for a marathon, I don't worry too much about nutrition and hydration. I really think about those things in the last 2 months of my marathon training.

• Options

i'm signed in for the Great North run 2013 (again!) - who else is doing it?

• Options

ATM - I hope I get to 96 and am still fighting fit. Hope your dad's okay.

Jimbob - is the members entry open now? Haven't had an email. Same thing happened to me last year and I had to chase them up. Grrrrrr

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

ATM - and to your lovely Niece image

• Options
    Weedy, got my email about an hour ago. Paid up and I'm in. I reckon give them a chase and check your spam/junk email in case it made it in there
  • Options

Thanks Jimbob. I switched my account from work email to home email last year and it didn't get sent to either. Looks like the same thing's happened again. I'll give it a couple of days in case they send the emails in batches, then chase them up

If and when I get sorted, I'll enter.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

ATM - That should have said HUGS to you and your lovely Niece image

(note to self - don't use anything that can be thought of as html)

• Options
    Weedy, might be worth making sure your online account is working properly (for viewing times at previous GNRs etc)

https://www.greatrun.org/users/Default.aspx
  • Options

ATM - Hugs.

Here goes, I think this is going to shock me -

Other Sports - cycling occassionally, ellipitcal(sp) trainer?? lots of brisk walking with the dog

Rest - come on, I sleep 4 hours per day!! I never have a completely activity free day but nowadays I only run every other day......Hoping that'll change again very soon??

Speedwork - I do intervals occassionally........must be more consistent......

Technique-image just getting one foot in front of the other is not enough?

Core - Every other day a multitude of core exercises including some with a fitness ball.image

Nutrition and Hydration - mmmmmmmmmm I am trying to rectify this........I now eat more than once per day......but must stop drinking so much coffee. Trying to get in the habit of eating before running but we will see how it goesimage

• Options

I've been working on technique since returning from injury... trying to keep a high cadence, landing below CoG etc. So far it's going quite well image

ATM
    image Thoughts are with your family.

TD's energy drink of choice:

http://www.drinkstuff.com/productimg/40511_large.jpg

• Options
    I spoke to French chap a couple of years ago who runs Paris every year and said something to me along the lines of don't eat before a race. Trying to remember the conversation but it was along the lines of its harder to run when the body is trying to digest. Maybe it was more about running on an empty stomach, as it can take up to 4 hours to break down the food in the stomach. So the body s working harder when you are running and the stomach is still doing its thing. That means that my porridge thing 2-3 hours before a race is wrong? Or maybe some food gets broken down quicker like mushy fibre type food. I'm not very scientific - TD?
  • Options
    Evening all - just catching up. Jimbob - I always eat porridge 2-3 hours before a long race and it works just fine for me. No way I could run a marathon on an empty stomach. I guess just experiment before your long runs and see what works for you.

ATM - sounds like a good send-off. Hope you had a chance to see the relatives you wanted to, and avoid the ones you didn't.

TE - with you on the 'always on' thing. I'm off on holiday next week and I'm going to try very hard to switch off the phone and ignore the emails. I'll make an exception for the kindle, but even then I'll try and avoid the newspaper subscription.
  • Options
    RR I'm just putting it out there. I would never do that , I'm porridge all the way but was interested if there was any truth to it
  • Options

Jimbob - When I click on my entries, it comes up saying I'm not entered for any, then there's a panel on the right of events available to enter. GNR's not on there, just Winter, Birmingham, Manchester and South.

I've double checked membership and it definitely covers me for next year.

• Options

ATM - Sorry to hear of your loss.

Jimbob - I think the phrase around here is 'getting porridged up'.

I must admit what I eat pre-long run never seems to make the slightest bit of difference to me. I've ran on porridge, cereal, toast, bananas and recently peanut butter and jam sarnies. Not an issue with any of them. The one thing I need to avoid is eggs as I had a couple of uncomfortable runs after eating those. I need two hours after eating before running.

I like porridge, but I did go off it for a bit after running my first marathon as mentally I had tied in with doing 20 mile training runs!

• Options
    Porridge with blueberries is a good alternative to porridge wiv nana if the nana say no no
  • Options
    Weedy. Seems like u will need the email with the link. At least u know ur login/password works as u need that as well as the link. I'd do as u say, give it a few more days and chase 'em for it.
  • Options
    I quite like porridge with sultanas. It isn't too heavy and I can normally start my long run within an hour (but I would eat 2 or 3 hours before a race).
  • Options
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    RR I'm just putting it out there. I would never do that , I'm porridge all the way but was interested if there was any truth to it

Different foods release their energy at different rates Mr.Jimbobbedy. But yes, it's kind of common sense that you don't want heavy guts as you start a race. Being kinda thick, I did exactly that in my last mara in berlin. Woefully undertrained, I tried to compensate for my lack of stamina by eating too much. Felt like I was going to hurl fo rthe first 18K or so. The remaining 3K I ran in the race (plus the 7K to get back to the end) were much more enjoyable. 2nd DNF this year.

Engineer - love having you back. I can feel a graph coming on image

ATM - sad day. I took a call an hour ago. Dad's cancer is back. Maybe I can buy him a wig for Christmas?

• Options

TD - Really sorry to hear about your dad.

• Options
    I remember doing a race after a full English breakfast and that wasn't nice (the race). We stayed in a B&B and the race wasn't before 1pm. I thought I would be safe with a full English breakfast (plus it was on offer!) but it was "sitting" on my stomach during the race. Not exactly a pleasant experience
  • Options

Anybody got a theory on rice crispbread?? I ate them before the last two miserable attempts...........maybe they are to blame?!?! And coffee, for me, is a definate no no before any run!!

TD - Sorry to hear that.