Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Good point, Dannirr.If you can manage to stay long enough to pay the family some attention after the race, then that would work..Before,I'm not sure anyone's much company for non-runners * although fellow-runners will find your various obsessions perfectly normal and, indeed, fascinating.. *. And Sunday night in the pub might not suit everyone.. image

• Options

oh crikey! just been watching (sorry re-phrase that to salivating) the Great British bake off and the presenter tony just made his signature beef Wellington. Puff Pastry, prime fillet of beef and pate. I just want to eat that so bad it's killing meimage

• Options

p.s dragged the wife n kids to Reading for the half last year - last time i do that. Certainly wont be taking them to Paris or Berlin while i'm doing a marathon there. maybe when they're older or visit those places on a family break/holiday

• Options

My lot are coming with me to Paris...but my lot are very unusual in that they are extremely indulgent of my nonsense...indeed Mr Maj seemed to enjoy Corcorans almost as much as I did this year...could be something to do with Radar Sal sitting on his knee for quite some time....

We're looking into driving this year, free Eurotunnel with Tesco vouchers image...once I realised its only 50 miles further to Paris than it is to Glasgow, which we drive regularly, it put a totally different slant on it....£400 for fuel, tolls, tunnel, 6 days parking in Paris plus an overnight hotel either in Folkestone or Arras because I'm being a diva about a long drive before I race.  Thats for 3 of us.  Cheaper than train or flying....

• Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

Anyone have any idea why a Garmin 910 and a 210 would show a 0.4 mile difference over an 18 mile route - run together?   We always have a difference in these 2 Garmins incidently.

Dannirr - have the same issue with other running friends. Arm swing variation could be a factor, the effect of SmartRecording (data sampling differences), side of the bends you are running etc. To get the most accurate recording, switch to every second recording. If you both experienced satellite drop-out, your footpod will give a more accurate result. The GPS error correction works point to point.

TheEngineer wrote (see)
    DV if you're just after bored housewives I'm sure there's a website for that... image

TheEngineer - image - yes, Iain wasn't the only one laughing his head off at that. Knowing the kind of guy DV is though, his whole background and professionalism, I suspect... you are bang on the money image

Emmy_H wrote (see)
    Holey- P&D is a type of training. I can't spell the p name but its Pfizer and Douglas or something similar to that. It's normally for those that do high mileage and great times.

Iain - you've got little blue pills from Pfizer on the brain fella'. There's no room for being droopy with Pfitzinger & Davis though. They'll get you standing tall in no time at all. Those training plans really help to keep pushing on until the final mile, ensuring you have a happy ending...

/members/images/345267/gallery/Berlin_Marathon_2011_Official_pic3s.jpg

Knee is hurting but am determined to present an actual problem to the surgeon tmrw morning, so will hopefully get out in the rain for a run this afternoon. image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Good luck with the Doc', tomorrow, TD.

It's not one o'oclock , yet,and I swear it's getting dark...On the plus side, I've bought a head torch and am quite looking forward to having a go..

• Options
    Good luck tomorrow TD.

Holeymoley I love the name, it's been making me smile every time I've read it.

DV I think your idea is great. If you have the time to devote to it long term and you think you'll find it fun and rewarding then I think it would be a brilliant way to help others. I know jogscotland run a lot of similar groups up here and it sounds like a similar set up. I find the idea of joining a running club intimidating even now so for a complete beginner it must be a complete no no.

I'm sitting on my bum waiting for motivation to strike. I can't see it happening any time soon. I don't know why but I think I've lost my running mojo. If anyone sees it can they send it my way please, I miss it. Meantime I'm going to watch tv and try to figure out what it is I managed to do to my elbow when I fell skiing yesterday.
  • Options
    Skiing yesterday? Where's the snow? I'm on my way.
  • Options

HS - You can borrow my mojo if you want. It currently serves no purpose other than to annoy me about not being able to do anything but catch up on the zombie apocalypse.

Simon - Snowzone I'd guess, or one of the dry slopes. I tried snowboarding once, by the end of it my buttocks felt like a crash test dummies head!

• Options
    Swaps Eggy, mine is in sloth mode so would serve you well on the injury bench.

Simon was at xscape. It gets a bit tedious after a while but is great fun for an hour or two. Especially if there are jumps made up. I'm not so hot on a board but seem to lack fear when two skis are attached. Speeeeed!
  • Options
    HS - Ah. Must give it a go sometime. No sign of the real stuff on the Cairngorms yet.

Eggy - patience laddie. You'll back out running in no time.
  • Options

Simon - Patience isn't a strong point. Sadly eating mountains of crap while board seems to be a gold medal Olympic event for me. image

• Options
    Introducing my 3 year old to Floyd Wish u were here blasted on the crystal clear hi fi. She seems to like it.
  • Options
    TD - thanks as always. MyAsics plan starts Tuesday so onwards and upwards. Working my way through P+D too. They're going to take me to Berlin and sub-4 I hope! Apologies for moping.

Good running, all.
  • Options
    I'm bouncing with motivation at the mo because I've only just signed up, and I'm feeling defiant (not enough money or time to do it, really, especially because my finger just slipped on the buy button on a 610 garmin on amazon!) so you're welcome to have some of my mojo, but I will need it back in a few weeks when the novelty wears off....

A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

I'm following a training plan that's four times a week, one interval, one tempo (or faster), one steady and one increasingly long. Can i replace the steady run with a treadmill session?

Also, it is a sixteen week plan and we have twenty weeks. One friend said I should repeat some of the earlier weeks to give myself a better base. I think perhaps I should put some weeks in the bank incase of injury / illness, and if I don't need them, add a few extra long run weeks in before my taper. She says that'll increase my risk of injury and prove too tiring. Who's right or is there an alternative?

Thank you!
  • Options
    And thanks helterskelter, glad to make you smile!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

60:10 at the Brampton to Carlisle 10 miler today. It's a good time but heart broken to miss the hour image

Take care TD, and love that photo.

• Options
    TD - forgot to say: good luck tomorrow and great photo.

OO - what a time, fantastic running.
  • Options

OO - That's still an amazing time you did. Maybe next time you'll grab that sub hour time.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

It's a fantasticc time , OO!  *Some of us can just about do that on our bikes * Well done. 'Defifnitely worth celebrating. Next race, mayve you can address wind-resistance...Shave yer legs and cover yourself in baby-oil.

That sounds a bit weird, actually...Where IS DLR?

• Options
    OO: congratulations anyway. Any chance the chip will get you the 10 secs?

TD: not sure I agree with the approach but best of luck, I really hope they give you good news

I bought a great running cap from Decathlon yesterday: it has 4 LEDs in the peak to both light the way and be seen by cars. I'll see if I can find a link.
  • Options
    This one: http://www.kalenji-running.com/en-GB/lamp-cap-8200563

In fact their whole "running at night" section was quite good. I spent a lot more than intended
  • Options
    Great running OO
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes sounds like one of your fantasies ATM image. There was a v35 lady ahead of me today- a Scott in fact from Dumfreis running club, well under the hour.  

no chips today, just good old fashioned numbers.

• Options
    Well done OO. I dream of getting close to 70 minutes, never mind 60!

But I ain't shaving my legs. However, I'm not ruling out the baby oil.
  • Options

And that time would have placed you 2nd in the Glen Moray 10 Mile last week, and a nice bottle of single malt!

• Options

This is one I have - just clips onto the visor of any cap:

http://www.amazon.com/MasterVision-1001-LED-Cap-Light/dp/B001BDK4X8

• Options
    OO imagine flipping that time into a sub80 min half. Awesome running!
  • Options

OO, I can't even dream of times like that ... well done!

Just won my first ever race prize (see below), Best Dressed Lassie in the Paris Kilt Run.  Although I could also have won Oldest Participant and Only Scottish Participant.  Came 8th overall I think and 2nd female out of about 50 runners, but I cheated:  you were supposed to drink a pint in each of the 4 pubs en route and I said I'm doing the running but not the drinking ...

Best bit was some random pedestrian shouting 'Och aye the noo' .... I retored with Up Yer Kilt image

Lead runners were fast so it was a right good training session for me.

http:// http://www.baronbob.com/images/products/secondary/beerglasses-1.jpg

• Options

*retorted