Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Okay, I'm back in the country for more than 12 hrs and have caught up on all the goings on - fashion, binary, graphs, movies and newbies...oh yeah and as alsways some great running advice.image  Will fill you in on my action packed week in Lanzarote (would thoroughly recommend it for mental fitness holidays!), once I've caught up on my sleep from Rome (GOOOOO THE ALLL BLACKS!).  Now back to this thing called work...oh and training hmmm...

Welcome to the newbies!  Keep in mind you all came out of the lurking depths willingly when it gets a little strange on hereimage

• Options
    OO, another very close shave on that magic 10miles in an hour time. What a year of form you've had! I ran about half a km further than that today but it took me 1h13. 2 runs in a week. Fancy me. A couple more years like this and I could qualify to have DV coach me. If I wear a nice wig and shave my legs, I could get something extra into the bargain.
  • Options

I'm following My asics 4 runs weekly plan this time and I notice they've a max length LSR of 20 miles... I may extend a few of the LSRs... 504 miles (hopefully) 'til Paris. We'll have to see how the PF goes...

Weedy - you must really like wine gums!

Made a pleasing discovery that local sainsbury carries SiS gels, bars etc - in the pharmacy section! So, I don't have to get a weekday/weekend off to get my gels from Up and Running pre-race (still haven't mastered that ordering off t'internet thing...)

Life is good indeed.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Don't worry Tricky I'm built for speed and you for distance- I'll never get close to your marathon time, but if you stay fit long enough you certainly can. When you think how few years you've been running it's amazing what you've achieved. 

I was at the supermarket today and also started my collection of Xmas sweets (none of which will last until Xmas). There were boxes of chococates, tins, slabs and various multi packs. Half my shopping bill must have beem on sweets. image    

• Options
    I love lanzarote RS and have been thinking of treating myself to a surf holiday. La Santa looks a bit too pricey for my piggy bank but I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.
  • Options
    Iain - my local Tesco have them too. I only discovered this last week. And they are cheaper than Run4It in Aberdeen....

Welcome back RS.
  • Options
    I don't like runs over 3 hrs on my own so I think I'll be signing up for the bramley 20 miler (did that one pre London in 2002, and preferred it to London too!) on 17 Feb and poss the Worthing 20 in March too.

I'm stupidly over excited about this....!

I've written a plan for my first week, and my ex is babysitting on Sat so I can do my first "long" run on my old stomping ground, mostly off road (I moved about a year ago and haven't replaced the running routes....I now live in a very small town so it's road or field, and in this weather most of the fields are flooded).

And I've decided on a new eating strategy. I'm tired of trying to lose weight, so my new mantras are: drink more water, eat less crap, run.

Off early to bed, night and thanks for your support image
  • Options
    DV - its Easter hols so kids will want to come, and part of me would love them to be there, but part of me loves the idea of a solo adventure. I'll wait and see what prices the Eurostar have when the tickets are released and let that be my guide.
  • Options

image  OO I don't feel so bad now.  In the last week I've eaten the Christmas biscuits and a box of Christmas chocolates.

• Options

As to why I started running...

When I was at school I was a decent sprinter - good enough for county trials - but didn't have the nouse to do anything other than sprint.  Even 400m was just an all out sprint then try and hold on.  800m or above were just a mystery to me so I just believed I couldn't run distances.

Roll forward to 2006 and I'd lost best part of 3st and wanted a new challenge.  Running seemed to fit the bill as it represented something I'd thought I couldn't do.  It seemed to go ok and a few weeks after starting I entered a 10k only to find it was actually 10 miles.  I finished the last open age male runner but was still really pleased with myself that I could 'do' running.

Since then I've become a little wiser and a little brisker but I still back myself everytime when it comes to the sprint finish.  I think that's where any talent lies, but I've worked out how to do a reasonable job of the distance bit that precedes it first!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Running...errr..Perimenopausal, I lost a lot of weight around 47 and a friend suggested running as a way to conserve bone density (? I think the jury's out on that one..) I thought she must be insane! Then I saw a 6k race, in Paris...'Friend told me that , if I did what she advised, it would be 6 weeks of Hell and after another 6 weeks I'd love it. I entered La Parisienne and bought my first pair of trainers. The Hellish 6 weeks were followed by many more. 3 months to a 5 k ( Glasgow Green )...where I thought I'd die at kilometre 2...but finishing that was such a thrill.And I got to Paris, month 7. It wasn't really about the running.10 years on, it's kind of mad fun.

And you get to meet such interesting people.....image

* Consults dictionary. Is that the right word, now...*

• Options

ATM - I think the jury's in on exercise, not necessarily exercise as stressful as marathon running! Exercise/running's always good thing re: bones and avoidance of osteoporosis, weight management, blood pressure control, psychological well-being - I can't quote you the all-encompassing journal article but my patients (I suspect) are sick of hearing me preach the above...

• Options

I started running because I was broke and couldn't justify the expense of the gym any more, but didn't want to lose my hard earned (and at the time, decent) fitness.  Also, my lovely sister in law George is a runner and she inspired me.  I started with C25K and the rest is (slowly) history...

Lots of mistakes along the way but 2 years on I still love it.  One day I might even be good at it, but if I'm not it doesn't matter, it's one of the greatest joys in my life.

Holeymoley - welcome....and my 12 year old will be in Paris, along with my entourage....if you need childcare during the race then your child(ren) are welcome to join mine with my husband/aunty/uncle/brother/sis in law/stragglers and hangers on....

• Options

Iain - Does the journal cover the side affects? Taper madness, fetish wear shopping, lion attacks, porridge overdose, having 'I beat you' shouted at you in pubs, bizzare condiment usage with mac'n'cheese, knitting patterns and spreadsheetitus.

• Options
  • Options

DV: not sure why I started running again. I did many years ago, but not anything longer than the occasional 10k. When I did restart a few years ago, I was sidelined by injuries all the time - primarily ITB. But I wanted to run. My eldest son is an excellent marathoner (age 17 debut marathon 3.02. Now 20 yr old) and I wanted to understand why he ran so much - 70-100 mile weeks. So I read "Born to Run" thinking that would explain it. Of course it did not (I had no idea what the book was about when I bought it) - but it introduced me to minamilism - and I gave it a try. I was running 3-5 miles at a time, when I made the mistake of voicing aloud "I think I'll run a marathon". Once out, it's out (I made the same mistake about learning to ride a unicycle). And like many, I thought one would be enough. It wasn't.

RR: I don't know if men run for weight control. I don't, as I think diet controls weight, excercise controls overall health. I changed my diet to lose weight. I run because it's fun and it keeps me healthier (I think)

Here I am before:

/members/images/698298/Gallery/photo_2-29.JPG

and here I (and family) am now - and feel a million times better. About 10 years and 100 pounds between pictures

/members/images/698298/Gallery/photo_1-29.JPG

• Options
    Started running as a rugby substitute and to keep me out of trouble when working away from home.

Definitely not for weight control but it is a nice side effect.
  • Options

Holeymoley - My kidz will be in Paris too, 13yr adn 10 yr old girls. As for treadmill running, last winter I had to do lots for basically the same reason as you and the horrendous weather we had. Not to be recommended for 75% of a training programme but one run a week will be fine( think I am going to be doing the same on a Saturday.)

I have been running now for 2 and a half years. My reason, I was 6.5 stone and being threatened with tube feeding as I could hardly walk, sitting was painful, lying in bed soooo sore......One night I announced to everyone that I was going to run a marathon, needless to say this was met with shocked face and ones that said yeah right........and so the journey began.........now 4 years on I have ran 3!!! But now need to lose 1-1.5 stones!!!image (I am now cryingimage)

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great stories Kaz and Dannir- weight lose must be a common reason to strart running. I started running at school to avoid having to play cricket- never been much good at team games.

• Options

Good morning...   so much going on... will just pick up on a few things...

Kaz..  you weighed 6.5st..?   Gosh..  what a recovery though...  good for you..  and now, the next chapter in your story is about to start..  image

Dan..  that photo looks like a different person!  Quite the transformation..

RS..  I'm looking forward to your stories from the travelling..

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    OK... I'm just catching up now image
    holeymoley wrote (see)
    A couple of questions, if you don't mind. 

I'm following a training plan that's four times a week, one interval, one tempo (or faster), one steady and one increasingly long. Can i replace the steady run with a treadmill session?

Also, it is a sixteen week plan and we have twenty weeks. One friend said I should repeat some of the earlier weeks to give myself a better base. I think perhaps I should put some weeks in the bank incase of injury / illness, and if I don't need them, add a few extra long run weeks in before my taper. She says that'll increase my risk of injury and prove too tiring. Who's right or is there an alternative?

Thank you!

I agree with Weedy and DLR. I avoid the treadmill if I can. The only workout i'll actually do on it is intervals to be able to go at a measured speed. I read somewhere that "your race will not be on a treadmill, so why train on one?"... and its' stuck

I'd also use the additional 4 weeks for base and a "save" week in case you get ill/injured - you have a week in the bank.

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    Emmy_H wrote (see)
    Holey- P&D is a type of training. I can't spell the p name but its Pfizer and Douglas or something similar to that. It's normally for those that do high mileage and great times.

Iain - you've got little blue pills from Pfizer on the brain fella'. There's no room for being droopy with Pfitzinger & Davis though. They'll get you standing tall in no time at all. Those training plans really help to keep pushing on until the final mile, ensuring you have a happy ending...

/members/images/345267/gallery/Berlin_Marathon_2011_Official_pic3s.jpg

Knee is hurting but am determined to present an actual problem to the surgeon tmrw morning, so will hopefully get out in the rain for a run this afternoon. image

Thanks Tricky! I knew it was something like that! Good luck at the doctors surgery.

TartanPimpernel wrote (see)

OO, I can't even dream of times like that ... well done!

Just won my first ever race prize (see below), Best Dressed Lassie in the Paris Kilt Run.  Although I could also have won Oldest Participant and Only Scottish Participant.  Came 8th overall I think and 2nd female out of about 50 runners, but I cheated:  you were supposed to drink a pint in each of the 4 pubs en route and I said I'm doing the running but not the drinking ...

Best bit was some random pedestrian shouting 'Och aye the noo' .... I retored with Up Yer Kilt image

Lead runners were fast so it was a right good training session for me.

• Options
    Good luck with the doc today TD - I hope you get the answers you want.

I started running for a combination of reasons that all kind of gelled together. I had been quite fit at school and university (Munro-bagging hill walker) but that had all kind of ebbed away after I started work. Also I had seen some photographs of myself in which my knees were a lot porkier than I would have liked. I had a week off to use up some holidays, and had read an article in 'Zest' magazine about run/walk strategies. So I set off round the local park, and managed to get all the way round walking 20 steps and running 20. Gradually increased the running, entered a 5k, never looked back really. That was about 12 years ago. But I'd say I've only been doing what I'd call 'serious' training for about the last 3 years or so.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Oh Bugger.... they've cut my bit short... image

Well... it was:

TP - well done on the race! 

i've had a mixed weekend. Great runs but came down with a sickness bug and feel absolutely shocking. I had to stop on the motorway to empty my stomach along the hard shoulder and fell asleep last night. Breakfast this morning is currently trying to work out if it wants to stay in my stomach.

• Options

Emmy poor you - theres an awful lot of it about at the moment.  Stay at home, rest and take as much water as you can handle.

TD - fingers crossed that today youll find out whats going on...

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I had a lovely run yesterday - great weather for running, bit of a chill but nice winter sun.

On the down side, I wore running tights and forgot to apply some anti chafe on the undercarriage - ouch

• Options

Here we go then - 18 weeks of training officially kicks off today...image

• Options

Emmy - Sounds bad, take car of yourself.

As to why I started running. Two reasons. One was the I was to complete a marathon moment of madness that entered my head. I've no ideas why that popped in my head, as I was always awful at running. Slowest kid in the class at school. I was the lanky skinny kid that couldn't run a lap of the school football pitch. Due to that I pretty much avoided any running related stuff once I left school.

Second reason was to spend more time with my ex. She'd taken up running and I thought it was something we could do together. She dumped my arse not long after, so what seemed the more sensible part of me starting was actually not figuring out you're about to get dumped.

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Here we go then - 18 weeks of training officially kicks off today...image

What? Please tell me your 18 weeks is different than mine as I have the 9th December down as when I should be starting training!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

yer_maj,Eggy, my 18 starts on 3 December... Anyone better at arithmetic around.....counting backwards and all that..?

• Options

Eggy - I have built in 2 extra weeks!  I'm going skiing for a week in February and there's an extra week this year for illness/life/CBA.  I got caught out by the norovirus last year, would rather that didn't happen again.  Actually, I'd like to not have the norovirus again, ever....