Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

That is so fab.... Well done, cutty sark! image  Where is the photo?

• Options

Good girl Tartan - a worthy prize indeed image  I am afraid I would have been more likely to have wheeled out "Get tae fuck" but youre clearly more of a laydee than me...

Hmmm my glass of water over the desk incident on friday appears to have damaged one key on the keyboard - the apostrophe.  This isnt going to be annoying at all, is it?

OO - Thats one hell of a run...can understand the feeling about the :10 but Im still mightily impressed.

todays cross training was a lot of gardening, plus core strengthening.  My core aint what is used to be, let me tell you...image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

And in other News. ....Use the following words in a sentence...

Finn, 52 miles, won.

• Options
  • Options
    Nice one TP, you've done us proud.
  • Options

You guys are so funny  image   I will continue to think about my obviously quite pathetic attempt to seduce the bored housewives of the south.....image

Awesome day today....  out early for a morning run with the dog and then most of the day out on the trails for a decent run, which was joined by the family on their bikes for some speedwork in the guise of 'chase me daddy...'   brilliant fun, and the conditions were perfect...

/members/images/98627/Gallery/IMG_1587.JPG

OO..  that is an excellent time..  well..

Jimbob...   you are continuing to progress well...   sub-4 is yours for the taking, just don't push too hard and end up on the injury bench...

Talking of which....

TD...  fingers crossed for tomorrow matey...  hope it can be sorted permanently..

tartan..  a podium finish.  You star!

Dannirr...   that stubbed toe looked like an 'ouch' moment...   I guess those vibrams are in the bin now..?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Agreed. She's thawing out...It's cold in Hibernia. * I'm hoping all this good running rubs off on the rest of us. *

• Options

I think I will have to stop going to work to keep up with you lot!

OO - Cracking timeimage

Tartan - awesome........like your ladiness to, I went to the same language school as yer_maj!!!image

Finn holy...........

Holeymoley - Welcome!

I've had a severly difficult day. I can hardly sit down let alone run my behind and upper legs are soooooooo sore..image I didn't overdo the strengh training yesterday so it must of been all the ladders that I went up and down yesterday at my second job............I look like a very old lady........

• Options
    Nice running oo very nice image I know how it feels to miss out on a 'nice' number by seconds so feel your pain but still 60 mins is not to be sniffed at!

Family stray will be travelling en masse to Paris and driving as flights for 2+3 costs too much. They are a well drilled support crew these days

Races for me are

Chevin dash - Boxing Day

Liversedge half - 10 feb

Haweswater half - 3 march

Paris - 7 April

And lots of parkruns

57km for me this week all on treadies so pleased with that. Still a long way off pb form but mind is very focusedimage
  • Options

Well done TP, OO.

SR - Races added. Any more for any more?

Holey Moley - In answer to your earlier questions. My answer, and there'll be 50 different answers, is that you can replace the steady run with a treadmill session...but it's not like for like. Ten miles on a treadmill isn't the same as ten miles outdoors. I avoid treadmills where possible as I detest the monotony of them, so I don't know much more than that, but someone here will have a much better idea of what the differences are.

Regarding your other question, I'd say if you have a spare four weeks, it would be better spent building up your base fitness rather than using it on doing more long runs, not because of the risk of injury, but because base fitness will help you get through the long runs and marathon in better shape. Having said that, everyone's different, so what works for one person might not work for another. I'll do stuff that other people here don't and vice-versa, so I'd get a few second opinions and then decide.

One thing I'd recommend is keeping a diary of what you've done so you can look back and see how your pace etc has improved over time. And it'll be invaluable if you decide to do another marathon after Paris as you'll be able to look back, see what you felt worked, what didn't work and where your strengths and weaknesses are, then tweak the plan accordingly.

• Options
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    TheEngineer - the made me laugh a lot, out loud, in fact.

Holymoley - you're right on track, training wise, no worries. For my money, getting back to UK on the day I'd recommend the Eurostar. The airports are a hassle from the centre of Paris. I stayed in a hotel last year, expensively, but this year am in an apartment I found in airbnb.com which is way more affordable but I'm in on Thursday to Monday. ATM has all the info though.

More movies: La Haine is my fave Paris movie, still remember how exciting and upsetting it was in the cinema, black and white visuals, chilling, contemporary, funny and disturbing. 

A fine film, and one with what is possibly my favourite shot in a film.  Single take that circles the characters for 2-3 minutes as they walk through the banlieue.

ATM wrote (see)

That sounds a bit weird, actually...Where IS DLR?

You called?

• Options

Holey..welcome.  I'd agree with Weedy.  No point getting ahead of yourself at this stage theres a long way to go and the risk of overtraining is there.  Spend 4 weeks on getting a solid base ahead of week 1.  As for the treadmill, I don't see why you couldn't do it but I'd question why you would want to?

• Options

TP - Well done on your podium finish.

Right tomorrow is the start of the detox. I think it's fair to say 16 bars of chocolate in less than 2 hours constitutes horrendous eating.

• Options
    Eggy - depends on the size of the bars of chocolate. If it's those tiny bars of Green and Blacks, not so much of a problem. If it's those foot-long bars of Dairy Milk, can I suggest a stomach pump image ?

OO - fab time, well done (never mind the seconds, they're imaginary anyway).

TP - well done you. But the only Scot in a kilt race in Paris? Whatever happened to the Auld Alliance?

DV - a few thoughts about your running for beginners plan. I think it's fair to say that virtually all women who take up running as adults are doing it for weight control reasons - either to lose weight, or to avoid putting it on. Never having been a man, I don't know if it's the same, but I suspect similar. Once they start, there may be all kinds of reasons for continuing that aren't related to weight control, but that's probably what's going to get them started in the first place.

Having decided to throw some cash at my Paris accommodation, the Astrid is full image . So I'm back in my cheapy B&B on RER line B.
  • Options
    Rob - I don't want to, I hate running on the treadmill but I'm a single parent and it saves organising childcare for one run a week! Needs must....
  • Options

I'll admit despite the chocolate bar incidents (RR - it was 4 x Double Deckers, 4 x Twirls, 4 x Crunchies & 4 x Picnics image) I didn't take up running to lose weight. Originally I just wanted to tick run a marathon of the bucket list. Once I actually got fit, as a kid and young adult I'd always been horrifically bad at any cardio stuff, I just wanted to maintain that fitness. Then improve times etc.

• Options
    Thank you weedy for such a comprehensive answer.

You and rob are in consensus (seems to be a rarity in running as there are just so many ways to train. So I'll build a better base and go on from there image

What is everyone's longest run? My training schedule has 20 miles, last time I did 22 miles. I think I might do that again, depending on how I'm feeling when I get there.
  • Options
    Wow! 16 bars - mini or full size? That's impressive! I've been carb-loading today, with a roast dinner and an entire chocolate orange, ready for starting my schedule tomorrow (shame it starts with a 3 mile steady run!)

I'm not going to diet but I could do with losing 1-1.5 stone, so I'm going to be eating clean.
  • Options

Full size. I do tend to find when I'm not training my eating gets worse, but this weekend has been stupid even for me.

• Options

Holeymoley - don't go confusing me with an expert. I'm generally an idiot.

Longest training run's going to be full marathon distance, although I'm probably in the minority here in going full distance in training. I like the psychological aspect of knowing I can go all the way (stop sniggering at the back DLR)

Eggy - That's worrying. I'll say no more. Although I can't talk - I've been panic buying Wine Gums...

/members/images/727962/Gallery/Wine_Gums.JPG

They were half price to be fair

• Options

Well done OO and TP - good stuff

DV - they are in the trash. 

My legs are sore today. Very hilly 18 miles yesterday took it's toll on my quads, and I detect a little bit of ITB nonsense. I'm working on the principle that if I ignore it, it will get really pissed off at me and leave.

Eggy - Crunchies - my favorite and can't get them here. I went through about 10 in my week in the UK recently.

• Options

That's an interesting thought, RR..

ok..  question for everyone here...   why did you start running..?

For me, I went to see a friend run the London 10k (dreadful race!!!) and was surprised at the age of the runners..  I had assumed running was for young people...  so..  I figured I'd have a go...  

• Options

Holey - for longest runs, it'll depend on how I feel but all being well there will be 1 x 23, 1 x 22, 4 x 20.  Just depends on how training goes.

• Options

Me and two friends in a pub had a few too many beers and decided we'd enter the Great North Run for a laugh. Having had absolutely no experience of running whatsoever. I just scraped in under three hours.

• Options

Holey - For me it'll be 3 x 20, 1 x 21 and 1 x 22. That being that I can get back to fitness to actually start training in time, or I'll need to rethink my training plan and target.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Weedy - totally agree on keeping the running diary. I jot down a few notes with my times and distances and it's really good to look back on. I only started running just over a year ago, so some of the entries are quite amusing, now "5 miles done. really hard going. Very tired" image

DV - I was watching the London Marathon and got it into my head that I'd like to do that. Needless to say, I didn't get in, so signed up for Paris - the rest is history.

With regards to taking family to running events - Mrs O goes everywhere with me. To be fair, she bikes along on all of my training runs so it would be unfair to not take her to these nice places - where she hops around the course to give me much needed support. She actually gets a bit grumpy if she can't get around the course.

Tricky - we're all sitting in the virtual waiting room with our fingers crossed. Good luck, mate.

Holey - my longest runs will be around 20 miles but I plan to do at least 3 of them.

• Options
    Holey, for me its 3x20mile and 1x21 mile. A half at full pelt, a 10k at full pelt and a bunch of lsrs ranging from 12 to 17 depending on what else I did that week and what I've got coming up the following week.
  • Options
    DV: why did I start. Before I quit smoking 10 years ago I already knew I'd be taking up running again (was always good at middle distance and cross country at school). I always sat watching the London marathon every year blubbing at the shear bravery of the runners. A cynical friend told me i'd never complete a marathon (at the time was a stoner) I never forgot his words and its egged me on over the years.
  • Options

Holey...    when NASA invented the Curiosity space buggy thing they were originally going to send it to Paris to gain data on the French.   However, this proved to be too expensive so they sent it to Mars instead....    Paris is not a cheap weekend away.. image

As for family...  Mrs DV and some friends have accompanied me to various events over the years, including Paris...   it largely depends on childcare arrangements.  Paris next year is different and will require a different logistical approach so it's highly unlikely she'll be coming.