Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Hi apologies if this question has been answered to death... Does anyone have advice for spectating? My boyfriend will be battling the crowds on his own, we need a plan where i can have a ressonable decent chance of seeing him,
  • Options

Homework doneimage........not that anything actually registered.......Now when will I have time to do the next lot as its issued on Saturday morning and I need to find 8 hours to do it before the following Saturday???? I suppose I wont be running at KOCimage

• Options
    holeymoley wrote (see)
    Having a mini panic here. I did a crappy 5 mile run on Sat, where 10 min miles felt really hard (I normally run that distance between 9-9.30 min miles) and today I did 3.5 miles in 31 mins in treadmill, which is fine, time wise but I felt awful and my stomach was very upset afterwards. I just don't feel myself. I've lost my appetite too. I thought I'd be bouncing with energy but I'm not, any advice?

Don't panic, not even mini-ly, you'll be fine. A few days into my taper I did a 5-miler, which felt incredibly tough. I reckon that as soon as you start to taper, your brain realises it's a chance to take it easy for a bit and your body goes into shock at not having to churn out the long miles. What seemed easy a few weeks ago seems tougher now. Plus the appetite thing might be nerves kicking in a bit? Don't know what everyone else is like, but I seem to be more tired now that I was during the training. I've been sleeping 10, 11, 12 hours a night.Your brain knows it has to sort itself out for Sunday. Read RS's link to taper traps above - stuff in there applies a bit.

Don't know if the Chimp Paradox stuff applies here? Sounds like it might, but I haven't read the book. Anyone?

ATM wrote (see)

Oh, on other News..  

Hehe image

Hi Kirsty

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Kirsty - the previous poster, Radar Sal, has exactly what you need. She'll be along shortly to offer it to you.

If he fancies company then the naughty boys (Tricky and DLR) will be doing a rolling supporters role around the route.
  • Options

Kirsty - me, TD, Mr T and Kaz's bairns wil be spectating from a couple of places.  He's welcome to join us.  Radar Sal has a good spectating guide too. 

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Weedy - 12 hours per night. Jeez. I'm having the opposite problem. Not sleeping properly.

I'm out late on Friday at the theatre - culture, me! - and up at KOC for my flight to Paris on Sat, so I'm hoping to sleep well on Saturday night.
  • Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Busy day of taper madness going on here.

Went out tonight for an interval at MP session to get rid of the sluggish feeling after 2 weeks of non running.

The plan was simple. After a 7 mile last Friday and a 10 mile with MP on Sunday, today was about getting the legs working over shorter distance but without overdoing it.

As I started my last of my 4 x 800m at MP, I felt a really sharp pain in my left hammy. I think I have done it so to speak.

Stopped straight away and hobbled back home.

I am not going to panic just yet. I will wait to tomorrow. If no improvement then I will go into melt down.

Tonights run was comfortable if not even easy. I felt great for the first time in weeks and then .... the end might have happened .....

• Options
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Don't panic, not even mini-ly, you'll be fine. A few days into my taper I did a 5-miler, which felt incredibly tough. I reckon that as soon as you start to taper, your brain realises it's a chance to take it easy for a bit and your body goes into shock at not having to churn out the long miles. What seemed easy a few weeks ago seems tougher now. Plus the appetite thing might be nerves kicking in a bit? Don't know what everyone else is like, but I seem to be more tired now that I was during the training. I've been sleeping 10, 11, 12 hours a night.Your brain knows it has to sort itself out for Sunday. Read RS's link to taper traps above - stuff in there applies a bit.

Don't know if the Chimp Paradox stuff applies here? Sounds like it might, but I haven't read the book. Anyone?

Sort of yes.

If your chimp is wide awake and ruling the roost he has a tendency towards catastrophic reasoning - he'll always fear/assume the worst.  You're probably not genuinely tired but I'd guess he's either getting you to rest more as an over reaction to the forthcoming exertion or he's trying to convince you you're ill/worn out or whatever.

• Options

In the car this morning I was thinking, and I wanted to let you all know. You are all amazing people. You are all about to do something that some people could never imagine doing - all the training is a feat in itself, let alone the mental strength required to sign up for and participate in a marathon. All the KOC's, all the injuries, all the ITBs, all the OROD/BROD, all the physios, all the deep heat (or your country's wonderful smelling equivalent) have led you to this point. You are amazing.

A marathon is nothing to be sneezed at, regardless of how many or how few you've done before. The run is a celebration of all the training you and everyone else has done. I feel honoured to get to run (& carb load) with you all. Thank you all for your support and guidance.

I have found another taper-madness phase. Calm realisation and acceptance. I'm sure the absolute freak out will follow. 10 hours 23 minutes until my flight departs.

• Options
    So who hasn't packed, am packing, or have packed? I packed mine and left home exactly 3 weeks ago. Ok in the spirit of full disclosure, Paris was an extension of what I packed for Barca, still it was done 3 weeks ago. Is there an award?
  • Options
    Carl,

I were you, I will immediately see a physio. I had exactly same experience last year.
  • Options

Thanks Weedy - I read that article, its so me! Every little niggle is the end of the world - oh no, I sneezed, must be pneumonia!

I've decided to start carb loading (gently) early, because I lost 4lbs this week (I'm a weight watchers member but have only been loosly following during marathon training), and I don't think I should be losing weight now. I'd like to build up my energy / glycogen / whatever reserves. So I'm sitting here with a bowl of icecream - yum!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Music - just had a chance to listen to Jonathan and Charlotte's album 'Together'.  Wonderful.

• Options
    @KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Weedy - Excellent news on the Amsterdam, will have to be next year as Mr KS has banned me from running anywhere near our impending nuptials (September 2013). I did suggest a honeymoon to Loch Ness for that marathon but alas, was vetoed. 

Ooh, fantasy runs, anyone?

Mine are (in no particular order and by no means exhaustive):

Loch Ness marathon

Coniston 14

New York marathon

Can I say from my experience that NYC marathon was a drudge, is hugely overhyped, the scenery and logistics were awful. Can't find a good thing to say about it really in comparison with so many other cracking maras.  Best atmosphere I think was an Alpe d'Huez style finish around the cathedral in Cologne. Magnificent.

kirsty jones 7 wrote (see)
    Hi apologies if this question has been answered to death... Does anyone have advice for spectating? My boyfriend will be battling the crowds on his own, we need a plan where i can have a ressonable decent chance of seeing him,

Like Rob said, he's welcome to join our little gang. Meet at the Arc at 8am sharp. I'll have a big Belgian flag with yellow love heart in the middle.

http://www.heart-flag.org/images/belgian-flag/belgian-flag.png

• Options
    Anyone done the New Forest marathon? I think that's next on my list
  • Options
    Morning all - just catching up from last night - went to see a French film to get in the mood. Much madness going on here. I think we need a thread hug.

http://youtu.be/0auCDOERZyE

Carl - get some ice on that calf. It may just be a cramp sorting itself out rather than a major issue, but best to be on the safe side. It wouldn't do any harm to get a physio to look at it if you can.
  • Options

Off on my bike for a 25km hilly ride - last effort before SUNDAY  image

Anyone other than Onetit and myself bugged by people who seem to ask the following question, 'Oh, you are running the Paris marathon this time; how far is that then'?  I don't necessarily expect people to know the exact mileage but surely they should know that it is a standard distance.  image  

• Options
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    kirsty jones 7 wrote (see)

Like Rob said, he's welcome to join our little gang. Meet at the Arc at 8am sharp. I'll have a big Belgian flag with yellow love heart in the middle.

http://www.heart-flag.org/images/belgian-flag/belgian-flag.png

And i'll have one of these (so you can imagine you're a Brownlee brother running through Hyde Park last August):

http://www.warstore.co.uk/ekmps/shops/marlina/images/yorkshire-new-5-x-3-flag-4116-p.jpg

• Options
    Elizabeth Ellis 3 wrote (see)

Anyone other than Onetit and myself bugged by people who seem to ask the following question, 'Oh, you are running the Paris marathon this time; how far is that then'?  I don't necessarily expect people to know the exact mileage but surely they should know that it is a standard distance.  image  

Not if you are my mother .... when I got a London place she said oh but it's not as far when you run London .... durrrrrrr

ATM and I met a very nice lady after we did Venice who said she was considering doing a marathon, a 5k one!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    holeymoley wrote (see)
    Anyone done the New Forest marathon? I think that's next on my list

I've done the half a few years back. A lovely route. Not a lot of crowd support but cracking after race provisions.

Morning all, after working until 1am - i've moved my run to later this afternoon *yawn*

• Options
    Hi everyone, not posted for a couple of weeks but getting very excited now ! Printed my convocation, I'm in the green 4hour pen but wondering if its worth moving up to purple? Originally under 4h was my goal but going off my long run times and recent half mara race(1:39:46) I think I can do it slightly quicker ??! I just remember that last year in Berlin I was in the last pen and the start was VERY slow ! Any suggestions ??

4 days to go, eeeek !
  • Options

Ha ha, we had someone come to help  with the car yesterday, he asked ...." are you running in Paris again, the marathon"?  Yes I replied, so how far is it this time???? LOL  Rolled eyes.

Emmy - I too have that vest, (not with your name on of course) and wore it in Rome - crisp shoulders, so won't be wearing it. Was tempted, but now have one with shoulder coverings and my name on the front - in PINK!!

Sadly, failed to get green ribbon, but will cut something off the edge of a t-towel (if I can find a green part...! 

Off to get more wood - still cold here.  And vet is coming later - it might be sad news later, but I'm being brave image

6k to do, so that will help once the vet has been.

• Options
    RickJames wrote (see)
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Rather than the Paris Metro Map download the RATP app. Its free, contains the map and will also plan routes for you - including times, lines and direction of travel.

+1

I just downloaded this last week and have found it amazingly useful.

Even better is the Sorties Metro app...    it tells you which carriage to get on, so that you will be by the exit when the metro gets to your stop.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Onetit wrote (see)

Ha ha, we had someone come to help  with the car yesterday, he asked ...." are you running in Paris again, the marathon"?  Yes I replied, so how far is it this time???? LOL  Rolled eyes.

Emmy - I too have that vest, (not with your name on of course) and wore it in Rome - crisp shoulders, so won't be wearing it. Was tempted, but now have one with shoulder coverings and my name on the front - in PINK!!

Sadly, failed to get green ribbon, but will cut something off the edge of a t-towel (if I can find a green part...! 

Off to get more wood - still cold here.  And vet is coming later - it might be sad news later, but I'm being brave image

6k to do, so that will help once the vet has been.

I had the choice of various colours but thought that white on red was a good combo. I normally wear a shirt underneath it to cover my shoulders so hopefully it wont be too bad. I'll cross my fingers that it's good news at the vets.

Dark Vader wrote (see)
    RickJames wrote (see)
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Rather than the Paris Metro Map download the RATP app. Its free, contains the map and will also plan routes for you - including times, lines and direction of travel.

+1

I just downloaded this last week and have found it amazingly useful.

Even better is the Sorties Metro app...    it tells you which carriage to get on, so that you will be by the exit when the metro gets to your stop.

I'm very jealous of all of you with smartphones... Just as a note: be careful if you're not used to travelling abroad too often. The roaming charges may apply and it could get expensive.

• Options
    Ok, so the freak out is here. They made me check in my carry on with ALL my running stuff. I only have the BROD. it WILL make it to singapore in one piece it WILL! Breathe J, breathe!
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Sazzle  - purple pen for you, I reckon.  Even though green is the cool place to be this year...

• Options

Thanks everyone for the helpful commens with the Garmin and Paris tunnels.......

Packed last night so I can unpack and repack a good few times before Friday! image

• Options

Thanks for the welcome guys. Reader Sal, will be great to see what advice you have

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Last run done before Paris. Next run breakfast run on Saturday morning. image

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Sazzle - change! I'm planning to, although I've a horrible feeling I'll be overtaken by everyone from the green pen in due course.

Dreamt last night that I missed the start - turned up an hour late. 'Twas a bit lonely til I caught up with the folks at the rear.

Been checked in for my flight - looks like I am going!