Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Brilliant photos YM! Friended.

• Options
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

Flying visit as it's been a busy weekend of running, cooking, PT session, receiving bondage related texts from Maus....

Perhaps this explains the latest variety of unexplained bruises on my legs...

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Garmin group name suggestion: Paris...again and again and again...

YM - she's found you...doubt we'll hear much from her for the next while as she lurks around all the babble.

• Options

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

b) Someone can think of a practical and/or amusing group name.  I'd be conservative 'Paris Marathon Threaders' or offensive and inappropriate 'Paris MoFos'.  There must be a middle ground.

Chariots of Dire? Maybe not, I'll put the thinking cap back on

I is jfdp1974 on Garmin

The 'Bristol Convocations'?

• Options
    Dannirr wrote (see

Any golfers amongst the group?

Must one be a good golfer to qualify? I've been known to swear at a little white dimpled ball from time to time...image

• Options

Has anybody heard how Bedders got on?

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Dannirr - I played golf a bit when I was a kid. I never was that good at it though. Decent long game, but my short game was awful. Not hit a ball in years now.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Maus - Bedders finished in 3:06:50 and he looked very pleased at the end.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm watching the marathon as I recorded it last Sunday....the Eurosport commentators are getting right on my wick....image

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

I'm watching the marathon as I recorded it last Sunday....the Eurosport commentators are getting right on my wick....image

Didn't your mummy tell you not to play with candles?

Just turn the sound off and play "I've got a feeling" over the top...

• Options
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)

Flying visit as it's been a busy weekend of running, cooking, PT session, receiving bondage related texts from Maus....

Perhaps this explains the latest variety of unexplained bruises on my legs...

What can I say?  We both got a little over excited what with the webcams, ropes, padlocks and, of course, arm warmers.

• Options
    Jus T wrote (see)
    Tartan, love the idea of free running tour, how'd you find out about that? 

Stopped at the Lolé running stand (Canadian firm) at bib pickup, they had nice running gear (if you are young and slim).  Chatted to the girl who said they have a shop in Paris and do free running, Pilates, yoga sesssions etc, all info on their FB page.  Linky below.  We started at the Tuileries, then went to Invalides, Montparnasse, Port Royal, down Bd St Michel then along the quais to the shop in the Marais.  Plus the sun shone, I was a sweaty mess at the end ... I've often wondered if there would be a market for running tours in Paris.  Just not 42k please.

https://www.facebook.com/loleparis?fref=ts

edited to add it's the Pyongyang Marathon today.  Do we know anyone doing that one?  I'd probably be stuck in a labour camp for being so slow  image

• Options
    TP - that sounds fun image

I think I have finally lost the plot....sat down to watch the marathon and Dallas which I recorded last week when in Paris, only to realise I had switched the bloody socket off before I left.....doh...

Horizontal rain now stopped and bright sunshine, cycle later I think if Mr kaz is up for it(he can use my old bike!!!!)
  • Options

Kaz, enjoy the cycle.  Is Dallas really still going?  You know the real one is in Scotland  image

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b1/Dallas.JPG/240px-Dallas.JPG

To whoever on here suggested carrying a real hanky for the marathon, thank you very much for a top tip.  Much better than soggy tissues.  And before anyone says soggy hanky instead it was so hot it dried out between wipes image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

There already is a group offering running tours, TP. Look here   http://www.parisrunningtour.com/  I'm sure ,I saw one of the principals accompanying a runner on the Half. He was setting the pace and encouraging him. I think there are similar firms in most big cities. If I ever get to New York, it would be how I'd like to see the place image

• Options
    BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

Hurrah! Finally back online, didn't get back til Wednesday evening and it's been hectic since then hence why I'm just posting now! Have attempted to catch up but there's 50+ pages since last Sunday.....!

What an amazing trip! I can't break it all down as it'll take forever and I'm sure I'd just be repeating what others have said over and over again. Highlights for me;

* The expo, I honestly must have eaten my weight in free PowerBars, sod paying £2 a pop, just nick all the samples!

* Breakfast run; a lovely morning and a nice little sightseeing trot.

* Raceday:

Had a tight calf pretty much from the off which gave me a bit of grief with my shins for the first 15K, but to be fair it probably did me a favour as it stopped me from going out too quick. I never really struggled too much and was seemingly fighting more of a mental battle than a physical one for the last 10K or so.

I loved all the stuff along the way and took a lot more in that I had in previous marathons and the 30Kish barrier seemed to come round pretty quickly. It was at that point that I knew, barring a major disaster, I could keep the pace to get in under my target 3:10. Tried a couple of times to push the pace but cramp was setting in which limited my movement somewhat.

The finish: WOW! The home-straight was proper 'never-forget' stuff, and was absolutely delighted in roll in at 3:05:50. I was meeting the girlfriend up near the Arc, took me a good 40 minutes to get there due to the sheer volume of people and the fact I was trying to take it all in!

The next few hours were spent sprawled on the grass drinking Heineken and eating those massive hot-dogs; ACE! We got back to the apartment, had a quick shower then got straight back out on the ale. Attempted to make it to Cochorans but to be honest I was lethered by 8pm and didn't have a clue where we were!

* The following day consisted of 16 HOURS at Disneyland, God I love that place!

Well done to everyone who took part, and a big thank you for all the support, advice and laughs on here, it's been a pleasure!

• Options

Nice report Bedders and tremendous time image

For the Garmin connect group I've gone with Bristol Convocations as I liked its obscurity.

I think I've invited everyone except...

...Maus & James.  Can't seem to find you - could be case sensitive or could just be me - but could you double check?

I tried adding an Arc picture but they need to be square...any ideas welcome.

Will aslo work out if I can make everyone administrators.   

• Options

Rob - am TrickyDickyBE on Garmin Connect

Mausey - if there's any more tieing up going on, please just make sure I'm not roped up to Rob again. It's not what I signed up for.

Oh boy - just ran 10 miles with a friend, it's over 20C here sunny all the way. The second half my HR didn't really fall below 92%, peaked at 97% but we were plodding around. Very obviously still affected by whatever lurgy has been inside the last 3 weeks. I really wanted to throw up. Feel a bit queer now. Maybe the ironing pile will make me feel better?!?

• Options
    Well last long run done - used mapmyrun+ app only for it to stop working at mile 15 - but did another 4.5 so happy with 19.5 image and relieved that nothing broke or fell off. Was tough as the first 13 or so miles where into a nasty 28mph headwind but all done now and even did a 5 mile dog walk as well!!! Very easy week next until Friday as away with miss pf at uni visit to St. Andrews - not taking runners going to do trott tomorrow with the dogs if dry and then nothing!!

Am getting slightly excited ........

Happy trotting image
  • Options
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Mausey - if there's any more tieing up going on, please just make sure I'm not roped up to Rob again. It's not what I signed up for....

....Feel a bit queer now. 

Ahem.

Besides, you seemed pretty pleased the other day.

• Options
    Princess Fiona wrote (see)
    Well last long run done - used mapmyrun+ app only for it to stop working at mile 15 - but did another 4.5 so happy with 19.5 image and relieved that nothing broke or fell off. Was tough as the first 13 or so miles where into a nasty 28mph headwind but all done now and even did a 5 mile dog walk as well!!! Very easy week next until Friday as away with miss pf at uni visit to St. Andrews - not taking runners going to do trott tomorrow with the dogs if dry and then nothing!!
    Am getting slightly excited ........

Happy trotting image

Is it 2 weeks today?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Nice one Bedders - that's an amazing time image  Sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed the experience too.

Tricky - take it easy, matey.  Great you are pushing your distance again but sounds as though you're still viral.  I'm about to do some sympathy ironing too....

PF - this time next week it'll all be over....you're ready, intact and in one piece which is a pretty good place to be image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Today I am mostly screaming profanities at my laptop.

Somehow, the software that I am using to edit the video has decided that I should start from scratch.

Aaaaaargh.
  • Options

To whoever on here suggested carrying a real hanky for the marathon, thank you very much for a top tip.  Much better than soggy tissues.  And before anyone says soggy hanky instead it was so hot it dried out between wipes image

C'est moi, Le Marathon Maus... (waggles glasses)...any other 'Allo 'Allo afficionados?

• Options

Hearty congratulations Bedders. You'll have returned to discover that we're all as crackers as ever...

TD: Take care of yourself. Please. We need you. "You're our only hope... (hangs bagels over ears)".

Orbutt: In sympathy, I've just finished a shiny excel spreadsheet with our hotel recommendations. I have sworn at it fairly regularly. Unlike DLR, it doesn't respond well to violence.

Sorry. Champagne clearly still going to my head.

• Options

C'est moi, Le Marathon Maus... (waggles glasses)...any other 'Allo 'Allo afficionados?

Back in its day, a little yes.

I think it was more about Vicki Michelle than Arthur Bostrum.

• Options

I have sworn at it fairly regularly. Unlike DLR, it doesn't respond well to violence.

You don't know your own strength.  

• Options

Back in its day, a little yes.

I think it was more about Vicki Michelle than Arthur Bostrum.

Vicki Michelle is definitely GFA, saw a pic of her recently.  

• Options

DLR - The Bristol Convocations... You are some kinda genius dude!

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

DLR - The Bristol Convocations... You are some kinda genius dude!

Maus will be along shortly to correct this statement.