Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Iain - I probably didn't do the course in Berlin justice, but to be honest most of the second half of that race is a blur of pain to me. That was my worst day at the office in a marathon. An injury and heat killed me that day and all I remember from the half way point until the Gate was in front of me was a never ending tide of Denmark shirts and uttering the words "never again" over and over! Thankfully I didn't stick to that plan with TD talking me into entering Paris 2011 in the Berlin thread after the race. So you can blame him for me being around these parts, and I can thank him finding a fantastic bunch of friends and getting that sub 4.

One thing though to the Berlin bound is if you can plan for a few days to explore the city. I loved Berlin and really wished I'd planned for an extra few days there to explore more of the city.

Kaz - I remember IronSwissBobby. I think that salad you had after the expo was the only real food you eat all that weekend!

• Options
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

..and I can thank him finding a fantastic bunch of friends and getting that sub 4.

Back at ya Big Manimage

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)

YM: I witnessed this event and it was incredibly touching...when we got over worrying that he was a nutter.

I love the fact that a bunch of people with a stool flag were worried the other guy was a nutter! image

• Options
    Is he related to Swiss Tony?
  • Options
    IronSwissBobby that is.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    YM - love that story.

Ok, autumn 2014 is all good with me. This could be an epic trip. And plenty time to save up for those still undecided.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Simon - He's Kilmarnock's Swiss Tony!

• Options
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

Congrats OO - shame we missed you around the course. By all accounts, we were, ahem, unmissable, but perhaps we were only just warming up when you went by.

We were on the outside of a bend and the faster runners took advantage of the lack of congestion on the course to be able to take a tight inside line so OO wouldn't easily have seen us - same with a couple of lads I know.  Then at 23.5 he'll have been finished by the time we got there!

I could go so many places with this....Master. Well have you trained me.

Orbutt wrote (see)
    DLR - of course I've got your special guest appearance, I couldn't miss that could I?

Maus, if you mate has got the face then she must be absolutely stunning.

She is stunning Orbutt!

She is on her own journey of self-discovery and trying to improve her health and lose a couple of kilos.

Other than you lot, and far more importantly, she's possibly the most caring person I've met, she's sharp as a tack, witty, bubbly, hilarious, gutsy and fun; people (of all sorts of different types) are magnetically drawn to her.

As so many of you kind people have pointed out, it says more about the sayer than it does about the sayee. And thankfully, she recognises the ill will behind the comment too. She is made of much sterner stuff than me!

And best of all. She's coming to Paris with me next year.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

The boys are gonna have a collective coronary...

• Options
    I've just perked up again
  • Options
    Eggy, am using horrible fruit based device so cant quote your comment at 22:04 tonight but i almost pee'd myself when i read that. Do i need to send you an ITLR application form by the way?

I missed why Iain would have a 'shagging list' but pleased for MM that she's worthy of a listing. Credit where credit is due and all that.

I remember how on the 2009 thread, we said that the person who was able to finish as close as possible to their predicted race rime, could win a night out with a lovely young filly on the thread at that time (remember Gemster?) or have a free kebab which i would pay for. The person who won was Finchey Strider and i believe he and Gemma are getting married this year. Funny how some things work out.

BTW, if anyone wants a several year old kebab that's been carefully stored in a tupperware container, just let me know. I'll pay the postage...
  • Options

DLR - fab thing re: The North.

Danni - the NM marathon in 2014... Sounds great.

Eggy - Berlin is a fab town, sorry to hear Berlin 2010 was so tough for you. I've never been in a position to push in Berlin so have just plodded round trying to enjoy it... Sounds familiar as regards my marathon attempts!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

TD - Iain admitted a couple of weeks ago that he's always read my "Snagging List" comment as "Shagging List".  We're determined to not let him forget it....

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Simon Mac3:30 wrote (see)
    I've just perked up again

Steady on, love.

• Options
    "Toilets: Better than Paris. Far more of them in the start area and a handy wooded area for men or ladies not wanting to wait in queues"

There were men at VLM on Sunday not wanting to wait, so openly peeing at the start line through the side barriers...Mrs SeanB also thought she heard the start commentator talking about someone doing a number 2 at the start as well!! As for me...I was too prudish to use the bottle I'd taken so queued like a good boy for the urinals!
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    So the older kid turned 21 today. We came up to Nashville to take him and friends to dinner. What was I thinking? 5 college kids who've been eating cafeteria food and junk now find themselves in an awesome steakhouse....lets just say that a air ticket to visit y'all would have been cheaper!

Oh well, he's worth it.
  • Options

Congrats OO - shame we missed you around the course. By all accounts, we were, ahem, unmissable, but perhaps we were only just warming up when you went by.

We were on the outside of a bend and the faster runners took advantage of the lack of congestion on the course to be able to take a tight inside line so OO wouldn't easily have seen us - same with a couple of lads I know.  Then at 23.5 he'll have been finished by the time we got there!

I could go so many places with this....Master. Well have you trained me.

Good, you have done well my apprentice.

(jb will like that one)

yer_maj wrote (see)

The boys are gonna have a collective coronary...

It's ok, we'll disguise it as an asthma attack.

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

I've never been in a position to push in Berlin so have just plodded round trying to enjoy it... 

Until this year....?

• Options

Berliners - thank you for the thoughts.

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

TD - Iain admitted a couple of weeks ago that he's always read my "Snagging List" comment as "Shagging List".  We're determined to not let him forget it....

Some people have filthy minds Yer_Maj, so I can understand why you've put MM top of the list. Presumably you're next then?

Sorry for those under the clouds and cold air. A proper warm sunny spring day here. Think I'll be taking myself out for a couple of hours later on the bike to conquer some hills (like this). Would like to run but taking care of the hamstring tendon.

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Smeysberg_close-up_low-res.jpg

• Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)
    So the older kid turned 21 today. 

21..?   Where do the years fly..?   My daughter will be 11 in a few days time.  She will be away on a school trip to France over her birthday period and is very excited as she feels all grown up...   I can't imagine her being 21 and away at Uni..  

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Simon Mac3:30 wrote (see)
    Swiss Tony says : 'making love to MM is like making love to a beautiful woman'

I cracked up with this!

yer_maj wrote (see)
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)
    Like the awful woman who commented to a friend of mine that, 'she (my friend) has the face, and Maus (obviously she used my real name!) has the body'. This insults both of us on so many levels and makes me absolutely furious on behalf of my friend. Yet it's the thing I can't forget.

She's an idiot.

And blind.

I second this opinion.

Quite.  You're a beautiful girl - Mr Maj had plenty to say when he saw a pic of you on Sunday.  And you're a darling with it.  Technically, we should hate you  image

Sorry folks. I really wasn't wanting to seek compliments. I don't believe you all, but you're kind to say nice things.

I am, however, really angry on behalf of my friend. If this is what this woman says to her friends, I'd hate to hear what she says about her enemies.

I agree Maus. My hubby saw your picture and asked: Who's the hotty? I agree that if she can say that - what else can she say? but we're telling the truth. We're honest like thatimage

RE: Berlin peeps. As I've got the lingua Franca down and sorted - am happy to help if you need any support. I was thinking of organising a dinner on the saturday night if anyone is interested (in TD style).

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - Mrs O and I would be up for joining the meal image

Sean - I used the 'Bottle Trick' just before the start of the 2012 Liverpool Half. Unfortunately, I hadn't really thought it through properly. I was wearing compression tights, which made it a bit tricky.

I also managed to fill the bottle, which made for a nerve wracking last few dribbles image 

..and it wasn't really possible to 'shake' properly, so I started the race with a minor damp patch in my 2XUs.

Lesson learned.

• Options

Happy Birthday Audrey!!   image

• Options

Emmy - are you still staying in the same place in Berlin?? Think we would be up for the dinner, so thats 3 for your list!!

Another awful day of rain here. Couldn't get up this morning, and by this I don't mean tired couldn't get up......my gluteus maximus, quads and hamstrings are so sore I can hardley move..........not going to be a good day.image

• Options

Happy Birthday Audrey......how does it feel to be 21!!image

• Options

Joyeux anniversaire Audrey as they say the wrong side of the channel, have a great day xxx

image image image image

• Options

Mornin' all!

I've been thinking about whether I'll need to do some extra training for ITLR. Any ideas? I know Mr TD is thinking about this too, but was wondering if any of you are already making plans that I can shamelessly plagiarise. My copy of P&D is on its way over from Oz as we speak.

Dan: I'm so pleased your son is better. For some reason I thought you lived in Alberta, Georgia. Is New Mexico a holiday destination? Please don't stop the balloon photos coming - they're beautiful!

• Options

Emmy: I'm determined to get a Berlin place and if so, will definitely be there for the dinner!

• Options

I've been looking Maus, and there are lots of charity places oot there, it just depends on what you want to support really??

• Options

Thanks Kaz - I think you're right. There are some out there, but even some of them who are on websites as having places are sold out when I contact them.

But it does look like I've found one with Spinal Injuries Association. Won't be confirmed until 12 May as the contact goes on leave. And it's got a respectable minimum fundraising amount.

If I have any other nibbles, I may consider taking them as I'm nervous about it not being "confirmed".