Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Howdy to you too Jimbob. And happy birthday Princess.

Note to self. When adjusting one's running tights in the lift going down into the Greenwich foot tunnel, it's worth bearing in mind a) that the lift doors are made of glass and b) there will be a queue of cyclists politely waiting in the tunnel when it arrives image .

Never mind, at least I know about the sink water now, so I can relax. If anyone else needs a science project for their holidays, let me know.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

5 days to what???

Until registration opens, woman!

• Options

Doh!!!image

My mind is in another galaxy!!image

• Options

Date for the Forum Massive...    get your diaries out and keep free...

Thursday 1st November...   

Drinks, dinner and generally being silly...

Somewhere in central London...  venue to be announced later.  

Partners welcome...  

After-dinner entertainment provided...!!   imageimage

Reason - to welcome Dannirr back to London in anticipation of The Great Race..!

No excuses.....   be there....!!!!!!!

• Options

HappyBerfffday to Princess Fiona!

Last night i ran 6 miles back from work with my annoying work bag (kind of like a laptop/man bag) that was stuffed full of paperwork and my jeans, phone, coat, and all sorts of other crap stuffed in there and it was swinging about and i don't recommend it. Ended up carrying it by handle and swapping arm to arm when the ache set in (about 500 times). running accross the heath bit was nice tho (although all up hill) in the rain - Hampstead heath is just as lovely in the rain especially in the overgrown bit. Once i got to White Stone Pond (you Londoners know where that is) it was all flat / downhill from there so i put the bag accross me but at the front so it was bouncing around but i managed to have some sort of ok run with it. Anyhoo thats the last time i do that - was annoying but at least i got the run in and then devoted some extra time to the wife'n'kids. I don't reccomend the bag thing but having that thing bouncing about the place it did make me think while i was running (and it helped me to keep going despite the discomfort) - when i ran the marathon I was carrying the equivelant of about 6 of those bags - (or about an extra sixteen bags of sugar) on my body and still doing all the same length training runs, halves etc - anyway, moral of the story is don't do the bag thing - just get one those iddy biddy rucksacks or running belt something. HEY running accessories lets discuss?

• Options
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

Date for the Forum Massive...    get your diaries out and keep free...

Thursday 1st November...   

Drinks, dinner and generally being silly...

Somewhere in central London...  venue to be announced later.  

Partners welcome...  

After-dinner entertainment provided...!!   imageimage

Reason - to welcome Dannirr back to London in anticipation of The Great Race..!

No excuses.....   be there....!!!!!!!

DV and everyone else? 1st november is a bit of a sensitive date for me - not sure i can make it.  Lost my mum to leukaemia last year and 1st nov is her birthday so i will probably doing the cemetery / spend some time with my brother, play golf (or snooker if it rains) meet a couple of my mums very close friends for a catch up and day of reflection. Saying that, meeting some new people for a quick beverage / salad burger might be quite refreshing. I just have to see how i am on the day so if its ok take the details and one of your numbers and i'll text you later in the day if i am coming ? .....

these days Ive become a bit of a fundraiser for Leukaemia Research - they gave me the place in RTTB. If you want to read a bit of my story then see the link (but i assure you i am not trying to peddle sponsorship from you-only posting the link as you guys mentioned that day and its poignant to me). www.virginmoneygiving.com/jimconnell

• Options
    Hey Dannirr. Sorry I wasn't clear earlier. I was not putting those words in your mouth. They are the characterisations I hear coming from LA's PR team. I've expressed strong feelings because the bottom line is for me that sport is not a business but a display of character, so it hurts when a person who was a hero to many, turns out to be a horrible sham.

First of November is a very special day in Belgium too. It is quite literally, "Weapons still-standing Day" otherwise known as Armistice. Peace to you all.

Yer_Maj 14 mins improvement may not seem like a lot, but I think I was a few years further down the path of improvement than you are. And also, that should be understood as 7% improvement which would be worth about 19mins on 4h15marathon (as a like for like comparison). No reason you shouldn't do much better than that. I imagine your training for your next mara will be more than 40% greater than your first one won't it?
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Yes - I peaked at 40 miles last time - and I only did that once.  That's now regular weekly mileage for me and I'm planning on doing the P&D up to 55 miles programme this time (unless you are feeling creative again...image)  I can hear Hal's sobbing from here.

The forum should be warned that DV's after dinner entertainment is likely to come out of leftfield...

Jimbob - if you have to carry loads of stuff then a rucksack is going to be the best option as you'll be able to wear it out of the way on your back.  If it's just small stuff then I have a camelbak belt which is great.  Bit more expensive than some but it works perfectly for me - mainly because my hips hold it in place image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Dannirr - currently sitting in Sydney airport heading to the Rock

Yer Maj - Tricky has promised a demon plan for us. P&D? Pfft TDDP - now we're talking.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Orbutt: enjoy!

DV: excellent. Mrs D arrives in London that day so that's perfect. Entertainment? Cool! Any place you choose is good with me. Anything I can do to help facilitate?

Happy belated birthday Princess!

Toronto Expo was fun. Heard a talk by the 100 year old marathoner on "marathoning after 100 yrs of age". Not sure the audience was the right target. Spoke to one of the Pacing team leaders - never used a pace group before but think I might this time.
  • Options
    Thanks TD - it's not so much injury as an acute case of CBA-ness, which I fear is going to be terminal for my running "career". My catastrophisaction streak prescribes sticking head in sand and accepting inevitable conclusion of never running again, and regaining 25kg.

Dannirr: good luck tomorrow!

'Dam runners: are we all taking good care of our Tapirs?
  • Options
    Morning all.

Yer maj, for Paris 2011 I was doing about same mileage as you (and not following a plan as such, just running), for 2012 I followed p&d 55 mile after hearing dlr mention it. Hard work but it chopped 30 mins off my time. Partly due to lack of effort and self belief in 2011 I guess, but mainly down to the structure and added interest of different run types I think.

Swinedon half for me tomorrow, looking forward to it with slight nervousness given I'm booked to see consultant for strange lower calf next week....common sense not always a strong point....

Good weekend running all
  • Options
    Sean's: good luck for tomorrow. Go easy on yourself.
  • Options
    Er DV, may I have a leave pass for 1 November? Central London is a bit out of my way.
  • Options

Lets make a list...   because unless we are considering McD;s then I'll need to book a table somewhere....   please add your name...

London Calling - 1st Nov 2012

DEFINITELY 
    DV & Mrs DV
    Dan & Mrs Dan 

MAYBE 

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Deffo - Moi

Almost Deffo (unless he gets a job that week) - Mr Maj

DV do you have permission from NGUG to make this list?? image

• Options

DEFINITELY 
    DV & Mrs DV
    Dan & Mrs Dan
    yer_maj 

MAYBE
    Mr maj

don't tell NGUG I did...   I'll blame you....   it was your idea...

• Options
    Sean - good luck tomorrow, and at the doc's.

1st November - I'd love to be there but it's impossible with work I fear.

Dannirr - good luck tomorrow. How's the weather looking?

Amsterdam - really is a proper Paris reunion... Hope the tapers are fun.
  • Options

Pri Fi..    belated birthday wishes....   

Dannirr...  have fun tomorrow..    photo of the medal please, against something so I can assess its size....

Cardiff posse...   loads of fun to be had there....

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Size isn't everything, DV (actually it is, we just say that...)

I'm off to marshal at the Parkrun....I can practice being domineering and bossy, ready for Mr Maj's flying visit home tonight.

Sean - good luck!!

Dannirr - good luck!!

DV you need another list of acceptable food - put a big fat No against Chinese for me, please.  Then we can all argue about restaurants.

• Options
    hope you had a good time being highbrow in Harrogate lr. Coincidently I was brave and ventured into Leeds for some drinks with old work friends.

Almost like an exchange program really.
  • Options

Dannirr, sean, yer_maj (and anyone else I've forgotten) - GOOOOOD LUCK!!!!!

DV - count me in for dinner (haven't checked the diary but should be able to make it)

and it has to be done as it's the 25th anniversary or something.  Blame BBC breakfast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ 

• Options

DEFINITELY 
    DV & Mrs DV
    Dan & Mrs Dan
    yer_maj 
    Radar Sal 

MAYBE
    Mr maj
    the Jimbob (& mrs jimbob?)

• Options
    DV - add me to the definites please, and I'll eat anything, anywhere image . Jimbob, it would be great if you could join us, but obviously we understand if your head is elsewhere that day.

Good luck to Dannirr in Toronto, seanb in Swindon (I'm sure it's just as exotic) and Suzy Martines tackling the Kingston 16 this weekend. Anyone else?

Yer_maj - I always enjoy marshalling at parkruns. Any excuse for a hi-viz vest. Although I'd make sure you have your thermal vest on as well this morning.
  • Options

DEFINITELY 
    DV & Mrs DV
    Dan & Mrs Dan
    yer_maj 
    Radar Sal 
    Running Rodent 

MAYBE
    Mr maj
    the Jimbob (& mrs jimbob?)

• Options
    Stray Runner wrote (see)
    hope you had a good time being highbrow in Harrogate lr. Coincidently I was brave and ventured into Leeds for some drinks with old work friends.

Almost like an exchange program really.

How the other half live eh? image

November 1st is a definite no for me.  Having a week in Bamburgh then.  Day before my 29th birthday too.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

RR - how could you forget it's the Cardiff Half tomorrow?? image

High drama at Maj Towers this morning.  That demon kitten Riley decided that today was the day to climb next door's tree and get stuck.  So I have just had to inelegantly rescue him.  he's so pissed off with me for spoiling his fun, even though he was crying because he was stuck, that he's leaping around wiping his muddy paws on my duvet cover that's drying on the line....image

• Options
    Aargh! Of course the Cardiff Half! You should be lying down being brought bowls of carbs, not chasing cats! Good luck image
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Thanks and good running to all this weekend.
  • Options
    Yer Maj - forgot about Cardiff half. I hope you're trying to rest(!)

Good luck, and to DLR and the rest racing this weekend.