Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

DV - it'd be on the longest day of the year and in Orkney.  So there's less than 4 hrs "nighttime" which I think doesn't get too dark...but all conjecture at the moment.

• Options

hmmm..   ok..  well..  isn't doing it on a night with few hours and little actual darkness rather missing out on the potential beauty of the run..?   Surely an overnight run for the fun of it should try to take advantage of a totally dark sky so runners can enjoy the sheer amazement of the stars above..?

Some years ago, I took Mrs DV to Iceland.   Iceland makes Paris seem like a charity shop!  It is sooooooo expensive!  We drove about 30 miles out from Reykjavic (sp?) and just stood in total darkness watching the Northern Lights and the millions of stars above us, the milky way and a night sky that is rarely possible to see thesedays due to light pollution.   

I'd definitely be interested in going up to Orkney for some fun and an overnight run of whatever distance, but I think I'd want the effort to be rewarded by seeing a totally dark night sky.  That is a rare luxury thesedays...

• Options
    TD: looks like we finished 47th overall and 8th in category! Not bad!
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Seeing the Northern Lights is on my list....

I'm back, I survived, just.  Felt like I was hanging on by my fingernails for the last 8k and nearly in tears by the last straight!!  But I did it in 1:59...lost a minute at the end as an ambulance needed to get through a very narrow bit of the road so we all had to stop and get off the course.  Was jolly hard to get going again after that....I feel like I should feel more euphoric, I think I'm just tired.  The new course was as hilly as Glasgow and took me by surprise - so slightly more effort than I had expected.  perfect running conditions though - sunny, cold and no wind image

Nutrition wise - banana and tea for me in the morning image

• Options
    Yer-maj, Brilliant, well done.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Official time 1:59:22 - so 37 seconds in the bag, thereimage

• Options

well done yer_maj...  loads of time to spare..  you made it look easy image

James Bond..   I see the reviews of the new film are glowing praise..  really looking forward to seeing it...

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Well done yer_maj. The evil TD training plan paid off big style. Enjoy your sub 2 post run celebrations.

In other news Dublin airport is as boring as anything.
  • Options
    Wohooo Yer Maj! And two weeks ago we thought it was all over! Sub two! And with time to spare! Brilliant, well done!
  • Options
    Yer_Maj. That sub 2 is fricken awesome! Well done you!

I ran 10 miles in 1.27 today. Was slippery out there but the weather was glorious.
  • Options

Am grinning from ear to ear. I love hearing stories of people's personal triumph. Your are a good example of how much fitness it is possible to 'bank' and even wqhen you have an almost complete cessation of training, the fitness doesn't fall away as fast as the confidence can.  Great job Yer_Maj, you've made my afternoon. image

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

What Tricky said image

The one piece of advice I say to myself and others is that you can always do more than you think you can.  You're proof.  Remember when I was going to pace you (for 2:05?) and I said you could do 1:59?  I'd planned to lie to you about pace - but you had the confidence to go for it....and got it!

I did 5 miles today.  Still sore, still needed to stop and stretch my toe a couple of times, still feels more like I've ran a 12 mile tempo run rather than a 5 mile plod but seems to be going in the right direction.

• Options
    Yer Maj - congratulations, what a great time.

DLR - great progress.

Eggy - Dublin airport is awful... News just in: Belfast George Best International (I kid you not) is also dreadful.
  • Options
    Yer_maj - ace result image . So glad to hear you managed to get through it without anything giving way. It just shows you must have built up a solid aerobic base. But does this mean we all have to do horrifying TD intervals now. image ?
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Well done, yer_maj! That's great news. So, what's next?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Mainly lying on the sofa....

Thanks all - it hurt a great deal more than necessary, it's fair to say that I didn't enjoy most of it but my "I'm never running again" at 18k has translated into signing up for a coastal half on the Gower on 10th November, just for a bit of a laugh....

I truly never thought I had it in me - I still can't quite believe I had so thank you to all of you who did image I wouldn't much fancy racing again after 2.5 weeks off though- it does make a difference

Febo of this parish who is just back from 2 weeks in Croatia did 2:01:30 too.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Well done yer_maj!

I did cologne today after feeling a little tender earlier this week and I have no idea if it was the beer in my blood, the cold temperature or just being so happy to be in cologne but I knocked out a 3minute PB from last week and overall.

SO happy and grinning from ear to ear. I finished the run and then went to support a friend running their first marathon. An amazing marathon career of 3.03!

I hope everyone else who ran today had a great day!
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Yay Emmy!!

PS - DLR you dirty scoundrel....lie to me is it?  My mother warned me about men like you...

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Well, Toronto is in the bag. Full report at a later date, but am very happy with the result - 3:55.04. A shower,check out the hotel and some real food. Back to Atlanta tonight.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Emmy - well done.

Dannirr - Amazing result. You must be very pleased with that.

Good running by everyone today. image
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Emmy and Dannir well done. Yer maj, chapeau to you on a well earned target achievment.

DLR it's a slow painful road but it's progress- take it for that. And if you are going to lie to women, never own up son.

I did the parkrun Saturday in a personal worst of 21:40. After much drink the night before I had a £10 bet with a running pal that I would run and finish in the top 5. Lost the bet image.

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Dannirr wrote (see)
    Well, Toronto is in the bag. Full report at a later date, but am very happy with the result - 3:55.04. A shower,check out the hotel and some real food. Back to Atlanta tonight.
    Emmy_H wrote (see)
    I did cologne today after feeling a little tender earlier this week and I have no idea if it was the beer in my blood, the cold temperature or just being so happy to be in cologne but I knocked out a 3minute PB from last week and overall.
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    Febo of this parish who is just back from 2 weeks in Croatia did 2:01:30 too.

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  Yer_maj, Dannir, Emmy and Febo (I know you're lurking)!!!!  Am so happy for you all although especially for yer_maj (Mrs I will be happy with 2:05) that is an awesome result, especially after injury, on a hilly congested course AND with a min wait for ambulance.  I would have probably lied DLR style too  image Did that to a friend on our first marathon.  Goal was sub-5hrs and I paced it at 4:50 (just incase we crumbled in the last 10image ). image Hope you're giving yourself a huge pat on the back and grinning ear to ear.  how many mins off is that from Glasgow (that was your last half, right)?

• Options

and dannirr....isn't that a massive amount of time off your paris time too?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Danirr - fantastic image - look forward to the report.

OO I have no hope of 21:40 being a pb so that's pretty good too....

• Options

Yer_maj, Dannirr, Emmy - congratulations!! Fantastic results and PB's for you all.imageimageimage

Yer_maj - I knew you could do it, but even bigger congrats after 2 weeks of injury. So chuffed for you!image

Dannirr - Woooow.......sub 4!!!! image

Emmy - A 3 min PB in a week .........Great stuff!! image

Eggy - You back on Scottish soil?? My BF is planning our trip to Chicago already........despite the fact he ain't taking me until 2014image At the moment he has lookd into hotels, hiring motorbikes and llimiting my luggage to a rucksackimage

7 Miles tonight at mp effort which came in at 8.18mm??? All felt good but by hell it wiz very cold and very wet.......

• Options
    Thanks all.

Well done yer maj. I think after the slightly excessive carb loading I've done this week I may follow you on the banana and tea diet, for about 3 weeks!! For now though I am enjoying a glass of wine...r two...

A new 1/2 PB for me of 1:28:13 though, 8 seconds quicker than Torbay half in June so it must have helped, or maybe carrying 3 kilos of pasta and porridge in my belly hindered. Perfect conditions today, lovely run...until the last hill....
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    As you're all lovely image I've had a humongous lunch at our local, a couple of glasses of prosecco, a snooze on the sofa with the kittens and a disdainful exchange with Master Maj:

Me: The kittens are going to get their little furry balls cut off next week

Master Maj: it's not like this at Dad's you know....

Radar, it was precisely 2 mins 36 seconds off my Glasgow time and looking at the data on Strava I think it was hillier. There was certainly a comedy hill at 21k that nearly caused some barfing....
  • Options
    Pee bee's all over the place - well done folks (except for OO who's a Very Naughty Boy) image .

In answer to your earlier question DV, I have a definite pre-race fuelling routine, if I'm away from home. I don't leave anything to chance and take it all with me. Set alarm for at least an hour and a half before leaving hotel, ideally 2 hours. Drink about half a litre of orange juice, well diluted with water. Eat 1 1/2 instant porridge pots (1 isn't enough, 2 is too much), with a banana and agave syrup (I have a special little bottle to decant it in to for travelling). Washed down with a mug of coffee (has to be real - that's where individual filters are handy). Return to bed/laze around while all that digests. Vital pre-race pee before leaving hotel, then off to the start. Creature of habit? Surely not image .
  • Options
    Dannirr - what a time.

Everyone else - great running.

OO - would that 21.50 was my PB, nevermind my hungover result!
  • Options
    That is definitely a vital pre race pee after half a litre of well diluted oj! Almost had to pee into a bottle while sat in the car waiting for swindon half today but couldn't quite bring myself to do it!

Not long now....