Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

In other news all my little online purchases from last weekend have arrived.  New running shoes image They need a "mmmmm niiiice" emocion.  Got anohter sports direct giant mug too!  I'm half way to a set.  They also included a MASSIVE catalogue (bigger than an argos or next one)!!!  Dear Sport Direct, I went online, I browsed your website, I bought.  I do not need a massive waste of resources (paper, printing, transport etc) to buy things from you!!!!!  Yours "very tired from lugging the catalogue directly to the recycling".

• Options

Dannirr...   I got my VCR pass in the mail today..   image

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

DV: excellent. I dont have mine yet.  Do you need any extra?  I think I still will be getting a few extra (I have 2 cars entered - I have loaned one to a friend to drive - might be embaraassing if he beats us both! - but I "wisely" lent him the 4.5 horsepower car unlike my "massive" 8 hp!)

Toronto update: weather still looks like thunderstorms for the first 3 hours or so, My new plan is too find bigger and taller people with which to surround myself. image

• Options

DV:  alas but 1 november isn't possible for me, Mr PF is away on business then and I keeping the home fires burning and keeping Miss PF out of trouble - although that may well be Miss PF keeping me out of trouble.

Thanks al the birthday wishes, had a lovely day until about 4pm when began to feel unwell, by 7.30 was really sick and in bed - have just got up from my pit, and feeling a little better if fragile - so much for the R2R this morning.  Mr PF thinks it was a reaction to my tapas lunch yesterday,  but hey ho had a lovely day was thoroughly spoilt (thats why I'm a Princess)image.

Oh list fairy, I've entered the Durrell Dash 13K on 21st October - just for a laugh, 2 laps of Durrell Zoo amongst the Meare Cats!!!!

Good luck to all racing tomorrow, Dani enjoy Toronto spent a month there when I was 18 - absolutely loved it!!!!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.

Last day in New York for me today. image
  • Options
    Had a wee scare on Wednesday - twisted my back playing volleyball and had to hobble off court. (I know, I know. Stupid thing to be doing so close to the 'Dam.)

Taken loads of ibuprofen and it is starting to ease off thankfully. Managed a gentle 5 miles today so feeling a bit more positive about next weekend.

Good luck to all the racers tomorrow. Give it your all.
  • Options

Dannirr..  yes please...  I'd like 3 more...  if you can let me have them, then that's great...  if not, I'll ask the VCR people...

Enjoy Toronto...   we played the Danforth Music Hall many times there...  image

PF...  wrap up warm..

• Options

And hello from me to the Paris forum...

It looks an awful lot like the Amsterdam forum if you ask me.

Noticed the paris website's just revealed the prices. 65 euros for the first 8,000, 80 euros for the next 12,000 with a slow internet connection, 95 euros for 20,000 humm-ers and haa-ers and 110 euros for 6,000 disorganised runners.

• Options
    That'll be 110 euros for me then.
  • Options

Weedy - Yup, there's a few paris forumites running amsterdam.  We like to spread it around.image  That's the standard for paris entries, graduated prices.  If you enter on the day it opens you usually get in the lowest category....but this year it's opening after london rejections so all bets are off.

• Options
    Or maybe 95? Humm, haa?
  • Options

Was in the humm-ers and ha-ers bracket last year. Aiming for the 65 euros bracket this time.

• Options

On the subject of drugs testing, in relation to the Lance Armstrong conversation..

I was listening to a podcast yesterday and a UK ultra athlete Ellie Goldsborough was interviewed.  Ultra races are not currently routinely subject to drugs testing but it is something that some events choose to do voluntarily and in one particular race Ellie won it and was subject to a drugs test immediately after the race.  She is clean but it was interesting to listen to her experiences.  She described the procedure for urine and blood testing and then said that she now is on a 'random drugs test register' whereby she has to provide UK Athletics with a three month diary every month (thus always looking three months ahead) and at any time they can turn up with no prior annoucement and demand she has another drugs test.  This will be the rest of her athletic career.  The same applies to any athlete on the register.  There are punishments for failure to attend or for failure of the tests.

It is a very onerous procedure and arguably invasive of her privacy.

Lance has been accused of using EPO.  I have no idea what that is, but apparently UK athletes are not tested for EPO...!!  

All very interesting...

• Options
    Hi all,

I just spent an afternoon with TD. I have sore nipples now.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Neil Belgium wrote (see)
    Hi all,

I'd say you got off lightly...

• Options

Jimbob..  sorry to hear that..  see how you feel on the day...  it might be a welcome distraction for you... if not, no worries...

Neil..  you defiunitely got off lightly..  the last guy ended up in hospital...  I took him a present and  when I told him that we had a whip round he turned white and looked terrified...   not sure what was going on there...  

• Options

Neil - Have you managed to convince TD to come to amsterdam for the day and keep DLR company on support?

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    DV: EPO is erythropoetin. We all make EPO, which in turn stimulated red bloid cell production, and therefore oxygen carrying capacity. Two things determine oxygen delivery to our muscles: cardiac output (which improves from our training as its just a muscle) and how much oxygen is in our blood (which is largly but not completely determined by how many red cells we have)

Its kinda like coal delivery to a station: you get more coal if the train calls at the station more often, and/or if its able to transport more coal.
  • Options
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

Neil - Have you managed to convince TD to come to amsterdam for the day and keep DLR company on support?

That would be very good if he did!

Though judging by Neil's comments he needs to cut his fingernails.

65 - 110 euros is quite a steep increase.

Hopefully its a midnight Wednesday job as I'll need to leave home at 7am.

• Options

B*gger.  It's 11am.  May have to try and do it from the phone on Wednesday.

• Options
    I assume, though it doesn't actually say so, that's 11am French time?

Tapering today - hour on the bike (image), go-faster haircut, serious consideration of toenail polish colour.
  • Options

I'd guess so - even though its in English I suppose it has to cater for the colonials too. image

• Options

Good  Luck to all tomorrow!! You can do it Yer_maj!!image

Not much going on here today. Another bike lesson in torrential rain and gales......think it starts everytime I take my helmet oot!!!image Managed to stay upright again today so all good!! image

Still bloody raining and blowing a hoolie here so fire on, and tucked up for the night......I'll  run tomorrow!!

• Options
    Good luck tomorrow Yer Maj, Danni and anyone else I've forgotten. A week to go to the 'dam and I ran a 2.39 mara today. Ok, part ofimage
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Thanks all - and good luck to all you racers!

I dropped my phone on my toes while I was brushing my teeth last night, to add to my general sense of woeimage

Had a bunch of running friends round last night for some food...in amongst the discussions about shaving legs, fake tan, what-will-I-wear...(really?  Makeup for a race??  I barely wore any to get married....) there was plenty of "I think I'm coming down with something" "I've got a hurty knee/foot/ear/right eyeball"....looks like I am the only healthy one in Cardiff this morning image

• Options
    That'll teach you to use your phone to brush your teethimage
  • Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)
    DV: EPO is erythropoetin. We all make EPO, which in turn stimulated red bloid cell production, and therefore oxygen carrying capacity. Two things determine oxygen delivery to our muscles: cardiac output (which improves from our training as its just a muscle) and how much oxygen is in our blood (which is largly but not completely determined by how many red cells we have)

Its kinda like coal delivery to a station: you get more coal if the train calls at the station more often, and/or if its able to transport more coal.

Dannirr - what an excelllent description of how EPO works.

DV - the issues with EPO usage in the TdF and competitive cycling were that there wasn't a relaible test until the early 2000s, when both urine and blood testing were launched. These days a blood test is most accurate. Therefore, LA and his cohorts simply thought they would always be able to avoid detection - because even when the tests were available, if they knew when tests were likely to occur (in competition), their 'doctors' simply advised them when they needed to stop using it so it wouldn't show up in the tests.

For years cycling used an estimate of blood 'thickness' called haematocrit to judge whether someone was doping with EPO. Normally our haematocrit is between 35-45%, unless we're dehydrated or polycythaemic for some reason when it may be higher - and the cycling cut-off was 50%. If a cyclist was found to be over the limit, they were suspended for a period initially 2 weeks from competition. Then they were retested or simply started back after their suspension was served. You couldn't make this up - the practices are simply unbelievable.

Thankfully sice real testing has become available, in combination with the athlete's biological passport, I suspect EPO use has stopped (or at least diminshed hugely). The power outages of Brad and Chris in this year's TdF may confirm this (but 2 previous drug cheats winning the Tour of Spain through the most incredible hills just after may show this is not the case...)

The main issue, as you say, is that not every sport tests appropriately for EPO - cycling is the most high profile one that's been caught. There is some rumbling that first-class football is the next sport to be exposed - and frankly, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of lads, if that is the case.

Iain

• Options

Wow - look out, the fast guys are back in town - Seanb and Stray Runner signing up for Paris Mara. But the bad news is guys, OO has kept on going faster - sub 3 this year!

kaz1 wrote (see)

TD - auto lap or manual lap. and what do you do if you miss a marker on manual lap???

5 days to what???

Erm, not sure of the context Kaz but I usually leave my watch on Autolap. If you are running manual laps and miss one, the only thing it affects is the average pace per lap. As soon as you press the lap button, the avg pace per lap will reset and start averaging again. It's no biggie if you miss a counter or press a lap button somewhere else.

Neil Belgium wrote (see)
    Hi all,

LOL image We ran an Ekiden marathon with my work team yesterday, absolutely belting down with rain. There were 1600 teams present, centre of activities being the Heysel Stadium in Brussels and the hilly bits of ground around near the Atomium. We were delighted to finish our marathon in 2:39:40 - I did the final leg and my avg HR was 94% and peak was 96% - so I was running pretty much flat out.

What was very weird was having to run past runners who were several laps behind so were much slower. Really difficult to weave in and out of them as there was a fair amount of wobbling about. Also, they were running on the nearest thing to a dry line, which meant I was having to charge through channels of flowing water. A really fun experience overall but I think I preferred the sunshine we had last year. Good luck to everyone racing today - be heroic image

• Options

Running Rodent wrote (see)

I assume, though it doesn't actually say so, that's 11am French time?

That's a pretty good assumption based on the general regard for english considerations (aka the brilliant english translations).  So 10am on the 17th, remember yer_maj is first.  Everyone please form an orderly english queue behind her.

• Options

Best of luck to all thos running today...

Nutrition/hydration...   what do you do, pre-race, race and post-race..?

Kaz...  midnight marathon...   its a nice romantic idea, and in the right environment running at night can indeed be beautiful and fun.  However, let me give some words of caution.  I have done several overnight runs...  they are not as much fun as they sound.  They can be dangerous, lack of visibility is obviously an issue, navigation, low temperature, high dew levels etc...   in a dark sky environment being out at night is fabulous, but it still needs caution and careful planning...