Options

IMUK 2013 Bonkers!

Comments

• Options

wow we are busy on here this morning!

Chris Im coming up Friday morning from London so if we keep in touch as it would be good to check out the bike course with you. So much to do on that day!

We need to find a way on here to maybe exchange mob numbers without some weirdo getting them and wanting to join us, you never know who reads these forums.image

• Options

Bones no problem, the drive will take a couple of hours, want to give as much info as possible, so could do it on Friday early evening, any other takers mail me at  aldredchris at gmail dot com

Cheers

Chris

• Options
    We have been busy little bees this weekend. Keep up the good work everyone.

I developed a head cold and chesty cough last week I was worried that it might curtail my training. Anyway apart from a slightly raised heart rate I cracked on and completed the sessions.

Sat - 2.7 mile swim followed by 93 mile bike.......involving another two loops.

Sun - 17 mile run.

So a good weekend.

Bones - you are right to watch out for the nutters, some forumites think that blokes are women. Only kidding Joddly.
  • Options

Had a good ride out this weekend too, took in 2 laps and felt good all the way. 

Picked up a fellow first timer on the loop doing a recce and kept getting lost, so we joined forces and discussed preparations for the last hour. Still got 95 miles done in 5:30.

I think that the getting out in the sun is the way forward, not done it myself yet, but will probably get a long run in on Tuesday afternoon rather than sitting in a hotel room.

Sorry to hear about the mrs TT, hope she finds something soon.

Cheers for the profile Woody, looks like i'll have to start going over the hill instead of around them on my long runs for the next 2 weeks image.

How are we all feeling then? I'm finally mentally ready after my long ride this weekend. Final few long sessions and then consolidation of swimming form and medium/short brick sessions (1-2hrs total) over the last two weeks ready for the big day. 506 by the way.

I'll have to try and remember everyones numbers for encouragement on the loops (memory like a sieve thoimage).

Off for a swim now, can't wait!!

• Options

Thanks for all the nice messages on my wife, very kind.

WOW its hot at the mo, sprints and sea swim tonight.  Really enjoying sea swimming just annoying that now the seas warming up there seem to be jelly fish everywhere!

Cant seem to shake my underlying concern on the bike, just worried on my mph average probably going to be about 14mph and although i have tried to settle with my nutrition, i still seem to get the guts wobbling at 5/6 hrs.

Still i guess at this point what will be will be so i'm still ploughing on.

Signed up for a 3 race sea swim series, with the first on the 27th July, 1500m so should give me the experience of swimming with a a good number of people.  Quite looking forward to it!

image  Rest day yesterday

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Morning all.

TT - hope all works out with the wife's job. You really need to stop worrying about the bike - you're a similar speed to me, on similar training routes, and I promise you that you will amaze yourself with your speed on race day, and you won't feel you're working hard.

Chris - thanks for the offer of a guided tour. Not sure when I'll be up yet, but I may be in touch nearer the time.

SK4 - "nutters", eh? image 

Generally speaking, I'm feeling fairly calm about the whole thing, though would like to have a bit more confidence that I can get through the swim without losing too much time flapping around and breastroking. There seems to be no way to predict that. 

Happy training, all.

• Options

Listen, let just get a big rope and tie ourselves together so as we drag each other round come what may!

Was meant to be doing a spin class this morning, but the traffic into London was terrible and was late so am heading out of town tonight to do some hills.

I have pulled something in my chest when I swam about a week ago, still hurts. I swam with it on Saturday and wasnt too much of a problem, but it has made it worse. I may now just do a long swim once a week before the big day to tick me over.

Im treating this little thingy on August 4th as a big training day (until my nerves explode on the morning!!). We have all trained so long and hard we need to enjoy it (ha ha) up until the last.

• Options

Hi Guys, I've had race instructions but it doesn't make it clear whether roads on the bike route are closed or not.  Anyone know?

Had a couple of weeks off the bike and running with a dodgy knee, just hoping the 6 months training I have in the bank will be enough.  Not long now!   

• Options

Some of the roads are fully closed, some are partially closed and you get coned off sections on the corners etc on others

I'd be more worried about the state of the orads, they are truly awful in places

Chris

• Options

Thanks Jo, appreciate your comments...you have been a very calming influence to me on here so thanks for that.

Now that rope sounds a good idea Bones!

• Options

how are we all doing, the sun is still shining!. Are we all still focused and going in the right direction?

Heading out into the Kent Hills last night with a mate on our bikes for some hill repeats, it was a perfect summers evening.

Endured the train this morning to work as running home tonight, which will clock up another couple of hours running.

• Options

Got my last century ride in yesterday, 108 miles in the sun with little wind - we never get weather like that in Wigan - long may it continue!

• Options

Well done sue, a sunshine century!....great going!

i've said it before and I'll say it again.....brick Wednesdays always seem to pump me up for the week......love em!

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Once again, sounds like some good training's been going on.Sue, you made that century ride sound like fun!

Rest day for me today, which is convenient as I've picked up a cold and am feeling slightly grotty. Hoping that I'll shake it off quickly to still get in a decent long bike/run this week.

Who else will be racing in Pirate colours? It's worth it for the extra crowd support, even if sometimes you want to tell them all to p1ss off and leave you alone!

Happy training all image!

• Options

Hoping forhey jo, hope you shake that quick.

Dont really understand the whole pirate thing??

I will however be racing in Parkinsons UK colours as myself and fellow club member are racing to raise money for the local Parkinsons group.  My dad has prkinsons and prostate cancer, his local PUK group really support him and lots of others.

Hoping for a nice 8 mile run tonight, weather taken a bit of a turn, anyone seen a long range forecast?

• Options

I shall be racing in my club colours (Greenwich Tritons)

Ran into work this morning, only because I was too tired to run home last night!!, so another 13 miles knocked off.

ALso just found out they need me to work on Sundayimage. I agreed on one condition that I could do my lonnnnnnnggggggg run before hand, which is not a problem, tough if it was as I was doing it anywayimage. Another century ride planned for Saturday with a longer run off. The pulled musklc ein my chest is still bugging me so not sure about the swim yet, may just keep resting it for a few more days and push on with the bike,run.

Have any of your read the reports from Outloaw where as one poor chap only put on one sock in T2 and was in agony with most of the run!!!!!!!

Still sunny in London, a bit cooler, but the forcast is 30 degrees on Saturday again!

• Options

Yeah, I've read bits of various outlaw threads....and kinda wish I hadn't!  Some great reports and stories and my hat really goes off to all of them in that heat.   But reading the stories really gets the nerves kicking in just that touch more than they are already ( and they are already pretty high!image)

hope your Chest sorts ok bones. 

good solid 8 mile coast run tonight.image

• Options

Just thought that I didn't quite express that anywhere near enough on all those that did the outlaw.....my hat goes off to them and.......I mentally find it unimaginable to attempt the outlaw ironman triathlon in that heat never getting still getting my head around putting all these distances/disciplines together in one day.....I am in awe!!!

congratulations to everyone that partook and completed or not, amazing People each and every one!

• Options

Here here!

did a half on hottest weekend of the year last year and it nearly broke me. Can only imagine the agony of a full in 30+degs.

thiok I'm mentally prepared now. Done a few good swims and bike recently and getting stronger, bit worried about the run, but who isn't on the first time.

i know I shouldn't, but have secretly been working out how quick I could go in an ideal worl. If cramp and fatigue didn't exist!! (Secretly)

running in Alzheimer's society vest, staying as aero as poss on bike, need as much free speed as I can get. did anyone see boardmans bit on tdf highlights last week? 9 mins over 180km with good aerodynamics!! I'll take some of that, thanks.

• Options
    Just getting ready for a 3 hr run before things hot up. Only 2 more big weekends and then taper time, I'm only doing a 2 week taper.

Have a good weekend.
  • Options

Yes, I've been reading a number of reports on the Outlaw and I applaud everyone how took part in the event given the weather conditions - it sounds unbelievable.

I've had a good week so far, with a 3K swim completed last night and I've got a century ride today (in this nice warm weather!!).  Weekend includes an OW Swim followed be a run on Saturday and a bike session on Sunday.

SL - I've been having the same thinking of what time I could achieve, but trying to banish these thoughts from the head as I'll only get myself disappointed if I don't achieve. 

I hope everyone's trainings going well and I hope the injury sorts itself out soon Bones

Have a good weekend training everyone

• Options

joddly, the century ride was slow and steady but so much easier in the sun.  I'll be riding in pirate colours assumming I can wash them from the week before. 

I'm doing the Zurich Ironman on the 28th July followed by this one the following Sunday.  I know it's daft image but I promised a friend last year we would go to Zurich then crashed out in the IMUK on the bike, finished in the back of an ambulance and apparently promised my family I would do it again this year!! 

I think the moral of the story is not to make promises image

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Sue, the thread title sums you up nicely!

• Options

I know - although I think we're all bonkers to do this in the first place, but I wouldn't sway my "bonkerness"  for anything.

• Options

I think the word 'BONKERS' may make it in big black letters on my cycle and run tops!

we all are, arent we!!!

• Options

If anyone interested and has a spare 5mins I've been keeping a bit of a photo album of the past 9 months training......

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151577528899800.1073741826.709799799&type=1&l=3faf996cfd

Hope everyone has a good weekend, lots of miles, paddling pool Andy b b q on the cards me thinks!

• Options

Completed Manchester Blackpool today, well, Bolton - Manchester - Blackpool then 20km into my ride home my rear tube exploded and in changing it I lost the nut from my quick release.. so a call was made and a lift begged, still 90 more miles is 4 hours 50 minutes.. hard week next week then start the taper....

• Options

Well done chris, I was a 65 mile 5 hr, with quite a few hills ans some amazing views along the south coast.  

beatiful morning, getting worried about this heat (well getting worried about everything at the moment, but heat is today's worry!)

• Options

Sounds like you where going great up to the mechanical Chris.

TT nothing better than a scenic ride to brake the monotony of miles in the saddle.

80 mile cycle inc two loops and despite struggling up Sheephouse lane for the 3rd time, I had a confidence boosting run of 16.77 mile (3 IM run loops) in 2:29

• Options

Sue, I have just reread your post and that is amazing that your doing IMUK as a warm down from Zurichimage. My full respect to you

This weekedn for me was

Bike 105.14 miles climbing 7559ft in 6hr 33min, avg speed 16mph dead.

Straight into a 6 mile run off, then once again straight into the paddling pool!!

Sunday I just ran the 14 miles to work then suffered for the rest of the day.

May try a swim in the morning, chest still nhurting, but I can do all the swimming actions with no pain, just need to know if I can or If I cant.

If I can, im still taking it easy on the swim, if I cant I shall just rest until the day and do it come what may.

The heat down hear like in most places is pretty intense, but we all complained when it was cold. We shall now be fully prepared for whatever the weather. Just up the fluids try to train when the heat is on so as we are used to it.

Maybe they will even have one of those water slides at the finish so as we can slide alone the last 50m!, great funimage