Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

I guess that's good if you feel you can cope with anything the road may throw at you Vixx image

Bearsted, you're very organised with your crops.  Hope they succeed image

• Options

Well done RLTW- perhaps you should put your mojo on a chain round your neck so you don't keep losing itimage.  I've never been very impressed with the Town and Gown medal- last year's medal only gave the race name and year on the ribbon and the medal itself just said Muscular Dystrophy campaign.  Pretty poor for such an expensive race.

We did the Marlow 5 this morning- £10 to enter and a lovely lump of brass on a quality ribbon to go round your neck.  Its really flat too and I got a 27sec PB to finish in 31:30 so i'm extra pleased.  I'll try to add a pic of the medal later.

I checked my splits from the Bristol parkrun yesterday- I did the last km in 3:17 image.  It was all downhill but I don't think my legs have ever moved so fast.

• Options

OS - great running in both runs. Wish my legs wouldmtake me at 3:17 pace for a KM that is impressive. My daughter lives in Bristol - jus about to move to Clifton - might try that park run when I am down seeing her one weekend as not that far over bridge to get to it. I don't think she will like the first half but she will live the second half.

• Options

BP- as usual, the parkrunners there were a friendly bunch and made the Abingdon flash mob very welcome.  Although the first 2.5km are hard, the thought of 2.5km downhill keep you going!

• Options
    Old Shadowfax wrote (see)

Well done RLTW- perhaps you should put your mojo on a chain round your neck so you don't keep losing itimage.  I've never been very impressed with the Town and Gown medal- last year's medal only gave the race name and year on the ribbon and the medal itself just said Muscular Dystrophy campaign.  Pretty poor for such an expensive race.

I've just dug ut last year's T&G medal and it was cr*p. Tacky cheap staybrite.  Thius year's is at least a decent bit of brassy looking stuff.  It says Town & Gown on it and it does say Oxford & Cambriddge  at the bottom (hadn't spotted that before)  With 4,000 runners you would think it would be worthwhile sticking the actual location and year on it.  The ribbon just says Wiley, who are sponsors.  So if I go and run the same one in Cambridge, I suppose I would get exactly the same medal.

• Options

can i ask a question - what does the little pirate symbol mean on here next to peoples name?

• Options

It means they belong to the Pirate Ship of Fools - they are a Triathlon group image

• Options

Its taken an old man like me some time but eventually got a picture on my profile.

• Options

Wahey! Nice one Bearsted - now if someone can help me get rid of mine I would be grateful! image

• Options

Nice pic, BP!

RLTW - promise me you'll train for the VLM if u get another number for it? Otherwise it'll be a very long walk.

The Marathon of the North is now classes as a Short Marathon on the Power of Ten image  Very disappointed.

• Options

RLTW- we got a medal and a technical T shirt plus a bag of goodies today image.

• Options

Here's the medals from the twice I have run the Marlow 5. If they gave them out beforehand, they'd seriously slow you down!

/members/images/433328/Gallery/Img_0285.jpg

• Options
    Shielsy wrote (see)

Nice pic, BP!

RLTW - promise me you'll train for the VLM if u get another number for it? Otherwise it'll be a very long walk.

The Marathon of the North is now classes as a Short Marathon on the Power of Ten image  Very disappointed.

I will train for it image.   I wish they would tell us earlier though. Can't see why they needsuch a long time before they announce ballot results - unless they're 'fixing' the results of course.  That's so frustrating about your 'almost' marathon. I'd be pretty peed off if it happened to me, specially as I haven't done one yet.

Those are great medals Old Shadowfax.

• Options

I think I may be slightly insane!! I haven't completed my first half marathon yet and I've just signed up for my second one!!! It is a year away tho!! image

• Options

Which one Hales?

• Options

Insanity is an advantage being a runner Hales. On Thursday I ran 6 miles in the wind and rain with the pain (not much, but there) in my IT band and really enjoyed it. You can't tell me that's sane. image

Nice medals OS. I always think it's important to have some sort of date on them as it is always good to be able to look back at past achievements.

Hi RLTW, good to see you back.

Sheilsy - that is so gutting, no wonder you don't want to do it again.

Bearsted, nice pic, good to 'see' you.

CC2 - hope the taper madness is not too bad. Which race is this for?

• Options

Afternoon all - how is everyone?

I did 7 miles yesterday, the longest I've done since the marathon and got absolutely soaked to the skin and frozen image

RLTW - good to see you back. That doesn't sound great about the medal. You do always feel that a bit of quality is warranted.

Vixx - this weekend image

• Options

Hales - at least with a years notice you have plenty of time to regroup and focus image It's only insanity when you enter a marathon 3 days before it. image

• Options

At least I had entered both of mine months in advance Fiona image

(It's the one this weekend I entered 10 days ago.....)

Hi lfc image

How is everyone today?

• Options

Vixx - I wouldn't say Windermere was months in advance but certainly more than 3 days.

• Options

I meant London and Manchester image

• Options

I know but now you taking leaf out of Fiona's book on entering marathons Ha Ha

• Options

I am considering my Autumn races too. I was looking at Northumberland Coastal Mara but it's full image (and in August so not an Autumn race!)

So far I am considering Loch Ness, Chester and Amsterdam. Any others I should look at?

• Options

Vixx - Definitely Chester and Amsterdam are good. If you want a nice small marathon in Holland try looking at the Brabant Marathon - just over Belgium Border - is near our office in Holland and is supposed to be a great small race on totally flat terrain and is Autumn.

http://www.marathonbrabant.nl/index.php?id=11

• Options

Thanks Bear. Hopefully my new working plans will bring in enough money to pay for these trips image

• Options

Vixx - have you considered Lochaber?  I think that runs in October, so is in Autumn, but not sure if entries are open yet.

I did some gardening on Saturday (digging up my horrible front lawn so that I can lay nice new turf) and I feel like I've been beaten up today ... almost as sore as when I finished my (nearly) marathon.

Speaking of which, apparently a runner is being interviewed on one of the local news channels early evening about the MOTN - hopefully saying how shabby the organization was.

• Options

I'm sure that's your plan and 100 will be here in the next 10 years

• Options

Hopefully Bear image

Shielsy - why don't you go on and tell them - I'm sure you'd be persuasive in your argument.  To be fair, it has put me off doing Kielder as I haven't heard much positive about that one image

• Options

I've signed up to next years Chester Half!!