Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Hi folks.  Well Great South run was uncommonly dry this year.  Rather chilly at the start but was ok once we got amongst the houses.  Didn't feel particularly strong and the second half I did far too much walkie bits image . Some great bands along the way. Not sure about the choice of "Pack all your troubles in your old kit bag" but it did make me laugh!   Last 2 miles along the sea front are always challenging.  A bit of a wind but not so bad as it dry.  Boost zone was great. I was pleasantly surprised to finish in 1:44:22 which is almost a minute under my previous PB set 2 years ago image.  Felt I should have managed to keep going better than that really as it's a pretty much flat course, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.  Still pleased with the PB.  I just need to work on my 10K time and I could get the full set image

• Options

Fiona - really well done on that marathon. Sounds quite evil. specially with the multiple laps - that would drive me insane, and so soul destroying. 

Liz - hope you did good at GSR

• Options

and Shielsy - yours sounds extremely challenging too.  Well done on getting through it. Can't say I fancy proper cross country at any time of the year but just now with all that yucky mud and the cold - yuk!

• Options

Fiona, RLTW, Shielsy - well done all of you on your achievements this weekend!  Excellent running all round.

After an icy parkrun on Saturday, on Sunday I did a very muddy and wet 4.5 miles in Cockermouth, Cumbria with my brother.  We didn't break any records but I enjoyed running with him and his Lakeland Terrier, Dil, who surprised me by running alongside him all the way,as she is normally totally dippy!

• Options
    Congrats on the pb RLTW,would love to do the GSR one year,it would be nice to visit Portsmouth and look up some old haunts.
  • Options

Spongecake - Thanks.   I have to say that the area does nothing for me.  Apart from Victory, Mary Rose and the Spinacre tower - the rest is pretty naff.  Needs a lot of work.  You'd think that with 30,000 runners plus their supporters coming to the area that they would spruce things up to encourage people to visit - Southsea is really run down, Portsmouth town centre is ok, nothing special. I hope your old haunts are still intact.

Thanks Pengwyn.  Great that you got to run with your bro &co in the mud. 

• Options
    RLTW,Come to think of it,it was run down 20 years ago.Had some good times down there and still have a few friends who live in the area.
  • Options
    Plus most of the time we went ashore we were slightly intoxicatedimage
  • Options

I guess the company could be what make the place Spongecake image

• Options

well done for those that did the GSR.

Spurred on by others running longer or in muddier, fouler conditions I went out for a chilly 7.4miles last night in just under 9 minute mile pace, II am gearing up for a quicker 10K at the Town Moor Memorial on the 11th November I hope.

• Options
    RunLikeTheWind wrote (see)

Felt I should have managed to keep going better than that really as it's a pretty much flat course, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.  Still pleased with the PB. 

Have just reviewd my stats and realised that this was a much more consistently run race than I have done of late (previously going too fast for the first half and burning out for the second)  Apart from mile 4 which was11:04 every mile was sub 11 min miling and my final mile was 10:15, and that includes all the walkie bits so I must have been running faster when I wasn't walking.  Not so bad then image

• Options

Afternoon all

RLTW - well done on a consistent run and a new PB

Liz - how did you get on?

Snoopy - it is always tough getting out the door on the chilly nights

Well my legs are still aching, but only moderately badly image  I see from the results that I was 59th out of 94 and managed a respectable third in my age category which I am very chuffed about. It was obviously pretty tough as the winner finished in 2:54 something, which seems quite slow for a marathon - it makes me feel much better.  Now I just have to see how much better things get over the winter.

• Options

Well done on the chilly 7.4 miles the other night, Snoopy.  I really need to get my finger out and enter the Town Moor Memorial run this year as I haven't done it for a couple of years.

RLTW - it's encouraging to read that you ran the GSR at a more consistent pace, well done.

Fiona - glad to hear you're not suffering too badly with your legs, and congrats with the third in age.

Club session for me tonight - running a loop of streets next to our stadium.  The loop itself is 0.6 miles and the session was 1 loop, 60 seconds rest, 2 loops, 90 seconds rest, then 3 loops.  Exhausting, but fun.  Mostly exhausting though.  The first run of the year ran properly in the dark.

• Options

Good afternoon everypeople,

well, that's the end of another running year for me.
    (For sentimental, nostalgic reasons, I start my running year on Nov 1st; It's a much happier 'New Year' than the academic one in Sept, or financial one in April. Actually, it's probably even better in some ways than the new calendar year, which always seems to have a little element of anti-climax about it.)

And what a year !
    A shared run of just short of 5 miles this morning brought the curtain down on 12 months that have seen long standing PBs at 10k and half marathons smashed more than once, as well as continued progress at 5k on the moor. I also collected my t-shirt for my 50th parkrun and enjoyed a number of stints volunteering too.

I've done exactly 150 runs since 1st Nov, 2011 and run more miles than in any other year by a considerable margin. Ten races too, which is another 'PB' for the most events I've run in a year. I have no idea how I'm going to top this next year, but I think I will enjoy trying.

A huge thanks to the wonderful, flying penguin whose support is always welcome appreciated and valued. And congratulations too, for more runs (exactly 100) and more miles this year than in any of the previous ten in which we've shared this adventure. As Spencer Davies said; 'Keep on running!' x

• Options

XL - What an amazing year for you imageimage   Here's to an even more amazing one next year (Does that start tomorrow then? )

• Options

Thanks, RLTW

and yes, 'new' year starts tomorrow, with a rest day image
    Parkrun on Saturday will probably be my first outing of 2012/13 season

• Options

Well done on that 7+ miler, Snoopy. Good luck in the memorial run. You too, Shielsy, assuming you do get your finger out. I did think about entering, but I think I am more drawn to the idea of four months without a race. I think the Kirkley Hall half marathon in March will probably be my next event.

Congratulations on your result, Fiona. Very impressive. I hope the legs are back to normal soon.

• Options

XL - the legs are feeling pretty much back to normal today, but I think I'll wait till the weekend to try them out.  It has certainly been a great year for you. Hopefully the next one will be just as good. I like when a new plan starts with a rest day. image

PS I also agree that the start of the New Year is completely an anti-climax. I usually offer to drive to avoid the taxi problem - I am a complete party pooper am I not?

Shiesly - that sounds like a tough little session at the club. 0.6 miles sounds like nothing until you have to run it fast again and again. image

• Options

Exellent running RLTW and Fiona - its great when you start to break races down like that it shows how even better you ran - gives you an even warmer glow doesn't it? 

XL - what can I say?......what a truly brilliant year!! well done you! Do you not fancy Haweswater Half in March?? I can't recommend it highly enough and as long as my shifts agree, I'm sure me and Steve will be back next year too.

Well I'm hoping for a nice quiet evening with no treat or treaters. Bobbi is still not allowed to make any sudden movements and if the door keeps going then its going to be a stressful night. Even tho there are no kids in my cul-de-sac, they seem to appear from no-where on Halloween - fingers crossed the rain keeps coming down!! 

• Options

XL - Cheers and well done on so many PB's I know you had cracked a couple but to do so many of your goals and do them more than once is a great achievement.

Fiona- You are not kidding especially when it is getting dark so early. I find not looking at the TV schedule in advance setting out my kit for when I come home so I can get changed and go out straight away oh and ensuring the heating isn't on when i get back in from work adds incentive to not stay in.

Shielsy - You may need to get that finger out sharpish ( I assume form a woolly glove with the recent temperatures as unless I read it wrong there were only about 35 places left and closing date is 4th? November. Although if you do sign up I am sure that you will just add to the people pushing me down the finishing list. image

Off now to give the dogs their run.

• Options

Evening everyone!

Thanks XL for keeping me running again this year - I am proud that it is my best year ever too (in terms of number of runs and also mileage) and that I am thinking possibly in terms of another half marathon (thought I had given those up!).  I need to keep running anyway, as I bought a load of mini packs of maltesers for small, scary children this evening... and have only seen two!  That is a lot of potential calories to burn off!

• Options
    snoopy71 wrote (see)

Shielsy - You may need to get that finger out sharpish ( I assume form a woolly glove with the recent temperatures as unless I read it wrong there were only about 35 places left and closing date is 4th? November. Although if you do sign up I am sure that you will just add to the people pushing me down the finishing list. image

Advice taken, Snoopy - I've just entered now, so I'll see you there.  This will be my first 'proper' 10k for a good while (I tend to do Blaydon, Pier to Pier and Newburn River Run, none of which are officially 10k distance, they're either a bit longer or shorter).  I'll see you there image.

Good advice about making sure the heating's not on when coming home from work and just putting your kit straight on ... that's what I always try to do ... sitting down and watching the TV even for just a minute is lethal.

XL - congrats on the brilliant year of running you've had!

Mandie - I hope Bobbi wasn't disturbed too much from Trick or Treaters.  I think we've had the last of ours now - I've still got a tonne of Haribo left over, but that's no hardship.  I'm blinking freezing now though, from opening the door every 10 minutes.

• Options

Oh, and totally non-running question:  I'm thinking of joining the 21st century at last and getting a smartphone for Christmas, so if anyone has any suggestions, that'd be great.

I don't want anything too fancy (well, no, I'd LOVE an iphone4, but I can't afford anything with too many bells and whistles) so if anyone can think of a good budget(ish) phone that works decently.  Plus, should I go PAYG or contract?

• Options
    Shielsey - ive just upgraded to a smartphone, got a nokia lumia 610, great phone, easy to use and lots of cool features. Got it through virgin for 7.50 a month for first 6 months and then 15 a month after that.

Im also doing town moor 10k but sadly wont be finishing off my year with a pb, im currently resting my knee and havent run for 2 weeks, town moor will be a tester for me to check all is ok but im not complaining as like XL ive had a hell of a year !!
  • Options
    Hi All,

Ive got a Sony Xperia pro on a contract with tmobile for ??16 a month,its a very handy phone.I've also heard good reports about the Samsung galaxy S .Most smart phones have good cameras and are great in social media sites.

Bit hacked off this morning,last few days my knee has been playing up,had physio this morning and I've got to ice and give rest,havent had a decent run for months which is frustrating and does nothing for my waistline.
  • Options
    RunLikeTheWind wrote (see)

Spongecake - Thanks.   I have to say that the area does nothing for me.  Apart from Victory, Mary Rose and the Spinacre tower - the rest is pretty naff.  Needs a lot of work.  You'd think that with 30,000 runners plus their supporters coming to the area that they would spruce things up to encourage people to visit - Southsea is really run down, Portsmouth town centre is ok, nothing special. I hope your old haunts are still intact.

They've announced today that they are closing South Parade Pier cos it's at risk of collapsing- yeek!  They didn't tell us that on Sunday!   It's a total rustbucket!

• Options

Afternoon all

has it been a year since your op yet, mr sj ? You have had a fantastic comeback. Nothing at all to complain about when you think back to how bleak it was not so very long ago. Here's to another cracking year for both of us in the next 12 months. And everyone else too, of course. I really would wish the fun and sense of achievement I've enjoyed over the last year on everyone.

My phone definitely comes under the 'nothing too fancy' title, Shielsy. It is a Nokia and I'm on pay as you go. I paid a tenner for it, and it makes phone calls and sends texts. Absolutely marvellous invention, God knows how I ever managed without it for so long. It doesn't take pictures, but I have this other amazing gadget for doing that so I'm not too worried. It has a touch screen, or at least a screen I can touch, but nothing happens when I do, other than an image of my fingerprint appears as if by magic. I hope this has been helpful, happy hunting image On a serious advisory note, I can recommend Clive Cookson if you're looking for a 'proper' 10k 
    I do like the Newburn River Run, though I've only done it once, in 2007 - maybe it's time I looked at having another go at that. I was out that way today, takning more pictures of this glorious autumn.

Thanks again everyone, for the kind words. 'New Year' started for me today, as planned, with no running. Most enjoyable; I may do it again tomorrow, then get my trainers back on for Saturday's parkrun.

Healing vibes to you, Spongecake. I hope your knee recovers quickly and fully

What is the date of the Haweswater Half, Mandie ?

• Options
    RLTW,Sad news about the pier,like so many others that fall foul to the weather and disrepair.I think one of the nightclubs we used was across the road from the pier,that too has recently been demolished.

Thanks XL,Its an irritating injury that I just cant seem to shift despite following all the physios advice for a change.Great pics if your trip out,Last time I rode up that track I saw some deer in the woods.

Haweswater is normally the first weekend in March.Beautiful scenery,a couple of tasty hills and a friendly race.
  • Options

XL - its 3rd March next year, which could be a problem with me but will look at taking some leave when I'm back in work on Saturday.

Spongecake - sorry to hear of your ongoing niggles.

Shielsy - I've got a Samsung Galaxy Ace on a contract with Tescos for £15 a month but wouldn't recommend it. I've only downloaded a couple of apps (fb/twitter and one for my shifts) and its constantly telling me I've got no memory left. I asked in Tescos and they said it needs an update using my computer (Samsung Kies for those who may be able to understand my basic knowledge of gadgets) but when I plug my phone into the computer its telling me its all up to date??  Very confusing and I'm now just looking forward to when I can upgrade it and get rid.

(loving the sound of XL's phone which is how mine used to be)

• Options
    Hi Mandie,my wife had the same problem with her phone,we eventually figured out that you have to go into settings and save to sd card instead of phone,hope this helps a little.