Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options
    Good afternoon everyone.

Just back from sports massage and it was good news, the muscle that is giving me aggro is the plantaris which runs diagonally across the back of the leg behind the knee, he pressed in on it in a couple of places and i leapt off the table !!

Apparently is a bit of an odd muscle to tweak but its easily sorted with hamstring stretching and rubbing a tennis ball into the affected area. Im ok to keep running as lo as i do lots of stretching so my arget of running 1000 miles this year may still be on course !
  • Options

Mandie- pleased to hear Bobbi is on the mend. Our Westie would hate the idea of hydrotherapy.  Even a bath has him quivering like a jelly!

Bob- love the designimage. I guess the babe didn't pop out on a parkrun??

• Options

mr sj - had same issues last year and yep the stretching and the tennis ball did trick - have been 6 months clear of it now

• Options
    Thats good to hear bearsted, did parkrun this morning and made a real point if stretching out my hamstrings afterwards, its certainly not slowing up my running but would like to get rid of it soon !!
  • Options

Evening everyone

Blaydon cross country for me this afternoon.  It was a bit of a muddy one in parts, thanks to the downpour we had last night, and I did think I was going to come a-cropper at several of the sharp turns (one of my club's coaches kept shouting at me to 'Go wide!  Go wide!' but I never heard them) but I managed to stay upright, just.

The course itself is reasonably flat, but then there's a chicane section of short steep hills that have to be negotiated twice (2 loops) which were just horrible for sapping the strength from your legs.

Thankfully the women's course was only 3.2 miles so the horror didn't last too long.  I've no clue how I did, but I managed to average 8min/mile pace, which I was quite pleased with.

As I was getting changed back at our club tent Graham came over to finally say hello, which was really nice of him - good to meet you in person, Graham.

Then it was a bit of a trek home (OH doing overtime at work) with me having to get a bus, a metro, and another bus before I was home.  I was freezing, as I just had my club vest on and 2 very lightweight running jackets.

Have been absolutely freezing ever since - I feel like I just can't get warmed up.  But the cup of tea and carrot cake I had when I finally got in made the afternoon's efforts well worth it.

mr sj - well done at parkrun today.  Hope the hamstring settles down soon.

• Options

Shielsy, nice to meet you too. Sounds a nightmare of a trek home for you. No clubmates with cars going your way? I had a nice cup of tea when I got home too and my wife had bought some chocolate eclairs. Just the job, followed by a long soak in the bath listening to Newcastle getting beaten at home again image. Hope you manage to warm up soon.

• Options

Hope you manage to warm up soon Shielsy! Sounds like you did very well though! image

Hi Graham. How are you?

Glad the sports massage went well mr sj!

Hi OS and BP image

Hope the forum pups are OK!

Thanks for the kind wishes. I am working on things now image

• Options

Hi Vixx

Well done on the XC Shielsy- a hot bath sounds in order.

• Options

Hi OS - how are you?

• Options

Best of luck to Bob Parr at Brighton tomorrow  image

• Options

Good morning everybody!

Hi Shielsy, thank-you very much.  I'm up early to have breakfast, walk the dog and then drive the 30 odd miles to Brighton.  I'm only aiming to get round in just under the hour (this is my PB course set two years ago of 49:15) as this is only my third run since I injured my knee at the end of September.  Well done on your cross country.  I sounded tough again.  Sorry to hear that you had to chop and change transport to get home.  I'm leaving early today to be able to park on the sea front and just walk to and from the car!

I was actually down to be joint Volunteer Coordinator at parkrun again yesterday, which was why I only appeared on the volunteer rosta for setup (the volunteer coordinator should know that they are doing that job and so does not get the email?). The other coordinator did the admin and then passed the job over to me to do at the start / finish area.  It is actually quite good as you start to put names to the faces you see of the regulars that turn up.  There were quite a few volunteers as many of them are doing Brighton today.  Next week I've been put down to be Run Director as the five people who set up our parkrun are trying to get new people to do more of the roles and let them take a step back to be able to enjoy and run it occasionally.  Now I'm slightly nervous about that, but I'm sure it will be ok.  Any tips from fellow forumites?  How to shout into a megaphone correctly perhaps?

We gave the parkrun baby's dad the baby grows as mum and Herbie were only discharged from hospital on friday.  She had to have him by c-section as he started to get suck and apparenly the first thing the mid-wife said as he was pulled out was "hasn't he got big feet!".  Mum tweeted that she and Herbie love his new baby grows, which is nice!

Mandie - good to hear that Bobbi is making good progress.  Sorry that you had an upsetting incident at the kennels, but unfortunately some dogs are like that.  Our little pooch decided to make a bolt for it after we had him home from Battersea Dogs and Cats home for a couple of hours.  I had been playing chase with him in the back garden and then a friend came round to see him and he bolted out the front door.  Then as I chased after him he must have thought that it was all part of the game as he would let me catch up then continue to run on.  I had no recall of him as we did not know his name from his previous life and he did not know me to come back to me.  I chased him for about three-quarters of a mile (good job I was used to running!) through the middle of town whilst getting odd looks from people I was passing until I could shout ahead to someone to say "Can you stop the dog?".  The chap put his hand out and the dog stopped for a pet!  So I was then able to carry him home.

Hi Vixx, how are you today?

Glad the knee is holding out Mr SJ.  I see stringy is having fun on facebook!  Almost a laugh a day!

Right, enough idle chat and white noise.  I must go and get ready.  All the best to anyone else who is running or racing today.  I'll try to let you know how I got on later.

• Options

Wow - that was longer than I anticipated!image

• Options

'Herbie' ?  For real?

• Options
    Good luck today Bob

Hi everyone, hope you're all out enjoying a fine Sunday morning.

It is a little cold and frosty out so be careful underfoot.

Managed a 4 mile run this morn and loved every minute, I did get some strange looks from sensible people in winter Coats and scarves as I ran along the river path in shorts and a t !

now to make the most of my last Sunday off before CHristmas, oh the joys of retail management, still it pays the bills
  • Options
    Shrek - i love getting those funny looks off people all wrapped up or sitting in their cars with the heating blasting as i run past in t shirt ! Its even more fun once the snow starts, bloody love it !
  • Options

Good luck Bob

I hope everyone else had the perfect running weather that we did today.  I did a lovely 13 mile run into Oxford and back along the river.  Lots of novice eights being shouted out by their coaches and some angry geese and swans hissing at them too.  Made me smile anywayimage.  Its the furthest i've run since the Argentan half 6 weeks ago and I was only 5 minutes slower today- perhaps a bit fast for a training run but the conditions were sooo good.

• Options

mr sj- a few years ago when we had a load of snow, I put on my spikes and ran on the compacted snow on the roads.  As I whizzed past a couple teetering along in walking boots, I  heard them say "He'll come a cropper in a minute"- I don't think so image.

• Options

Costco have got spikes that can be put on regular shoes and trainers at the moment - think it was £9.99 for two pairs.

• Options

Vixx-thanks for emnding the thread that I seemed to have broken earlierimage

• Options

No worries - sounds like you had a good run today image

Anyone else been running today?

• Options

Good morning everyone.

(Hope this does not break the thread!)

Brighton 10K Race Report.

It was a frosty start to the day with a clear sky and virtually no wind.  So it looked like perfect running conditions.  When I got to the coast the sea was really calm and flat and the sea front looked absolutely glorious bathed in sunlight.  So, once I had parked up at about the 1km mark on the course, I thought I would go for a wander and take a couple of photos on my phone.  First one is the iconic Brighton seafront arches with the Pier in the background (been in a few films such as "Brighton Rock" and "Quadrophenia") and then I went up to Marine Parade and took a picture of the Start/Finish area on Madeira Drive with the Pier and Wheel in the background.  I then had a wander around and bumped in to a couple of people that I usually see at local races and so had a chat with them and saw a chap from my local parkrun. 

/members/images/430405/gallery/DSC00359.jpg

/members/images/430405/gallery/DSC00361.jpg

At about 9:20 I had a little warm-up jog back to the car and got ready for the race.  I walked back to the start area and went to the area towards the back of the 50-60 minute finishing times.  Whilst in the penn waiting for the start I saw that Clumsy Anne (from the 2012 GNR forum) had stopped and was talking to the group of people next to me, so I introduced myself, how I knew who she was and then wished her good luck for this race.

• Options

Brighton 10K Race Report (part 2)

The race started at 10am exactly and with the walk to the start line I got across it as the clock read 2:08.  I set off at a pace I felt comfortable with, hoping to get round in just under the hour, and at the first kilometre split I glanced at my watch and saw that I had done it in 5m17s, which would get me round in about 53 minutes.  So I thought, OK keep going at what ever pace was comfortable but I did not look at my watch again for any pace details.  At about the 1.5 Km mark I caught up with Anne and had a quick chat with her again - she said that she had settled into her pace - so I pushed on.  A good thing about Brighton (which some people don't like) is that it is two out-and-backs and so I was scanning the faces of people that I recognise and give them a shout of encouragement.  Saw one of our parkrunners and gave her a shout and a chap from a local running club that I chat to who is in the M70 category still getting round in about 73 minutes. I know that I was well under the 60 minute barrier as the halfway point was well behind me when my Garmin gave me a 30 minute time alert.  I have to admit that after about 7 Km I started to slow a little as I have lost some of my stamina though resting my knee, and Anne came past me at about the 8 Km mark.  I got to the finish with the clock reading just under 57 minutes and so I was really quite pleased as my knee had not caused me any problems throughout the race and I stopped my Garmin on 54:41.  About 5 minutes later I got the official time via text that I had a chip time of 54:43 - I am really quite pleased with this as it was only my third run since 30th September.  I then hung around the finishing funnel and congratulated a few of the faces I recognised.  Then walked towards the car, collecting a bottle of water on the way.

Got home at about 12:15 to be told that I had to get into my gardening clothes as I had to help the other half tidy up the garden for winter.  So I did not really get a chance to stop and write up the report until late last night and earlier this morning.

• Options

P.S.  Thank-you for your best wishes.  It was nice to come home and see them. image

Shielsy - Yes, honsetly!  I think it's not a bad name, in fact I quite like it, however number 53 did spring to mind for some reason! image

• Options

Had a bit of a nightmare at Luton Marathon yesterday- It is a 3 lap race and is hilly but that is no excuse. was fine through 18 miles and on 3:55 pace then legs just went into a 'vegetative state' and decided that they would not work the way they should - it was not cramp it was just massive aching pain. Anyway that was end of decent time and finished in 4:18 (worst for 4 years). Weird thing is that 1/2 hour after race legs were feeling great no aches and even today I have no aches - it is almost as though I imagined the race and didn't run.

• Options

Well done Bob - great to hear your knee held out and got a fab time!

Sorry to hear Luton didn't go as planned Bearsted Plodder. At least you are not suffering any nasty injury.

• Options

Well done Bob - from your photos it looks like it was really good running conditions.

Hard lines on your disappointing (for you, I hasten to add) marathon time.  Weird about your lack of DOMS.

• Options

Yeah the weirdest thing is the lack of DOMS not only can I come down stairs forwards today (usually takes a couple of days for that) I can actually bound down the stairs.

• Options

Bearsted Plodder - I would be elated with a time anywhere near 4.18 and am always just glad & releaved to get around for a mara. Well done.

Giving club a night off tonight - very tempted but dont want to do the to much too quick thing when just getting back into things. 

Hows everyone today ?

• Options
    Yeah I am a firm believer any one who gets around a marathon has done so well but I am always critical of myself and it is 25mins outside PB and my worst since 2005.