Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Think so Vixx - you too ?

• Options

Now O know so - still awake & have a long day ahead image

• Options
    Phew, thank god it wasnt me starting with 'good morning all'. Thought i had well and truly broken the thread !!

So...........

Good morning all image
  • Options
    Good morning.

Shrek,think your going to need matchsticks for your eyelids today.

Managed a session in the gym yesterday,cycle machine,run/walk on the dread machine,leg weights and rowing machine.Leg and knee feel ok so I may be on the mend.
  • Options

Morning everyone.

Bob - how did the 5 mile test run go?  Hope it went well and you're fit for Sunday.

Shrek - the custard tart was lovely - I could eat another one now.

spongecake - really hope you are on the mend.

mr sj - how was the knee after your club race?

Is anyone doing the Saltwell 10k on 22nd December?  I really want to do it - it's a tough one, but a nice way of kind of justifying over indulgence with your Christmas dinner.  Trouble is I've a feeling I'll be panicking about things I haven't done in preparation for Christmas and will feel I have to miss the race to paint a room, or something.

• Options

Luton Marathon on Sunday - just got over chest infection in time - short 3 mile jog tonight then race on Sunday

• Options
    Shielsey - the back of my leg was completely seized up yesterday morning and up the side of the knee but then it eased off during the day and feels ok today, off to see physio on friday and hopefully get to the bottom of it.

Im not doing saltwell, did it about 3 years go and hated every second of it ! Swore i'd never do it again
  • Options
    mr sj wrote (see)
    Im not doing saltwell, did it about 3 years go and hated every second of it ! Swore i'd never do it again

Great to hear you're ok - don't overdue it at the club though (if you go).  Lol, yeah, I half hated/half loved Saltwell when I did it years ago - all those hills - but the year I ran it the park looked so pretty (bright sunshine but frost everywhere) that it really got me into the Christmas spirit.

• Options

I'm probably doing Saltwell. Never done it before though. The hills are a plus as I can forget about PBs and all that stuff and just run as I feel on the day to enjoy it. 

I did 23m 54s at the NSP Grand Prix on Tuesday so quite pleased with that, especially with the headwind going out. Looking forward to the cross-country on Saturday.

• Options

See you at the X/C Graham.

• Options

Shielsy, yes, see you there. Shouldn't be too muddy after the dryish spell recently. He says hopefully image. Meant to say, well done on your 10K prize.

• Options
    Graham. - i spotted you at the grand prix in the finishing funnel but didnt get a chance to come and say hello, got caught talking to someone and by the time i had finished you had gone !
  • Options

mr sj, oh well, maybe next time then image. They keep you moving after finishing, understandably, and I went on a warm-down with a couple of club-mates soon after. Hope I didn't look too knackered!

• Options

Hi Everyone,

Just Browsing and saw this post from Shielsy,

Mark Chadderton - everyone who raced in this year should have got an email from GreatRun, but many didn't (including myself - which is very annoying as I always pay for the bond places yet I'm always having to chase them up ... though they've got my proper email address as I get sent a load of emails from them about other events throughout the year).

Are you on Facebook?  They have their own page https://www.facebook.com/#!/bupagreatnorthrun)

RE  I didn't get an e-mail about membership. It was quite annoying as GNR have my details as I ran the GNR for the first time (through a ballot place) this year and loved it. So I used the link and I've just had confirmation, so I'm in for the next 3 years all being well.

Thanks Guys for the info, happy training and chatting.

• Options

Saltwell 10k

*shudders*

• Options
    I feel as though I am missing out on some really good runs back up in North. I really ought to move back up there some day soon.
  • Options

CC2 - I've send my form off for Saltwell - you're making me nervous....

• Options
    Managed to stay awake all day with just 2 hrs sleep last night

Just like thunder run !

Too tired to run today so just enjoying hebbern on the telly man

Canny !!!!

Glad to hear you are on the mend spongecake
  • Options

Happy Wanderer - that's great news, glad the thread was of help and best of luck with your training.

CC2 - don't get me nervous ... I really want to do Saltwell again.  The last time was back in December 2007 so I'm hoping to beat my time for that this year.  Though it's definitely not a pb course, that's for sure.

• Options

Oh sugar - forgot about Hebburn.  Hope it's repeated image.

• Options

Oh yeah - 6.6 miles for me after work ... very enjoyable.

• Options

Belated congrats on those massive PBs Shielsy and Snoopy (hope the dog is fully recovered).

Shielsy wrote (see)
    he's on a gluten and diary-free diet at the moment, but it's like he's overcompensating with me,

Is that a diet when you have to avoid eating dates?image

• Options

Shielsy - Well done on your 6.6 after work.  With the way that you are running at the moment, I would not doubt that you will beat your Saltwell time for 2007.  I only did 4.5 miles yesterday at lunch time at about 9m20 per mile.  My knee did let me know it was there but it was only a slight ache when the pavement was on quite a steep camber.  Today it is fine - it's just the rest of my legs that are moaning at me with DOMS as they had forgotten what it was like to run.  I'm sure I'll be fine for my 10K promenade along the seafront in Brighton on Sunday.  Anyway, thanks for enquiring about me.  Oh, also Hebburn is repeated on Sunday at 11:20pm and at the moment all the back episodes are on iPlayer - I keep meaning to catch up.

Mr SJ - "Good morning, good afternoon and good evening!"  Glad that your knee is ok and I hope that you can get to the cause of the problems.

I'm tempted to jog around parkrun this Saturday to chalk up another run towards my 50 club tshirt.  I'm on the volunteer roster to help with the setup the course and finish area beforehand but I'm not down to do any other task.  At the moment I have only run on 10 occasions out of 23 that have been held at my home parkrun and I did not know about the first two.  The volunteering email from last week said that I had volunteered on 16 occastions whilst fulfilling 22 roles.  I've also done a design for a logo that I've transferred to a set of baby sleepers for our parkrun baby as his mum did 12 parkruns whilst pregnant - the last one with me in attendance as a chaperone for which I got a pacer volunteering credit!  I will take a photo and upload it to let you all see it.

Still worried that there has been no news of Cooper or Bobbi, do hope they are both ok!

Good night.  Shrek, hope you get a better night's sleep.

• Options

Bob - thanks for the info about Hebburn - I've set it to record.  Enjoy your 10k - running along the Brighton promenade sounds wonderful.

Parkrun sleepers?  This could be the start of something big.  If they're selling baby sleepers with 'My Mummy likes to pretend my Daddy is Christian Gray' - image (just so wrong and horribly inappropriate, in so many ways! image) then Parkrun baby sleepers sounds brilliant.

• Options

Morning Shielsy, morning Bob.

How are you today?

• Options

Morning Sheilsy, morning Vixx.

I'm good thanks, how are you?

Brighton is really nice when the weather is with you.  It is a flat course that starts between the Pier and Marina and takes you out and back towards the Marina and then out and back towards Hove past the Pier.  It is great when there is no wind, but when it is windy you generally get no shelter from it as it is coming off the sea, however it is usually behind you for the last three and a half kilometres.

/members/images/430405/gallery/RW_Baby_Sleeper.jpg

So these are the baby sleepers.  It's a "10 in utero" tee!

• Options

Aww, I love it - what a fantastic idea!

• Options

image aaahhhh so cute!!

Bob - Bobbi seems to be doing very well thank you. Stitches are now out and I'm allowed to walk her for no more than 10 mins at a time. She's still got a slight limp and does tire quite easily some days but all in all she's getting there now. I'm taking her for a trial attempt at hydrotherapy next Tues which will be 'interesting'. Much as she loves puddles/rivers she likes to have her feet on the floor so I'm not sure if she'll like it.

Had a couple of rubbish days this week and this morning has been no different. One of the dogs at the kennels escaped on me (split second and he was out - he was so fast I didn't even see which way he went) and he somehow ended up in another kennel with a dog that was being cleaned by another volunteer. It was just a freak thing but all hell broke loose. Luckily neither dog was hurt but one of the 'real' staff got a bit upset/angry that she had to kick one of the dogs to stop it hurting the other. I then got ask to go into the office to say what had happened. I felt terrible and got a little upset myself (build up of emotions from the last few days I suppose). Everyone told me that it's happened to them all at some time or another but it really knocked my confidence and now I'm home I'm still feeling guilty about it.

Hey ho - today can only get better I suppose........on the other hand I'm working a late shift (1700-0300hrs) so maybe it won't image

• Options

Poor you Mandie  (((hugs))).  I hate getting stuff wrong at work - even though I know everyone makes mistakes I still take it hard when it's me messing up.  Good news about Bobbi though!

Vixx - I'm good thanks, and you?  Full of cake and scone at the moment - we've had our usual bake sale in work for Children in Need and I've stuffed my face (all for the purposes of charity, of course  image)

Bob - Parkrun onesies for adults, that'll be the next thing.

• Options

Bob - that looks great, it may just catch on. image

Mandie - Don't worry, it happens, dogs have minds of their own and at any time you have limited control. The main thing is to thing of all the good you are doing and you didn't let the dog get away on purpose. ((Hug))

Shielsy - don't eat too many cakes, in fact, pass some over here, I'll help. For charity of course. image

Mr SJ - How's the knee today?

4.61 miles for me last night. Getting further now at a decent pace, so all good. image