Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Hi Fiona - its all individual walks so I've probably added a good few miles to this mornings run.There are dogs of all shapes and sizes, with some walking nicely alongside you and others who drag you along as fast as you will let them. I see it as a farlek session with weight training thrown in!!!

• Options

Evening everyone

Day of rest for me today (well, I wouldn't call shopping, cooking, washing up etc 'rest' exactly, but no running).

LFC - I finally got around to watching you on Tipping Point.  I have to say, you looked great (are you really tall, or was it just that the other contestants were little shorties?) but you were really unlucky.  I did laugh when you got the question about the Liver bird though.

• Options

Anyone doing the North Tyneside 10k this year? I'll be doing a 16 mile warm up then running the 10k at marathon pace again. I can offer my services for some Sergeant Major style pacing if anyone is looking to run at 6.45 - 6.50 min miling. I'm afraid my maths isn't up to the challenge of working out the finish time for that! XL man, you up for a new PB? I'm sure you loved me shouting at you really. 

• Options
    I'll be there CC2, planning a parkrun in e next few weeks to test what sort of condition i am in but hoping to be running a sub 42.
  • Options

Morning everyone

Mandie - that's some dog walking, a guy from work has just got a new dog (a labradoodle) and he is worn out from just chasing after the one.

Welcome back to the lovely british weather Roy.

Shielsy - I'm just over 6'2". It just wasn't my day I'm afraid. I knew the answer to the one I got wrong, so why on earth I answered it wrong, I'll never know. The woman who won wasn't very nice and very strange. image

Out for about 4 miles later. The runs are improving at last and I'm finding that it's easier for me to push myself out of the door so the mojo is making a return. All good. image

• Options

Good news lfc keep it up

• Options

Hope to see you soon at parkrun lfc and I will be quizzing you about the strange woman.

• Options

Morning all

LFC - gosh you are tall

CC2 - I'm going to be away that weekend so won't be running. Although my MP is a bit slower than yours image

Mandie - that is certainly a few extra miles a day.

Shielsy - I always feel like that about rest days, the only thing you don't do is run and then you use the time you would have run to do about 10 other things!

• Options
    lfc runner wrote (see)

Shielsy - I'm just over 6'2". It just wasn't my day I'm afraid. I knew the answer to the one I got wrong, so why on earth I answered it wrong, I'll never know. The woman who won wasn't very nice and very strange. image

Was that the question about the children in Outnumbered?  I was shouting 'Nooooooooo, it's 3 kids!!!' at you, lol.

To be honest I didn't bother watching the rest of the show after you'd got booted off, so I don't know who won - but was it that woman next to you who kept chanting, willing the coins to drop?  If so, I thought she was strange just watching that bit.  If I ever meet you in real life you can dish the dirt image.

Morning to everyone.  It's lovely and sunny up here this morning again, though very frosty

• Options

Shielsy - Yes, it was her, and yes, it was the outnumbered question. Not a clue why I said 2.

Dasher - I hope to be at the park run this Saturday if all goes to plan, see you there.

• Options

Evening all.

10 miles tonight after work.  Felt tired at the start but perked up after a few miles.

Hope everyone has had a great Thursday.

(you been out running yet, RLTW?)

• Options
    Well done Shielsy - an aborted 9 mile tempo run on treadmill at 2 miles as knee was so painful I am now starting to think that the physio may have been right with her idea that I may have a ligament problem. I am starting to think also it may be the end of my spring marathon. It will be rest now for a week and see what happens (well that's what I say now but no doubt I will try it too soon).
  • Options
    Shielsy wrote (see)

Evening all.

10 miles tonight after work.  Felt tired at the start but perked up after a few miles.

Hope everyone has had a great Thursday.

(you been out running yet, RLTW?)

err um - no image.  But I have copied your previous post onto a 'sticky note' wich will pop up ever time I open my lap top ( just to give me a a continuous kick up the back-side from you!)

• Options

RLTW- you ought to get down to the Oxford parkrun again.  I think they missed a few due to weather/ ground conditions but they seem to be happening again.  If not, we are hoping that we will be able to run our usual proper course for the first time since November (thanks to the floods) on Saturday.

9 miles for me tonight and then a day off (running) tomorrow (yay) before 20 miles on Saturday and a XC on Sunday.  So far the legs are holding up well despite nearly 200 miles this month but I am looking forward to the taper image.

• Options

OS - 200 miles in one month!!image, 20 miles Sat followed by XC the day after??? image

.........and I thought Mr K was crazy! imageimage

• Options

OS - that is great running we know it pays off in long run

• Options

OS - don't you feel constantly tired?  I'm only bumping up my weekly mileage a little bit to about 35 - 40 mpw and just feel shattered a lot of the time.  Marathon training falling slap bang in the middle of the Cross Country season hasn't helped though.  Hopefully my week in Spain will re-charge my batteries.

Tonight is my rest day, and all I want to do after work is to curl up in my pjs, but I have to go out for a friend's birthday.

BP - I'm so sorry to hear about your ongoing injury niggles.  fingers crossed that your week's rest will help.

RLTW - never mind Post-It notes - get your trainers on!

• Options

Shielsy- completely knackered!  That's why I'm looking forward to the taper image.  I'm also doin the entries for the Abingdon marathon this year, so there's a lot of data entering going on too in the evneings and literally 100's of emails.  Fortunately its now full (1100 places in only 27 days!) so I'm just left with those wanting to go on the waiting list.  Enjoy Spain- a bit of sun will be a change!

Mandie- Mr K IS crazy!  He does longer distances.  One member of our club ran 40 miles on a track at Barry last weekend in 4hr19 and came second!!  That is true madness- 161 laps.....zzzzzz

• Options
    Climbs out of gym locker and made it around Sunderland Parkrun this morning.

Ive been lurking,some fantastic running going on,Well done to you all. For those of us who are struggling with mojo.Come on get yourself back out and run a little,it will make you smile image
  • Options

Volunteered at parkrun today. Have done this before but always as a marshal out on the course.

Got persuaded by the Race Director to do scanning today. Hope I didn't mess it up and everyone gets their correct time!

Didn't miss out on my Saturday run though as I ran to the park and back.image

• Options

Well done Roy- scanning is harder to mess up.  The real stress job is timing- huge scope to upset a lot of runners and give the race director a headache tooimage.

• Options
    I've been to parkrun as well this morning. It was a beautiful morning but a bit chilly. Just pottered round as it was a recovery run.

OS - I'm over 200 miles for the month, never run as much in my life!

Mr SJ - thanks for the heads up on the race in December at the race course. I've signed up for the half. image

Sponge - well done on making it to the parkrun

Roy - I'd be terrified of making an error too.
  • Options

Well done Fiona- hope the legs are holding up!  I hope that even if my fitness doesn't improve, my mental arithmetic should as i spend the long runs calculating paces etc to pass the time and today I counted my paces/ 100m and worked out that my poor feet hit the ground over 25,000 times during today's run.  No wonder they ache a bit!

• Options

297 miles for me in February. Luckily I didn't realise that until nearly midnight on the 28th, or I might have been tempted to nip out for 3 more to make a nice round number image

• Options
    Speedy that is immense running
  • Options

Gosh, all you people who are running 200+ miles are incredible.  You must never be in the house!  My highest mileage ever was last month's 135 miles and I feel like I'm either in work or on the streets (image).

spongecake - well done to hear you've dusted down your mojo and got back out there.  It was a lovely day for it wasn't it?

I would be terrified of marshalling at a parkrun (well, anything to do with the results at any rate!)

Cross-country at Alnwick for me today, and for once the sun was shining - yay!  Unfortunately it did not mean that the course wasn't muddy ... there were only a few short sections of mud, but we are talking thick, solid, almost take your shoe off mud.  Honestly, I am so done with mud now!

The course itself (4.1 miles for the women) is quite 'awkward' in that it's very uneven for the best part of the way underfoot - as well as the mud, the fields were scattered with molehills and the forest bits had tree roots waiting to trip you up.  Then towards the end of the first (and obviously second) loop there's this terrifying drop down, which looks like it would be really good fun to run down, but in actual fact is very scary as one misplaced foot would have you at best going over on your ankle or at worst doing somersaults down the hill.

I felt quite strong all the way though (probably because I made sure I didn't go off too fast) and seemed to take over a fair few runners, with the only runners taking over me being the women from the middle and fast packs.

Now I've just got a little matter of an 18 miler to do, either tomorrow or Monday, before jetting off to Spain for a nice relaxing week.

• Options

Oh, and my Garmin velcro wrist strap came today, and I have to say it's much more comfortable than my original strap, so thanks to OS (and others) who recommended it.

• Options
    Have a great holiday Shielsy and have a good 18
  • Options

Never come accross a velcro wrist strap for the Garmin.

Are their different ones for the different models or does one size fit all?

And where did you order it from Shielsy? Give my love to Benidromimage

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Shielsy, great description of the cross country. You were looking strong as you finished. I didn't do this one last year and had been looking forward to it. It's a real XC course, with hills, wooded bits, fields, and (of course) mud. Real deep sticky horrible mud, luckily only in short stretches. Only Prudhoe to come now this season, with that horrendous hill to look forward to!  Enjoy the long run, and Spain.

CC2, brilliant mileage from you. Very impressed.

Fiona, you too. That's a lot of miles in a month.

OS, and you!

There are some committed runners on this thread, that's for sure.