Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    SB - Re your sore soles, do you run in racing flats, or minimalist shoes, ie no cushioning?
  • Options

Great effort yesterday Gaz ! i ran 42.29 still got a long way to go to get fitness back, but its coming ! 3.5 mins slower than my last 10k. Gaz your doing the half are'nt you ?

I ran 1.25 there the other year so you should easily get under 1.30 mate.

• Options
    GazOC wrote (see)

A little SB, I also ran a HM PB of 1:30:09 a couple of weeks back so I;m getting used to falling just short of the nice, round numbers!image

Ouch, 10 second shy of a BIG milestone, that hurts.

• Options
    Simon Santa Claus wrote (see)
    SB - Re your sore soles, do you run in racing flats, or minimalist shoes, ie no cushioning?

Nope.  I have a fairly neutral gait so just wear the basic Asics Gel 1170s.

• Options

Signed up for Manchester last night, my second marathon after doing VLM this year. Looking forward to concentrating on the training once Christmas is out of the way.

• Options
    Simon Santa Claus wrote (see)
    EP - At least you got out there for a run. I presume when you say next year you mean 2014?

Thanks Simon and yes, I meant 2014. 

• Options

Signed up! Hoping to go sub 3:30 after 3:54 at VLM and 3:43 at Liverpool. Just ticking over with the training at the moment, will start Runners World 16 week training programme 7th Jan.

• Options
    Strangely Brown wrote (see)
    Envious plodder wrote (see)

Cheers Steady Brown image Thats sounds like a brilliant time to aim for. Good luck image Look forward to reading all about it image xx

Thanks man, will be sure to stay on the thread until the race is done.

SB - Thanks, I am a girl though lol. 
    I am torn between Manchester and MK, MK being in May had the natural advantage as I havent been training . .then I noticed they were a week apart lol. Think MK 'cos its nearer. But will keep an eye out here as its been a really friendly thread too. Good luck guys x
  • Options

miss this thread! I have started one for the Marathon of the North in Sunderland (on the same day as Manchester) A couple of others are using the thread but not nearly so active as this one. Maybe it will be used more as time goes by. I have not entered GMM as fancied a change for my 2nd marathon. Training gradually getting started after a car accident nearly 2 weeks ago. I skidded on ice and turned my car on its side. Car a write off but I walked away shaken and bruised but otherwise ok. Trying to build up my runs again but not easy in the weather conditions. Hope training is going well and I will be thinking of you all on the day when I line up at the Stadium of Light! image

• Options

Hi all, could you recommend any hotels which are in a good location for the start/finish please? We're not from Manchester so want to stay over the night before, but I cannot find any packages for hotels the night before. Thanks,

• Options

Joanna - dont know what type of hotel you want but if not to up market then have a look at hotels out Sale/Brooklands as easy Metro into start and race goes through there if you have people watching you. We stayed at a little B&B (Brooklands Lodge) last year and it was really good for what we wanted (only 2 minutes from Metro Station). I am one for a nice hotel and this although not a full hotel was very clean and tidy and rooms were adequate.

• Options

I live in Timperley and there are a few cheap hotels and B&Bs round Timp/Altrincham and Sale which are all within a few minutes walk of a Metrolink station

There's a Travelodge in Altrincham centre now which isn't far from the tram station and the Premier Inn falls nicely between Altrincham and Navigation Road stations

I used to drink in the Pelican in Sale and that has a motel type place attached, the Altrincham Lodge which again is only round the corner from Timperley station

There are probably other more expensive places but if you're looking for somewhere to crash the night before and get ready then the above would suffice

• Options

Evening fellow rubbers.  I shall know for definite by end of week whether Manchester or VLM for me (club ballot for VLM).  Something in my head tells me not to bother with London, I am thinking it may not be the place to aim to smash my PB, crowds etc.  Hmm.  Anyway, I think I would like to do it once, just to see if I can beat some knob from TOWIE or a random chef.  Manchester is calling me back, have a ghost to exorcise.  As well as a subway to scrawl my name on, damn that subway from this year's race. 

• Options

Well, no turning back now,I've entered and am looking forward to what the next few months might bring

I've got a training plan based loosely on the GMM Intermediate which fits with my current training days/schedule

My one concern at the moment is that my speed hasn't really picked back up from pre-Tatton half-marathon training and the race itself and I'm probably not running much faster that I was 12 months ago, although admittedly I'm running further

• Options
    I'm in! Next years A race so far. Bring it on......
  • Options
    Haven't entered yet. Christmas was priority so once get paid at end of month I will enter. As coming from north of the border what is the hotel situation like as in do the book up quickly?
  • Options

There are quite a few, decent and reasonably prices hotels in Salford Quays

• Options
    Just entered this week. I've done 5 marathons before but none for a few years though I do run regularly. I'm aiming for a sub 4 hr which means knocking 7 mins of my pb. I'm starting training on the 7th jan but haven't decided on which plan to use yet. I'm currently running about 3 times a week . One session is track and my long runs 10-12 miles. Any suggestions?
  • Options

Just hitting my stride in training, up to about 40m/wk, 16 for my LSR and I've slipped a disc in my back, took me 6 months to get over it last time, gutted.

• Options

Heow, there's no subway to vandalise on the new course. But there is Old traffordimage

• Options

Is there a cut off time for this one? Thanks in advance. 

EP. x

• Options
    Think I read it was 6hrs mate
  • Options

I am definitely in for Manchester, didn't win in the VLM ballot with club, quite glad really, have far better chance of PB at Manchester.  Just need to enter now!  So, I am here, to desecrate the thread. image  I ask one thing... NO weather updates until 48 hours before.  image Following P&D plan for this, switching between the

• Options

Catherine, can you run more than 3 times a week? 

• Options

Afternoon all.  I've just signed up.  £42.50 plus £2.13 (5% 'service fee') so £44.63 total.  I used the MEN5 code to knock off a fiver; it still works.  

Hoping for better weather than there was last year.

• Options
    Right rip off for a marathon. Grieved me to pay that tbh
  • Options

I'd just decided to do enter... but just found the price.  OMG...  This organising company must have employees going around in private jets.

50 quid...  OMG   OMG.  Then they've got the cheek to charge the 'booking fee' separately  - rather than being honest about what the price is.

I don't know what to do.  I wanted to do it... but am I prepared to pay such a rip off price?... one that is nothing to do with costs... and everything to do with maximising income.

I'm certainly going to wait til after Christmas, and will have a look round for alternatives.

• Options
    I try to put things into comparison.

I also enjoy a good night out on the lash, and wouldn't normally think twice about spending ??50 for a bad head the next day.

At least entering this will keep me out the pub for a bit & I'll have something to show for it / be proud of afterwards

But yeh...??50 is still a piss take lol
  • Options

Cheets Jedwards x