Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Just to let everybody know i've just had a look at the website and found that entries close on the 7th of jan !!

Better get myself signed up!!

• Options

Ashman, I was so shocked I checked . .apologies you are right . . how bizarre that they are closing entries so early. Do you think its a typo? I just cant imagine why they would say no to entries in March still. 

• Options

They also say they can't process a transfer to 2014 with less than 6 weeks notice, so their processes must be snail-like!  And no transfers to other runners, maybe that's just too hard.

I do sometimes wonder how much these big events companies are just taking the p*%$ ??

• Options

I wasn't going to enter till after Christmas, New Year but didn't expect it to close that early.  A lot of people are going to miss out unless like you say Envious Plodder its a typo..

• Options

Ashman -  I agree, I just checked the website and its written a couple of times that the deadline is the 7th Jan.Thanks for the heads up though image 

I need to make my mind up for definite now. I am suspect that now there is a deadline and once I have had a few drinkies at xmas . . its only a matter of time. Sensible head is saying just wait.

• Options

I was gonna start training around Christmas time and decide in February/March whether i was going to enter or not.

Unsure what i will do now.

• Options

This thread has gone a bit quiet !

How's everyone's training coming on ?

Mileage up to 40 this week, building my base before i start my 18 week P&D schedule on Christmas eve. 

Don't forget to enter before 7th January..

• Options
    I'm in, but not starting the training till end of dec, just tickin over at the moment.

Didn't realise entry's closed in Jan, will let a few people from Other people know. Thanks.
  • Options
    Building back up after Chester ashman. Back down the club and should be mid 30s rhis week. Looking to get to mid 40s with 16-18 mile long runs by year end for the P&D 55 m schedule, probably adding a few miles to the earlier long runs.
  • Options

I've got Clowne half on 25/11 then have a few weeks to build up to about 50 per week. I then start on Hal Higden Advance 2 to train for my first marathon in manchester. I intend to do some off road stuff as my LSR during December

• Options

Ashman - got Luton Marathon week on Sunday then 4 weeks wind down then back into it for Manchester. Need the wind down as have trained hard for 42 out of last 46 weeks.

• Options

Sorry, late answers.

Jordan - Yeah, around about that mark.  My fastest 10k was in training when I wasn't, erm, training how I should have been.  A few seconds over 40 mins.  Only done one actual 10k proper, that was 41.46, red hot, I fell over and also started at the back of the field because I had no idea what I was doing image so think it would have been a similar time without the mitigating circumstances.

Ashman - No HM run yet.  Again, did a training run of 1.36hr a few months ago but wasn't doing what I should have been (LSRs only these days) and that was my first ever 13 mile run.  I'm running a proper one in Jan and looking for sub 1.30.

• Options

Oh and training, up to 45 miles last week, my largest ever weekly total.  Aiming for 46 this week.

15 mile LSR planned for Sunday morning, this is all really for the HM at the minute, the mara training proper starts after the HM on 06/01/13 but this'll be a fine base I think anyway.

• Options

Hello, thought I'd join in here. I signed up for this a few months ago just catching the early bird offer (but don't think there was a  massive saving!). Just trying to build my base training up to about 40 miles a week by the end of November. Longest runs are about 11 - 12 miles at the moment.

• Options

What is the recommended weekly mileage for a first time marathon training programme. I'm looking to do Manchester as my first next year.

My "base" running outside of preparing for races (he said sounding like a proper athlete) is around 30 miles per week, which I stepped up in preparation for Tatton last week to the point where I was doing my 4 weekly runs but increasing one of them each week so that I ran a 13mile run alongside the other 3 runs of 7-8 miles

I'm looking to start training for Manchester in January and the programme I have is a 16 week one which will probably have a total of 42 miles in the week of the longest run which sounds alot lower than some of the programmes/schedules other people in this thread are describing

The training also seems to have undulating long runs so 13 miles then 16 miles then back down to 13 the following week rather than stepping it up week by week

Is there a better plan to follow although I guess alot of people are looking for a decent time whereas I'll be looking to finish?

• Options

Rockin - it looks like you are following a plan like the RW Ultimate as opposed to say the P&D training. The P&D schedules will be higher mileage and that is what alot of people on here follow.

The reason the mileage goes up and then down is that the schedules are split into 4 x 4 week schedules with the 4th week of each schedule being lower to allow the body to recover before going into the next 4 week schedule where the intensity will be increased. If you just kept increasing each week by the time you got to Marathon your body would be overworked.

I have my own plan but based on a similar plan to RW Ultimate - I use this I do not have enough time to fit in the P&D mileage - I still manage to run 3:50 on this schedule. The guys who followed the P&D schedule after the Manchester last year set unbelievable PB's in the Chester marathon so alot to be said for it if you have the time

• Options

Just had a quick nosey on the website to check the course changes etc.

Stumbled across the entry form page..... wow, £50 is a bit steep considering all the problems from last year and the early cut off point for entry. I guess the organisers are pretty confident at selling out at that price!

• Options

Ran it last year and actually enjoyed it despite weather (oh except for baggage) ... was thinking about it again next year, but at £50 am now having second thoughts, and certainly won't be entering by Jan 7th, so looks like someone in the local(ish) area will be getting my Spring Marathon bucks !

• Options

I thought it seemed a tad steep but when I factor in that it's in Manchester and i'm in Bury, the amount i'd save on food/hotels doing a race further afield more than makes up for that.

• Options

I think £50 is fair for a closed roads marathon.

Pretty insignifant when you think about the amount of hours of training you'll be doing

esp when compared to the extortionate fees charged by the off road/obstacle events!!

• Options
    Garmin 305 sold on eBay and 610 bought brand new from Amazon.

Tried the 610 on a 13.5 mile run and its fantastic. The touch screen is great and I particularly like the Virtual Partner graphics. The new soft HRM strap is also much better.

Thanks to those for advising me to go through Amazon, came very quickly and reassurance of warranty and service should I need it.
  • Options

I didn't get on with the new style HRM strap Andrew. it seems to fold into my skin where the old harder one doesn't.

• Options
    GazOC wrote (see)

I didn't get on with the new style HRM strap Andrew. it seems to fold into my skin where the old harder one doesn't.

I concur with that. The newer HRM strap has left my chest with a couple of nasty marks due to rubbing. If i'm on a long run i have to wear a plaster underneath or it causes me grief.

My 610 will be going back to Garmin shortly, started to corrode on the metal backing some reason. Had it less than 12 months.

• Options
    Only time will tell re the new strap, but It did feel lighter and more comfortable after a 14 mile run. The older one seemed to rub and cause a mark however it was never bad enough for me to put Vaseline or a plaster on or anything. Gaz at least your getting it sorted before the warranty runs out, which is why I'm glad I bought it from Amazon.
  • Options

There is always the Blackpool Marathon 7th April 2013, new venue, football club stadium finish, new course, flat, closed roads and early entrants under £30 (1/2M same day)

• Options

blackpool marathon is rubbish. years and years of complaints about that race, i'd never enter it.

manchester seemed to have some teething troubles this year but i'm entering, even though its a bit expensive.

• Options

I'll agree with Gary, Blackpool is a bit pants!!! Yes it's a bit cheaper but not worth it, I'll be doing the half as part of the build up for Manchester. 

The one thing I would say about Blackpool is if you can put up with the bordem of the sea, then it's a quick course.

• Options

Smileybob

You will not see much of tyhe sea in 2013, many changes, for the better I might add, but thanks for your comment. Since I mentioned the event on this forum we have had 170 hits and over 70 entries, good advertising thanks guys. Blackpool will be the biggest ever in 2013 (beat 4232 record, combined full & half)

Ron

• Options

what about the dozens of threads the organisers of blackpool got RW to remove over the years, because they didnt want people to know the truth about how badly organised it was, well people have long memories