Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Gary

Like many other race/event organisers we took on board the mistakes of previous events, become more professional (see fyldecoastrunning.org) rectified most, chip timing, bottled water, more medical support, bigger and better race HQ, more marshals, two  good class hotels on site, 200 toilets on site, 5000 car parking spaces on site, 4 cafe's open on site, what else can we do. The event has grown over the past three years and will continue with your obvious interest.  LOW KEY town centre event, be prepared to be amazed in 2013 We did not ask RW to remove forum threads, they removed the nasty personal ones. You obviously like to cause trouble (what is your real name, Garstang from garstang, come on, be real, stop being a saddo. Yes people do have long memories, 99% accept changes in the spirit of sport and a continued learning curve. As a UKA race adjudicator/referee I have attendeds several events in Lancashire this year, many fall well below the standards laid down by UKA.

You can keep this thread going, I certainly will not. Have the guts to email me with your problems/moans etc, I will glady answer them constructively. If you are a local jogger/fun runner, like the off road/fell/trail races, stick to them.

Regards    Ron

• Options

Wow, I'd like to keep this thread going, I always pop in and see whats going on. Still undecided about going for it. Running has been non existant at the moment so that needs rectifying. Is there anyone on here going for sub 5 30?

• Options

Hi again.  Starting serious training next Monday since Chester marathon.  Work and feeling shattered since then has got in the way but now up for it.  Got 3hrs 4 mins at Chester so hoping to go sub 3 if the training goes alright.  To kep me focused I've got the Liversedge half marathon lined up in Feb and I may even treat myself to a new jacket. 

On the Garmin 610 topic, I've had mine since they first came out and have been having issues with green corrosion at the back and getting the thing to charge up (due ot the connector not  staying in contact).  I also find that the HRM rubs and leaves a mark on my longer runs.  Other than that the watch itself is great.

Happy training (especially if the newspapers are right about the cold snap on the way!)

• Options

Hi Guys - I'll be doing Manchester again next year. Even after this years teething probs and lousy conditions, I still Pb'd by 6.5mins so maybe I've got rose tinted glasses onimage. But flatter and and no Dunham Messy will be good.

Re the Garmin 'soft' HR strap. The only niggle I have is you have to loosen it to get it over your head, then re adjust it again to wear it everytime. Other makes have a clip, which you undo, so you don't have to keep adjusting the size of the strap.

Re Blackpool mara, I did it in '09 and '10 before the tram track updates, and at least it was pan flat. Ok support was a bit sparse in places, but getting some abuse from drunken hen/stag parties just added to occasionimage. I would cetainly do it again if they've made updates, just like manchester.

• Options

I said in a earlier post that the closing date for this is the 7th January as stated on the race website. Having looked at the FAQ`s it states on there that its the 31st of January  which one make up your minds ? i know personally the later one would be best  as everyone is skint at xmas..

• Options

I saw the original site and they did say the 7th. Thanks for the heads up . .I still think the 31st is quite an early cut off point. I wonder how many will go for it over the New Year! I am now thinking of doing this 2014 as running is sparodic. We shall see. x

• Options
    EP - You've still got plenty of time to get your training up to speed for 2013. a 16wk plan would start on 6Jan. Obviously if your injured that's a different story. I'm aiming for sub 3:30 as plan A, and 3:39 as plan B. And anything under 3:52 as plan C, which will still be a Pb. Have you done any marathons previously?
  • Options

Thanks - No Simon, I have done  a few halfs, Stopped running then did a half a month ago and lost it a ltttle bit. So am going to take it week by week to see if I can get some base training in. A sub 3.30 sounds like a fabulous aim . . a sub 4 is fantastic too. Is this your first?

• Options
    EP - No it will be my 5th, but only started 3 years ago in my late 40's. After a 4:26 in my 1st, managed a magic 3:59:06 in my 2nd. Then this year at Manchester 3:52:14. But picked up a PF heel injury during winter training, so now run in minamilist shoes. It will be my first in these shoes, so bit of an unknown. What sort of times have you done for your HM's?
  • Options

Had a bit of a nightmare at Luton Marathon yesterday- It is a 3 lap race and is hilly but that is no excuse. was fine through 18 miles and on 3:55 pace then legs just went into a 'vegetative state' and decided that they would not work the way they should - it was not cramp it was just massive aching pain. Anyway that was end of decent time and finished in 4:18 (worst for 4 years). Weird thing is that 1/2 hour after race legs were feeling great no aches and even today I have no aches - it is almost as though I imagined the race and didn't run.

• Options
    You can get ??5 off the entry fee by entering the code ACTIVEGMM.

It's a fiver better off in your pocket.
  • Options
    BP - Do you think it may of been the hills. Did you do any hill work in your training?
  • Options

Simon - brill times, looking forward to hearing about training in minamilist shoes. I think thats really braveimage No injury just not getting out and running . .the mojo can disappear so quickly. But always good to read how others are doing. Have you been running long with these shoes?

BP - sorry to hear you were disappointed. Still a great time and Luton must have been mentally hard having to do three laps. Phew. Is Manchester your next marathon?

Gram - always good to have a fiver off  Cheers

• Options

simon62w: Re. HR monitor strap, if you look carefully at the flat metal piece where the belt loops round so you can tighten/loosen it, you'll find it's a hook not a complete ring (took me several weeks to discover that, and like you, I was loosening and tightening and getting irritated every time I put the thing on!

Minimalist shoes should be fine so long as you've built up gradually and your calves are happy with the distance - I ran NDW50 in mine in the summer (okay, that was mostly trail), and I ran a 26.5+ mile road-based training run in them yesterday.

Bearstead: sympathies. Maybe hydration/electrolytes/nutrition went wrong?

• Options
    Simon - yes deliberately did hills in schedule (normally don't do much if flat race do hills in winter).

Debra - hydration etc was same as normal and served me well in past - however it may be it needed changing for a hillier race

Envious - yes Manchester is next. 5 weeks away from running now just going to cross train and core. My legs need non impact as had 44 weeks of running in last 46 - time for a decent rest. Back to running week between Christmas and New Year
  • Options

BP - a rest sounds good, especially after all the training you have been doing. 

I have done a few halfs but very slowly, 2 35 is a pb

• Options
    Gram - Thanks for the tip.

Debra - Funnily enough, after I sent my last post I went and checked the strap again, and sure enough, just as you say, it can be unclipped, Doh!

So do you use your minamilist shoes all the time now, and which ones are they?

EP - Started with some cheap aquashoes in Jun just to see if it was something I could do. Then bought some proper ones, Vivobarefoot Ultra's, very light. Slowly buillt length of runs up from 2-3miles and now upto 10miles on the road. Calfs and Achilles take the biggest hit at first, as with no heel elevation, they get stretched further. My one concern is whether doing my first mara in them and trying to Pb, maybe a bit optimistic.
  • Options

Simon - It's kind of nice knowing I'm not the only one who took a while to work it out! Yes, I'm finally using only minimalist shoes; took about a year to convert because I was also increasing mileage (going ultra) and my mileage increase was more rapid than my milimalist mileage increase. I'm using VivoBarefoot Neos, and the Neo Trail for off-road. Last time I wore anything other than minimalist was early July for a road 30-miler, but they messed up my little toes (tingling for about two weeks afterwards - not pleasant) so I bit the bullet and went over to my nce, wide-in-the-toebox Neos for everything.

I'm about to get a pair of Inov8 Trailroc 235s ready for the Lakeland 50 - just a bit more underfoot protection/cushioning than the Neo Trail, and the pair I tried out on the night recce run a week ago felt very secure on the rocks.

• Options
    Debra - I looked at the Neo's and also the Evo's, and will probably get a pair for the winter, as my Ultra's aren't very pratical. With all the holes in them. I've never done any fell running, but plenty of hiking up in the Lakes. That Lakeland 50 should be awesome.

Since you've switched to your minamilist shoes, have you been able to maintain your speed or infact, have you got faster?
  • Options
    ashman wrote (see)

I said in a earlier post that the closing date for this is the 7th January as stated on the race website. Having looked at the FAQ`s it states on there that its the 31st of January  which one make up your minds ? i know personally the later one would be best  as everyone is skint at xmas..

I'm still in 2 minds about this one and was looking to making a decision in January and start a 16 week build up to my first marathon from there and in the meantime keep ticking over until after Christmas regardless. WIll probably go with one of the "get you round" plans with it being my first but I'd hope for something between 4 and 4:30

On looking at the entry section of the website it is quoting 28th February 2013 or when race is full as the entry date, not sure whether this has been pushed back again or whether they are not getting the entries they hoped for and are hoping for a surge post-Christmas/New Year resolutions

• Options

rockinrocky_robin

Thats a lot better mate not sure what has gone on, like you said they might not  have had enough entries as it's a bad time money wise at christmas. image

• Options
    Robin - I entered last night, using the vchr code from Gram and also noticed it mentioned end of Feb also. It's a shame that after you get the discount they then add on 5%.

Btw a 16wk plan would start 6Jan, good luck.
  • Options
    simon62w wrote (see)
    Btw a 16wk plan would start 6Jan, good luck.

Yep, I'm doing around 30 miles per week at the moment so hopefully can use that as a pretty good base to start in the first week of the new year

I didn't see that I'd gain much advantage from ramping it up this side of Christmas although the basic plan that I'm following goes up to around 42 miles per week at it's peak (the week of the 20 mile run), so I guess it's a bit lower than some plans

I think the aim is to get round this time, in a reasonable time and then look into aiming for a better time in the next one, ironing out any areas that went badly or where the training could have been different

I'm doing the Wilmslow Half as part of the build up too

• Options

Simon, hard to say regarding speed. Not any slower - I took 3 mins off my HM PB in the spring, wearing Neos on an undulating course. I've been concentrating on distance, obviously, for the ultras, but I also equalled my parkrun PB in the summer, having not been doing any speedwork, just lots of miles.

Neo vs Evo: some people find the Evo upper rubs if wearing without socks, and it's a tad narrower than the Neo.

• Options
    Debra - Thanks for the tip. I tend to run sans socks now, so will def look at the Neo's, and/or trail neo's. Initially I was slower as I was trying to get used to the feel and the increased cadence, but now can run at the same speed, but more importantly with no pain.
  • Options
    Just booked a Travel lodge for the night before for ??20! Well happy with that!

I'm up to about 30 miles per week now & ran 9 miles on Saturday in 76 mins, so hoping to add an extra few miles to that and do it 3 times a week and a long run at the weekend! I couldn't go today as the weather is really bad and I take my little girl with me in a baby jogger during the week! I'm doing a 10k in Leeds on Sunday and hoping for a sub 50... Can I do it?! X
  • Options
    The numbers are growing. Another great race will follow
  • Options

Good luck with the PB Scottys. I've got my last race of the year on Sunday, a 10K in Wrexham. Just need this manflu to bugger off in time and hopefully a PB will be on the cards.