Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Perhaps this has already been posted, but for those who might not have seen it, here's the 2013 route...

http://www.mapmytri.com/routes/view/111929753

Could maybe use this to marshall your supporters around the route.

Looks like it's a slight uphill final 2km, but the gain is only about 2 or 3 metres, so not too punishing.

• My training is rubbish as well, got a half this weekend that I haven't trained for and still have a low level chest infection.... Work keeps getting in the way of me doing proper training....image

• samoffsamoff ✭✭✭

Went out for an hour in the snow last night. I'm not sure if the value of this is enough to balance the risk of injury, but it makes me feel like a hard-core runner, which has to be worthwhile.image

I'm hoping the York Brass Monkey HM isn't called off this weekend as I've used tapering for it as an excuse for under-training all week.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Clif Shots to find out if they're at all palatable. I find their chewy bars very hard work when I'm out cycling. 

• i've just bought some "clif shot bloks". one pack contains 6 "bloks". the recommended "dosage" on the packet is between 3 and 6 bloks per hour of exercise, but i think that might be a bit on the high side for me, so i'm going to experiment on this weekend's 15mi run.

the whole packet (6 bloks) contains 48g carbs, 0.14g sodium and 1/2 shot caffeine (no specific mg measurment for that). Seems a bit low on sodium for the price of £2.25 a packet. Much cheaper to make up your own drink solution, with some dioraltye and orange cordial, and sip that along with water provided on the course, but i'll try these out anyway, see how they fare.

• The shot blocks get into your system and work quicker than drinks do.

• samoff wrote (see)

Went out for an hour in the snow last night. I'm not sure if the value of this is enough to balance the risk of injury, but it makes me feel like a hard-core runner, which has to be worthwhile.image

I'm hoping the York Brass Monkey HM isn't called off this weekend as I've used tapering for it as an excuse for under-training all week.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Clif Shots to find out if they're at all palatable. I find their chewy bars very hard work when I'm out cycling. 

Likewise, going out in the snow in shorts is my claim to be hard core (that and the fact that my son said I looked like Max Wall with my running tights on)

I was recommended the SIS GO Energy Sachets as they require less water but I've been experimenting with the kids sweets on my longer runs with no negative effects

I want to use something I can carry myself, so I know if works and also that I'm not having to hope that the refuelling stations still have stuff left when I get there!

• rockinrocky_robin wrote (see)
    my son said I looked like Max Wall with my running tights on)

blimey, how old are you if you have a son who knows who Max Wall is?

• samoffsamoff ✭✭✭

"blimey, how old are you if you have a son who knows who Max Wall is?"

(it's what we're all thinking)

• samoffsamoff ✭✭✭

I use SIS Go sachets and like them. I can't deal with anything that needs chewing - I've tried jelly babies and some little cola flavoured jellies but I can't do them at all.

If the Clif shots are good, though, it would be nice ti have the option of not carrying gels. It'd be a big decision, though. I think I might find it quite stressful knowing I might run out of fuel if the station let me down.

• Agent Ginger, I found all apart from the first fuel station had run out before I got there. I would always take my own now and any handed out would be a bonus.The water pouches were a little tricky to open and I often split the water but hardly noticed for all the rain! I carry dextrose tablets.

• Hi,

I'm entered with a friend for the Manchester Marathon this year. I was entered for the Brighton marathon in 2011 and then got a stress fracture when I was on my taper 3 weeks before the race so had to pull out image I had 10 weeks of no running which was torture! Gutting after months of training and hard work and I'd completed 22 miles with no problems.

I'd convinced myself that I didn't want to do a marathon afterall and stuck to my usual Half Marathons and 10Ks meets but it's always been at the back of my mind to complete a marathon. Training's going great again so I've got everything crossed that I don't get injured again - negative thoughts go away!

Just wondered if anyone has any advice on the best place to stay also bearing in mind that the my young family will be there to spectate. Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks
  • Nothern Lass - the start and finish are beside Old Trafford (Man Utd football ground) there are quite a few hotels in that and the Salford Quays area that are within an easy stroll of there. I would look for hotels close to the Man Utd football grounf postcode

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    Trainings going ok, despite the snow. Think we've got it good hear in Colchester compared to the rest of the country.
  • Everywhere near to the stadium is booked up already! And I thought I was being well-prepared with the old accommodation!
  • Northern Lass - your other alternative is to find a hotel out Sale way - that's where I stayed last year and race comes right by there and spectators can get to start and other points via Metro - only 15 mins on Metro to start and in other direction Altrincham.
  • I stayed in Sale last year. As long as you are somewhere near the Metro line then you'll be fine.

• I am staying in same place this year it is 5 mins walk from Brooklands station
  • I had a great B&B last year. They even let me have a shower after I got back there to pick my bag up looking like a drowned rat at 2 o'clock. 

• Gaz - yeah mine was a B&B but a really nice one
  • So smug I live near this one! I normally travel MILES to marathons!!

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Staying with family in Stockport.

• i'm dossing on a mate's couch in Didsbury the night before, and the night after (so i can enjoy a pint or two without having to rush back down for work the next day).

• samoff wrote (see)

"blimey, how old are you if you have a son who knows who Max Wall is?"

(it's what we're all thinking)

Started his comedy education at a young age and I do like the old school comedians, M&W, Les Dawson, Tommy Cooper so he has been exposed to the old stuff. My other half would argue that I'm 41 going on 71

I digress....

Was it true the Metrolink was free to runners last year?

Training still a little slow and I seem to be doing alot or runs via Brooklands Road at present which forms a large part of the pre/post Altrincham section of the run, a very straight flat stretch that doesn't seem to drain that well

• Rockin - yep was free for runners used it myself from Brooklands into start and back after.

• Are you the same cybarev that ran the Liverpool marathon in 2011?  I remember seeing you in Sefton Park - or at least I saw your back disappearing into the distance as I hobbled around with an injury!  Surely can't be two with the same name!

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Hi Auntie Ninja, indeed I am the same cybarev who did Liverpool in 2011. That was my first one and I did Liverpool in 2012 in an even slower time so Manchester will be my third and probably final one. Hope you've recovered from your injury. What happened?

• If anyone knows of people still looking for places in the marathon, the Children's Society still has guranteed spots! Min fundraising in £350, and we've got a host of extras included. Please spread the word to anyone in need!

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Anyone know what take up is like this year, numbers wise? Did it sell out last year?

• Bearsted Plodder wrote (see)

Rockin - yep was free for runners used it myself from Brooklands into start and back after.

Excellent, saves worrying about parking as the family will probably get a day ticket and use the Metrolink to visit various vantage points during the race, either that or walk to watch the stretch through Timperley and Altrincham and then hop on the tram to catch the end of the race

cybarev wrote (see)

Anyone know what take up is like this year, numbers wise? Did it sell out last year?

Not sure about this year but the results from 2012 would suggest around 4700 actually started the race, not sure how many finished given disqualifications, withdrawals and people still running when the finish line was closed (6 hours?)

I read somewhere that the number of places for a race assumes a drop out rate of around 20% based on people being injured, ill, not being able to make it or not having trained