Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    I'm parking at MUFC, car parks open 6am, race village 7am but not sure i want to get there that early or when any road restrictions come into force?
  • Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

I'm also parking at MUFC but surely you can drive and park there up until about 8am - maybe I'll message the race organisers.

I'm staying at a Premier Inn at the Trafford Centre - chose it mainly cos it has parking and will then drive to the race.

5 mile run with running club last night and I felt the benefit of all the training as I passed 3 blokes in the final mile along the seafront and it felt good (whilst imagining it was the final mile of the marathon, ha ha!!)

• Options

What's going on with my bloody pc?!

I know, it's not cheap, but then again, what you pay in entry fee you would easy spend that and more on a night out wouldn't you?  For the same bargain fee you get to half kill yourself for 26 miles and be in pain for about a week laterimage

You have to spend your money on something and I know plenty less healthy things most people (previously me) would spend the money on.  it's just the eating up of weekend time that does my head in, but then again, it beats being sat on my arse watching Saturday kitchen then football focus or whatever it is!!

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Oh god, my number's just come ... with my name on it!!!  I'm in start area C - what does this mean, slow???  ha ha...

• Options

Morning everyone...not sure why that post popped up, yet again!  Stupid PC

Hi Caz..I thought I recognized you from the Edinburgh thread a few years back...I don't think there is any danger of that kind of heat, the way we are going lol!

I agree with the increased mileage making even short distances harder.  I have found this every single time, and I suppose it's to be expected....and I am feeling it this time too.

Well...here is some news for you...I can reveal now....I am pregnant again! I am just over 14 weeks gone...so I will be having another little one in Septemeber (2 babies in 10 months..yikes!). As soon as I realised I was pregnant (which was two days after entering this) I went to the doctors and asked his opinion on me running it....to cut a long story short, he said it should be fine as long as I was "sensible" and didn't exhaust myself.  Hence, I have been taking it really easy in training, and intend to do so on the day, walking at points if I need to.  Hopefully it will be ok on the day, though any danger and I would obviously drop out, if I had to.

Beautiful day here today.....though cold.  I am doing 10 miles tonight...should get most of it done in the day light...!

Panda

• Options

Great news RP - I found it a bit easier the next time around (babies that is not marathons!)

Mixed emotions this morning, 20 mile run yesterday but it was TOUGH, my LSR have never really felt like they've got an easier and heading up to getting on the canal near Old Trafford I could quite easily have hopped on the tram instead rather than plodding down the canal towpath for the final 5 miles or so. That said I think Mrs RR was quite shocked at how quickly I went from returned runner to, "what are we doing now", the training is certainly showing in terms of recovering from a run. The other positive is sitting here now writing about running that sort of distance something I would have laughed at even 6 months ago

The Cresta Court hotel in Alty are doing a special rate for runners and it's walkable for the tram or buses up to OT but I think it's probably a little more upmarket that you'd need, there are plenty of Premier Inns in the area within easy travel of the race

With regard to road closures, the signs went up a week or so before last year. Chester Road and the approach to Old Trafford is a fairly major road in terms of the route from South Manchester into the city so any closure would be short term or require significant diversions to maintain traffic flow. The football ground itself is approachable from the Trafford Park side as a number of the major roads around the ground are shut on a match day (e.g. Sir Matt Busby Way)

• Options

Hi RR...Thank you!  The current baby is a little gem, however, I panic the next one will be a nightmare!  Oh well....at least all the hard work will be over in one go.

Don't go panicking about the LSR.  I know exactly how you feel.  I used to get really demoralised on other marathon threads when people used to put "Did my 5th 20 miler this morning, and it felt really easy, and I did it loads faster than last time"....and there was me, thinking.,..."it was no easier, harder if anything, and slower too!"

It is normal though....certainly for me.  Everyone is different, but like you say, the fact that you are recovering so quickly is a great thing, and it's funny how it all comes together on race day.  THe marathon won't be easy, but I bet you think "it's not as bad as I thought"...these hard runs now are all part of the "plan" to prepare youu physically and mentally for the day itself.

Panda

• Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

RP - Congratulations. Amazing that the two of you are going to run a marathon!

I still havent bought any parking tickets yet, still trying ot decide what to do. May Park in Altrtincham and get the tram in or may just go to Old Trafford and park up there. Decisions, decisions!

Number not arrived yet. Working at home today so will jump up as soon as Mr Postie arrives (have to be careful not to pull a muscle in my excitement to get to the door!).

7 miler for me this evening.

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Congrats RedPanda - lovely to have them so close together and best of luck with the marathon - can't even imagine but I guess you are an experienced marathon runner.  I agree with RockinRobin, it was easier the 2nd time around, well I was more chilled anyway, unlike the first time when I stressed about everything!  Wonder if it'd be the same with running a marathon, ha ha.  Anyway, nice news for the day, even if I don't know you. x

• Options

hi

Ah, thanks everyone.  Like I say, I am going to take it very easy, as I don't want to risk anything.  I was amazed that the doctor gave me the all clear, but he was a runner too and said "it's not an illness"....just be sensible...which I was chuffed to bits about.  Even though I am not very far gone (14 weeks and 2 days) I am sure my tummy is a bit bigger, which is depressing.  As long as it doesn't get "too much" bigger in the next few weeksimage!

No number for me as of yet......It always seems so much more real when you actually get that number.

Good news that the weather is due to pick up at the weekend.  I am losing the will to leave running in this icy wind.  I went up to Durham to see my folks at the weekend, and over the top of the M62 and towards Leeds, there was still plenty of snow about! Not right!

panda

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Agent Ginger and well done you on pretty much sticking to the plan on the P+D. I've done most of it, barr the recovery runs which I've substituted for X-Trainer, easy gym biking or short fell walks. Hopefully I've not missed out on too much by not doing the recovery sessions as actual runs.

My training has been more intense and a higher mileage than last year but surprisingly I've recovered far quicker than I did last year. In fact, I've experienced very little muscle soreness or residual fatigue.....until now (now that I've come back from a short holiday). Now I am overwhelmingly tired and heavy legged! Fingers crossed it's just a glitch and the taper period will give me a bit of energy. Losing confidence though image

PS - congratulations Panda image

• Options

Thanks Shazmo.

Where did you go on holiday?  Hope it was somewhere hot!  Perhaps your body is just readjusting to training again after a few days off.  It can take a while to sometimes get back into it, but it's not as though you have had lots of time off so you should be fine.

Panda

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
  • Options

Congratulations on the new panda cub!  Like Sallymax I found it much easier second time round - that was the birth, for the last 19 years daughter #2 has been hard work though....  No seriously, it's fantastic news and I'll be frantically scanning the crowds on the big day for someone running carefully with a big smile on their face!

Sally - was it you that asked if a scenic HM took your mind off the hills?  I'd say yes - I did Conwy last year, and after the 3.5 mile climb up the Great Orme found the time, energy and focus to admire the views on the way down!  Mind you, training round Stockport gives you an inbuilt hill-gear so you don't notice them so much...

No number yet - do you think I forgot to enter after all and have being slogging through all this training for nothing?

• Options

Fantastic news for you RP, hearty congratulations image

• Options

Thanks everyoneimage.....I was most nervous about telling work, as I am on maternity leave already...oops!  They were ok though, and I am tagging the next maternity onto this one, so I am not looking at going back until August 2014...happy days!

Ha ha Auntie N....my mother always used to say to me (in my teenage years) "You are more trouble to me now, than when you were a baby!".....all this to look forward to!  I don't know about a smile, but I will be being careful and probably stopping for a wee every 5 minutes (my biggest concern is now the toilets!!).

All these hills......the more we run, the easier Manchester will seem!

Panda

• Options
    Congrats Red Panda!

Baby number 2 is easier still. Don't worry!
  • Options

RP - Congratulations!! imagefantastic news. i love good news  Look after yourself!

i found it so hard I didn't have another, the white flag went up - it's easier doing marathons!

RR - it IS tough, otherwise everyone would be doing one. You'll be fine on the day I promise.

i haven't got my number yet but I've got my car park number: N2

Are there such things as day rovers for the trams so my Dad etc can move around?

• Options

Hello everyone!

Hope you're all ok? Congratulations to Redpanda on your good news!

First marathon for me and I think I'm similar to rockinrocky_robin. The LSR's are killing me but I seem to be recovering much quicker than I used to. The furthest I've done so far is 18miles but I'll be doing 20 this weekend. My routes all seem to be really hilly though so I'm taking some comfort in that. I think even my short 5 mile run has more gain than the entire marathon!

Not aiming for any particular time, just want to get round, although the closer to 4hours I am, the happier I will be!

And for a final bit of inspriation I'm going to read "Born to run" again by Christopher McDougall. Really recommend it if you haven't read it already.

Good luck everyone and see you at the start line!

• Options

Caballo...or can I call you horse?image  ALL my LSRs have been on hills.  Up down, up down, up down.  320m of gain in total which probably isn't all that epic but it really takes its toll on those long runs.  I still "feel it" 15/16 miles in although it is getting easier now after a fair few of them but I know it's the damned hills more than it is the cumulative miles.

I think it's probably great prep as the pancake that we'll be running on will seem so much easier in comparison......I hope!

• Options

It will!!

I hate hills with a passion, but they defo make you a better runner.  A couple of years back I had to move to Prestwich area and it was very hilly...my LSR were torture...all the way to Bury/Radcliffe...up and down Heaton Park...but, I don't think it was a coincidence that whilst living there I smashed my 10k and marathon PB's.  I didn't do any more running than normal, and no races (other than the ones I PB'd in), and no speedwork, so it must have been the hills.

Is that Born to Run book about the tribe that run?  If so, I have it in a drawer upstairs somewhere..it belongs to my partner who has read it, but I haven't got round to reading it yet. Maybe I should!

I went out for a meal instead of running..will go in  the morning instead...can you tell how commited I am!!image

Panda

• Options

RP, I live in Bury so as you know, you can't avoid them around here!  My usual LSR takes me down towards Ramsbottom, through Hawshaw and up to Harwood and back.  Like running on a ruffled quilt!

I downloaded "Born to Run" and listened to it on my LSRs.  Great yarn, very interesting, slightly dubious about all the story being recalled exactly how it happened.  Got me through 3 long runs though image

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Panda - no, unfortunately my holiday was nowhere hot....went to London and did lots of touristy stuff with husband and teenage daughters. Maybe it was all the time on my feet that made me lose my oomph.

Anyway, the good news is I did my regular Wednesday night 10 miler and I felt ok, not completely knackered like I have done this last week.

I live in hill territory too (Isle of Man) so sometimes struggle to find a decent 'flattish' route to do a LSR on. I agree that regular running on hilly terrain makes you stronger and the flat of Manchester will be a welcome change.
  • Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    My lsr of 21.5 miles is very hilly and the last few miles are up hill image

Always a struggle and sometimes I've walked the last mile as there is a shop at the 20.2 point! Nice banana milkshake from there last week.

According to walkjogrun the range is 118.4 ft to 1291.7 ft. The first 3 miles are downhill, then an incline up to mile 7 with some straights and downs before another big incline. From 10 its down then flat from 11 to 17 miles, then uphill to the plateau I live on in South Leeds.
  • Options

Congratulations RP on the next little bundle of joy. Coincidentally I also visited my folks in Durham over Easter - we went up via Kirkby Stephen and the A66 - loads of snow up there.

SB - My training routes also include loads of hills which I also think help come marathon day. At the Preston Guild Marathon last October there a few gripes about the "hills" but in my book it almost pancake flat. According to map my run my hilly 20 milers mention about 700 m of climb I think - but I'm not sure if thats up and down or just up (or just down ?) !

No sign of a number for me yet.

• Options

SB - I don't envy you, I live in Timperley so most of my training has been on the pancake routes although the canal is really good at this time of year and away from the traffic etc. My sister-in-law lives in Rammy and my father in law lives in Whitewell Bottom so I know the area and wouldn't fancy it for a regular run (I now have Born to Run by Springsteen going around my head for some bizarre reason)

marathon molly wrote (see)

RP - Congratulations!! imagefantastic news. i love good news  Look after yourself!

i found it so hard I didn't have another, the white flag went up - it's easier doing marathons!

RR - it IS tough, otherwise everyone would be doing one. You'll be fine on the day I promise.

i haven't got my number yet but I've got my car park number: N2

Are there such things as day rovers for the trams so my Dad etc can move around?

Cheers Molly, I'm pretty sure you can get an all day tram ticket that allows travel between as many stops as required (although the Metrolink website isn't very helpful). You can certainly get an all day family ticketm which we use quite regularly. Usually a return ticket means that the outward journey has to be made within 90 minutes and the return must be made on the date of purchase

Haven't had my number or race info as yet and wondered whether anything was present about Metrolink or free travel to athletes on the day

• Options

PM - Nah, i'm not entirely sure either but I think that will be the total of your climbed metres.  If so then....ouch!  That's nearly twice as hilly as mine.  Here's me:

http://s11.postimg.org/oaeup2m03/Screen_Hunter_01_Apr_04_11_49.jpg

The hard bit is the 80 odd metres in 2 miles, 14 miles in.  Funny, it doesn't sound that much but it really can drain me, certainly on the earlier LSRs.

RR - You do get used to it mate, it's all I know.  Funnily enough, when I was listening to the BTR audio book, that song would regularly pop into my headimage

• Options

Tiny request - if you are doing Manchester on the 28th April would you please consider participating in my study which you can find on the Spring marathon thread as MSc Research Project requires marathon runners - no electrodes!

It's about using a positively focused self-talk technique to increase your resilience and positive affect (that's the strong positive moods that you can control).

It is straightforward and might just provide an additional tool to conquer the mental aspects of tackling  a marathon.

Cheers.

• Options

Hi everyone

baby is screaming so will be quick!  Funny enough my partner lived in Ramsbottom (near Edenfield) and it's almost mountainous there.....when I moan aboutn hills he say's "thats not a hill" and then when I went I understood what he meant!

My LSR in Prestwich went down Bury new (or old, I can't remember) past the Metro fish shop all the way to nearly the footie ground, left and drop down to Radcliffe then a looonnnng climb back up to Heaton Park and a few laps there....it seems easy now....well, easier!

10 miles for me this morning.....it was fine, though I had to stop for a wee twice...great eh?!  The wind was really strong though, made certain parts of it really hard.

Right...bottle time, back later

Panda

• Options

I live in Whitefield and that is almost exactly the route for my LSR, Redpanda!

On sunday, instead of going into Heaton park, I'm going down Sheepfoot lane, up Victoria ave in Blackley and then back to Whitefield through Cheetham hill.

Works out exactly 20mile and is a lot less hilly than my other route which is to Ramsbottom and back.