Options

Loch Ness Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Do you know roughly when it fills up?? How long have I got to decide? It's a long way for me to travel, & I want to arrange to do something else up there too.....but won't know for a while if this is possible.....So didn't want to enter this just yet!

• Options

PJ closing date for entries for this years event was July.

It was my first marathon and although i didnt get the time i was hoping for i can thoroughly reccomend it,and plan on doing it again next year

• Options

image  Think it will fill up before Feb?????

I do fancy it......But with Ladybower 50 the Sunday before, & a mad kayak trip to try & fit in inbetween, it's looking a bit crazy.... image

• Options

Have now entered, do I drive up from south Wales or fly!

• Options

It looks like I put my entries in in feb in previous years, and had no bother- the thing that fills up first is the accomodation, I think.

As far as doing a race 3 weeks later- how long is great brimingham run? if it's a 10 miler, you might be OK, anything much longer might be a struggle. It varies, and I've improved as I've done more marathons, but I do find it hard to run far for a couple of weeks- but saying that. I did a 33mile race 5 weeks after LN last year! You need to decide which one is you "A" race, and which one is the less vital, and plan to jog round the less vital one as a trainig/ recovery race- it will be fine- what you can't do is aim to push yourself to the limit both times.

• Options

Can any of you help?  I have sore knees, do I rest or push through?

Im doing a 5k on Sunday and really want to take part.  Also how do you manage running in the snow?

Thanks

• Options

BM - check that your shoes are ok. Sometimes if they are starting to wear out, that can have an effect on your knees.

• Options

New trainers, think its been my fitness DVD's image  Loads of squats and its taking its toll on my knees!

• Options

Accomodation will never be a problem....Kip in car or wild camp! image

• Options

I've managed to book into Wetherspoons image

• Options

I've entered and booked accom- unfortunately best western, who let us use the showers/pool after the runlast year, are now not letting you book for a single night. and I need to be back at work on monday, so I've gone over to Glenmoriston- still easy walking distance.

Right- better go fora run now!

• Options

Seriously considering this for my 2013 marathon.  Looks nice, flat, picturesque course.  How long are people intending to stay up there and how are they getting there?  Trying to decide whether to fly/train it, whether to go up Fri or Sat and whether to head back Sun or Mon.  Anyone know when rail tickets will be available?  I assume flight prices will go up as we get nearer and trainline only seems to offer tickets up to March at the moment.

• Options

runlozrun-It's not flatimage...............but otherwise yes, go for it. Definately stay up sunday night if you have far to travel. You may even be able to meet up with others from the forum for a beer ( wish I could- but have to go back to work).

Main thing to do early is book accom.

• Options

I've entered again after doing it this year, it was my 3rd marathon but the 1st one I've actually enjoyed - Edinburgh 2003 and Dublin 2004 were the others - took me 8 years to get back to doing another!

I got lots of inspiration from the 2012 event thread while lurking in the background so hopefully can contribute more to the discussion this time round.

• Options
    I'm ashamed to say I haven't run for a few weeks, I never done the Santa dash as I had a cold. I'm starting from scratch tomorrow. Got a journal for Xmas so going to start logging.
  • Options
    I've signed up too, I will be popping my marathon cherry at Loch Ness, now the hard work begins image
  • Options

Thanks Tricia.  Well I'm in.  Flying up Sat and flying back on Mon and have a hotel provisionally booked.  Looking forward to it.  Just hoping the training goes well and I can get under 3:30 this year.

• Options

I'll be back for LN this year. Last year was my first marathon, and it was horrible. So I have unfinished business with Nessieimage

Accomodation booked alreadyimage

• Options
    I did this last year on the train for ??50 this yr I got sat/sun in travelodge for ??54 which is a mile from start, there wasn't a lot of choice to eat in Inverness I ended up with an Indian
  • Options
    Hi Stuart Martin

Can I ask how it was so horrible, if u don't mind?
  • Options

I got injured just before half way. Don't think I managed to run more than a couple of consecutive minutes in the 2nd half of the race. 

I'll be looking to PB by at least an hour this year.

• Options

Got my accomodation booked now need to get a training plan in order.  I hang my head in shame when I say I havn't been out much. Exercising indoors but the weather has put me off with my runs - need to sort it out! And the weight loss is grim.

Hows everyone doing?

• Options

all sorted flight / accomodation / entry, just miles and miles and miles of training to go.

• Options

I'm all set.  Ran Watford half yesterday so not in too bad shape but will ramp the miles up come summer.  Really looking forward to it.

• Options

Got myself a plan on Asics, Im only running 3 times a week roughly over a mile, its a start.  I know Im never going to have a quick time but would like to say at the end of the year Im a runner who jogged (crawled!) a marathon with a PB to compete with!

• Options

Keep working at it big mama- you want to be comfortably getting at least one 10 miler per week in by the time a formal marathon plan starts about 16 weeks out from the race- (ie early june) until then , just build your endurance over slow distance- don't worry about speed, it will gradually improve, and you aren't going to be sprinting the marathon anyway!

• Options

Checked on the LN site and can't find a list of people who have entered!

Is there one?

• Options

I'm in! I ran my first half (Run to the Beat) in October last year and told myself I'd go the whole hog this year. Sadly I lost my uncle three weeks ago which gave me the impetus to sign up tonight and raise some money in his memory. Looking forward to it!

• Options

Thought I'd resurrect this thread image

Newbie to running and have signed up for this (it appears to have a net decline lol). My first Marathon and did a couple of 5k's 3 years ago but gave up (28:42 then 30:32 so got slower!).

I've found an 18 week plan that I'm going to 'tweak' to favour hills (both up and down) and starting it 3 weeks early to allow for injury/sickness. Am trying to base build at the moment but 'Man Flu' had me off for 2 weeks so starting again but have managed a slow 7.5 miles without a walk break. I have also just started minimilist running though doubt I'll be able to show up on the starting line in my Vibram FF'simage

Can any of the 'regulars' offer any tips? I've read there are 3 'main' hills to contend with and as I can't find a local route that can be called flat am hoping all my runs will prepare me. For example, yesterday was 3.5 trail miles with a 1200ft incline (think that's the LN total incline?) and today was 5 miles with an 800ft incline.

Target time is a finger in the wind 5 hours and wondering if anybody here is looking for a similar time? Also, if anybody is looking to raise a few bob for a Charity then I may be able to help outimage  (I won't spam and post the link but it's HG Brain Tumour related) 

Big Mama et al, looking forward to hearing about your training.

• Options

Strange have posted a few comments on this site and they have all disappeared!!