Options

Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Evening all. Managed 5k in 24.37 today, so this is not definitely out of the question...moving in the right direction, just slowlyimage

• Options

Good news Jason

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

aahhgg! major wibble/wobble today! calf hurts, foot hurts, head hurts ,sore throat, can't breathe... Oh hang on...its ok, I'm tapering!!!image image

• Options
    pinkbugpinkbug ✭✭✭

,+1 with all the above jenf, but someone entered me in Abingdon marathon tomorrowimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

5m slow this evening......okish

I think that I will get out for an easy MLR tomorrow and decide whether I am in or out after thatimage

• Options

Weather forecast, scattered showers 40% chance of rain and 15 mph wind, 13 degrees.  Sounds perfect.  Bound to get worse forecasts as we get nearer the day image

• Options

Hopefully no worse than it has been today here (Orkney)!
    Above sounds quite good image

Here's hoping Jason ...image

• Options

Hi team,Brer reporting from Abingdon.It's not thundering yet! Great to hear from you Jd..really hope you can make it next week!

• Options

Go smash it tomorrow BR image  Hope you have a great race image

And also good luck to all those running Abo or York image

• Options

Just woke up from a nap (I'm old) to hail hitting the window. Thought I was dreaming of SNOD. Tried to get outside to run but it didn't last. Hope to see many of you next weekend. I'll be getting to Llanberis Tuesday by the Dublin ferry.Where do people eat Friday evening?

Good luck with taperingimage, racingimage, and healingimage.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Another mortal blow yesterday.  On way to work yesterday (Fri) evening car suddenly ground to a halt and wouldn't re-start.  Broken cambelt image, which means that's not the only thing that will be broken.  May be not worth reparing the car.  Was recovered from my place of work at 0315 and haven't been able to come up with alternative arrangements for getting to Abingdon so a DNS there for me, I'm afraid.

All the best for those doing it, including now pinkbug. 

This may prompt me to think about a target time at SNOD now. (Not missing this one - I'll be hiring or borrowing a car.)

I shall probably be eating something hearty at Pete's Eats between 1900-2100 (when they close) on Friday.

Hey, Stu.  You're turning me a bit soft, but is that room still going?  If it's a day like today it could be somewhat damp in my tent.  I'll message you. 

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Good luck all of you at abingdon tomorrow, sorry to hear of car troubles TRex,hope you get sorted ok for next week.

Given the amount of water falling from the sky and running off the mountains today I think it's safe to say it *may* be a bit wet/muddy/slippery on the final descent...!
  • Options

Those of you reading this and thinking of not turning up for the race next Saturday, simply because you have not done enough training, or are not fit enough, just contemplate this.

The only run over 10 miles I have completed in 2013, was a 15 miler at the end of September, the rest of my so called marathon training has been general training of around 5-8 miles, usually around the Orme, near my home in Llandudno.

It may not surprise me really that due to over all fitness, I do not get around the course, and breaking 5.30 to 6 hrs is an impossibility.

There is no point in pushing myself, it will only mean I fall apart even quicker.

Four hours to the Snowdon Ranger is very generous for those who have trained, but it will be close if I make that cutt off point, it's designed for marathon strugglers, possibly first time marathoners.

What it really means, is that I should not be doing the race in my current state, I know I could not break the hour for 10 k, when my last 10 k was the Anglsea Menai Mini in 2009 when I did 37.11, oh those were the days.

For some reason hundreds do not show up on the day, having already paid.

Make sure your not one of them, if I am daft enough to give it a go, and see if I can complete my 19 th Snowdonia Marathon, off virtually no training, then you should give it a go as well.

If you do not show up, then in effect you've denied another entrant a place in this wonderful race.

If your not injured you should at least give it a go, you might fail, but nobody would blame you for not triying.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Sorry PLJ, but I have to take exception! 

'For some reason people do not start.... '

If you are not fit/ well enough to take part, the only option is to NOT START! Most medical emergencies are from people who aren't fit enough/ well enough to start. If you are in that category, it is only fair to yourself, your family, and the emergency services not to start. I haven't run as many as you- only 4 so far, ranging from 3.36-3.09. There is a good chance I will be a DNS this year, because I have an injury which, if not properly mended, will only get worse if I race. The effect of this could be to put me out for months, and potentially cause an unnecessary problem for the emergency services.

IF YOU AREN'T FIT TO RUN, PLEASE don't!

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Well said Jason!

I cannot believe that the majority of those who DNS do so without good reason, whatever that may be. Whether other people consider it a good reason or not is their problem!
  • Options

Five miles 'recovery run', started in bright sunshine, then it started to rain, then it turned into biblical rain.  The drowned rat run, but loved it.

The Heart Rate stats surprisingly good (for me).

Average pace 9:19 minutes/mile at 63% WHR or 70.8% MaxHR imageimage

Sorry to read about your car, TR. image

• Options
    T Rex wrote (see)

3:10

• Stephen Weston 3  (1st SNOD)

3:20

• NOSEMI  (4th SNOD)

3:30

• Ultra Disco Stu  (3rd SNOD)

3:40

• Fieldy  (3rd SNOD)

3:45

• Banterful

Sub-4:00

• BritNick
    • Fenland Runner (4th SNOD)
    • Lemmy

4:05

• touie 2

4:10

• LoveEndures (1st mara)

4:15

• Harshad_Patel  (2nd SNOD)

4:30

• Ex Chimney

Sub-4:45  

• KingKenny (1st SNOD)
    • Other Half  (1st SNOD)
    • Reydon Rover

Sub-5:00

• Stilldreaming  (6th SNOD)

Sub-7:00

• Peter John Lewis (not sure how many SNODs because some were technically DNSs)

Running round the mountain:

• brer rabbit
    • Bristol303  (1st mara)
    • Britrisky
    • Camlo
    • Chrissi
    • Cougie
    • dave williams2  (1st SNOD)
    • Duffs2
    • FlatBoy  (1st SNOD)
    • jason d
    • jenf
    • joesbox
    • John Bach
    • Kandinsky
    • KateF
    • Mr panad
    • panad
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • pinkbug
    • ringo100
    • Snowdonia Snail
    • Stanners from the Bridge  (1st mara)
    • Steve J
    • Strag RouteMaster (3rd SNOD)
    • Tattooed Runner 41
    • T Rex  (7th SNOD)
    • Wabo  (1st SNOD)

• Chrissi

Was going to suggest a sub 5hr but now concerned by the mass who are not giving a target at all....... Did a lovely taper in gran canaria soaking up the sunshine (and masses of beverages). Dont think donating blood this week was my brightest idea as my 10 miler yesterday felt like the actual marathon. 

weather - hope to see a little sunshine on the top! 

Clothes- given my lack desire to be chasing a time i am thinking a wee fun is necessary (can blame the costume for slowing me down, yes?)

TRex - boo to car. was it you that said better to be warm than dry? i always thought the opposit as 'impossible to stay warm if you are wet'? 

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

3:10

• Stephen Weston 3  (1st SNOD)

3:20

• NOSEMI  (4th SNOD)

3:30

• Ultra Disco Stu  (3rd SNOD)

3:40

• Fieldy  (3rd SNOD)

3:45

• Banterful

Sub-4:00

• BritNick
    • Fenland Runner (4th SNOD)
    • Lemmy
    • T Rex  (7th SNOD)

4:05

• touie 2

4:10

• LoveEndures (1st mara)

4:15

• Harshad_Patel  (2nd SNOD)

4:30

• Ex Chimney

Sub-4:45  

• KingKenny (1st SNOD)
    • Other Half  (1st SNOD)
    • Reydon Rover

Sub-5:00

• Camlo
    • Stilldreaming  (6th SNOD)

Sub-7:00

• Peter John Lewis (unsure how many SNODs because some were technically DNSs)

Running round the mountain:

• brer rabbit
    • Bristol303  (1st mara)
    • Britrisky
    • Chrissi
    • Cougie
    • dave williams2  (1st SNOD)
    • Duffs2
    • FlatBoy  (1st SNOD)
    • jason d
    • jenf
    • joesbox
    • John Bach
    • Kandinsky
    • KateF
    • Mr panad
    • panad
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • pinkbug
    • ringo100
    • Snowdonia Snail
    • Stanners from the Bridge  (1st mara)
    • Steve J
    • Strag RouteMaster (3rd SNOD)
    • Tattooed Runner 41
    • Wabo  (1st SNOD)

• Chrissi
  • Options

1st cross country race for me in over 25 years yesterday - had to rein myself back with next Saturday's event in mind (7th consecutive one for me). No planned time/target this year - playing it by ear, but I certainly won't be going through half in just over 80minutes this year!!

I am trying to disuade a friend who has run Snowdonia many times from running it - he's been struggling with a calf problem (possible tear?) - I fear he may do himself som lasting damage or it might flare up during the race and he'd struggle around and not enjoy the experience

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed for JD's run and TRex's car.

I managed to dodge the rain and do a nice easy 10 mile loop earlier image

PJL sometimes it's not as simple as if your not injured show up and run

Hope Brer's ok

• Options
    The point here is that every runner has had to make that tough decision at one point or another as to whether they race when they know they probably shouldn't. Your gut instinct is no but the heart says yes. Humans are a hopelessly optimistic bunch and runners even more so! We always expect it to turn out ok on the day but sadly it doesn't always work out that way. So I sit right in the middle or the run/don't run debate and wouldn't question the decision of the individual. I just hope that everyone gets around safety next Saturday image
  • Options

I started the Vegan Welsh 3k's when I shouldn't have... and didn't finish image

I think there is a huge difference between CBA and carrying an injury that if aggravated could put you out for ages.

• Options

FR - is that 'Can't Be Arsed'!? lol. indeed a big difference.

TRex - Just sent you a message re accommodation image looks like we are bunking up!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Life got in the way today- along with a dodgy belly! Going to postpone the mlr until tomorrow

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

sorry to hear about your car T Rex

JD hope it went well for you today.

Brer, heard some guy talking about a model who came in early and fast at Abo today, was that you?

Didn't exactly go to plan for me, 8 minute miles to 15, then a very painful and seized calf that required stretching every few hundred yards, eventually hobbled in at 3:50.

Which brings me on to Snod, yes I will run it, though perhaps it would be best for my body if I didn't. I mean, the hotels booked, the scenery's booked, the weather's booked. It would be a shame to let that all go to waste wouldn't if? 

4:30 would seem about right.......

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Sorry JD, as usual it took me half an hour to hit submit and you'd posted in the meantime.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    The point here is that every runner has had to make that tough decision at one point or another as to whether they race when they know they probably shouldn't. Your gut instinct is no but the heart says yes. Humans are a hopelessly optimistic bunch and runners even more so! We always expect it to turn out ok on the day but sadly it doesn't always work out that way. So I sit right in the middle or the run/don't run debate and wouldn't question the decision of the individual. I just hope that everyone gets around safety next Saturday image
  • Options

Hi all..Mr Rex, looked all over Abingdon for you yesterday. I seriously needed a pep talk but clearly you weren't there, sorry to hear about your car.

Before I answer your question Ex Chimney, I will supply race reportimage

Having survived the insanity of the English School inspection system, I was seriously dead by Friday night. I could barely speak and at this point was considering a DNS. But Premier Inn had already stung me for 75 quid so I had an early nighton Friday before travelling down and hoped for the best. Anyway, got up Saturday and decided to weigh myself to see how the effects of eating crap all week (chocolate fridge cake for breakfast aint good marathon prep food!) To my horror, I had lost 2 pounds which aint good when you weigh less than 7 stone to start with. All the stress and adrenaline overload had taken its effect. Stuffed myself with as much carb as is humanly possible before lunchtime and hoping that this wouldn't backfire (so to speakimage) during the marathon. Set off for Abingdon and got there in good. Checked in then dragged myself around the town for a look, I could barely walk so several shots of Costa rocketed me back to the hotel. By now, I was feeling seriously dodgy, a DNS was now almost a cert. I even got a leaflet from Reception about what to do in Oxford for the day and set about planning my Sunday.

Anyway, early night again then get up at 5am to go for a walk and make a decision. Felt much better so decided to give it a shot.Went back to room to get kitted up only to realise, to my horror, that I had packed socks with holes in them. Oh well, nothing could be done about this  so headed off just as the lightning and rain started. Holy hell, I think someone was trying to tell me something. Gave myself a stern talking to and headed for the start.

Well set off at a steady pace, mindful of the delicacy of my state and was fully prepared to pull out at any point. But the miles ticked by, the sun shone..for a while..marshalls/support was brilliant and before I knew it we were at halfway point. A quick glance at Garmin revealed a 1:43 half and so I totted up a bit of number work and realised this could actually be a reasonable time-if the wheels didn't fly off the pram. Sped on to hit 20 miles in 2:39, by now I was really tiring-but not as much as a guy who had clearly hit the wall with a bang. Stopped for a few moments to check he was ok or at least not about to die, then set off again but had lost a bit of pace by now..and when I finished-it was 3:31:31. 12 seconds faster and I'd have got me a PB, but if I could turn back time, I would still have stopped for him just as I hoped someone would stop for me if I was in trouble.

So no Ex Chimney, I hardly looked like a model when I cantered like a lunatic around that final track trying to make up time-I looked like shit tbhimage. Good to hear you got around anyway mate, no pressure next week. I cannot wait, I need to order some socks and eat better food this week!

A