Options

ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• Options
    Hahaha, I will work on her on Tuesday to vote for me, although I am kinda worried that she may not know how to use the Internet, my mum struggles and she's 56, 48 yrs her junior!
  • Options
    Hi StewartC welcome to the sleep deprived thread.

Can you believe this time next week 5 lucky people with have been down to London to be kitted out by ASICS!
  • Options

Haha Reg - glad it's not just me struggling!

Sarah Hopefully she's a silver surfer! My nan did a course recently about using the internet etc etc and made the papers (!) - she's now club secretary of her local blind club (which makes it even more amazing that she manages as she is registered blind!)... Sadly for your bet, she is only a youthful 87...

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    morning all. Any one manage an undisturbed sleep last night? I've not slept through one since bootcamp was announced !
  • Options
    Morning everyone.Thankfully only got woken once during night so bizarrely best sleep since BC!! Jen, sadly think insomnia us booked in for tonight tho'

Stewart C- glad you're enjoying the threads but hard to keep up

Reg- do you wear a leather waistcoat and gold bling too when you do your talks??image

Indy, tony- whilst am prone to donuts, am in a different league to you boys

Anyone planning a run today?? I might sneak one in at lunchtime image
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Clive Kelty wrote (see)
    AW- I'd love to, but got another surgery to do... It has been a difficult, stressful and suitably depressing day. I will go before I go home tonight

Morning all,

Haven't been on much over the weekend for a couple of reasons.

I read this from Clive on saturday afternoon and it put everything into perspective for me. As much as the competition is important to us whilst I was wondering how I was going to get more votes some were hard at work in, literally, life and death, situations.

Clive - I'm glad you managed to get a couple of runs in and impressed that you could even contemplate this on just a couple of hours sleepimage

I had a pretty busy family weekend and it was actually good to take my mind off of the competition and spend some time with them.

It seems that if it came straight down to a choice through votes then those that are able to exploit the largest social network would probably win hands down and it struck me that that wasn't the sole aim of the competition. My original thinking was tha the voting would be from existing forumites on RW. Obviously I am very naiiveimage

I guess that is why the vote is run in conjunction with the RW teams judges - gives everyone a fair crack that way.

I'm fortunate in that I can spend long periods of the day in front of a PC. Others aren't so fortunate. Let's hope that all things will be considered and everyone is still in the running.

Don't give up anyone - especially those that are only on here a few times a day. As seren nos said a few days ago, you need to show that you'll be able to offer enough feedback but not every detail of every minute of the day!image

Good luck everyone - hang in there!image

• Options
    Morning all,

Not the best night sleep I've ever had. Had a couple of glasses of wine, and although I didn't have very much I never sleep that well after having alcohol!!

Will get out for an easy run in a while, feeling a little stiff though!

Its good to see people enjoying the treads, like you say Clive it is hard to keep up with everything, its so active which is great!
  • Options

Morning everybody!!!

Jenf I woke up a couple times I really didnt want to get ready for work this morning!!!

Clive - I will prob slip one in at lunch time if not I'll definitely be out after work.

I feel really anxious this morning, this is such a big week!! image

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

AW - I don't sleep well after alcohol either. Have cut it out virtually all together at the moment.

Chill everyone!image

• Options

Morning all, just over 48 hours to go!

I feel fresh as a daisy after already getting 9 miles in this morning! This 5am running business really is proving to be a revalation...the caveat is that I was tucked up at 21:30 last night! 

Have a good day all image

• Options

Well said DS2 I know for one I've not been able to spend the time at the computer that I would like.

• Options
    Agree totally, I'm sure when making their decision they will take all things in to consideration.

Like you say DS2, I'm sure its as much about what you can give back in terms of constructive feedback, not necessarily quantity of posting.
  • Options
    CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭

DS2 wrote (see)

It seems that if it came straight down to a choice through votes then those that are able to exploit the largest social network would probably win hands down and it struck me that that wasn't the sole aim of the competition. My original thinking was tha the voting would be from existing forumites on RW. 

I guess that is why the vote is run in conjunction with the RW teams judges - gives everyone a fair crack that way.

Agree DS2. As a new forumite I was taking a peek at other forums and the Sub 3 Forum just for interest, ((I'm definitely not even close to thinking about that time group YET!)) and I saw you and A.W as regulars there with a great forum following and I felt I would feel way too sheepish to introduce myself to them at this late stage of the game image and I didn't want to annoy you both image Well done everyone, may the best men & women win. xox

• Options
    CaroT wrote (see)

DS2 wrote (see)

It seems that if it came straight down to a choice through votes then those that are able to exploit the largest social network would probably win hands down and it struck me that that wasn't the sole aim of the competition. My original thinking was tha the voting would be from existing forumites on RW. 

Agree DS2. As a new forumite I was taking a peek at other forums and the Sub 3 Forum just for interest, ((I'm definitely not even close to thinking about that time group YET!)) and I saw you and A.W as regulars there with a great forum following and I felt I would feel way too sheepish to introduce myself to them at this late stage of the game image and I didn't want to annoy you both image Well done everyone, may the best men & women win. xox

Well said DS2 and CarolT.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Yes, it's very easy for us all to get swept away by the excitement. Clearly there are quite a few of you here who have extremely busy and quite stressful lives. Personally I could never do a job where people's lives were in my hands. I would be a complete emotional wreck. Clive I tip my hat to you.

Like DS2 I am also fortunate enough to be able to post here fairly liberally. I have really enjoyed the discussions on this thread and I hope we'll all hang around long after the winners have been announced. 

CaroT - I know exactly how you feel re. posting on other threads. However, I can assure you that you'll get nothing but the best of welcomes. I've been introduced to the guys on the Paris Marathon and Sub 3:15 threads and they have all been brilliant. I've already learned a load from them.

I was incredibly nervous about posting on the Sub 3:15 thread because I'm a world away from that sort of time at the moment. However, they have been just great. I read a book once called  'Feel the Fear, Then Do it Anyway' - sound advice I think image 

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I'd echo malcs sentiment here. I advised malcs to take a look. They all understand the ambition and offer great support. Same for all the threads in my experience. Whatever your level I'd look for a forum that matches your ambition and join in. It's not really about votes (a bonus if you do pick up some extra though) but keeping you on track and somewhere to talk instead of boring those that live with you.

Much like this forum. I'm sure we will remain connected on here for years to come and will meet up at races from time to time.

That is exactly what the forums should be about IMHOimage

• Options

David/DS- thanks for your kind words earlier. I suppose I take it for granted a bit as it is what I have always done, but nice that people recognise what we do sometimes image

Your words (and postings generally) have been very much right to the point, and wish I could be as succint! I have found the other threads very useful, and very welcoming.

Running for me is a 'life balancer', and it is great to be able to share with so many other like minded individuals. I agree that more than likely we'll all stay connected- meeting up would be great. I feel we are all still in with (I hope) an equal chance, as we all have something to contribute; otherwise we wouldn't have got to this stage.

Roll on Thursday!

Question- how good are people at listening to their bodies and taking extra days of recovery if they are tired/ill/run down? My feeling is many of us battle on with the weekly milage count like a devil on our shoulder?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Clive Kelty wrote (see)

Question- how good are people at listening to their bodies and taking extra days of recovery if they are tired/ill/run down? My feeling is many of us battle on with the weekly milage count like a devil on our shoulder? 

I'm terrible Clive. I have had overuse injuries on every marathon campaign. I tend to push it to breaking point then completely go the other way and stop everything. In fear of messing up further I then wait longer than I should do to get back out on the pavements again. Trying to balance things I find very, very hard.

Is it any easier for you as a medic?

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Clive - agree totally. I think we are all still in with a chance and lots of factors will be taken into account! As you say 'roll on Thursday' - I, for one, will be glad when it's all over!

Like most of the general public I'm in awe of the medical profession. My father has been kept alive by some incredible vascular surgeons on a number of occasion - he's actually survived two ruptured aneurisms including one in the Aorta! By rights he shouldn't be here but......image

Of course I don't expect you medics being any better at listening to your bodies than the rest of us! Oddly, myself and Malcs had just been talking about that very issue!

• Options
    As per the point earlier on, I was slightly afraid of over using the forums because I didn't want people to think I was just on them because I wanted votes.

I was and am a newbie and still finding my way around and I didn't want to be everywhere especially with some of the more experienced forumites.

I haven't had as much time to spend on here, hence the busy lifestyle catagory!!! So I hope that doesn't hinder me! That said in the short few days I have been on I've learned a hell of a lot and met a lot of great people.

Again good luck people, not long to go now!!!!!
  • Options

Morning (actually I think it's afternoon now!). where did the morning go to?

Reg - I have the same issue with my shirt - looks like one of the Armour tight muscle shirts. Not quite my look tbh.

DS2 - You're post was music to my ears. I struggle during the week to get on here due to my job (like many others), so only have a few minutes at lunch and in the evening to make use of it.

Paul - Amen to that!

Malcs - Feel the Fear, But Do It Anyway. Great words, you could have said these were your very own words and I'd believed you! 

I am out running with my project manager tonight. He want's me to pace him at 8m/m pace for 5 miles. This kind of challenge could go both ways for my future career prospects image

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Hi all, some really good points have been made on here this morning. I'm so glad to have met you guys. image 

• Options

Bless your nan Steve, shes done so well, especially with being registered blind. It took me a good 6 months to get comfortable with using a computer and the internet (and im still not that good at it)!

Gotta dash, three visits and I need to move surgeries.

Hope you all have a good afternoon image

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Shady_Ady - Good job we did pace judgement at bootcamp then. My mate from hockey had a similar exercise with his boss to pace him round the Berlin marathon a couple of years ago. On the day he made the mistake of crossing the line first. So far, no promotionimage You have been warned!!!

Good on your nan, Steve.

Jenf - we all love you too!!!image

• Options

Awwww bless you all - it's nearly over! I remember the frantic checking of social sites and thinking - "what else can I do, what else can I do" but like someone said above - this forum is not the be all and end all..

You're a really, really tough bunch to choose from this year - you're all worthy winners! Please don't let it get you down if you don't get through and certainly don't take it personally - it can seem like a personality vote at times - but I doubt many of us judge beyond your target times...

If you were nearer I'd offer you all free sports massages - I seem to have the knack of making people very, very sleepy - hee hee - that'll be them relaxed then! image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Paul, I had the same worry. Having taked to DS2 at bootcamp and via the forums it was clear that there are some really experienced people out there who have some great advice to offer. If you were to go on there canvassing for votes I'm sure that would get people's backs up, but if you're genuinely looking for help and advice then people are more than happy to help. 

I already have the beginnings of a new strategy for April in my head thanks to the help I've received. That's not to say I don't still want to win of course! image

SB - thanks for the support. As someone who has been there, done that, you know exactly how we're all feeling and it definitely isn't sleepy!

Ady - if only I were that philosophical image Good luck with the pacing. Just remember, man who run in front of car get tyred, man who run behind car get exhausted.

(apologies for that, couldn't resist)

• Options

Grooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan - naughty corner - 5 minutes - off you go Malcs image

(that's actually quite funny though!!!)

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs - marvellous!!!

Sleepy - it must be nice being in your position now! It's nice to hear from people that have suffered in the same way!

Anyhow I shouldn't be on here - Sarah Osborne 4 has questioned whether I'm doing any work today (again)!!!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

It's alright SB, I've already sent myself off for that one. I will hang my head in shame for the rest of the day image.

Btw. where do you practice? Think carefully before you answer as one of us is bound to be nearby!

• Options

I didn't know we could post jokes now. 

Or are we not classing it as one