Giants Head Marathon - June 2013

Comments

• goldbeetle wrote (see)

Post race refuelling will be of course Hog Roast, cake and beer. As recommended by our dietician.....Protein, carbs,hops and barley

goldbeetle wrote (see)

Post race refuelling will be of course Hog Roast, cake and beer. As recommended by our dietician.....Protein, carbs,hops and barley

That sounds more like my pre-race evening meal!

• I have no idea how I quoted that twice

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

ah , just stumbled across this thread, will need to read back...In a fit of insanity I entered this last night, although the post race feast probably had something to do with it.....

• We're all officially certifiable
  • I suppose I had better do some actuall training for this then. image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

so am I right in thinking that the consensus is GH has about 300ft more climbing than South Downs?

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Something like that Dustin. Not much really.

There's going to be a big party at mile 20, bigger than the bean feast on other marathons. image

No point in training for more than 20 miles.

• Sounds of it, this party's worth getting to mile 20 for.
  • I will drive to twenty miles to cheer you on. You can take the long way round.

I will brew some lemon vodka to celebrate afterwards if you are brave enough?
  • I'm brave enough. Might help my legs forget.....
  • You can rub it in like lemon deep heat
  • Rub in k bit, drink a bit, then sleep for about a week
  • So, to get a feel of what to expect, I ran South Downs in 3:57 last year, and the pancake flat Abingdon in 3:30 (3:23 previously) - I am certainly no quicker this year, so what should I set as a realistic target for this one?

• Probably about the same as South Downs. If its a hot day that may be a factor. And stopping for cider and cake at 20 miles
  • I am going to run today ... it may include some hills (only little ones mind ... don't want to overdo it) ... think will then begin an extended taper !

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I don't want to go out running. It's cold. Stamps feet.

• I don't either. Driving rain here in the always sunny and dry South West
  • I'm caught between a longer run, or not doing much in prep for Tavistock half next weekend
  • here you go .. this should do it ...

Dear Mr GoldBeetle,
    Please can Mrs. Hog-Mousey be excused running today as its too cold.
    Regards
    Bruce C

• I don't either. Driving rain here in the always sunny and dry South West
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

image Thank you.

• I went out Mrs. Hog Mousey. Hour or so of driving rain, then bright sunshine.Devon's weird weather strikes again
  • 10km race route and profile 

Find us on Facebook 

Linky thing

• Nearly full

• Right next time I'm bloody running the other way !!

Well thats my hill training well and truly done for the year!!

http://voodoonation.co.uk/images/runtomums.jpg

• Bruce, where the bloody hell did you find a route that was solid uphill for 4½ miles? (I'm not actually sure I want to know, btw)

• Are there any other rubbish runners like myself entering this marathon (please let there be !)  Just had two weeks rest because my bandy, judo and rugnby battered knees keep swelling up every time I increase my mileage.  Anybody else out there on the scrap heap and just looking for a plod round rather than a PB ?  Starting to worry I might be the only lame donkey

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Christian Betteridge wrote (see)

Anybody else out there on the scrap heap and just looking for a plod round rather than a PB ?  Starting to worry I might be the only lame donkey

Yep.. There'll be plenty of them along the way! image

• Me Christian. I'll be happy to get round in one minute less than the time limit, and second last would be an achievement.