P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Mark - sorry to hear things aren't so good. I think it's only natural to be upset that you might miss the marathon.

Men - sounds like a great race for you. Glad you also enjoyed lunch. Personally I love cheese but would still rather have sticky toffee pud.

NP - races 2 days in a row. Well done.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Thanks Fiona - I think I will sign up for the class and hope for the best.

A friend of mine also said her abdominal muscles hurt a lot for a few days after her first marathon, but hopefully I won't have that problem as I have been doing my core work religiously, as I'm sure we all have. image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Fiona the half was done at MPimage

Lit to hang upside down from your pole your core must be very strongimage
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Nice MP practice, NP image

One Gear: you are a great role model. I'm 45 (only started proper running in 2008) so I probably have a good few years to come, running-wise. When I started I never thought I would break 4 hours....

Lit: I never tried hanging upside down 4 days after a marathon ... but am usually back to running the Wednesday after. So you are probably ok image

Great race report, Men and well battled. Nothing beats reeling in those that have gone off too fast image.

• Hi will read back properly later when I have more time.

Spinning class done love it a great workout and no problem with ankle while doing it, but still cant run without it niggling so decided to see private fizz later for proper diagnosis at least then I can make an informed decision about next week rather than just hoping it will get better !! 

• Fingers crossed for you NN

Two runs over the weekend, 4 miles recovery with strides and 16 miles LSR doen in sunshine and shortsimage

Down to 4 runs this week

• well, it's been a busy weekend it seems. Lots of running going on.

Good race / meal report Men.

Hope you're feeling in good shape soon NightNurse

and belated happy birthday to Lit.

I did my final 20 miler this weekend. 21 miles, through Clapham Common, Battersea Park, Hyde Park, Regents Park, Primrose Hill, Hampstead Heath and back again, in glorious, and very welcome sunny weather on Saturday afternoon. It was also my first ever long run without earphones to prepare myself for running "naked" in Manchester. I really enjoyed the run, and didn't really miss the music/podcast. I think part of that was just because i was so pleased to be able to run for the first time in months in the sunshine image

legs felt a little sore yesterday, but managed a swim, and now i'm officially tapering. woohoo.

Although the plan says I should race a 10k this Saturday before a 16mi long run on Sunday, so it's not exactly foot off the pedal just yet. I've seen a race I could do on Saturday afternoon at Eton Dorney, so I'll decide later in the week if I can be bothered driving out that way. I've been off the booze, and more impressively for me, the caffeine for a week now. Haven't had any caffeine come-down that i've noticed, but my sleep is pretty good.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

where is everyone....has something happened?

I am on a first aid course for work for 3 days, so...if you run into any problems on marathon day just call out for 15West and I'll be there ready to perform CPR on you.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

where is everyone....has something happened?

Tapering.... rest day.... twiddling thumbs....  going nutzoid 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

That'll be it; everyone's on their rest day and has no running to report. I'm having a tapering problem which is that I still want to eat 70-mile-a-week quantities of food. Sigh.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Taper-diet update: home now and have just received the SIS gel belt I ordered in the post. And it's massive! Will have to eat more cake so it doesn't jiggle around on the day.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Make sure you try the fully loaded belt on a run Lit.  Mine felt fine until I started running, then it just wasn't tight enough.  I reduced the size by tying a couple of knots in it, which did the trick.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Lit ditto what ten said re the SIS belt mine tripped me up. Rest day here today.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh, good idea. Thanks, both. I might fold the side that doesn't adjust and stitch it up to make it smaller, too. It's only just snug unloaded now when adjusted down as far as it'll go.

It's the same with sports watches, actually - they don't really design them with petite women in mind. We're probably not expected to do sport.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Good point about SIS belt - no idea where mine is....OH NO...PANIC!

Also - I need to buy some gels.

Lit - no what you mean about food intake....

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Grr, and then you try and pull the gels out and it just stretches the elastic.

• Lit - I use a sweat band under my watch. An I the only one who doesn't have an issue with sis gel belt?
  • Thanks for the kind comments everyone, gonna try and train as close to normal as I can this week. Still not convinced about the vo2 session so I might swap that for some marathon pace stuff tho!

NP, if you can cruise round a 1.27 HM I think you are looking good for a fast time in London. I reckon aim for 2.50, you seem to have the form for it and you've already bagged a few good marathon times so I don't see what you've got to lose.

I usually wear a bumbag to carry my gels, it looks ridiculous but it does the job.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Mark thanks I'm looking at setting out between 6:25 and 6:30 and go for bustimage.

• I use a 'Fitness' gel belt. The gel holders are quite tightl especially with the SIS gels that I use but at least they shouldn't fall out.

• I use an Orca triathlon belt, holds around 6 gels, no issues at all.

• I've got a SIS belt and have found it fine though I still tuck half of the gel down into the elasticated bit of my shorts to stop the things bouncing around.

I have run tonight, 7 miles with 8 x 100m strides, but with only 4 runs this week it means a rest day between each one.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I should clarify, mine is a zipvit gel belt which came with a five quid sample pack image  It's fine now that I've knotted it, and it will be carrying eight large gels to begin with.

Jeez... just over five days to go! Bricking it now.

• Is everyone else using SIS?  I find them easy to consume and OK on my stomach.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    I am. How many though? I was thinking of 5.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

SR - I'm using mainly Sis gels and a couple of Zipvits.  The latter contain 51g carbs but need water, so I'll take one about halfway and the other at around 23/24m.  I'm planning to take the SiS gels roughly every four miles (36 minutes).

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I am using SiS because I tried the High5 isogels and they were so disgusting I couldn't even finish the whole packet. The SiS aren't exactly delicious, either, but at least I can gulp them down on the move without puking. I thought I would carry 3, and leave 2 to collect from the supporters at Mudchute, though I might only take 4.

Fiona, one of my main criteria when choosing which model of Garmin to get was 'is it small enough to fit on my spindly girl wrist?'. The DC Rainmaker reviews were handy where he lines them all up on a rolling pin!

• I use high 5 iso gels as I prefer the flavour. I think I'll use 4 most likely every 5 miles as its worked for me before. I always carry a spare tho' just in case of spillage or droppage (is that a word). Also just in case really struggling I can take an extra one. I found if I try to take more my stomach isn't so happyimage
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    5 SIS gels three with Caffein for me.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Fiona, I am astonished that anyone could voluntarily choose High 5 gels, but I have a few spare that I bought when I was trying different brands - will try and remember to bring them and give to you rather than throwing away!