Options

Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

I was wondering to about powerade once your through security, then I wondered what happens when you get to the next airport........its getting packed in the hold.....my bottles of shampoo etc have never exploded! 

• Options

Guam / agree totally with Sir John. Berlin is the best organised mass-race I've seen - including toilet facilities. Imodium alters the perfusion (blood flow) in your bowel - and your body will be doing enough of that anyway. Asking for trouble by using that sort of thing.

No worries, you'll be fine. (And if you have a viral diarrhoea with symptoms, you shouldn't be running under any circumstances - unfortunately it can happen.)

• Options

Double post - weird. 

I can confirm that:

1. Your bottles will be taken off you if you're flying via another airport to Berlin. 

2. Your lucozade/SiS drinks/gels will NOT explode if you pack them in your hold luggage.

People. Calm!

• Options

Listen to the Doc

• Options

Thanks for the link spitfire, forgot about the message thing. Bit open to abuse, looks like I could just post random stuff for anyone.

eastendrunner - How does that work with the tabs as they take a minute or so to dissolve & with the drinks in cups that makes it hard/impossible to run with them ? I've done it with bottles before and that was easy enough

Woke up this morning with slight sore throat! wtf , hopefully won't develop into anything nasty. 3 miles done this morning, not too bad but seemed hard work. Not sure if it's my head or my legs that's making hard work of it image

Flying Lufthansa from Manchester 11:50 on Thursday & staying in airbnb apartment in Mitte, close to the Ramada (big fish tank?) 2.5km from the start which I may walk if I'm organised enough on the morning. Roll on 3 O'clock tomorrow when I finish work.

• Options
    KingKenny wrote (see)

Woke up this morning with slight sore throat! wtf , hopefully won't develop into anything nasty.

Hi KK, fingers crossed it is nothing major....I had sore throat Friday and rested the weekend and yesterday. Feeling better but not 100% at all. Have not done any runs since last Tuesday. I also hope I will be good by Saturday afternoon.

4days, 21hrs, 28min to go....

• Options

wow FOG - now I had'nt thought of that as being a problem on Friday. Could be a real headache if that causes a delayed flights.

Kenny - tabs take about 30 secs and I can run run with a cup albiet a little more gingerly -  might even strap a little disposable bottle under my gel belt then I can fill that up from the cup and ditch it along the way.

Sicky88 - anything you pack in the hold luggage will be fine

4 miler done this morning with no problems, main thing now it to keep stretching those limbs.

• Options

Guam - I've done a few maras with Immodium until I was told by my doctor not too. I've solved my "problems" by changing what I eat the day before the race (advice from a sports nutritionist) eg no high fibre food, jacket potato (don't eat skin), no bananas etc

I paid 110€ for my entry and I was convinced that there was a T-shirt thown in for that image

• Options

Thanks everyone for the imodium advice - that's what i thought but just wanted to double check before relaising post race that everyone was doing it and it was the norm!! 

Will avoid the high fibre stuff.... 

Think you had to pay extra for a winners t shirt 

• Options
    eastendrunner wrote (see)
    Sicky88 - anything you pack in the hold luggage will be fine

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

I can confirm that:

1. Your bottles will be taken off you if you're flying via another airport to Berlin. 

2. Your lucozade/SiS drinks/gels will NOT explode if you pack them in your hold luggage.

People. Calm!

OK, back to plan A - drinks in hold luggage it is then! Thanks for the advice/reassurance image

• Options

I always take immodium before a lsr and before marathon, but then again I have a really dodgy stomach..............image

• Options

can anyone recommend any painkillers to take before the marathon? sadly I will be running/walking on a injured ankle image I was going to take some ibuprofen at the start... but I read online about someone who died taking ibuprofen at a marathon because she had a sky high potasium level (due to gels, sports drinks, ect).

• Options

Donkey - ask your doctor first but personally I wouldn't risk it. take care 

• Options

Donkey - Iain Moore will be along shortly to explain exactly why you shouldn't take ibuprofen before or during exercise. He knows his stuff.

i think paracetamol are ok and even ibuprofen gels but not tablets.

• Options

why not tablets ? i have a sore threat , the doctor gave me ibuprofen ... i´m taking 3 tablets a day

• Options

Leeds Buddy- all welcome for pub on Sunday mateimage

• Options

Where is said pub? and are we doing pasta the night before?

With my hip being knackered I was wondering what people's opinion on wearing compression shorts under.  Will they give it that extra bit of support or be restrictive.  I cant make my mind up - tried a run with and without but just far too short* to really know anyway.

*the runs not the shorts

• Options

Ciaran - I've run in compression shorts, compression tights and calf guards. 

I used to run all of the time in the tights, as I was always pulling muscles. I got to the point were I wasn't sure if I was dependant upon them. So I stopped wearing them.

i'd say, they are ok if you have an injury. They are also good after a long run, for sore legs, but I don't think they improve performance in any way.

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)

i think paracetamol are ok and even ibuprofen gels but not tablets.

Anything to do with rising blood pressure???

• Options
    marathon molly wrote (see)

by changing what I eat the day before the race (advice from a sports nutritionist) eg no high fibre food, jacket potato (don't eat skin), no bananas etc

Hi Molly, I thought eating high fibre food was good as it is slower to digest than normal food. I suppose this was playing up in your stomach...

• Options

relieved to get 10k tempo at marathon pace with hills in the can tonight. Still a bit of work to be done on my calfs, massaging and icing etc - planning another 5 mile run on thursday and then thats it for me.

btw heard back from berlin mara peeps twice re pen change and they said i had to provide proof of Paris finish time to move up, then they said i already had 3 hours down on my target time so i would be in that coral! considering i applied a year ago that was a bit of a porky. Might drop back one pen, will speak to Chownsie and see where his start is - be nice to have the company in the pens

• Options

Flying in from Manchester 6.25 on Friday. 

Did a 4 tonight 2 at MP, getting very excited.  Along with your passports, makes sure you print out the registration sheet ladies and gents.  Packing my tshirt and shorts, socks etc in my carry on bag. The rest in my storage bag.  First time I've ever gone on a flight and taken a suitcase purely for my drinks !

• Options

Powerade packed in my childrens lugguage! image

My 5 miles at mp felt like hell today, legs really heavy and tired.......scaring me a bit......but then I remembered the class I took last night! Tomorrow night I am demonstrating only! I was going to do 4 miles easy tomorrow, but now wondering wehter rest( and postie round) would be more sensible option?? 

Hehe TJB,  Good predictions!! image

• Options

Kaz - do you really have to ask?  'REst' as only you can...lugging around post bags for miles. 

• Options

RS - have you seen Kaz's dictionary? Rest isn't in it image

Berlin experts. Want to get Mrs O a one day travel card for hopping around during the race. Can we buy a day ticket the day before and just validate it on the day?

• Options

You can buy a welcome card for various different lengths of time.......I am getting a 5 day one, and its only 36 euros for the 3 of us as the girlz get to travel free!!! 

• Options
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Eastendrunner - 

http://www.georgbraeu.de/default.aspx?alias=www.georgbraeu.de&lang=en-GB

Not sure if time set but I'll head over for 7pm I reckon. 

Ciaran- follow the link above for the pub mateimage

• Options

Kaz - I did look at that but it's better value for us to just buy day tickets

• Options

donkey388 wrote (see)

can anyone recommend any painkillers to take before the marathon? sadly I will be running/walking on a injured ankle image I was going to take some ibuprofen at the start... but I read online about someone who died taking ibuprofen at a marathon because she had a sky high potasium level (due to gels, sports drinks, ect).

Hi Donkey - I would recommend you avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as Ibuprofen. I'm afraid it's asking for trouble. Sorry to hear you'll be struggling around - like me.

As per Orbutt, Ibuprofen gel is fine (little systemic absorption) but I'd recommend Paracetamol. And rest. (But you know that!)