Options

Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

ha ha sorry Orbutt....(gosh day from hell Sefton council and our drug farmer EX tennant ...work..palpitations-bring on this time next week)

Back on focus..I will be pleased with anything 4hrs 30 to under 5 due to very 'up and down' long runs (if head is in gear might manage a 4hrs 20).

• Options

EHN - no problem. 

Andy - have you booked your hold luggage with Easy Jet? You don't get hold luggage as standard, with them, so unless you've paid in advance then you'll have to pay on the day and they charge about £40 per bag. 

Ive taken gels in hand luggage but all of your liquids must fit in a 1 litre zip lock bag. This includes shower gels after shave etc. (If you are only taking hand luggage). 

If you have paid for hold luggage then happy days - stick em all in there. However, keep your running shoes with you. If they misplace a bag, these are the only things you cant replace safely. 

• Options

I'm flying in on Sat afternoon with airberlin with just hand luggage. Catching a coach to the airport at 4.15am on Sat which means getting up at 3.15am! I'm going to be shattered before I start!image

• Options

6.30 fri morning flight from Manc on Fri morning, changing at Frankfurt.  Got my euros today, getting excited.

• Options

Easyjet is def a bolt on for Hold luggage, it's an option when you book.

Think with Lufthansa you get free baggage allowance (upto 22kg) & hand luggage upto 8kg. So may load up one case and put it in the hold and take valuables (ie my running shoes!!..good shout Orbutt) in Hand luggage. I don't remember having the option to add hold baggage so hope I have that right.

Trying to cut down on coffee this week, only had 2 today, would probably be on 4 or 5 by now. Drinking plenty of water as well. Overthinking just about everything image

• Options

Does anyone run with lucuazde drinks ?  Just realised they might get taken away at security as I think you're only allowed 100mls, think they're standard at 500 ?  Bit of a bugger, which means I'll have to find a supermarket in Berlin with one there.

• Options

that was my worry with my flight details Sir john. I always take my own drinks for the race although i am sure there will be plenty available at the Expo that will be similar.

• Options

I'm flying in from Birmingham with Luthansa on the Friday @ 10:35am.  Although they have been a nightmare changing flights so I think I need to check my email tonight to make sure I've not had a change of plan by the airline in the last few weeks.

Hotel is Hotel Central Inn Am Hauptbahnhof. (anyone else staying there?  Looks a bit like one of the dingy little holes that Jason Bourne would stay in to avoid the CIA - but you get what you pay for hey)

I'm with you all - the taper is driving me insane.  Went out for a 6 mile run yesterday and it was absolutely hideous.  Luckily I know it's just the tapering blues.

I did Edinburgh in 4hours 50 with my archilles issues - was always looking to do a similar time in Berlin - but then striding through the Cheltenham half last weekend in 1 hour 55 has got that little thought of maybe getting somewhere towards my PB!! Which is 4 h ours 30!  Hey it's a fast course, you never know.

• Options

As suggested by Orbutt I will be taking a cheap Sports Direct jumper to donate at the start. I will probably leave a jumper + sweat pants on my bag to collect and wear at the end.

How do you guys dry yourselves after the race? Camping towel? or don't bother and walk on soaked kit???

• Options

Peter

Flying out on Friday from London City at 07:45 to Frankfurt then catch the 11:45 flight which is scheduled to arrive in Berlin Tegal at 12:55

Staying in a 2 bedroom apartment on account my partner is bring her 79 year old father along for some sightseeing. Its near Alexenderplatz, Karl Marx Allee and about 35 - 40 minutes walk from the start. But will probably catch the U-Bahn. The marathon actally passes within earshot of the apartment.

PB so far 3:43 but as that was on a hilly course I'm hoping, all being well to get a 3:40 or better.

Taking along some old kit to donate at the start and some nice warm ones for the finish.

Will be there well early so pre race photo sounds good 

• Options

John, Andy

As you stated, they should have plenty of assorted drinks at the expo.

I'm on the High 5 Zero tabs so carry those round with me in a sealed bag and just plonk them in a cup of water at the drink station, and hey presto one cup of electrolyte

• Options

Guys dont forget the Motivational Giant Screen on Km35, send your family & friends the link so they can post a Motivational message. Your chip should activate a message on giant screen when on Km35. Only 1x message per runner will be displayed.

http://berlin-erdinger.r.mikatiming.de/2013/?lang=EN

• Options

Easyjet Friday 0855 from Glasgow, staying across the road from expo. 

• Options

Sir John. If you're flying Lufthansa (which I think you are) then you can have hold luggage. You could carefully pack your lucozade in your luggage, if you were unsure about what you can get locally. 

• Options

I'm taking gels in clear plastic zip bag in hand luggage and then buy a couple of Lucozade Isotonic sports orange flavor in Heathrow departure loung after I go thru security, doddle!

• Options

I'm arriving Friday evening with lufthansa and staying in potzammer platz with jimbob and the leeds rob formerly known as dirty.

If anyone is doing the breakfast run watch out for the "in the long run" tops. Google it. They're bright! Anyone who's got them...bring the orange out to play!

• Options

Thanks for telling me RS!! I will put it on my list for tomorrow! 

• Options

Sticky 88 - I'm staying at the Apartmenthotel Fri and Sat night. Looks reasonable to me and only a short walk to the start (and back from the finish with aching legs!!!). Gels, socks and shoes in the hand luggage for me -  anything else can be replaced easily.

• Options
    marathon molly wrote (see)

I'm flying in on Sat afternoon with airberlin with just hand luggage. Catching a coach to the airport at 4.15am on Sat which means getting up at 3.15am! I'm going to be shattered before I start!image

That's hilarious MM - you're going to need to go straight to bed after the expo! Good luck...

• Options

Jimbob. That's ok if you've got a direct flight, unfortunately Lufthansa goes via Frankfurt so buying it in the UK wouldn't work.

• Options

I'm hopng you will be able to buy at the expo or I may be able to put in mates hold luggage

• Options

Thanks Orbutt for the advice, very helpful, gonna try and keep to what I've been doing in training.... 

10 miler on sat all good and then couple more runs this week

good luck with it all

g

• Options

Also got another potentially stupid question

What are the thoughts on taking Imodium before a race - is it another if you've never trained with it then don't start now?

Thanks

G

• Options

Guam. Not a stupid question at all. Id say definitely a no no. Apart from upsetting tummy, could cause more damage combined with stress you're putting on body with dehydration eg. Also there will be plenty of toilets en route, so you'll be fine. 

• Options

Guam / agree totally with Sir John. Berlin is the best organised mass-race I've seen - including toilet facilities. Imodium alters the perfusion (blood flow) in your bowel - and your body will be doing enough of that anyway. Asking for trouble by using that sort of thing.

No worries, you'll be fine. (And if you have a viral diarrhoea with symptoms, you shouldn't be running under any circumstances - unfortunately it can happen.)

• Options

Evening folks,

Flying out of Southend on Thursday at 13:00 and staying in an apartment in the Sony Center, Potsdamer Platz.

I am so excited about this marathon it's untrue, a flipping World Marathon Major, how cool!!!  Found it hard to concentrate at work today, thankfully only tomorrow and Wednesday to get through.  Think I am going to set out at 3:50 ish pace and see what happens.  I am going to be positive and predict 3:47.

A few hours ago, there was only two things in the whole world that I desperately wanted.  One was a marathon PB and the other was my first kiss with the (absolutely gorgeous) girl I've just started seeing....  All I need now is that PB!!!!!

• Options

The Monk - it would seem you're going to have to change your name, in that case!

• Options
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

The Monk - it would seem you're going to have to change your name, in that case!

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Jimbob. That's ok if you've got a direct flight, unfortunately Lufthansa goes via Frankfurt so buying it in the UK wouldn't work.

Mine goes via Dusseldorf from Manchester, and was planning to get some powerade after customs/immigration in Manchester Airport. I thought once you're 'inside', even if you're transiting in another airport, it's OK? I may have to have a plan B then...or will it be a plan C?

Plan A was to pack the bottles in my hold luggage, but I wonder if it'll leak etc, will the pressure in the hold luggage compartment affect the bottles?....I'm thinking too much...

Plan C: Get my aerophobic boyfriend to take the bottles in his luggage on the bus! image

• Options

its amazing how few direct flights to Berlin there seems to have been - everyone going via places. I ran the Amsterdam a few years back with Imodium - got through fine but it did play on my mind so i wouldn'trecommend changing anything now.