Options

Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    spitfire51 wrote (see)
    Orbutt wrote (see)

i think paracetamol are ok and even ibuprofen gels but not tablets.

Anything to do with rising blood pressure???

Spitfire - yes. These drugs are nasty. Stomach related side effects, which may include ulceration and bleeding. Kidney side effects which may include kidney failure (there is already enough pressure on your kidneys from a marathon without drugs making it worse). The cardiac side effects are now recognised to be much more of a problem.

I still fail to underdstand how you can buy these drugs over the counter - in a petrol station if you want!

Avoid - they do not mix well with marathoning!

• Options

Ibuprofen now thrown out of the case, and paracetamol in!! 

This time tomorrow I will be at a Airport, the first of 4 tomorrow! Could really do with another day off today but such is life. 

EXCITED!!!!image

• Options

Wow, Kaz - which way are you going?! Hope the trip goes swiftly.

• Options

Kirkwall - Aberdeen - Amsterdam- Tegel Iain.......Its going to be one long day! Youngest is already having a freak out over what shes going to wear for least problems at security!! And shes decided not to take her ipad, which I was obviously relying on for amusement purposes! image

• Options

Hey Kaz - don't forget, tomorrow is a rest day tooimage

• Options

Kaz1 - Yeah have a safe trip.

Last day at work for me, then a litte 4 miler in Thursday morning then it's done bar the shouting.

Bags packed and getting excited now image can't wait to get on the start line.

• Options

Does anyone wear compression socks when flying??? Just something someone said! 

Yip a rest day Orbutt, different types of bags I will be lugging around! image

• Options

Kaz -  I normally wear my Skins recovery tights for flying, at my age I need every little bit of help I can get image Compression socks will certainly increase the blood flow so should eliminate any lactic acid and tiredness, 

• Options

Any last tips/reminders before packing, chaps and chapesses?

Orbutt - I guess you can buy a Tageskarte (day card for travel) the day before and validate on marathon morning. Never thought of that and always had to rush around for a machine that would take notes and work on a Sunday morning!

• Options

Kaz - that's one mean trip, hope it's as low-stress as possible!

• Options

Guys - quick question - anyone been to Berlin before and know the easist way into the city from the airport?  I assume there's trains and buses - and i'll no doubt investigate later - but I'm staying near enough to the start and finish of the marathon and wondered if anyone had any tips for the easist way to get there or thereabouts? Thanks image

• Options

Where's everyone eating on saturday night? I'm at Potsdamer Platz, any good Italian/Pasta restaurant nearby?

• Options

there is the big Sony Centre that has loads of cafes/bars/restaurants in it near Postdamer Platz. We had a good Spag Bol in there last year but be prepared for the prices!! Did my pre race shop last night with loads of porridge, breakfast biscuits, lucozade and haribos image - the big pack happens tonight. Had to tell the school the kids are out off friday so expecting the £60 x 2 fine letter soon.

• Options

Andy - You get fined for taking the kids oot?!?!image Thank goodness they dont do that here - mine are out for 4 days!! The heads at both schools were excellent. High School Head - 'oh I did that marathon when I was in the army!' and primary - Oh well at least going to Berlin is relevant to her project! 

• Options
    Jase-Runner wrote (see)

Guys - quick question - anyone been to Berlin before and know the easist way into the city from the airport?  I assume there's trains and buses - and i'll no doubt investigate later - but I'm staying near enough to the start and finish of the marathon and wondered if anyone had any tips for the easist way to get there or thereabouts? Thanks image

Getting into the city from Tegal is easy peasy, TXL buses from outside the airport main hall take you to Under Linden and Alexanderplatz, it's about a 25 - 30 minute journey. 

Transport links on trains and buses in Berlin are excellent

• Options

Its the law now - apparently the decision to allow holidays changed and the law now states no 'in-term' holidays allowed or something similar - there are petitions etc all over the web now about it. 

• Options

Morning all - anyone familiar with Berlin know the best way from the airport to the expo - land at 12 on Saturday and then need to head straight to the expo...

cheers

g

• Options

G - bus from Tegel as above to Alexanderplatz or Unter den Linden, then take s-bahn/u-bahn to Platz der Luftbrucke. Then follow the hordes of healthy-looking running types heading to Tempelhof!

If you're coming in from Schonefeld, then take the s-bahn to one if the main central stations such as Zoo and head on s-bahn/u-bahn as above to Tempelhof. 

It's really easy. Travel systems in Berlin make cities like London, Paris and NYC look utterly disorganised. 

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Guam23 wrote (see)

Also got another potentially stupid question

What are the thoughts on taking Imodium before a race - is it another if you've never trained with it then don't start now?

Thanks

G

I've religously taken Imodium for each of my marathons as caffeine gels start to take their toll in the last quarter of proceedings. Does the job well with just a bit of an 'airy' feel to your stomach at the start of the race.
    Would definitely recommend as it's one less thing to worry about!

• Options

I think I'm going to be the last one in....I don't get to Berlin until Sat aft image

Time to think about the important stuff - I've just booked the hairdresser's for Friday morning before work, I realised that my roots need doing. Can't be looking shabby on the marathon photosimage. I'm usually gurning on them anyway but I've got to make the effort...

I don't know what to wear on race day, last night I was faffing about and I still haven't packed anything!

I'm staying with Emmy so whatever she does meals/pubwise I'll be following!

• Options

Molly - we'll see you in the pub on Sunday night then image

Also, are you sure Emmy hasn't got you running another marathon on the Saturdayimage

• Options

Orbutt - that's why I'm flying in so late, just to be on the safe sideimage

• Options

Very American but..........

PAPERWORK!!!!!

Train tickets, passport, boarding passes, hotel details, maps to hotel, MARATHON EXPO Entry. Collect Euro’s at Airport

Hip Help

Foam roller/Tennis ball/Resistance band

Clip Nails etc.

Grocery shopping (once in destination)
    Salted pretzels
    Fruit
    Nutella
    Bread, cookies
    Porridge
    Gatorade
    Vitamins/Echinacea
    Dark chocolate
    Water
    Nuts
    Cereal

Day before the marathon
    Eat - Porridge
    Tape marathon bag (I like to duct tape it in case in breaks!)
    Sleeping drops
    Earplugs
    Phone charger
    Mp3 player charger
    Garmin charger
    Tape (for anything)
    duck tape for shirt, scissors and sharpie
    put phone numbers in back of bib

Marathon Day: for the Athlete’s Village (the start)
    Sunscreen
    Tape for toes
    Prerace food: chomps, powerbars
    Salt
    Wet wipes or TP
    Bodyglide
    Trash bags to sit on/wear
    Poncho
    Long socks for arm warmers for the first miles
    Gels to eat
    Gloves, hat, fleece headband
    throwaway warm clothes: sweatshirt, pullover
    Thin bag pack to put stuff in marathon bag
    Heat packets for hands/feet
    Lock
    Kleenex
    Pen

Marathon Day: Race
    Pace bracelet
    Set the playlist
    Bib and pins
    Mp3 player
    Hat for rain
    D-tag
    Sunglasses
    Metrocard
    Garmin
    Heart rate monitor
    Keys
    Gels (5, 10, 15, 20: Four gels)
    Lipgloss
    Clothes (shoes, hair bands, headband, shirt, bra, shorts/tights, socks, underwear)
    Pace bracelet bands to put gels/mp3 player
    Heat packets for hands/feet
    Wet wipes
    Little towel
    Tylenol
    Credit card, money
    Salt – scaps
    My own shoetag
    Mylar blankets
    handheld

Marathon Day: After the race, in the checked bag
    flipflops
    socks
    extra shirt
    deodorant
    long pants
    underwear
    warm clothes
    food
    bandaids
    cell phone
    lotion/tiger balm, neosporin
    marathon stick

• Options

And if anyone can think of anything I've missed, then please let me know as I'm a nightmare packer image

• Options

KITCHEN SINK image

• Options

Blimey that's some list!

Good luck everyone ,if you see anyone wearing a White Liverpool Marathon (or half marathon white one on the Breakfast run) then say hello image  ..will be with my brother who normally wears a green cap.

Pack tonight , passport & credit card the most important things. Can wing the rest.

Getting excited now, sore throat still looming but no worse.

Just trying to check in with Lufthansa online and it's saying it doesn't recognise my flights...hmmmm

• Options

Andy, that is in my wifes bag.........and yes, I'd not say that if she was reading this image

• Options

Chownsie,

I am a first timer, so pretty scared by the list you have compiled.....I will def. keep a copy of this list for reference though....

I've never used bodyglide (run 2x 20mi, 18, 17, etc during training no problem). Just use surgical tape (nipples) and fabric tape (feet)....

• Options

I haven't even printed plane tickets or details of where I am staying, where the race is etc.  It's more fun this way!

I also haven't decided what top, shorts, socks or even trainers to wear yet o_O