Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

A hotel on Princes Street will be handy Stuart, well done on booking early. You in the Balmoral then? image

DNS for the HM for me today ;0(

The cold still has hold and the advice from my support crew (the kids) was to sacrifice the HM so as not to effect my marathon...advice taken. Just need to get rid of this cold now!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Nell - sounds like you have sensible kids. Probably the right decision for you as running a race while under the weather will only prolong the recovery. And we need a fully fit Nell in Edinburgh in a few weeks.

I am kitted out and ready to go for my first post London run (decided when I came in from work last night that a lazy night in front of the telly was required).

However it is chucking it down. So I think I will wait a while. No point in getting soaked as well. 

• Options

Hi Nell, Not quite the Balmoral, would have been nice though. I was originaly going to be a long weekend for my Wife and i, but them we found out she was pregnant and so now its a quick flight up, overnight, run, flight home. Which is a shamne as i love Edinburgh. 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    I am back. Report to follow.
  • Options

Good advice there from the family Nell image

Hope you got out today Carl? Sunny day here interspersed with very heavy showers & a drop of thunder & lightning thrown in for good measure. On the golf course at the time which was interesting!

Off for my longest run in a few months tomorrow morning - 16 miles planned .... plan on keeping it sloooow & eeeeasy image

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hope the run went ok Carl..wet this morning here but the afternoon was pretty ok.

Good luck with the LR tomorrow Ricky ;0)

Never mind Stuart, keep you focussed and at least you will get home to crash later in the day ;0) Hopefully see you around the start on the day?

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Great weather for my first run back.

I waited in while the first heavy downpour came. It passed, skies brightened up again and out I went.

I had to take my phone with me and use map my run to track the route as my garmin had been knocked off the cradle and was dead. Only found out as I was about to leave. But at least I had a way of tracking how I got on today.

I decided that I would run in / round Hampstead Heath rather than take the easier option of running to Regents Park and back. The plan was to get 6 miles under my belt.

Elevation profile abd pace profile below :

/members/images/557163/Gallery/HH_100514_0.jpg

So not the easiest of routes to ease myself back in. Sort of shock treatment for the legs.

It poured on me twice which was nice (not) but in between the sun was out and the wind was blowing hard at times. Real mad weather.

While I had teh phone with me I was not really keeping an eye on my pace as I had to hold it and with teh rain decided that I would just run on feel.

Needless to say I found the hills a little tough and at times I thought I was going to leave my lungs behind.

In all I covered 7 miles in 56:56 exactly which is 8:08 min / mile average.

I went through 10k in 50:30 which I have to be pleased with considering I have not run in 4 weeks and it was not flat.

Legs are a tad heavy tonight but I am pleased with myself.

It felt really great to be back out there.

2 weeks to my 10k race. I am just going to take the next 2 weeks as they come, get some speed work in on the track and a few medium runs at HM pace.

Ricky - best of luck with your long run tomorrow.

• Options

Great effort there Carl after your layoff - you've still got it m8 image

16 miles this morning for me - longest for some time. Kept it nice and slow & it felt ok albeit a tough hilly mid section on the route. Ran in a group of 3. Met up with 4 more @ three miles in and then the group of 7 became 5 after a few miles and then 5 became 2 @ ten miles in and then @ 12 miles I was solo! Everyone had different distances & objectives in mind - some went longer, some went shorter hence all the breakaways!

New route for me on some cracking(if brutally hilly) country lanes - sun shone mostly & no rain. Bit windy but generally a great morning for running!

Kept the pace slow - 9:10 avg for the run which was just what I wanted to do. Happy enough with that.image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Cheers Ricky. image

Great run today from you too. Sensible pace with it being the first long run in a while.

Always nice to find new routes. I find that throwing a hill into the long runs is good as it makes the legs work a tad harder to keep the pace steady.  

Did you find running in the group helped with your pacing ?

Hope everyone else's running over the weekend has gone well. image

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carl/Ricky, Nice runs there. That was a big jump in distance from what you have been running lately wasn't it Ricky?I have had a LSR with a pal who is running Edinburgh also a couple of times lately. I have quite enjoyed it and the time flew by. I recommend it Carl.

Yes, nice to add a new dimension to a run in the route, keeps things interesting, especially if it is 20 milers you are running image

No running today, I was up early cut the grass and then over to Glasgow to see Cirque du Soleil afternoon show. My Company has a box at the Hydro so took the family and as ever no free lunch, I had to welcome the customers invited but that was fine they were all nice folk. Amazing show, now those are people who are fit! Straight to the airport after and over to Frankfurt, just getting the pulse rate down after another 180kmph taxi journey!

I have decided to scrap the weekend's running and continue the taper. I am hoping for a relaxing week over here and will just get in my weekday runs, nice pathways around this area for the runs. Feeling better today, so hopefully not too much wheat beer and a good week ahead 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Nell - enjoy the week in Frankfurt. Assuming you can keep the intake of the wheat beer low (ish) this week away could be a blessing in disguise. You are on the taper so relaxing running is what is required to aid the recovery from the cold.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Evening all. 

Sounds like some good running taking place over the weekend. Good to have you back out there Carl, I'm sure you will soon be back into the swing of things. Ricky - nice long run fella. Did the Giro D'Italia pass by you over the weekend ? Nell - jealous about you seeing Cirque De Soleil, I love watching their shows. Stuart - when is baby due ?

Ive had a decent weekend of running although the legs are crying out for a rest now. I've only done 18 miles over 2 runs but there has been plenty of elevation. Yesterday, I ran 13 miles on the roads and took in 4.5 (I couldn't carry on to the top of the last climb) hills. On their own and running at my LSR pace they are toughish but ok climbs. Yesterday though, I ended up running at an average pace of 9:10 (with about 1200ft of elevation) which made it real hard going. Today, I wanted to try some more climbing on tired legs. So I took the mutt up to the moors and ran 5 miles at 11:00 min miles. Really tough going today due to the fact my legs were ready tired and the steepness of the climbs. Again there was about 1200ft of climbing. A tough couple of days but will feel the benefits in the future. That rounded off a 34 mile week for me so starting to build back up again nicely

• Options

Good morning all, hope you all had a good weekends running, I did 8 miles last night but felt a bit tight in one leg, Don't want to risk any injury now, i'm so close.

My last Long run was two weeks ago, and no more now until the marathon, will this affect my fitness at all? I know its a tightrope this close to the marathon and i have done a lot of longer runs already. Im still doing the shorter runs and the speed work.

Nell, what do  you do for your Taper, what sort of runs? Im going to be in a Blue Parkinsons UK vest with WINNIE across ther front, i am going to try and get there early and soak up the atmosphere. Hopeful we can meet and wish each other luck.

Carter, the baby is due on the 19th of July, fingers crossed its not to early as it will mean a mad dash home. I'm finishing of the nursery this time home. Its becoming more and more real.  Can't wait!!!

• Options

Hello All. Im pretty sure we all experienced a wet, windy and wild weekend of running in some shape or form. Tis was definitely one of the wettest weekends I can remember. 

Well done Alibali on that latest 20 miler. Hopefully that has now given you the mental edge you were looking for.   Scottish crew. Eek, so close now!"!!!   So I did the Leeds HM this weekend and I must say the weather played a blinder, as I would say the only two hours that it didn't rain on Sunday in Leeds was between 09:30 - 11:30, and with slightly warm temps and none of the expected Westerly head-winds it was perfect for our race.   

The Leeds HM had pacers for the first time supplied by Chorlton running club, and on another completely spur of the moment random choice, I decided I was going to follow the 95 minute one. Bearing in mind my previous PB was 1:42, it was a big ask, but you guys know me by now, i'm spontaneous so I thought I'd see how long I could make it stick.   

My back-up plan on the day was to try and try and keep my pace in the low 7's, whilst the Leeds HM is a renowned tricky course, as you have 2 major inclines in the 1st half, whilst the 2nd half is all decent or flat. Thus I wanted to reach 7 miles in around 50 minute mark and do the last 10k in about 45 minutes, giving me the magic 95 minutes, and a big negative split which I've never done in a race before.  

Things didn't start too great when at 2 miles the 95 minute pacer started pulling away from me, and the shin splints i've been suffering from recently started flaring up again. I was running 7:09 miles so how can I be losing the pacer?? He's going to fast, surely he cant be running this fast? I had to make a split decision, do I trust the pacer or my garmin. Stick with my garmin, its never let me down before this. Besides I had to stop for a piddle anyway, so off into the distance went the 95 minute pacer.   

At this point I hastily readjusted my goal to a sub 1:40 HM, and In a one-to-one conference in my mind (as you do to pass the time) I agreed with myself that I would be more then happy with this. Head down Sean, push on.  

So after the two big climbs, the race turned towards Headingly, and so began a series of rapid decents and flats. weeeeeee, legs had settled, and I really started to enjoy the race. I passed the 7 mile mark in 50:49 and really surprised myself as I thought I was way, way, way off the pace.    With the prospect of a good time starting to become reality as each mile passed I really put in a few good miles at 6:52, 6:58 and 7:02 at miles 7,8,9.

Then at mile 10 you are faced with a straight stretch of road all the way back into Leeds City Centre. I reasoned with myself even if I drop down to 7:30 miles which I knew I could maintain if worse came to worse , a PB was in the bag.    However I still had some good energy in the tank probably from all the jelly babies I had been picking up en-route, so I just let my legs go and pushed as hard as I could. 7:04, and 7:13 for miles 11 and 12, i'm doing this, its in the bag, im really bloody doing this.  Plus, I got a huge boost when at some point along this stretch I had the 95 minute pacer in my sites again so that really spurred me on to hunt him down   

Mile 13 was pretty tough as you need to run up a ramp road to get back into town, and at this point the sun had made a big cameo appearance so I was actually overheating. 7:30, mile 13, the slowest mile in this half of the race, but no matter im on the home straight now.   

• Options

Then in Leeds you turn the last corner and head up the 200m to go straight. I saw the race clock and it said 1:35, bloody hell. I sprint the last 100m and duck under the finish in 1:34:30 official time, just 2m behind the 95min pacer. last 10k of 44:30, and a big big negative split. 

Oh my god, where has that just come from and what has just happened? Euphoria doesn't even begin to describe it and I had and still have an ear to ear grin all over my face.   

I'm still in shock today at the time, but its a nice shock and I put the good run down to the perfect running conditions on the day, good water and jelly baby strategy and if i'm honest probably still feeling some benefits from my London training.  My sore legs today were soo worth it.  

Anyway that turned into a much longer post then I was expecting and sorry to ramble on image 

• Options

Hi Sean, that is an amazing time, Well Done,  I seems that everything fell into place for you, really enjoied reading your report. Well done again on the PB

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Hello all

Have been absent a few days as have just been really really busy and sadly not with running but more social events.  Oh well it's that close to the marathon now that I'm not worried about my running now, the way I see it is I've done all the work and there isn't anything else that will improve my fitness now so I am not going to worry about what I do/don't do running wise now.

So to you all:

Sean- ACE TIME well done, that is a great achievement.  

Stuart- do not worry about what your runs are now in terms of long runs and not doing any pre marathon, your fitness won't change a lot now and I've read several times before it takes about two weeks for a fitness improvement to take place so what you are doing now is to keep you limber and ticking over, not make you any fitter.

As to you asking about my race pack- WAH- I have not got it...it got sent to my old address (stupid me hadn't checked I hadn't updated it on the online page since I ran in 2012 and was at an old flat) and now I can't get it...so I have to go to the hub on the day before the race which I wasn't planning to do but OH WELL it's my own fault.  *huff*

Nell- with you on the tapering and v much enjoying it already after Tuesday's 20 miler image

Carl- nice return.  You'll have a good 10k in you!

Ricky- also back to the long runs, well done.  When's this Mourne Marathon?

PS- you will make it to the sub 4 crew, how can you not.  I have done it (just... 3:59) and my HM PB is much slower than yours.  It's just the marathon distance you need to perfect, not your overall running/fitness.

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Stuart, You know your body and if it is feeling tired or sore, you just have to go with what you think best and not push it. Obviously you still need to keep the miles in there, but not to the detriment of your body.

In answer to you question Stuart, I am taking the miles down now and building in some speed work. I ran a 3 miler last night just to see how the body was feeling after the cold. Seemed to go ok and ran 7:05, 7:30, 7:00. Tonight I will run 6 miles 1 mile warm up and down, with 400 meter intervals hopefully at 90 secs. A slow 6 miles tomorrow and then 3 miles Thursday at about 6:45-50mm with  a mile warm up/down. Easy 4-5 Saturday and then 10 miles Sunday. Next week will be a lower mileage ranging around 4 miles a run with a bit of interval work Tuesday.

Hi Sean, Well done on the HM, great report and really,really pleased for you. You are certainly the Maverick of the group and great entertainment. Watch those shin splints...

Hi Ali, Glad to hear you are happy with yourself   image

As I said earlier, got 3 miles in last night and felt ok. Went for a meal in the hotel, decided to be good and ordered my meal along with a water. Luckily my German is that awful, the waiter took my request of water as a Wheat Beer, oh well, just had to take it...I'm trying Carl image 6 miles planned for tonight with some interval work. Fields at the back of the hotel have pathways interlaced so some good running on my doorstep :0)

• Options

Hi Nell, thanks for the advice, the nerves are creeping in now and the worry that i've not done enough etc. 

hope you are enjoying Germany, how is it runing out there, did you work out any routes before hand?

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Stuart you've done more than enough.  Every marathon lead up feels like this.  Get used to it as you will feel it again.  It is natural to doubt but know that deep down you don't need to.

Just ran 5 miles tonight, 2 to warm up in 10 mins each, 1 at 9 min pace and then 2 miles to finish at 8 min pace.  Went to the gym after for a cycle with my friend to cool down.  Feeling good.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Evening all. 

Computer issues so will read back when sorted. 

Sean - tremendous PB big man, very well done 

Nell, Stuart, Ali - nearly time for you guys. A couple of signs of taper nerves but sounds like you are all ready. 

About 11 miles for me tonight and taking in more elevation. My legs are screaming at me at the moment as I've been hammering the trails and hills recently. A couple of easy road runs next with the Eyam half marathon on Sunday. This is a hilly race and not even close to a PB course so will be using it as a training run. Eyam us known as the Plague Village as this is where the plague started in the 1600s ?? Anyway, the main reason for me entering is the tee shirt that us a warning triangle with a rat in it !! 

• Options

Sean - fantastic running & congrats on the PB! Couldn't understand why I couldn't see your posts and discovered in my settings that I am ignoring you?! Note to self - 'must pin protect I-pad from the kids' 

Carl - with Nell on the long runs... running with company makes the time fly by.

Nell - hope you are enjoying the R&R (and beer) in Frankfurt. I have been running usually 11 - 14 miles every Sun morning for the past few months so 16 is a bit of a step up but not overly I think.

Carter - some great hill running there ... Will stand to you for sure. The Giro D'Italia was only about 10 miles from me but between work, running & golf I didn't find the time to get see any of the action. Did see one of the teams out on a training/shake down ride last Thursday morning though.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - how could you ignore Sean !!! Settings in ipads that allow you ignore people. What will we think of next ?

Nell - I am sure that 1 wheat beer will not really be a problem. I am sure that Carter would agree.

Stuart - as Ali says you will be fine. If you can run 20 miles on a treadmill you can easily do 26 mile with crowd support.

Ali - great that you are feeling strong.

No running tonight as it was chucking it down when I got home and the idea of getting wet did not appeal. I did get 3.5 miles in last night at about 8:20 m/m place. Some good stretching aferwards helped sort out the tight glutes.

Am going to see a show in London tomorrow evening with the family and away with work on Thursday evening.

So next running opportunity is Friday evening.

Will not have done very much by the time the 10k comes around on 26th so will be a very interesting experience.

• Options

I disappear for a few days and come back to read all about lots of fantastic running image

Great PB Sean - well done you!

Hope that the Edinburgh taper-ers are feeling good still. Sounds as if you are in an excellent place mentally and physically.

Carter - hope that your legs are feeling better.

Carl I won't have done much by the time I do my 10k in June either. Contemplating a half at the start of July before getting properly into training for Chester. Can't believe in 4 weeks time I'll be back on a marathon training plan!

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Stuart, Yes the hotel was recommended by a colleague, this part of Frankfurt is the suburbs and there are plenty of fields interlaced with pathways. I just go round the back of the hotel and I am into them. So it is ideal really ;0)

The guys are right Stuart, you have done all the training, just keep ticking over now.

Nice run Ali, good to hear your feeling good ;0)

Hi Ricky, Didn't realise you had ran those distances lately, nice step up then?

Hi Carl, Just enjoy it, try not to put any pressure on yourself and just enjoy this one..

Hi PS, 4 weeks until back on your schedule image

Went out last night and ran 6 miles with 8 x 400M intervals (1:26,1:17,1:22,1:18, ouch hurt give up, 1:23,1:29,1:19. With a few miles at around 7:15-20. Ran 6 miles this morning averaging 7:30, could feel the ITB in my left leg a bit. Probably should have waited for this evening after running last night.

• Options

Anyone know anything about knees? I set off for running club last night (planning to run there) and couldn't bear any weight at all on my right leg without my right knee completely giving way. Walking on it is fine. I'm self diagnosing runner's knee which seems to cover just about everything. 

Hope your ITB is ok Nell. We don't want to all be getting crocked now! 

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ricky - we have the Tour de France coming to us so I will be hoping to get to see that.

Nell - stretch, roller, dont overdo it ! You know what to do mate, take it easy.

PS - here is a website I've used before that gives some good info - http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/. Obviously the best thing to do is see a physio if it's giving you lots of grief.

My legs are feeling better today but I think I will have another day off and go for a run tomorrow. 

• Options

Petite. I think theirs a big difference if the pain starts as soon as you start running, or if it sets in mid run. 

I no doctor, but I think the good news is that if the pain starts off straight away (which is what you describe) then its probably inflamation or bruising or such like, so a week or twos with some cross training rest should sort it out. Its when the pain sets in mid run where I think you have the big problems. 
  • Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

HI PF, sorry to hear about the knee. As Carter says, may save a lot of time if you see a physio if that continues. There is plenty of info on the net also if you have a scan through. Myself, as Carter alludes to....I should know better running on the evening hard and then running again in the morning image

5 miles for me last night with 3 miles in the middle aiming for 6:40mm, ran 6:39,6:51,6:12. Middle mile was up an incline with the 3rd flat and some on a slight down incline, so balanced up in the end ;0) Thought I would sample the wheat beer after, seems rude not to before I depart!

Need to get home to my foam roller, I think it is missing me or my legs are missing it!

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Nell - I often find that the beers replace the roller and take away any pain in my knee. But only for a few hours !! Nice speedy run there, will all of your remaining sessions be quick or will you still do a bit of 'easy' running as well before Edinburgh ?

Sean - how are you recovering after your great PB at Leeds ? What's up next ?

PS - how did this mornings run go, the pace seemed ok ? How is the knee ?

I think I will head out at lunchtime for a little trot down by the river, I feel like my legs need a bit of a workout before Sundays half.