Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options

Nell- good time at Porty.  My mum sent me official times.  I was 32:28.  An 198th over all.  Did you notice the wee marshall at the top end who was shouting out positions to us as we went up toward Joppa?  I remember he did it last year too.  I think that point is maybe just under 3 miles in and I was 199th at that point... so interesting to see I stayed relatively 'still' position wise in the race till the end and even moved one place ahead.  Would be a good indicator of burning out in the last mile if you saw you'd dropped a lot of places.  Just interesting!

washwood- what marathon plan are you doing for London?

Carter- totally with you.  Time to get serious for me too- I want to regain my fitness and I'm on the way but now is the time to knuckle down.

Sean- big miles from you- well done.  You have the resolve to stick with your plan.  Only you would see being sick in your mouth as just a minor distraction to a run.

Having a rest day today but am going to do core strength and arms work.  It is beyond miserable outside so I'm glad to not be running.

• Options

Oh and one question I wanted to ask you guys-

What are your thoughts on incorporating parkruns into the long run of the week?

For example tomorrow or Sunday I have to do 9 miles.  Now I am thinking should I jog to parkrun (about 3 miles) run it, and then jog back as my 9 miler.

Do you lose any benefits of the long run from taking the 'breaks' in between segments of the run (ie 3 mile jog, short break, 3.1 mile faster, short break, 3 mile jog) or would the benefit be the same?

I would like to hear general thoughts. 

• Options

Ali. This is something I do quite regular with parkruns and races. So for example this weekend my plan calls for 14. Im planning to run to a XC race on sunday do it, and then run back. home. The good thing with that as well is the plan asks me to run 7 of my 14 at marathon pace, so I will do that in the race. 

The key to it is timing your run so that you rock up to the start line right before the gun, so you spend minimum time standing around. 

Its definitly a good way to break up a long run however.

• Options

HI Sean, Hopefully things pick up again on the training front after feeling ill. Yes, as Ali says there is only the one parkrun in Edinburgh. You can catch the number 41 to Cramond from Waverley Bridge in the centre and the journey should only be about 15-20 mins if that. I think it would be worth it as it takes you along the water front of the Forth at Cramond. You could be back and washed at the hotel for 11!

Hi Ali, yes, I did hear that old guy calling out the numbers. I pretty much remained the same, I think I was 75th at that point and came in at 73rd. Mrs N came in 262nd with 36:09. Considering she has done nothing since late September I think, apart from a couple of 2 milers this week that was very commendable image I was pretty happy with my splits being consistent enough throughout....

How did your Mom get on?

Hi Carter, Yes, it is hard to keep going through the Christmas period. One of the guys I know is running Tokyo in February so his training started a month or so ago. I don't envy him training through December....You still have plenty time to get through a good plan from now until Madchester!

Out this morning, Went to pick up my wife's car from her brother's house and built in a run to there. Started off nice and sunny with the wind on my back for the first 2 miles and then the last 3.5 were against a gale and up hills with the last mile and a bit gale force wind, hill and sleet... I was smiling though as I was thinking to myself have I crossed that line of sanity/insanity! 7:12 mm average pace, 5.5 miles.

• Options

Some good

training there sean ! I've been so unmotivated over the last month :/ just dragged myself out on a 10 miler and throughly enjoyed it ! image was meant to be 9 min mile pace (still trying to pace these longe runs slower for marathon) managed to stick at 8.08 ave.....

ali- I'm not sure where the plan my friend has used is from but it looks pretty good, long run, threshold run, pace/hill session, recovery run etc. it's quite prescriptive as her aim is for sub 3.30 ...... I will follow it but will prob just run as near as I can to the set times eg sub 35min for 5 mile ........  I'm aiming for a sub 4hr time, 3.45 would be great anything under would be amazing !

nell that weather sounded harsh, my run was lovely and sunny but quite a cold wind !! These long slower runs may require new kit ....... (Off to do a spot of internet shopping right now image)

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

PS - 6 miles at this time of year are a good 6 miles. No matter if they were a bit sluggish. Every run cannot be perfect. Race day is still a few months away and it is about arriving there in peak condition.

And yes I did get out for a park run yesterday. Very late on New Years Eve (it may even have been the early hours) I decided to check if my local park run was on. They have done it the last few years and they did Christmas. Shock and horror they were not. So as I was hell bent on starting the year with a park run it was a case of picking one of the others closely. Unlike Edinburgh I am split for choice. There are 5 within 4 miles and 10 within 6.5miles.

I picked the closest at 2.6miles - Gladstone. Again it is a park and it was described as undulating.

/members/images/557163/Gallery/Screen_Shot_2015-01-02_at_17.34.02.png

The other attraction was that they were not starting until 10.30 to accommodate all those who were celebrating the New Year. How nice is that.

So it was cold, dampish and a tad windy. Ideal conditions for an early morning dash.

There were about 100 plus people who turned out to be greeted with instructions that said there was a very deep puddle that needed to be negotiated (twice) at the lowest point of the course. When I got there it was more than a puddle. Got well and truly wet splashing through in about 6 strides.

Having run on both the previous days this was never going to be fast and added to that was the fact that having not run the course I did not know what was in store. 

They awarded a 100 t-shirt - the first at Gladstone - to a 16 year old who has run sub 20 mins. Well impressed. Must be a club runner.

I set off in the middle of the pack and as the paths were narrow at the start I found myself running at about 8:30 pace for the first half mile or so.

Once I was up the first hill I settled into a bit of a rhythm. But my legs were not working with me. Also the late night probably did not help.

Covered the course in 23:40 (7:46 ; 7:59 ; 7:25 ; (7:02) - 7:42m/m avg

Not my fastest and not my slowest. I was 36th out of 123 runners with an age graded score of 59.72% (no idea if this is good or bad).

It did feel good to get out there.

I ran 4 miles easy today at 8:38 pace. Was trying to be between 8:45 and 9:00 pace but failed to run that slow despite trying.

Now I am toying with going back to Galdstone tomorrow but the weather is due to be foul. If I do that would be running 5 days in a row.

Have booked some races for next year too.

Will be back on later and catch up with all todays activity as taking the kids out for a meal to celebrate the end of the holidays.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - a lot of people incorporate park runs into longer runs. I guess the trick is to keep the gaps between each section of the run to the minimum possible but frankly it probably does not matter too much as the important thing is getting the distance in. Suppose it becomes an issue if you are trying to incorporate MP into the LSR. Some plans do this and some do not.

Carter - good to see that you have resurfaced after the festive period. Always a tough time to run and with the weather not being too kind up your way it would have been even harder than normal.

Loads of time to Manchester so plenty of time to get those miles in.

Sean - great to see that your training is as unconventional as ever. I am going to be fascinated to follow your progress on following a plan to the letter !!

You have had the best part of two weeks off, Christmas and you have still knocked out 18 miles with another 14 planned for the weekend. Awesome stuff indeed.

Nell - great run from you on NYD. Really speedy indeed. I am predicting a very new PB for you in the marathon this year. But will it be London or Edinburgh ?

Most normal people think us runners are NUTS. They see us out running in all sorts of crazy weather where they are all wrapped up and we are wearing all sorts of brightly coloured outfits that look as if they would not keep one very warm at all. So yes it probably is insanity. But we love it.

Washwood - That was a good run considering that you have not been on top of your game lately. Will give the confidence a boost. But yes. LSR's are meant to be slow. Very important to get some slow / easy runs in to give the legs time to recover after the harder stuff.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So these are the races that I think people are running this coming year. If there are others (and I am sure there are, HM's and 10k's ) drop me a note and I will add them to the list.

Race Schedule

22 Mar : Reading HM - Carl

19 Apr : Manchester Marathon - Carter ; Ali ; Canter ; Sean

26 Apr : VLM - Nell ; Washwood

26 Apr : New Jersey Marathon - PS

17 May : Richmond Park Marathon - Carl

25 May : Bupa 10k London - Carl

31 May : Edinburgh Marathon - Nell

19 Sep : Hardmoors 60 - Carter

11 Oct : Chicago Marathon - Carl

11 / 12 Jun : South Downs Way 100 - Carter

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Just completed a very wet and soggy park run. Weather for ducks today. Feet are soaking after wading through so much water. Unofficial time of 23:04 so a big improvement on same run from Thursday.

5 runs so far this week. Not sure I will get a 6th in as that might be seen as taking liberties. But a 10 miler would be nice.
  • Options

Hi Washwood, Yes new kit makes you run faster image nice to get a nice sunny run in!

Hi Carl, Well done on the soggy Parkrun. Now we are moving away from Christmas hopefully we can get back to some serious running! Yes insane but as you say we love it, nothing better image

Hi Ali, Meant to reply on incorporating a Parkrun with your LSR. Problem is each run has it's place and I suppose the Parkrun and the LSR will be ran at two different extremes. I wouldn't say that would be ideal really. On conventional plans the Saturday is a short easy run, maybe use the Saturday for the Parkrun and then just concentrate on the LSR on the Sunday. I would try to avoid combining them if it was me.

Out for 8.5 miles this morning, had to get out early as Mrs N was out to the shops at 8:30, so went out for an hour before... bit of a cold morning but dry, average pace 7:14mm.

Put in for my Hansons plan yesterday, 12 weeks to take me to London, 1 week rest and then another 4 to Edinburgh. London is the A race (hopefully!).

Also Alloa HM for me on March 15th Carl....

• Options

Sean- hope you enjoy Edinburgh despite lack of parkrun.  Have you got plans?

Nell- yes good time by your wife!  She must be chuffed?  My mum did indeed run and it was her first 'race' for 10 months... she did 32 mins which was over 4 minutes slower than last year for her but she was just happy to be running.  Oh this was her 'jogging' round... lucky woman.

washwood- given your times, there is no way you're going to just break 4 hours for the marathon if you train right.  You are easily capable of 3:45 or even quicker.

Carl- well done on the parkruns, 23:04 a very good time indeed.

I decided not to do parkrun this morning mostly because I've been up half the night as my OH is unwell.  So took some extra sleep instead.  So just going out soon to do my 9 miler and will report back later.  Thanks all for your thoughts on incorporating parkruns into longer runs.  

As for races- Carl- some more for me, Lossiemouth Half Marathon on February 8th, and same as Nell Alloa HM on March 15th.  Not done a HM since March last year!!!  Scared.

• Options

Got in 10 miles (first double digit run since September!!!) plus 2 miles walking at the end, pretty chuffed.  Average pace for the 10 miles 10:19 min/mile.  Slow but I did it and I ran steady all the way.  First LSR done.

• Options

Nell : Nice pace especially for that time in the morning !!

Ali : Great on getting a long run in, its nice to get that first one back under your belt to gie you a confidence boost ey.

Carl : Nice bit of running this week. Did my first park run ever today .... down river and round fields ..... you'll be fine in road shoes they said so left the MTs at the start ............ HAHAHA muddier than most XC ive run, was scooby dooing (legs going like the clappers but not actually going anywhere) for chunks lol and nearly slipped several times .... time 25:07 , not too bad considering :/

So tomorrow I think Ill race in the Oxford XC series as taking youngun anyway then start the plan on Monday ...

You can add Silverstone half ( to list for me for starters........ 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - love the pitch over on the other thread. image

• Options

Thanks Carl image My running has been rubbish for a while (well compared to where I was say a year ago) and I'm determined to get good again.  I'll take any extra help I can get image

Good parkrun washwood for that course, well done.

Today I did day 4 of the Ab and Squat Challenge (I am doing one of these 30 day challenges- anyone else joining one for January?) then went for a 3.5 mile walk with my friend and her two dogs through some muddy coastal/forest paths.  Then ran 2 miles just nice and easy to shake my legs out after yesterday's efforts.

Total mileage this week 28.  Might not sound much to some of you but more than I've done in a long long time.  Proud!

• Options

Hi Ali, We will meet at Alloa then?image Good miles in, 28 is ok to tick over with.

Hi Washwood,  like the image of Scooby doo'in....lol!

Out this morning, bit later at 9:30 so the sun was up. Lovely morning, bit cold but sun was great and a bit of wind. Broke out across the fields as the ground was nice and hard with frost...quite enjoyable and ran 7 miles at 7:22mm average. Out for a walk with kids later on taking advantage of the sun!

• Options

Ali, 28 m is great mileage ! I did cross country today and actually enjoyed it ! nice hills, bit of mud and good competition, but didnt go too crazy as worried of falling and injuring myself. 

Marathon plan all the way now for 16weeks image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - Agree that a year ago you seemed to be much more confidant of where you were. But don't forget that you have had a big life change this year and that was always going to throw the running out of kilter a little. Now I do not think 28 miles is that bad for this time of year. For the last few weeks I have only being doing something like that.

So hopefully you will get picked. And we will continue to offer our version of support.

Washwood - well done on the XC yesterday. Must have been dicey. Some poor lass behind me yesterday at the parkrun stepped onto the grass verge on lap one and went for a slide. I did slow and ask her if she was ok, she clearly was as she passed me but after running together for a while I got ahead of on lap 2 and finished the stronger. 

Nell - another decent run from you today. All seems to be fast at the moment.

Like you I got out early at 9am. It was very cold but nice. I had hoped to get out around wish but it was 9 so I had less time. Got a decent 7 miles in at a nice slow pace of 8:58 m/m which was nearly bang on my target pace of 9m/m.

This got me up to 34 miles for the week with 6 runs. By far the best for many a month.

Looks like we are all getting serious about this running lark again. 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Updated race schedule. Keep throwing the races at me and I will add them the next time I am on.

Race Schedule

8 Feb : Lossiemouth HM - Ali

15 Mar : Alloa HM - Nell ; Ali

15 Mar : Silverstone HM - Washwood

22 Mar : Reading HM - Carl

19 Apr : Manchester Marathon - Carter ; Ali ; Canter ; Sean

26 Apr : VLM - Nell ; Washwood

26 Apr : New Jersey Marathon - PS

17 May : Richmond Park Marathon - Carl

25 May : Bupa 10k London - Carl

31 May : Edinburgh Marathon - Nell

19 Sep : Hardmoors 60 - Carter

11 Oct : Chicago Marathon - Carl

11 / 12 Jun : South Downs Way 100 - Carter

• Options

Morning all! First day back at my desk for over 2 weeks. Trying not to feel miserable and remember that there's 6 weeks of work left until I finish. It's actually a bit of a shame as I really enjoy my job and I'll be really sorry to leave. I'm busy trying to persuade my boss he should hold my job open for 18 months and just recruit an interim.....

31 miles for me last week and day one of marathon training today. It was yoga! Am trying not to fret as my foot is feeling sore on the heel in the exact place as it did before in spite of the new orthotics.

Ran 10 miles yesterday at an easyish pace of 8:41. It was pretty foggy and very cold. I chose a flattish route along the Greenway (cycle/walking route) as I didn't want to head out on the back lanes with no pavement in such poor visibility.

Having a marathon dilemma. As you all know I had planned to do the New Jersey marathon http://www.thenewjerseymarathon.com/ It now turns out that this would come at the end of our planned week away visiting the Grand Canyon and Vegas. So an alternative could be the following weekend to do the Long Island marathon http://run-li.com/site/index.php?id=11. Now I'm in a complete quandary. Could come back in time to run New Jersey. Either way I wish I'd found an earlier one to do so that I could eat and drink and be merry on holiday. They also both start really early - at 8 and 7.30 am respectively. Or maybe I should look for a marathon a couple of weeks earlier but then I won't fit in my 16 weeks (but could I get away with 14 weeks say training and I don't even know if there is one). Aaargh.

• Options

Morning all. Hope everyone is feeling as cheery as me to be back at work after 2 weeks image

PS – maybe you could try this race, I’ve had my eye on it now for ages and would really like a crack at it - http://hardrock100.com/

Carl – sounds like you a right back into your running groove again.

Washwood – you can’t beat getting off the roads and running in some mud !

Nell – you seem to be ticking over quite nicely at the moment.

Ali – well done, 28 miles this week is a great effort.

Sorry for the short response but as I haven’t been on in a while it will take me ages to read back right now.

• Options

Ha Carter I would run it but unfortunately it looks as if it is full image

• Options

I face a bit of a dilemma myself at the moment. If you recall, a while back, I changed to a low carb high fat diet in an attempt to become a fat burning running machine. During this time I struggled quite a bit with my running while my body went through the adaptation process and I was feeling weak during my runs. I have been doing more research on this and I have found out where I made a couple of mistakes. Being a fat burner would mean that I basically have 20 times more fuel available to my body compared to using carbs for fuel. This, in my opinion, is the way to go for a runner who wants to focus on the longer endurance events later in the year i.e. me.  My concern is, that while my body adapts to become more efficient at fat burning (which could take 6-8 weeks to fully achieve) I will not be able to perform to my best during training. I will still be able to run but it is recommended to only exercise at a low intensity until fully adapted (65% of your VO2 max). My aim this year is to go for 3:30 at Manchester in April so am not really sure if this is going to be achievable if I can only train at this level. So, I need to give my plans for the year some more thought and quickly. Oh, and this is day 3 of me not having any alcohol. My ridiculous target is not to have any beers until Manchester which is about as optimistic as you can get. But, we will see how it goes……

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    PS - What about looking for one a few weeks later. This way you avoid reducing the training too much and give yourself the flexibility to have an easy week while you are on hols.
  • Options

Carl - there isn't anything around really much later than that. I think it's because of the heat.

It has just been pointed out to me that trying to train for a marathon and move to a different continent is madness. I hadn't even thought about it.

Carter what do you want to do? Could you run Manchester as you are (hopefully minus the Christmas food baby if you're anything like me) and then do the diet switch after that in time to train for your ultra(s)? Well done on no alchol. I'm on day one. I have no intention of giving up my weekend wine though. It's one of my few pleasures in life! Marathon training tends to limit it to Friday evening and Sunday though. 

• Options

arl. Gladstone is my hometown parkrun, and I run it every time I visit London. I know the puddle you mean, as that side of the park is basically a big bowl, and that is the bottom of the bowl. lol. My PB on that course is my all time parkrun PB @ 19:30. To this day I dont know how on earth I run it in that time as its a two lapper with two big hills on each lap.

I have the Dewbury 10k on Feb 1st,   

Ali: Plans in Edinburgh is to drink loads of whisky and go out for a nice meal on the saturday for my birthday. Can you recommend a posh restaurant? We like the ones that do taster menus if their are any??  

Nell: Keeping the miles going over xmas and the new year . Great going. You are looking like having a cracking 2015 to top 2014s achievments.  

Carter: Ive bought a book by Matt Fitzgerald (no relation) called get to your racing weight (or something like that). half way through it, but quite a decent read. Basically advocating a caveman diet. i.e. cook and eat meals with fresh ingredients as often as possible. Whilst cutting out the booze for january and Feburary (except for my birthday image ) , this should hopefully get me down to my fighting weight. Check it out anyway. It was only £6 on amazon.  

So I completed my 1st week of running post chest infection, and pretty pleased at the outcome. 40 miles on the clock rounded off by what I felt was my most quality LSR yesterday to date.   

20.19 parkun at roundhay on saturday on a hilly course. gonna go for a sub 20 next week.   Sunday 14 miles along the canal, 7 out 7 back. Ran the first 3 at 8 m/m, then the next 8 at marathon pace. splits of 7:34, 7.20, 7.14, 7.11, 7.16, 7.21, 7.20, 7.30, then the final 3 at 8 m/m again.   

I felt great all the way and completely in control of my pace, which is a new experience to me. Usually on LSR training training runs for previous marathons I have always faded for the last quarter and really dropped away with my pace. The negative split is something that ill have to add to my vocabularily. lol.

I guess its the threshold runs that im doing as part of my plan that are keeping my long runs so strong.   

Anyway, happy with the P&D plan so far and pretty pleased at my running start to 2015. 

• Options

Nell- yes, Alloa it is!  Last year you did a new PB at Alloa did you not?  You haven't broken it since then have you?  (Or have you?!)  

Carl- thanks for race schedule!  Aren't we busy bees!  And well done on your week.

PS- what is the job you have just now if you don't mind me asking? Always sad to leave a good job.  What are you going to do in the US?  And re: your marathon.  If I was to tell you what I think you probably wouldn't like it.  I would honestly say a marathon in the midst of moving house, country and job is possibly too much.  I have found my training difficult to maintain (in fact, I haven't maintained it, it has suffered) over the last few months leaving my job, moving to a different part of the country, and changing careers... I imagine the difficulty to be tenfold when you're moving across the sea and you have a family.  Would a 'fall' marathon be an uninviting compromise for you?

Carter- what's more important- Manchester or later longer races?  My gut says if I were you I'd carry on regardless and do Manchester.  Don't pin your hopes on a PB but it could happen.  Look at the bigger picture and what you want to achieve beyond the marathon. That's just me though.

Sean- Castle Terrace and The Kitchin are both Michelin starred restaurants in Edinburgh that do both A La Carte and those fancy tasting menus for around £75 p person.  I've not been to either but my family have, I've heard really good things about Castle Terrace and I'd like to visit because they do a vegetarian tasting menu which is unusual for Michelin starred places (yes I am a veggie).  Nice running this week, really impressive

• Options

Ali: bollox, they are both closed for refurbs until the 23rd. Im there on the 17th. Any other decent restaurants??

• Options

Ali you could well be right but the upside is that I won't be working while we're out there (I'm a lawyer working in the automotive industry) so I'm telling myself I'll have lots more time to train albeit I'll be with the (by then) 3 year old all day. Plus I've said I'll do it and I'm a stubborn old bag.

• Options

Sean - there's a cracking kebab shop down at Leith; they also do a great fish supper !

Ali - sound advice, thanks. When do you find out if you're getting a mentor or not (on t'other thread) ?

PS - you will be sat on your bum all day doing nothing, in the sun, relaxing. Marathon training should be a piece of cake ! Stubborn old bag eh ?!!