Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options

Carl - bad luck comes in three's.... so lets see: 1. Virus before Paris.... 2. Hamstring before Paris..... 3. Falling of kerbs in the park............. reckon you're in the clear mateimage

On a serious note - that is unbelievably bad luck however looking at it positively it sounds like no serious damage done and I reckon you'll be up & running again in no time. How are you feeling this evening?

Carter - I have never darkened a Physio's door and have has my fair share of lower limb running injuries - especially during my first year of running. I always just googled, rested, stretched and it cleared up. Maybe I've just been lucky!

On that note - I haven't run since my stupidly hard session on Monday (well stupid a week after a marathon) as my marathon injury flared up again as a result. I went out this evening for a very easy 3 miler.... the groin strain, although still just noticeable, is much improved although did worsen slightly in the last mile. Need to take it very easy. I have accepted I prob won't get any speed sessions in before my HM in 3 weeks which is frustrating and my chances of sub 100mins may be slim. P&D advocate 5 weeks easy running after a marathon!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - hopefully you are right. A couple of days rest may do the trick.

Carter - I as you know have used a physio but usually it is to diagnose the problem, and get him to give me a very focussed massage to assist rehabilitation. I do not keep going  as there comes a point when it is all about doing the exercises and that is something you just need to get on with.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Thank you for the advice gentleman, I think you have just confirmed what I have been thinking

• Options

Ricky, I ran my HM PB of just under 100 mins two weeks after my marathon this year carrying a couple of niggles so don't give up hope of hitting your time just yet.  Just see how you feel on the day, go out hard and stem listen to your body to see if you can maintain it throughout.

Carl, gutted for your continuing problems mate but surely this has to be the end of them for now! I like Ricky's thinking on this.

Big G, in terms of having enough energy for your runs, I would say your diet looks pretty good, much better than mine is anyway! just be sure your not limiting yourself with portion control. But it doesn't look like this is the case. You don't want to eat so much you start to put the pounds on but at the same time you need to ensure you are giving your body enough fuel to last the day with exercise.

off for a nice steady 10miles shortly, before coming home to abuse my calfs and IT bands with the stick! All getting a bit tight for my liking despite lot reasonable amount of stretching

• Options

Hi Carter,

Sorry to hear about your dog. As it happens, that same Monday, my parents had to have our old dog put down. he was the one I got as a teenager and 17 and 1/2 years later was still going. He was fit enough to run 6 k with me at xmas but time finally caught up with him. Its incredible how close you get to them.

On a running note, am off to do a 10 k at Sudbury Court tomorrow. The athletics club there have organised it. Have been fierce lazy since London!

Time to get back on the horse and I find entering the race will get me going again!

Best of luck to all, espeically with the injury recoveries

• Options

Carl,

Best of lcuk with your recovery. i  have just read back through the thread and seen what happened to you.

Bruno

• Options

Fingers crossed Carl....

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Bruno - good to hear from you. Have been stretching my ankle today, It is a little tender still so will give it another day or two of rest before going for a run again.

Best of luck with your 10k tomorrow. What time are you hoping for ?

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Spoons- I am cautiously optimistic that I will be running again in a few days. Have been doing a number of stretches today and although the ankle is tender I am pleased with it. Not going to rush back, maybe a few easy runs at most next week. Lets see where I get to and I can work it out from there. image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter / Big G - I have been wondering what training plan to follow for my October marathon. Having started reading P&D would you recommend it ? It seems to get good press on most running forums.

• Options

Carl - I just got P&D the other day after good reports all round - I plan to use one of their schedules for Dublin image

You will remember mention of my 16.5 stone white kenyan running pal - using a P&D plan he ran 3:17 in Dublin last year off the back of a 1:36 HM @ GNR several weeks prior. That impressed me & has me thinking there must something in this P&D stuff!

Good luck tomorrow Bruno!

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carl - yes I would recommend P&D based on what I've read so far.  I think it's pretty much the running bible for training plans and there is some good stuff in there.  For me personally, I think I am little way off from starting their lowest mileage plan (which peaks at 55 miles) but it's something for me to aim for.

• Options

lots of people have had success with P&D plans. I've never managed to follow a plan properly myself but it's a good read.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carl - I'm looking at the up to 55 mile 18 week plan once I get my endurance base back up to what it was like a few months ago. Most of my previous training plan from Spoons is containtheir the P&D book and that also goes into the science of why we do the sessions, how we benefit from them etc. Its an interesting read but so far I haven't come across too much information that I haven't picked up from Spoons or on here. Definitely worth a read though in my opinion

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Big G - I think the lowest mileage plan being 55 miles might be why I have not gone there before. Everytime I heard about it, the mileage seemed well beyond me. But as Spoons says probably worth a read so I will order it from Amazon so that I can keep up with you all.

Taking my litttle boy to the footie this afternoon so talk later. image

• Options

Hi all

Wella after a weekof rest and recuperation sponsored by Guinness I tentatively went out for my first run this morning since last weekend and as a member of this thread was fully expecting to spontaneously combust or get hit by a meteorite to keep up the level of luck we all seem to enjoy.

The good news is neither of these events occurred to me,in fact it was fairly event free, a nice 7.5 miles @ 8:15 avg. It all felt pretty good with no noticeable discomfort orprotest from any parts.

So next up is the Southend HM in 3 weeks image

• Options

Hi folks,

Good running Oirish. Guinness is underrated as a race preparation supplement!

Just back from the Sudbury Athletics club 10 km race, near Wembley in North west London. Like I said I havent done a lot since the marathon so was good to get out in a race, which I find always drives me on. It was a very small friendly race, charge of a tenner, which was goo dvalue for what they laid on. There were approx 100 runners, although I think only around 75 did the 10 k. I managed it fairly comfortably in 49 minutes, which I was happy with and I have found has got my buzz going again to start training properly again. Next up for me is the hampstead mid summer 10 k race on 23rd of June. Should be a good one if a little hilly.

All the best to everyone

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Bruno - really good running from you today considering that you have not been focussed on it since the marathon.

You are right. The Hampstead midsummer 10k is a hilly one indeed. It is my local and I will also be doing this. It is 3 laps of the heath extension adjacent Hampstead Garden Suburb. There is a climb of about 1km in length after the first half km. I reckon it will be a killer on the third lap. I drive part of the route on a regular basis as I use it as a  cut through but have never run it. 

Will use this during June and report back.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Oirish - well done you for dodging the meteorite on your run today.  After last week must have been good to have an uneventful run.  Also looks like you are not suffering any I'll effects so that bodes well for your HM.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Oirish/Bruno - good running from you boys and nice to see no further injuries gained. 

Carl - hope the ankle is improving and you can focus on your 10k training. 

I went out today and as the sun was shining I thought I would hit the trails in the peaks. I managed just under 2 miles and had to turn back as it was murder on my legs due to the rocks and bogs and the fact i havent run on the trails for ages. So I hit some country lanes and it was a glorious day and really enjoyed it. The good news - I managed a total of 8 miles and it was 7.5 miles before the knee started playing up. This is an improvement of 2 miles on my previous run. The bad news - the knee is still hurting a bit now. Previously I was only getting the pain when I was actually running so not sure what's occurring with the post run pain as well. 

• Options

Well done Bruno - good running.

Oirish - no lasting damage from your bambi on ice moment which is great!

I have only run 3 times in the last 2 weeks now cos of this groin strain and am hating it! Spent today giving car a thorough post-winter valet including de-tar and polish followed by a tense 90 mins watching the Gunners do just enough to secure CL football for next season image

A gentle run scheduled in for tomorrow evening to assess the groin niggle... Keep insisting with Mrs RickyW that a massage in the affected area will work wonders but she's not having it!

So Carl - am I right in thinking you are next up for racing duty? How's the ankle today?

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - on the train back to London after watching Carragher play his last game. Something my little fella will remember for a long time. 

Ankle is giving me no trouble doing normal things. 3 hours gardening yesterday. Walked from Anfield back to the train station tonight. 

However there is one spot on the ankle bone and it is still sensitive and every so often I get shooting pains from this spot. I am heading to Madrid first thing tomorrow with work back Tuesday night. I am hoping it will have eased by then and will then try an easy run on Wednesday night. I might have to invest in an ankle support for the race as a precaution. 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - good to see the mileage increasing. Maybe it was the first mile or so on the trail  where the underfoot conditions were probably too much for the `old` joints..

• Options

Good man Carl - you'll be grand. I hear Carragher had a 35 yd rasper hit the post! Looking forward to last MOTD of the season in a few mins time!

Carter - the mileage is increasing so that's a good thing. Seems to be a slow recovery though which is bound to be frustrating image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Indeed Ricky/Carl - I'm due to start my P&D for Chester the first week of June but not sure if I will have enough miles in the legs by then. Yes, very frustrating indeed !

• Options

right after reading all the comments about P&D i have to see what all the fuss is about so ordered my copy to arrive sometime this week!

my youngest son's christening over the weekend so did my longer run on sat morn, nice steady 9miles at just under 8min/mile pace. tempo tonight, gonna aim for 1mile warm up then 3-4miles at little under 7.00min/mile pace. First 10k of the season on Sunday so fingers crossed for a sub 45min time! (current PB is 45.12 but Im hoping for a sub 43 by my last 10k this summer)

• Options

Tempo went well, warmed up with a 8min mile then 4 miles at 6.55, 6.51, 7.03, 6.57. Was struggling at the end but kept pushing.

something I have had problems with lately is that my garmin and my mapmyrun ap on my iPhone don't agree on the distance I am running! I've been using mapmyrun to record my workouts but have recenstar gone back to using my garmin also as its much easier to keep track of my pace. But my garmin consistently shows less distance covered (and therefore slower mile splits) than my  phone ap.  

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Andrew - I use my garmin and strava and they are fairly similar regarding distance, not so much with elevation and calories but that's not as important to me. I tend to think that as we pay so much for our garmin equipment, and they are meant to be the experts in this field, that the measurements on garmin are more accurate than any free aps. That's my thoughts anyway

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Spoons (and anyone else who has an opinion feel free to add your two penneth) - as you know I'm currently building back up my base in preperation for my next marathon training. I have a couple of options for the next few weeks but am not sure which way to go. They are:

1) continue increasing my runs by 0.5 miles each time. This doesn't exceed the 10% guideline. I'm currently up to 8 miles

2) do all my runs at 5 or 6 miles and one long run at the weekend which I would increase by 2 miles. 

The weekly mileage is similar but I'm not sure which option would benefit me most before I start the structured training plan ?

I've also got it in my mind not to start doing any speedwork til my long run is 14 miles; at this stage I think I could say, with a reasonable amount of confidence, that I am over my injury. 

Your advice on this would, as usual, be appreciated. 

Cheers

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Andrew - great tempo run from you tonight. Based on that you should easily manage a sub 43 mins on Sunday. Regarding the garmin. All I know is that mine measured my February HM spot on but was measuring short for my marathon in Paris which apparently is normal. I would agree with Carter it is probably the most accurate but depending on local conditions msu sometimes measure different to other devices.