Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Great splits Carter, seems like you are flying now.

Yes I am on the Grid roller and stretching. Went for a run this morning 3.25 miles - 25:24. Knees felt not too bad. Popped into the gym after work and did some squats and lunges and worked a bit with the stretch bands..hopefully getting there :0|

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Nell - good easy run there. Sounds like you know what you need to do when it starts flaring up again

rachel - be very afraid image I may have to find a 10k after Chester so I can smash your time !! How is your training going ?

• Options

Crikey, this has become the super speedy thread....nothing like a bit of competition!! My 10k training is going fine, though I couldn't run this morning as my husb. is in Portugal "with work" (I am SO in the wrong job!) which means I have been on childcare duties...But June is looking to be my highest mileage month since January which is all good!!

• Options

Good work with building the mileage Rachel image

Carter that was a quick one! Good work my man. The only strategy for tomorrows HM is NOT to go out @ 7.30 pace like last week..... it is to be warm & sunny & the course is at least a couple of mins slower than Larne last week so the loose plan is 8 min miling for the first relatively flat 6 miles and then try and maintain that pace in the more hilly second half to bring me in on 1:45

Kit bag packed and ready to go 6.45pm start so hopefully will get you all an update this time tomorrow evening image

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow Ricky!

• Options

Hope it goes well Ricky!

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Good luck for later Ricky

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Good luck Ricky!

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

June 19th - Lisburn Half - Ricky

June 22nd - Wales Trail marathon – Spoons

June 23rd - Toad Hall 10k – Andrew

June 23rd - Torbay half - Big_G

June 23rd - Hampstead Midsummers 10k - Carl, Bruno

Ricky - best of luck mate. A strange time to start a half marathon 6:45pm ? I think a 1:45 is definitely on the cards. I've checked the route out and there are a couple of little inclines that hopefully wont cause you any issues. Drink plenty. Keep us posted. 

• Options

Yee Gods that was my toughest half yet - hot & sunny - 20degC and relentless hills around every corner from 6 miles onwards....

Started off quite comfortably and was through 6 miles in 46.25 (7.45ish pace) and felt quite comfortable to tackle the hills ahead.
    By mile 9 I was struggling after 3 miles of killer hills, by mile 12 I was spent and walked a water station and a couple of hills at this point. Pulled my self together and ran a "on pace" last 1.1 miles to give me an unofficial time of 1:47.31.... happy with that as everyone was 3 - 4 minutes down on their Larne HM time a week & half ago. Tough Course!

Splits:

7.47; 7.40; 7.42; 7.52; 7.42; 7.42

8.27 (big hill); 8.06 (more hills); 8.48 (more bigger hills); 8.03 (downhill phew..); 8.12; 10.23 (more hills & much walkness); 8.01 (big hill but the horse could smell the hay); 1.08 (6.36 pace with sprint finish including gutteral scream to accompany the effort).

Pizza time image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Sorry Ricky, I didn't realise the profile was that bad (my earlier post suggested it wasn't that hilly image) Sounds like a cracking effort considering the profile and the heat. Your time wasn't too shabby at all sir. Well done mate. Enjoy the pizza and I'm assuming that will be accompanied by some of the black stuff...

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - stonking effort considering the hills and the heat and of course your recent HM. Well done. Bet you enjoyed that pizza !! It was well deserved. image 

• Options

happy enough - a course record for me - 2.06 last year and the only time previous to that was my effort in 2005 which was a 1.56

No black stuff Carter however it was suggested after the race for a quick visit to the pub until we realised we had no money in our inappropriate image

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Ricky, That is a great result considering the conditions and course. Well done!

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Amazing time versus your previous results and conditions! Well done Ricky

• Options

Thanks Guys (& Gals)! Some way to go for the sub 1:40 goal mind you.... was 2 mins away from it on an undulating course at the end of March as my Spring Marathon training was peaking..... the last flat PB potential HM for me is in September which will come at a similar point in my Dublin training. That will be the window of opportunity for sub 1:40!

18 weeks to Dublin from Monday people!

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ricky - what plan are you following for Dublin ?

I had my first ever fell race this evening. It was lashing it down with race and the course was rather muddy. There was about 1200ft of ascent in the 6 miles which resulted in plenty of walking. The downhills were very tricky in places, well they were to me as I have never descended like that before and my trainers weren't really appropriate. I lacked some confidence so took my time going down them. At times we were above the level of the clouds. Although I run around that area fairly regularly I couldnt recognise where I was because of the clouds/mist. These fell runners are a hardy bunch and pretty damn fast too. I thought I would be in the middle of the pack when I arrived and looked at the other runners but I was more towards the back as they were a lot better than I gave them credit for. My legs are absolutely mashed now and I've never been in so much pain after a run. Tomorrow will be interesting. To conclude, I bloody loved it and will be going back for more image

• Options

P&D carter - 55 mile plan with a few more longer runs maybe .

wow a fell race?! Good for you ... the knee issues must be well & truly behind you for you to tackle that! Sounds like a blast - must be refreshing to do something different like that. Well Done sir!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Saw my physio on Tuesday. Result is that I need 2/3 weeks of rest and no running. Not been a happy camper all week.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carl - that's bad news, is it the ankle that is still injured ?

Ricky - yes, it was really good fun but a bit hairy on the descents. There are plenty of midweek races around here so I can look for some more to tie in with the training. The legs arent feeling too bad today actually. Here is the run - http://app.strava.com/activities/61748955

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Nice one Ricky - it sounded like a tough race in those condition.  I too am looking for a sub-1:40 this year or next, but I don't think it'll happen at Torbay this weekend.  I've got 2mins to knock off, which I think will be tough but hopefully doable sometime in Autumn or next Spring.  We'll see image  

I also felt I was in good shape in March (when I got my Half PB) before my May marathon.  I am looking at getting something in the diary for September for a Half to see how it goes, as that will be about the same time in the training cycle for my October marathon.

Carter - that looks a great challenge...congrats!  I don't love the off-road stuff, even if it's relatively light off-road.  I find myself being quite tentative, especially on downhills even if they're relatively small!  Not sure why it is, but I've always put it down to me being quite tall (6ft 3), but I don't really know if that's relevant.  I suppose I would get better with practice, but the vast majority of my training is done on-road or good paths/trails.

Carl - sorry to hear of your enforced rest image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

June 22nd - Wales Trail marathon – Spoons

June 23rd - Toad Hall 10k – Andrew

June 23rd - Torbay half - Big_G

June 23rd - Hampstead Midsummers 10k - Bruno, Carl *injured

Good luck to all the runners and racers over the weekend. Looking forward to hearing all your excuses, erm I mean race reports image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

Carl - that's bad news, is it the ankle that is still injured ?

Carter - yes and no. Despite me taking extra care, doing more stretches etc, I still had a niggle with my ankle. I can run and once through the first mile or so, it felt fine. But the morning after it was feeling stiff. So despite the fact that my peroneal tendons seemed to be much better, I figured it was time for a professional view.

After much manipulation, putting weight on it etc, he concluded that whilst I have been suffering from strained peroneal tendons following the incoident where I went over on my ankle, he is fairly confident that I have early symptoms of achilles tendinitis. Which is why he is saying other some strengthening exercises, running is out of the question.

This may or may not be related to the ankle injury. It might be a coincidence and it might be related to the fact that whilst I could run with the starined peroneal tendons I was putting stress on my achilles as a result.

He is hoping that I have caught it early enough and that 2/3 weeks of complete rest give it all a chance to recover. But it might take longer and I will just need to be patient which is not going to be easy with the nicer weatehr and all that.

So my 10k racing season is over for 2013. And of course my 18 week marathon training was due to kick in from this weekend.

Whilst it is good to know what is going on, it is so frustrating.

But as others on here have been through it and come back stronger, it gives me hope. But will probably stay being miserable until Monday.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Good luck to all those running this weekend. Just give it your all.

• Options

Carl - thought you'd been a bit quiet this week - that's sh*t news.... but looking on the positive side better to know & get it sorted early in terms of Dublin which I assume is your next "A" race... Not a disaster to miss the first 2/3 weeks of the plan as you are at a good base level to start with.

Carter - that profile of your fell race looks brutal! Great splits considering the ascents & terrain .... looks like a very respectable performance and one to be proud of! excellent stuff!

Good luck Big G for Torbay - what is the race strategy?

good luck also Spoons, Andrew & Bruno for the weekends races.

Another rest day for me today after wednesday evenings exertions - just a very pleasant round of golf mid afternoon/early evening today.... a pleasing back 9 with a surprising 8 over par gross.... don't ask about the front 9 though!

Hope to get a Long run in on sunday morning as I feel my endurance has really suffered since my Spring Marathon.

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Good luck to everyone running at the weekend.  Can't wait to hear how you all get on- it really spurs me to go and do similar.

Carl- shit to hear about you not being up to running for a bit.  However at least you are wisely taking a step out before you hurt yourself badly- better to avoid a big injury than to recover from one.

My running this week has been OK but not great.  5k on Tuesday in 25 minutes at the gym.  4.5 miles in 40 minutes on Wednesday after work- wanted to do more but couldn't muster the energy.  7 miles in an hour yesterday after work.  First few miles I felt super slow and lethargic but really picked up for the last couple and picked up the pace.

Tomorrow doing my fitness instructor exam so perhaps just a small run at night.  Sunday I thankfully have another day off from work so plan a long run.  Hoping to get at least 13 miles in, and if I feel good and have time, then I am game for more.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ricky - I do have a strategy which is basically to try and negative split.  This is what worked well for me at my PB in March, so depending on how I'm feeling I would go for 8min/mile for the first half and then see if I can step it up in the second half. This worked perfectly in March but the course was ideal for it because any hills were in the first half and it was flat/down hill in the second back to the start/finish area.  However, I know the Torbay course very well and it is hard to keep a consistent pace due to the hills so I think in reality it will be difficult to keep to this plan exactly.  Basically, I'll attempt to run relatively "comfortably" for the first half and then see how I feel in the second.  

The weather's not looking great though with winds and rain forecast.  I don't mind the rain, but parts of the course are very exposed to wind which can make it challenging. I'll just see how I feel I think and take it from there.

I looked at the race entrants yesterday and there are nearly 40 club mates running the race, so that will be good.  Because the course is basically two loops of an out-and-back course it means that you see people all the time and I think we'll be cheering each other on.  It's the first "big event" for me where large numbers of my club will be in attendance so that should be good.

• Options

Hi all

Wow what a lot to catch up on.

Ricky - That was a great, great run considering the circumstances you have to be well chuffed with that? I am pretty certain sub 1:40 is on the horizon for you on a kinder course.

Carter - That is a pretty terrific performance. I am slowly coming around to the attraction of cross country and fell running after loathing it as a kid, too many horrible P.E. sessions put me off. I've been doing trail running in prep for my next two racs coming up and I'm really enjoying it. I'm not sure living in East Anglia really lends itself to it though.

Carl - Crap news mate, gutted for you but on the plus side a nice early diagnosis and the timing of your time off shouldn't impact on the rest of your year too much. I'm sure Mrs.D is looking forward to having you sat around the house!

Everyone running races this weekend I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to your reports back across the weekend.

18 miles very, very slowly tomorrow. Very slowly.

• Options

Busy, busy over here!

Carl, I feel your pain image But you'll get over this and be running stronger before you know it!

A nice 8 miles again for me this morning- luv-erly! image