Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options

Well done on your PB MG1 imageimageimage
    Good report

Sorry to hear about your DNF FionaC.image
    It's a long way to go for a short run. Howver I'm sure there's plenty more to enjoy the rest of your visitimage

Was meant to be a rest day today, but lovely day after yesterday's storm so went for a muddy 7-8m mile walk along the west coast with Elspethimageimage

• Options

MG, fabulous race and report, amazing set of splits

OH, nothing wrong with a wee walkimage

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

MG1 Fantastic result well done on the massive PBimageimageimage

Fiona gutted for you after all the great work you had put in, it was great to talk to you again but please don't rush your next race before the calf is good to go ((((hugs))))

Teknik nice marathon pace run mate not much of the taper left now.

OH your getting all the bad weather at the moment well done on your run and todays walk.

Peeps hip still not 100% comes and goes, after todays run I worked till 5pm wall papering (lining paper) will start work on the oak floor tomorrow.... and just finished PADI Standards Mock B exam, going to bed nowimage.....

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Good stuff MG and a nice report image

Sorry to hear that, Fiona image Hope you're ok

Hope that cold's buggered off, Tek ?

• Options

Afternoon..

Aw Fiona sorry to hear things didnt go to plan, still better to stop sooner rather than later and cause more damage ..take care rest up x x

MGI awesome PB weldone you super race report and brillaint pacing all the more impressive just 2 weeks after a full marathon !!

I supported my son at Abingdon yesterday, he was convinced he could do a 3.20 of his 1.30 half time, I knew it was a little ambitious especailly off just a 17/18/19 totoal l long runs..all done way too fast at 7.30s ! ah the exuberance of youth !!..

A really exciting race to watch, near perfect conditions oh I wished I was running !..I plodded around 10 miles watching the race at various points and seeing my son at mile 5 in about 37 mins (bit fast me thinks )  ..  before grabbing a shower in time to see the winner...2.26 !!..the first lady came into the stadium at 2.58 ish..and we were screaming at her to get under the 3 hours..wow so.close !! her chip time was 3.00.01 !!! fabulous but gutting !!!

My son ran 3.32 a brilliant time for a first marathon off little training but I think he has learned to hard way marathons arent to be taken lightly.....you need lots of long SLOW runs.

Anyway after that I couldnt wait to come home and start thinking about some nice long runs in prep for VLM training, so woke up full of excitment , looked out the window to see sheets of rain and blowing a gale...undetered, trainers on, jacket on out the door 15.5 hilly disgusting wet and windy lovely miles in 2.32..bring on the winter marathon training ....again !!

• Options

4.5 easy done along with helping a lone farmer herding sheep in the middle image)

weather reasonably pleasant here for Octoberimage

• Options

OH I often have to scramble into a hedge to make way for a herd of sheep image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

--------

I've got a week off & have completed decorating the bedroom (apart from the glossing which I'll leave Chris to do).  Tomorrow is the lounge ceiling and a couple of the walls hopefully and also waiting for the guys who fitted Chris' car's new engine (unfortunately when they attempted to do the head gasket about 3 weeks ago they said the linings had dropped so arranged to come back last Friday to fit it) to come back as they didn't do some of the bolts up tight enough and to look at a misfire it has.  I'll be so glad when it's finally back on the road.

• Options

HM4 when are YOU back on the road ? image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN,

I did get out for a run last week so I'm getting back into things.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart nice hilly 6m on Saturday, and a good 10 miler yesterday.  I'm planning just a few short runs, then to break my streak on Friday when I fly out. 

OH well done on the swimming and running - and walking.  And indeed herdingimage

Stuart hope the knee's ok today

MG nice report, well done again - nice strong finishimage

NP hope the floor went ok today - mind the backimage

Mace thanks I think I've shaken it off now

NN well done to your son, and well done to you on that wet and windy 15.5m

HM fingers crossed for Chris's car

AGF good to see you're back in the swing of it

---

8m at MP yesterday went badly, but a little 3m run today restored some confidence.  Just three more runs...

• Options
    OH well done on your 4 and herding

Mace you were may well have been right about racing after a marathon but all done plus pb but it was a battle, will be facing same dilemma next year if all goes to plan.

NP thanks, hope the DIY has gone well.

NN great stuff from your son and good for you in getting out for the 15.5

Tek thanks,not too long to go now, you have done everything you can and more image

5 m easy tonight, needed to get out in the wind and rainimage and get the legs moving again , they feel a bit better now, a few days rest while away with work should help
  • Options

well done to the t'other racers; unlucky Fiona, hope you dbe terser next time xx

Palma. Beers, lots of good food, beer, and PB ice creams. Lovely!

Woke at 5am to get to the airport, and we finally got to the airport after registering for the race its men time for dinner. By Sunday morning we still didn't know how to get to the start line, but after waiting at the taxi rank for twenty minutes we got the bus which took nearly half an hour to wind round the two miles to the start. got arrived in time, but not enough time for the loo, considering the queues!

The weather forecast said it would warm up to 24*C so I thought about starting at my new PB pace and trying to hold on. The plan kinda worked and after a couple of slow miles I sped up to 8:30 pace -ish and then kinda realised they had changed the course to a windier and hillier course!

I was able to keep the pace through 10k and into the hill section. The second 10k is through the old city and shopping centre, and we remembered from 2010 that this section Ewan's akin to our "rolling hilsect efforts runs. It wasn't as hilly, but all farming threw tantrums at the five foot alley cobble floored alley ways with ancient castle walls lining each side and completely obscuring any satellite reception. All it meant was pushing up inclines and trying not to slip on the wet marble cobbles on the downhills with garmin reporting a rather suspicious 6:10 pace!

Having blagged my way through the city, I reached halfway in 1:51:04 about 90 seconds ahead of Nottingham. I still had enough mental capacity to work out that a 1:55 half would still get me a PB and that would mean a bit under 9 minute pace. The third 10k was through the back end of the city, down some lonely road past the airport and I was still comfortably around 8:30 miling though the clouds were thinning. I also had to chase down and overtake a midget - a whole six inches shorter than me - just because I couldn't be beaten by a bloke shorter than me! Little *******  made me run at 8:10 pace for a while!

The 30k mark was right next to the hotel we stayed at in 2010 so I knew the area quite well but it did mean turning back towards the finish, seeing the cathedral (finish line) 7 miles away, and think "oh bugger"! Luckily in one respect was that it was still misty over the other side of the city and I couldn't see ahead. The sun came out soon after and at around 20 miles it got hot and I really struggled to find any energy. I felt like I had really slowed, and spent four miles really really trying not to walk! at 24 I just pushed beyond the pain and lack of energy and was able to get a couple of semi- decent mile times, knowing that with 1.2 miles to go I had just 11 minutes to beat my PB.  Worse still, the route I remembered meant going round a large building next to the cathedral which meant my garmin would read about 26.5...

Fortunately, the end of the route had also changed and we had run through the crowds (3 lanes of road and the crowds filled all except an avenue about two yards wide!) then suddenly with only two minutes short of my PB there was a sign saying to run round a traffic cone with "200m to go". WHAT?!!! Right, blooming 'eck, SPRINT!!!

10k in 52:58

1/2 in 1:51:04

30k in 2:36:49 (PB)

2nd half 1:54:52

26.2 in 3:45:56

PB by 47 seconds!!!

and now... 4 days of holiday and 26*C forecast each day!

• Options

OH, the joys of Island life, well done nice run

NP, hope the floor laying went well today, keep rolling that hip and stretching

NN, well done to your son a great time, and well done get out for your 15 mile run in the wind and rain

Tek, nice run today, agree with MG all the hard work is done now, I'm confident you will have a great race

MG, nice 5 tonight, good to hear the legs are feeling better after your run

--------------------------------

No running tonight decided to play 5 a side football with some of the guys from work, legs are wrecked now, I'll stick to running marathons a lot less painful image

• Options

IJ congrats on another PB enjoy the rest of your breakimage

• Options

MG and IJ, thank you for two excellent race reports. Congratulations to the both of you for 2 excellent races - well done !!!   ( Both off good marathon training seasons)

tek - you will reap the rewards of your training at the weekend image

NN - well done on your running over the weekend too.

All is good here. A rest day sunday ( nice walk with lulu and wife instead) and intervals yesterday. All good. A jog tonight !!

• Options

IJ...very well done indeed especailly in that heat !!

AGF intervals !! good going, its been a long time since I have done an interval session...and it will be a long time till I have to do some more....I just love this base training ( lazy eh ?)

Tek I take it the cold is better ? have a nice easy week !

MG1 bask in the glory of that PB lots of easy running  and rest ...well done again !

Stewart, footballl is bad for the knees !! image

Weights and core class today, always a tough workout, lots of planks too, the intstructor is quite evil !image

followed by lovely gentle pilates class

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG nice easy 5, hope you recover quickly

IJ well done fella imageimage. Nice report and negative split in the heat too!!!

Stewart ouch, footie is a painful game image

AGF nice set of intervals

NN thanks, I'm over the cold.  Well done on the gym sessions.

---

Another quick 3m, all ok hereimage

• Options
    IC nice report and a good little PB to go with it image

AGF interval work already image

Tek well done on the fast 3

NN good gym work, mine to look forward to Thursday night.

Nothing doing here in Holland except work image and rest image
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Keep them crossed still as they didn't come today because they didn't finish their first job which they're going back to tomorrow and then coming onto us after.

-------------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options

Yep intervals. Why not. I am not training for anything so spice is the variety of life. Plodding is not always appealing image

That said 7 miles tonight image

• Options

AGF, Well done with the intervals and the 7 mile run today, I hate the thought of doing them but I do enjoy it once I've started, probably not doing them fast enough image

NN, if th pilates class is gentle then your pt instructor is indeed evil, well done getting through it image

Tek, I've been walking around like an old man today, another run ticked off well done

------------------------------------

Took the 5 mile JS group kept it fairly easy although the HR was elevated, more of a concern was the left Hammy it feels a little weak and the lower abs are a bit achy, I will assess tomorrow and either take a rest day or run very easy 

• Options

"club" run yesterday, as in four of us were able to run, and we pooled along the marina and onto the sea front promenade. Waves lapping against the rocks six feet to our right, and the gothic cathedral and fountains and statues to our left. It had clouded over a bit but the roadside temperature gauge still read 26*C.... just what running was invented for!

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG enjoy the restimage

HM fingers still crossed...

AGF well done on last night's 7m

Stewart well done on the 5m, hope the hammy's ok

IJ sounds great ! image

---

Just a 1m warm up then some strides here.  All okimage

• Options

Tapering ... (well actually stopped!)

RNLI course cancelled tonight due to "shout" so have evening off to get sorted

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Keep them crossed still as they're here working on it now.

-------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options

IJ, sounds like a really nice run image

OH, enjoy the taper image

Tek, The hammy is still feeling a bit weird there is no pain at all during exercise but I can feel a little tenderness when I press into it image, nice to get out and get the legs moving, how is the forecast looking for Frankfurt, hopefully cool with a little drizzle and a gentle breeze

--------------------------------------------

4 miles easy around the river, the abs doms are easing just not sure whats going on with the hammy, I am meant to be racing on Sunday so I'll need to try some quicker stuff and see how it reacts

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH hope you enjoyed the evening off.  Good luck for Saturdayimage

HM hope the car trouble's over

Stewart nice easy 4, hope the abs and hammy issues clear up - good luck for Sunday.  Frankfurt forecasts are varied but it looks like a bit too hot 16C with thunder storms from noon(10:30 kick-off).image

Jason hope you're ok for Snowdonimage

---

That's it, 3m this morning and the streak of 167 days is over.  Now off to packimage

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Weekend Racers:

26/10/13 Snowdonia                Jason D, OH
    27/10/13 Frankfurt                   Teknik, Johnas, Emmy
    27/10/13 Culloden 17.46k        Stewart C

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Tek - WOW, 167 days !! that's an amazing stat and you deserve a great marathon. I see the temperature for Sunday isn't too bad at the moment with a bit of rain ( which could be nice) and not too much wind. What's your number ?

Stewart - hope the hammy sorts itself, very easy / rest sounds favourite.

Good Luck to all this weekend's racers image