Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Mace thanks.image  Number is 3782.  I'm going for 3:23.  I'm in the first pen, however (sub 3:15), and there's a 7 minute gap before they release the 3:15 to 3:30 pen, so it looks like I'm going to be running on my own for at least the first half.image

• Options

Enjoy the Race Teknik !!! image  .......looking forward to the report !!

( Ps - I think you will be dragged along with the 3:15 crew  )

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Good luck jason and OH at Snowdonia!  image

Teknik you are in the right pen for your pace. You have trained so hard and getting away early will be certainly help you get into your stride. image 

Stewart I see the signs up already for Sunday, I must remember not to go into town via the top road! image Have a great run!

Been on the turbo and out on my other bike but can't do any hill work just basic spinning. image I have a physio appointment tomorrow so can maybe start planning what next after that.

F

• Options

StewartC - 3 of our JS group heading down to Culloden (after a marathon shop in Inverness!). Enjoy ...

Hope all goes well in Frankfurt Tek Emmy Johnas

JasonD Good to see that you're going to make it to SNOD, although I suspect  I'll only see your tail disappearing into the distance (even if you are treating it just as training run)

Broken night due to work last night so hoping to catch up on some sleep during travellingimage

• Options
    Tek go for it, you are in good shape and have done the hard work

Jason and OH good luck for Snowdonia

Fiona hopefully the physio can sort it out.

Another unflattering photo attached from Sunday, hurting I think, must be an easier way to finish a raceimage back Home layer , a trainer session tonight - after the last two days its going to be tough!

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/photo.py?template=MPX2&event=Sports/GRUK/2013/Bupa Great Birmingham Run&photo=GBRF1707&bib=2721
  • Options

Teknik, if you want some inspiration for sub 3:15 read the blog by Windsor Wool on fetch.....that will get your motivation right up !!!

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Fiona good to hear you can get some work done on the bike, at leastimage

MG LoL nice photo!image

OH safe tripimage

AGF thanks, that was a good read.  WW is a slacker based on that 1:23 Half !!image

• Options

Tek, excellent you have made it and what an awesome streak, now rest up load up on carbs and come in on the 3:15 train image

Mace, yeah that's the plan, easy running and if it is still playing up I won't race on Sunday, I've got a HM the following weekend and would like to see if I can get below 1:50

Fiona, hope the physio has some good news,

OH, hate shopping my better half wants to go through to Aberdeen on Saturday to do christmas shopping, the drive into and out of Aberdeen fills me with dread, good luck on Sunday

MG, I've seen worse photo's

Jason, good luck on Sunday too

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

I wish. The misfire has been cleared however it needs a lambda sensor.  Thankfully this isn't too expensive (£40 including the correct size of spanner) & they've given Chris advice on fitting it and also the exhaust manifold gasket (which they didn't have at the time of doing the engine) so he's going to do that on Saturday.  The good news is that the car is driveable provided he's sensible & doesn't push it. 

---------

Well done on everyone's training.

No lie in for me tomorrow unlike the rest of the week as the boiler repair man is coming tomorrow because the boiler's pack up.  Thankfully it's a rented flat so it's down to the landlord to sort this out.

• Options

HM, you've had your fair share of breakdowns, good news that the car is almost fully repaired

-----------------------------------------

took the 4 mile JS group last night, it was huge there were around 28 runners, and only two leaders to manage the varying degrees of abilities, misjudged the route a bit and it came in at 4.8 miles

• Options

Been reading the past week, but not training so haven't posted.

Finally got some training done todayimage 5km on the treadmill, then some weights. Still not fully fit, quite a bit off it actually, but I think I'm well enough to get stuff done. 10k in a fortnight is almost certainly getting binned.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekendimage

• Options
    now on train from Manchester Airport to Bangor. Will spend afternoon with middle daughter (bangor uni) before bus to Llanberis ...

thanks for good wishes everyone
  • Options

Weekend Racers:

26/10/13 Snowdonia                Jason D, OH

27/10/13 Frankfurt                   Teknik, Johnas, Emmy

27/10/13 Culloden 17.46k        Stewart C

27/10/13 Worksop 1/2               Jim 

• Options

Back home now, washing kit and catching up on housework and e-mails. Greatly wanna run today but the need for non-chlorine smelly shorts is greater!

The trip to Palma really was awesome; I recommend the city, the island and the marathon (or even the half or 10k) to anyone. Well organised, well supported and there agree plenty of other British runners to keep pace or company with. Lots of expats and British holiday makers on the route, so we were never more than a couple of miles from a crowd of rowdy support and Union flag waving! Even some support from one of our rival clubs in Lincoln!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

This is our typical luck.  When things start to go wrong everything happens usually.  At least the boiler is sorted now.  Well done on your run.

IJ,

Sounds a friendly race.

----------

Good luck to the weekend's racers.

• Options

SM, good too see you running again, 

OH, such a lovely part of the world, hope you enjoy the weekend

IJ, sounds like a really good event

HM, thanks, hopefully your luck will change for the better

Fiona, how did the physio session go? hopefully you got some good news

----------------------------------------

Easy 4 before body balance, it was raining heavily and I got soaked through by a couple of cars going through puddles and covering me from head to toe, fortunately it wasn't cold 

• Options

Easy 3 mile run around the canal perfect day for a run hope it is as nice tomorrow image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

It's niot changing quickly enough as the engine management light is still on & indicating a random misfire, so he's looking for better engine diagonstic software or a mobile mechanic with specailist Rover diagnostic software.

Well one on your run.

• Options
    Stewart nice little 3 earlier

16 m this morning @ 8.37, a tough breezy one .
  • Options

MG - Nice run this morning. Well done

Stewart - Good wee run earlier, good luck tomorrowimage

IJ - Well done on the PB, sounds like a good event. Good luck for the half.

OH - Sounds like a good weekend. Hope today went well.

------------

7.6 including 22.54 parkrun.

Was hoping to run sub 23 minutes, so can't complain with the time. HR was higher than I thought it would be, that'll just likely be a lack of fitness. RHR was down quite a bit compared to last week.

Going hillwalking tomorrow I think. Might try to sneak in a short run later.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

MG & Stuart,

Well done.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Good luck all racers tomorrow.

Stewart, I was told that I have definitely torn the calf and keep tearing it every time I run so have to give it 3-6 weeks which scuppers my cunning plan to do Pisa marathon in December. Another appt next Friday to check progress. Not much running allowed (2 miles max on grass from the start of the week) and no outdoor cycling as apparently I have no self control! imageAllowed to turbo on easy gears so 16 miles this afternoon. Looks like it could be an ok day for the Culloden runs tomorrow.

F

• Options
    Thoroughly enjoyed today though a tough one.

Time not great (5h23) but what hey, wasn't looking for a PB.

Managed first half in 2h08 without pushing myself but got slower after Beddgelert(13 miles). Bwlch y Groes (Killer hill beginning 21.7 miles) was unrelenting. By that time wind was fairly strong and buffeted us around a bit. Legs spent so even final descent was slow.

Revived by few cups of tea and changed into dry clothes, I then got drenched again walking back out to b+b. Dinner with daughter at Peak Restaurant.

Nice to meet WABO (Camlo and Jenf) on the run.

Good to have done but right now am in no hurry to sign up for SNOD2014
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Hi Peeps,

Fiona sorry to hear about your calf but don't rush your come back.

Jason hope you got on well today at Snod.

OH sounds like you had a good race sir.

Teknik good luck for tomorrow hope the weather is ok for the race.

took 5 days of no running, ran my hill this morning but was busted, will get out again tomorrow. Agreed a price for the sale of our house but will be moving anyway next month. Take care run and train hard.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Great news on the house NP! Good luck with tomorrow's run, I hope the hip behaves.

OH I thought your run was tomorrow - well done, sounds a tough one. I hope Jason's run went well.

F

• Options
    Jason D completed in about time expected I think (but he's still in Y Gwynedd right now I suspect)

I couldn't face another walk in the rain up the road to B+B so got got dropped off by daughter's taxi back to Bangor
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.  I'm hopefully going to get out for a run before the horrible weather starts coming in.

• Options
    Fiona good news in a way that you now know what the problem is and can get it fixed.

NP good news on the house, are you moving far from your beloved hillimage?

OH well done on your race yesterday , not easy by the sounds of the conditions and hills

HM4 hope you get out for that run
  • Options

I am looking forward to seeing how Tek has done - and to hear the report. 

Today I did a "hilly 10" in Ilmington.  The course is not hilly - it just has one hill. But it is quite brutal ( for the likes of me). it starts at about 1100 metres into the race and goes on for over 2km. Its quite steep in places and I admit that I had to walk in a couple of places due to the lactic in my legs. The good news is that there is a faily long downhill as a reward to getting to the top.  Views at the top look over warwickshire/oxfordshire- lovely !

This is part of a race series - one per month over the winter. A hoody for doing them all and local sausages at the end. Needless to say I just enjoyed a them on some white bread as my reward.  I plan to use this race series to due a monthly "tempo" run and/or track improvements over the winter. I know I should improve as training has been light and I am overweight. 

Very enjoyable morning.....Splits tell their own story !!

7:59 10:05 7:10 6:45 7:05 7:31 (6.55 pace for last section of 0.31)

48.42 Finish Time. I see the winner is about 4 mins slower than another 10k he run locally. 

So the course measured a little long on my garmin - but is within tlerance considering I was zigzaging a little. Its a line in the sand I hope to improve next month... and through the winter...

( waits to see how teknik did )  

PS - Well done OH and Jason - thats some acheivement doing snowdonia !!

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Good hill work AGF !

18M this morning, longest run since April. Started in the peeing rain and wind and after 4M the weather just switched off, morphed into a beautiful morning and I was hugely over dressed image

Since then I've been following Tek online which was a bit of a nail biter....