Options

Reading Half Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Haha fantastic. I am considering the Greensand Marathon for my second marathon. That should remove the Pancake'itis image

• Options
    @SuperMoo - my chip number is different to my race number too. I suspect its the same for all.

Very close now and I am amazed I am still in as I have been struggling with niggles since November.

I'm gonna take it easy, will watch the start then join the back.

Shame on Reading FC for sacking Brian McDermott. Was quite fond of them up until yesterday, now they seem as ridiculously short-sighted as nearly every club. I shall be letting out a quiet boo as I enter their reasonable stadium.

Good luck for the next few days folks, lets hope it dont snow on Sunday.
  • Options

And there was me wondering if Brian M would be running the RHM agan this year.  Gutted he's gone image  A gentleman, who won't stop the inevitable, but would be a good manager to mount a promotion challenge next season.  Football rant over, thank you for listening!!

• Options

Agree- Mr Madejski would never have behaved in such a poor manner.

• Options
    andyp wrote (see)

Agree- Mr Madejski would never have behaved in such a poor manner.

ummm. Madjeski is still club Chairman....so may have had some involvement!

Anyway, it won't spoil the fun Sunday I am sure of that. 

• Options

I'll have fun, come rain, snow, sun or whatever we end up with Weather-wise!

• Options

Radio Berkshire has just given Reading Half weather for Sunday.  6 degrees with sunny spells and the occasional heavy shower.  A bit breezy (guaranteed in your face down the dual carriageway) but should be OK - definitely better than Wokingham Half a few weeks ago - took me ages to get warm again!

• Options

I'm out. I'll be on the last day after a 7 day course of antibiotics. I got a very stern "No" when I asked whether running it steady was acceptable. I've struggled all winter with niggling injuries and lack of motivation due to the new ice age so possibly no bad thing. After 2 full marathon DNS's last year I'm hoping that things do come in 3's and normal service will be resumed soon!

• Options
    Are we there yet wrote (see)

Radio Berkshire has just given Reading Half weather for Sunday.  6 degrees with sunny spells and the occasional heavy shower.  A bit breezy (guaranteed in your face down the dual carriageway) but should be OK - definitely better than Wokingham Half a few weeks ago - took me ages to get warm again!

I was the same AWTY.  I got colder walking back to the car after the Wokingham half!!

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

cold i can handle, rain not a problem, wind is a whole different kettle of fish though! Wokingham was horrible but at least the wind didn't really show up. Keeping the fingers crossed for the sunny spells on Sunday

• Options
    Just wondering how many layers to put on ... Agree with earlier comment about effects of new ice age. Have had to give up on training aspirations of sub 2 hour race image still looking forward to my first RHM though image
  • Options

As far as I'm aware, all spare clothing is collected and given to the local shelter but don't quote me on that.  I'm still going to be in long sleeves - I'm a bit of a big girl when it comes to cold and wet, and find that because I don't run that fast I struggle to maintain body temperature.  Wokingham really wiped me out as I set out at 9 min mile pace, got cold, got even colder and did my last mile in just over 12 minutes!  This time WILL be different!

• Options

weather forecast is far enough away to change ...the heavy rain bit anyway

• Options

I have trained this winter and it has been so cold you dare not stop running once in motion. Consequently, I have found myself running some decent distances for someone of my limited credentials. Good luck to all the ruuners in the Reading half - I can handle the cold but can't stand running in the rain !!  

• Options
    grrrrrr i know it serves me right for not entering earlier, but got a place off here, apparently from someone with a target time of under 1:45 and its turned up as a green starting zone number..Seriously not a happy bunny ! Im actually going to spend the entire race tripping over people ffs ;-(
  • Options
    think its pretty safe to say Bugs aint going to be hitting the planned 1:40 now !
  • Options
    Thatll probably be about right DF to be honest, but ill probably be too far behind at the start....Planning to get as close to the front of Green as i can !
  • Options
    Had problems getting held up last year starting from Red !
  • Options
    Super MooSuper Moo ✭✭✭

I don't believe it.   

Finished my last run before Sunday, injury free and what happens?  My dance partner decides to spear my big toe with her heels, not once, not twice but three times.  There was no fourth time as I threatened to drop her if she did it again.  

Tango be dangerous.  

I'll preempt the "You've Been Tango'd" comments...

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

My parents and some friends want to come and watch but they will be in their own cars and do not have pre-booked parking. Can anyone advise me as to what the best place for them to park might be? In the case of my parents they do have a disabled badge but my friends don't. 

Also, is the best place for them to watch in the Stadium or is there somewhere that the runners loop past more than once? 

Hope someone can help.

• Options

Are there any shower facilities near by?

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

No shower facilities in the race itself. Sorry, I found the answers to my questions in the race guide. Will have my parents park in town and get a shuttle bus.

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

For spectators it seems the choices is to

- watch the start and then head in to the stadium for the finish 

or

- watch the start and stay there so you can see the runners just before and after mile 12 (they wont get in to the stadium before the runners if they are here)

Is that right?