Options

Reading Half Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    ah ok well im guessing you didnt catch me then , and must have stayed pretty much the same distance behind me all the way....I think the gun time was 1:45:xx when i finished, but no idea how long it took to get to the start line, so im only guessing at my finish time of 1:42 m but im sure youd have noticed had you gone past me, my ears are quite largeimage
  • Options
    Just caught myself on the Meridian newsimage Im a famous Wabbit woo hoo
  • Options
    I was further back started feet in front of the 2.05 pacer, got overtaken by him going up to the university park (3miles), but kept him in sight and got him back going down towards the a33 (10 miles) and pushed to keep him behind me. Overheard him mention to some he knew that he was 30secs fast... Hit the finish at 2.04, but still got beaten by the wateraid camel!!

Great race great crowds, and the first time I have actively used a pacer so if anyone knows him, then please buy him a drink on my behalf!!

Wayne
  • Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Such a shame about the weather! Otherwise I really enjoyed myself and the crowds and marshals were fantastic.
  • Options
    ah that sprint up the hill killed you off image Thats my least favorite section of the race from the oracle up through the arch, doesnt look like much but its a testing little section, and then you turn the corner and face the climb up Russell street. I slowed quite a bit in the last couple but like i said to you at 10k, i had 5 minutes in the bank at that point so could afford to ease a little.
  • Options
    Well done to all marshals/helpers/crowd etc....weather deteriorated in last few miles and shocking at the finish and the traipse back to baggage was sooo cold and wet. GPS showed 13.25 probably due to zigzagging around slower runners at the start.
  • Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭

They had published something, but it looked all wrong. They removed the searchable results now, and I can't access the PDF.

http://www.readinghalfmarathon.com/results13/results13.cfm

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

David Falconer.. that was NOT flat! image I had a great day though. It was freezing cold and wet but I got a PR at 1:45:18 (garmin time). The only really annoying bit was the bit in middle of town where you had to walk through that tunnel between the shops. The run was rather crowded and it was tough to run in a straight line in places - perfect training for the London Marathon so not annoying for me. After the race I was extremely thankful that my bag was in the number 6000+ tent. I was able to walk in and get it right away. The poor sods in the 1-6000 mens tent were in an epic long queue in the rain. I wouldn't have been able to stand in that myself! I didn't bother changing in there as the changing area was flooded - a good thing because when I changed at my car my clothes were dry for the drive home! image Result.

The other bits that were stressful for me were the fact that I could not find any signs to get me back to the pink car park and i was so tired, cold and wet that I was a bit disorientated. Eventually some marsihalls pointed me in the right direction. The walk to the pink car park was rather painful too - but only because it was absolutely freezing and because I really pushed hard in the race and so was knackered.

I was going to follow a pacer. I found the 1:40 pacer and he told me that the 1:45 pacer had not turned up. This was a bit cheeky - the 1:45 pacer was not far behind him. Luckily i found him before the start as this is where I was meeting another forum member. Unfortunately that pacers flag fell off a few miles in to the run image He soon disappeared but I got the result I wanted anyway! image 

Will sleep well tonight!

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I reckon their web site is hosted on a zx spectrum in some remote part of the world connected to the internet by a string and two tin cans!

• Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭
    Khanivore wrote (see)

After the race I was extremely thankful that my bag was in the number 6000+ tent. I was able to walk in and get it right away. The poor sods in the 1-6000 mens tent were in an epic long queue in the rain.

I had the discussion with a friend before the race. If you sorth the numbers by starting time and pen then you can colour code them, easy for marshals to start you correctly. But people with similar numbers start and finish together, making long queues.

When I finished I was able to go streight to my bag, there was a queu on teh 6,000+ tent. I just got lucky to run from the blue estart into teh red finishers who were queuing 6,000+ side.

The alternative is to drop bags by name, but then there is either no easy way to sort the bags for each letter, or you have forfit the colour coding of numbers and the start gets terrible.

• Options

Did anyone run with the 1.30 pacer? I was aiming to run my first sub 1.30 and was going well until he accelerated past me at mile 5 as we went through the narrow gap towards The Oracle. My spirits went but kept going and then saw him in my sight at mile 10. I manage to catch him just before mile 12 and despite having no energy left, feeling very cold and legs hurting felt it was the nearest I had been to ever running under 1.30 so I went for it........I ran past him and kept going...I crossed the line some 45 seconds after him and my jubilation turned to disappointment as my time was clocked at 1.31. Still pleased with my time but felt very disappointed that I thought I had broken the sub 1.30.

• Options

Can anyone get on the results site now? It is getting quite frustrating...

Perhaps I am just spoilt by same-day results!

• Options
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75873902/half2013.pdf results have been uploaded to dropbox by some kind soul.
  • Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Brighton was amazing for results. less than 5 mins after crossing the line the results were texted to my phone! Amazing image

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Karlsp - i saw a lady in a rabbit outfit. Was she from your warren? image

• Options
    Karlsp wrote (see)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75873902/half2013.pdf results have been uploaded to dropbox by some kind soul.

The provisional results appear to have errors in them. A few club mates are missing from the list as am I. Suspiciously there is someone with my name just a couple of digits out on the race number and a finish time just off as well.

Great running in that outfit - I caught up with you at one of the later water stations as I chased down the 1:40 pacer and I enjoyed all the "Bugs" cheers that followed you round.

• Options

What a day that was.

I have to say a huge "well done" for the crowds to stand out in that weather and support the runners- amazing!

Enjoyed the run, not sure of my time yet, but around 2:14 (ish).

I saw bugs on the Meridian News too - and I was overtaken by the Wateraid camel image

• Options

Loved the whole experience, despite the cold and rain. First one and will definately sign up for next year.

2:13:08, Hypothermia and Trench Foot

• Options

Wow, that was a cold and wet run! Hoped to get a pb of just over 1:37 but made the rookie mistake of going off to fast and really struggled over the last couple of miles, finished just under 1:39.

Thanks to all the volunteers who turned up in the appalling weather to make it a largely hassle free event. My only gripe was those new fangled water bottles, not seen them before. Tried tugging the tag off with my teeth and then realised that you just give them a big squeeze and they shoot out a jet of water. I choked with the pressure and spent the next 30 secs coughing and spluttering image

• Options

I did that too reefseeker, got the hang of it in then though, thought they were miles better than plastic bottles for twiting your ankles on.....

• Options
    ah yes those water bags.....Grrrrrr impossible in a rabbit head ! Gave up and survived on Lucozade which i disposed of very carefully unlike some i saw dropping them in the middle of the road.....idiots...
  • Options
    Talking of idiots - what's with runners spitting. Never seen this in a race before saw it loads yesterday - including someone doing that revolting open air nose blow thing. With reservation I can accept people running with music but this is just selfish beyond belief.

Anyway, sorry to lower the tone.

Still a great race despite the conditions. Big thanks to the marshalls and spectators and most of all the drummers.
  • Options
    wayne.allen wrote (see)
    I was further back started feet in front of the 2.05 pacer, got overtaken by him going up to the university park (3miles), but kept him in sight and got him back going down towards the a33 (10 miles) and pushed to keep him behind me. Overheard him mention to some he knew that he was 30secs fast... Hit the finish at 2.04, but still got beaten by the wateraid camel!!

Great race great crowds, and the first time I have actively used a pacer so if anyone knows him, then please buy him a drink on my behalf!!

Wayne

That's Martin Bush - I spoke to him along the A33 section.  He runs a marathon most weeks, and has done 500+!!!

• Options

Andy Ward 8, yes that 1:30 pacer was off. He passed me somewhere around mile 4/5, and I overtook him a little bit after mile 11 and finished comfortably ahead of him. I clocked 1:30:17. Hmmmmm.

• Options

Im with you Johnny2323 - totally disgusting and no need - If your that desparate use your shirt so you can continue covered in snot rather than hurling it on the legs of the people next to you image

• Options

I did it in 2:04, it's my 2nd half (Did Warrington last year) and beat the time by 6 minutes image - thought it was a great day and a fab atmosphere. Was funny me, hubby & friend trying to get dry and changed in the car, our 11 yr old and 19 yr old didn't know where to look! It was a long slow 200 miles drive back!