Options

Reading Half Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

I'm in. ran Silvertsone 2 weeks ago, 15 miles last weekend but I'm looking forward to reading as I'm running some of the streets I grew up in as a kid.... all prep for VLM. Wifey is running the green Park Challenge so we have to turn up doubly early...

Wayne

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Wayne - similar story here. Did Brighton 4 weeks ago, then a 20 mile run, then Silverstone 2 weeks ago, then a 20 mile run last weekend, now it's Reading image Will do long runs for the following 2 weekends before tapering for the VLM image

• Options

Hi Guys!

I'll be there Sunday morning too image!
    It will be my first half marathon/first running event ever! Any tips for the course?
    I'm currently trying to decide on what my dinner should be Saturday night... And what to eat Sunday morning for that matter! Any suggestions?

• Options
    @Khanivore

This podcast has some nice advice on where spectators can see you twice with a short walk. Point 12 about 30 mins in:

http://intelligentrunning.com/make-your-rhm-rock-webinar-recording

@katie

There's some nice things to look forward to - the university has great support, the drummers under the flyover are fab and the stadium finish is wonderful. The toughest part is the final two miles cos they're the most boring so what I do is try to find someone ahead of me to either keep up with or pass.

Also have the word "easy" in your head the whole time. It's only a long run innit.
  • Options

Hi Katie,

Personally always have porridge and a couple of slices of malt loaf for breakfast - oh and a cup of coffee will help nature take it;s course (if ya know what I mean!) 

Normally I'll have a big dollop of paella on Saturday night but as I'm off to a party tomorrow I'm going to have the paella tonight and stock up on the carby party snacks tomorrow!

You'll love the race - Johnny 2323 saiys it as it is "easy"  There's so many people around, both taking part and spectating that you won't feel alone and there's always someone to tag onto when you start feeling the pressure.

There are good pace makers too at (I think) 5 minute intervals so hang on to one of those!

• Options

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I'll be there on Sunday for my third time at Reading.

After 2 pretty poor runs over the years I'm hoping it's third time lucky. Aiming for sub 1:45 although a nasty cough/cold has hampered my training a bit in the last week or so.

• Options

Katie its not good advice to try anything new to eat at this stage,just eat what you have been eating during training.

• Options

Don't talk to me about colds image.... my training has been going so well, no niggles, but I have a splitting headache today. I'll be fine so long as

(a) my current 3 day lurgy lifts in the next 36 hours

(b) it's not too blustery on sunday. I hate running into the wind.

Tough luck there, bugs. I won't tell anyone if I see you in the wrong pen.

• Options

There are good pace makers too at (I think) 5 minute intervals so hang on to one of those!

Excellent pace makers I'd say (especially the one running the 1.55 pace group!!). There are pacers from 1:30 to about 2:30 so plenty to hang on to.

• Options

Another victim of the virus here - haven't run for 10 days now. The symptoms are finally clearing up now so I'm going to drive down tomorrow, but I'll have to settle for a sensible steady run rather than a race against time.

Khanivore: My OH and kids have tried the sitting in the stadium approach and enjoyed the atmosphere, but their vantage point of choice is by the Green Park entrance roundabout, where they get to see more action and can cheer me on three times. I really appreciate the support heading in to Green Park and on the way out, just before the little climb to the stadium.

• Options
    I think everyone with virus should go in the green penimage and all Wabbits in the Redimage Have a great day everyone. but if anyone with a red no# happens to be unfortunate enough to have to drop out please let me know.....
  • Options

I have a free Red number but I am sure that if you really want to run in an earlier pen just explain to the marshalls on the day and I am sure they will let you in. Of course helps if you look the part and are not puffing away on a Woodbine etc....   

• Options
    hey bedders the marshalls wont let me move at all they are very strict and rightly so....You say you have a red number spare are you going on the day or are you local and could it be collected..Really need to start from redimage
  • Options
    ok i think im sorted now with a redimage
  • Options
    Have a great run everyone...... Despite the rain!
  • Options

rain     -   its  snowing in swindon at the moment

• Options

had a great day! Does anyone know when the results are posted?

• Options
    Super MooSuper Moo ✭✭✭
    Jesus H Christ what horrible weather.

Was aiming at 1h50 and managed 1h48:04.

If i hadn't fallen arse over tit up the hill around two miles it might of been under 1h48.

One thing that i thought was odd was the pace guys. If you want people to line up in time order at the start why have the pace guys so far forward? I was near the 1h50 marker and in the distance i could see the 1h55 pace maker. Never did catch him...
  • Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭
    Super Moo wrote (see)

One thing that i thought was odd was the pace guys. If you want people to line up in time order at the start why have the pace guys so far forward? I was near the 1h50 marker and in the distance i could see the 1h55 pace maker. Never did catch him...

They are volunteers and don't always get it 100% right. The ytry their best to do it. I started half way between the 1:40 and teh 1:45 guy and didn't se either of them all race, so these 2 must have got it right.

I found the start a bit congested, there still are a lot of people starting too far ahead to the pace they want to run.

• Options

SuperMoo, you must have been close to me, I was also aiming for between 1.50 and 1.55 and did it in 1.49 so am v chuffed. (my previous half marathon was Milton Keynes in 2005, I did it in 1.55) I was stood next to the 1.50 pacer at the start then I lost him, he was far ahead, then I saw him at the entrance to the stadium, he must have realised he had gone off too fast.

I think despite the weather, it was very well organised and a big thank you to all the marshalls and volunteers who stood in the pouring rain just for us.

• Options
    Lars you must have been close to me i started exactly mid way between the 1:40 & 1:45 pacemakers, although strangely enough i was just behind the 1;40 marker, but a good 50m behind the pace maker. Didnt see him or the guy behind all race,,,Dont know what my finish time was but im guessing 1:42
  • Options
    I did notice a lot of slower runners in the first couple of miles, and given my limited costume vision almost had a few fateful collisions, so sorry if I bumped anyone. Dont think i caused any falls though.... A lot of the slower runners that i saw cwere wearing blue and green numbers so they must have started towards the front of the red pen....Really dont know why they insist on doing this, they must make the race very uncomfortable for themselves,...... The marshalls were putting people in the right pens, but i clocked loads of people simply coming under the tape across the front of blue into the red section. They were no marshalls there to stop that happening, so potentially you could go in orange and just walk forward through all the pens...
  • Options
    Lars you must have been close to me i started exactly mid way between the 1:40 & 1:45 pacemakers, although strangely enough i was just behind the 1;40 marker, but a good 50m behind the pace maker. Didnt see him or the guy behind all race,,,Dont know what my finish time was but im guessing 1:42
  • Options
    I did notice a lot of slower runners in the first couple of miles, and given my limited costume vision almost had a few fateful collisions, so sorry if I bumped anyone. Dont think i caused any falls though.... A lot of the slower runners that i saw cwere wearing blue and green numbers so they must have started towards the front of the red pen....Really dont know why they insist on doing this, they must make the race very uncomfortable for themselves,...... The marshalls were putting people in the right pens, but i clocked loads of people simply coming under the tape across the front of blue into the red section. They were no marshalls there to stop that happening, so potentially you could go in orange and just walk forward through all the pens...
  • Options
    Just to say I was running the 1:55 pace group and came in around 1:54:45 chip time. We all lined up at the start against the marker posts for our times so apologies if people couldn't find us etc..
    Hope eveyone enjoyed it even though the weather was bad. 
  • Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭

Karl, what did you run as? I only remember the ginger bread man costume and an ice cream cone as fancy dress. I think there was a spider man as well, bu tthat doesn't impede visability.

• Options
    Great job Bedders, we all know its a fairly thankless task that you guys carry out......but not all of you did ;-p The 1:40 guy was a good 50m in front of the 1:35-1:40 post.
  • Options
    I was Bugs Bunny, started right at the back of the red pen..
  • Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭

I was towards the front of blue, maybe 10m behind the red pen. Didn't see a bunny all day long. Well doen for running in a costume in these conditions. My long sleeve shirt picked up  alot of water and was heavy, these costumes must way a few kg extra.

I usually like starting at the very back of a pen, did that in Berlin. Everybody bunches up and you get space to warm up. But I wanted to be in front of the 1:45 guy as I expect he pulled a crowd of congestion with him, and I wanted to be in front of that.