Options

Barcelona Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Don't forget the Garmins have a tolerance of +/- 2.5% which is quite big over the course of a marathon. I always use mile to mile splits however with the metrics this time I did 5k splits which helped break the race up nicely and made it seem a bit shorter. I have crossed to the dark side and bought myself a garmin myself so hopefully I will get on ok with it. Nice easy 5 mile recovery just now and my groin felt fine so here's hoping!

• Options

Banksy - the blue line was all over the place - did not appear to be the shortest route! At one point is was the overside of the road that was blocked off.

• Options
    Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

Oh right that explains why I ended up in that Tapas bar at mile 14....

What I really meant is that I took the shortest possible route bar a few metres image

Yea the Garmin does have tolerances of course..... however on that basis if you were to take the average of 50 readings you would expect them to be accurate.... taking a sample size of 10 they are all 200-400m over...(average around 300m) .... that's a lot of zigzagging for water and bananas! image

• Options
    Well done everyone, some great times and efforts on here.

Sadly not from me. Ran the first half as I wanted too with steady 5m k's and drank lots too so felt fine.

Then it got hot! I started to suffer on that out and back to place de glories and by km 32 had cramp coming on and it turned into a walk/run. Just by the arc de triomphe full on cramp kicked in and I had to stop and stretch out for a few minutes. Time gone and legs gone too at that point I finished in 3:50:33

All in all gutted, a lot of training and money invested for a naff time.

Oh and I was pick pocketed at the metro station yesterday, more euros than I care to mention gone and only 1/3 insured.

I did enjoy the football but don't think I'll be rushing back to Barcelona
  • Options

Very sad to hear Matt, you can't blame yourself, the heat surprised a lot of people. Crap you were pick pocketed. It almost happened to me as well. I was sitting at mcdo after the race with my wallet next to me at the table when suddenly two men came to me with a paper. They were very intimidating and wanted to distract me so they could catch my wallet. I immediately felt uncomfortably with it and the moment i put my hand on my wallet they run away. At least you saw a great game. Barcelona is like a rose with a lot of thorns. Extremely beautiful, but you constantly have to be aware. 

• Options

Matt - Really sad to hear about the pick pockets - Gits! Dont worry about the time - It happens on marathons and what makes them so addictive, Its easy to predict a 10k time, but you never really know in a marathon what it may throw at you. In Amsterdam last year I was on for a good time and got dehydrated and cramp.

Hope you get to do a better one soon

• Options
    John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Sorry to read that Matt. Someone in our party had their iPhone nicked (although I think they made it easy for them) - I was ultra cautious throughout our trip, even when I was out for the count on Sunday evening! I'd definitely go back to Barcelona though

• Options
    FlatBoyFlatBoy ✭✭✭
    /members/images/742324/Gallery/mekevsean2.png

The Monk wrote (see)

Flatboy I have a feeling I saw you during the race.  Were you running with two other fellas?  NWRRC on the back of your vests?  You came passed me at about mile 5/6, then I went passed you, then somehow passed you again when there was just two of you?!

Nice one Monk, yeah that was us for sure (as above!). You must have passed us for the last time I'm guessing somewhere after 18.5 miles I'm guessing.  Well done on your pb! 

I have been lucky enough to pick up a London Place last night!  So I'm rescheduling lots of training/races/living  to fit it in!   Abingdon and Dublin in the winter to look forward to too, and hopefully another European adventure next Spring!

• Options
    John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Another NWRRC invasion of Europe eh Flatboy!? I must admit I'd be seriously tempted and I was even looking at spring European city marathons this morning - how about Rome?

• Options
    FlatBoyFlatBoy ✭✭✭

There few a few at the expo that caught my eye JohnBach.....  needs to be a few weeks before VLM to get all the usual suspects together!

• Options

Rome is a good one as there are quite a few sights you get see on route and the atmosphere is good - quite warm like Barcelona and same time of year. I recommend.

• Options

How are the legs wenty? Get through unscathed? I had a minor scare but have trained the last two days include a double today. 

• Options

Not too bad thanks Martin. Strange as my glute ached pretty much all the way round but never really got much worse.

Felt fine after the race and next day. But then went for a 10k training run yesterday and legs were very tired, but felt better for it.

Only 3 weeks till London Martin, whats your training plan looking like for those 3 weeks?

• Options
    Not too bad this week some steady running mixed with mainly easy. One shortish interval ending with 1 mile w/u followed by 18 @ MP which will probably feel harder than Barca, then it's taper which is normally lots of MP work followed by lots more MP work lol
  • Options

Matt, sorry to hear about your cash getting knicked. Makes you want to punch someone.

Really enjoyed the race but got really bad cramp in my left calf at 16 miles. Was cruising and feeling great at 3:52 pace. Then I came off the flyover and down towards the second out and back and felt like someone had stuck a knife in my calf. Did a combo of walk, run, walk walk, run, walk walk walk walk run and hobbled over in 4:29. Was pleased to have got over the finish line, but feel a bit robbed that I got cramp which has never happened before.

Ah well, it's all good experience and we had a great time watching Barca win 7 nil (although the steps down from the top tier at the end of the match were pretty grim). That's pretty much my outdoor running season over as the temp here starts to get ridiculous. Bagged PBs in 10k, HM and Marathon this season and looking forward to starting all over again in Setember

• Options

Well done, everyone! looking at doing Barcelona myself next year - I've got a few marathons under my belt, and I'm looking for a special place to run my dream marathon race next spring. Would you recommend it? Also, can I ask if water was provided in bottles or cups? I struggled with water in cups during Washington marathon last year, so not keen to repeat the experience. Thank you, Cristina

• Options

supercooper - water was in bottles and there was plenty of it, powerade was in cups, but I got bottles of that too

well organised marathon, good course, well supprted and a cracking medal - I'd highly recommend it - my only gripe was the weather but it was their warmest day of the year so far, so it was just unlucky

• Options

Just a question about food and drinking during the race. How many gels did you use and did you prefer water or sports drinks. I drank water and used 3 gels of 25 ml and got out of fuel towards the end. Should i change strategy in the future?

• Options

suuper cooper - yes recommend Barcelona, other good ones are rome (same time of year) and Berlin (september). Very well organised and water in cups rather than half an inch in the bottom of a cup like most european marathons.

Natural runnerI think you were about spot on. I used 3 gels and mainly water with a bit of sports drink. Depends on your time running - I am just over 3 hrs. If you take longer then more obviously.

• Options

Again I would definitely recommend barca I really enjoyed it maybe that was because the pressure was off, or the position of our hotel or the group of friends I was with but it was a top top race. I can't think of a single downside tbh apart from it's not really a pb course IMO but if you're not using it as an A race then 100% recommended. 

• Options

Lots of people PB'd on here Martin. I agree its not quite PB for elites like Berlin or London might be, but for 3 hr plus people i cant see why not, providing its not quite as hot as this year.

3 weeks till London - almost taper time! 15-18 miles for me tomorrow (depending how i feel)

• Options

Thx for this info Wenty, i just stick with the water and try gels of around 50 ml in the future. Good luck with London Wenty. Your PB is really something to be proud of. Good luck as well for Martin. London is on my list for next year together with Dubai, Hamburg, Rotterdam or Rome. But there's a major chance i pick London. Is it hard to register for London btw. 

Barca is a really nice race, but i follow Martin's opinion. The combination of  the heat and the slightly hilly course makes it quite tough. 

• Options
    John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Simply to echo what others said about Barcelona. I think it would be hard to find a better European spring marathon. From my perspective it was a bit too warm, but the weather is a risk with any marathon!? With it being so warm perhaps it brought out even more spectators, which provided an even better atmosphere? Also for the sun worshippers in our group.....

• Options

i agree with the comments too. besides the heat i loved it! two weeks off for me and then plot my next adventure!

• Options

Thank you, it only endorsed my resolve. Can't wait! I'm a runner at heart getting into triathlons (whilst literally learning to swim & bike), so decided this year will be a marathon-less year for me, change of focus, periodised training to get me in a strong position by autumn when spring mara training is starting. Bring on Barcelona 2015!

• Options

I had a great time, although very upset about my slow(er) time, had hoped to be nearer, if not under, 4.30, but at 27k the heat got to me, plus the roads did go UP a lot..!  so jogged home in 4.51, but I got there.  Fab city, very well organised, loads of water - thankfully - and support all the way round.

Love the fact I was there to see Messi score a hatrick too.......  image

• Options
    Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

Haven't done a proper run yet - enjoying the rest - and massage image

Have been offered a good for age for Edinburgh on the 24th/25th May with the 3:06 from Barca (normally sub 3:05 required) ..... weighing up whether to go for the sub 3 then or wait until the Autumn and do one like Valencia perhaps..... I hear you get a free beer at the end. Worth it for that alone right image

I'd do Barcelona again for sure -  convinced it was measured long though

• Options

My training partner did Valencia last year and he thoroughly enjoyed it. He said its not a big commercial race, but the people get behind it. Apparently the finish line is quite a sight! All this marathon talk gives me itchy feet. Registering this weekend for Barca 2015. I should also be able to get a good for age for London (squeezed by 1 second last year in Washington), so I am now looking at a periodised training plan to get myself in a strong position come late autumn, when mara training starts.