Options

The Bible

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Lå®Ð䮧€ wrote (see)

When did screamapillar mention Margaret thatcher in relation to Christianity? image

He didn't. I don't know why you ask.

Screamapillar wrote (see)

As for children following their parents into atheism, well yes that happens, as does parents giving their children blind faith, and political views, its normal. There is a difference though in that atheists and agnostics tend  to reach their position through weighing up the evidence, unlike believers who are simply asked to believe.

That's exactly what I was going to say but you have already said it for me. My parents are Catholic.

Yes.. you, and many millions like you.  There are so many ironies and contradictions in this whole debate.  That's why I contributed to the thread. 

• Options

So, what's the opinion of religious people on here regarding other peoples religions? How do christians on here view for instance Druids, Charles manson, or David Koresh, or the pantheon of Greek gods, Norse gods? I'm interested to know your opinion of worship directed at something other than the "big" 4 mainstream religions? 

Why have the older religions all but died out? At one time the ancient world was convinced, even more than many christians of the existence of their gods, and yet at some point those gods faded into history. Why was this? If a god absolutely exists, no doubt about it, and is omnipotent how can they just go...

Do you think the christrian god will still be worshipped in another 500 years? or a 1000? Or will there be something else to replace it? 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Lets us hope its not Justin Biebar.

Probably something already has replaced the conventional religions: Google, Facebook, Twitter, Starbucks etc

🙂

• Options
    Lå®Ð䮧€ wrote (see)

So, what's the opinion of religious people on here regarding other peoples religions? How do christians on here view for instance Druids, Charles manson, or David Koresh, or the pantheon of Greek gods, Norse gods? I'm interested to know your opinion of worship directed at something other than the "big" 4 mainstream religions? 

Why have the older religions all but died out? At one time the ancient world was convinced, even more than many christians of the existence of their gods, and yet at some point those gods faded into history. Why was this? If a god absolutely exists, no doubt about it, and is omnipotent how can they just go...

Do you think the christrian god will still be worshipped in another 500 years? or a 1000? Or will there be something else to replace it? 

An Omnipotent god is a logical imposibility, the whole "i could create a rock so heavy that not even i could lift it" paradox. 

I think christianity will die out within 500 years globaly, but in the UK i cant see it lasting much beyond 100 years, other than in very small numbers,
    Unlike in previous millenia though, I personally dont think it will be replace by a new major religion (there will always be smaller ones and cults) because we can explain the things that religion has always had to in the past, "who are we?. where id we come from?. who created the earth?. etc etc" 

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if it is in the bible, but the view always seems to suggest that god made Man in his own image - well having been reading a story this morning on interweb then god must be one ****ed up ******rd.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Grendel3 wrote (see)

I'm not sure if it is in the bible, but the view always seems to suggest that god made Man in his own image - well having been reading a story this morning on interweb then god must be one ****ed up ******rd.

He certainly appears to have 'issues'.

🙂

• Options
    KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

The notion that those with christian beliefs are a persecuted minority, as reported in the media today, is utter nonsense.  In the 2011 concensus only 30% of people claimed to be athiests/have no religion. Christians are hardly a minority.

If the christian Majority are feeling under pressure it is because their attitudes, towards women bishops and gay marriage, shows them up for the bigots that they are. 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Personally I can't be arsed with all this religion, Bible study, god bollocks. I just accept that I'm brain damaged and use the modern solution of SSRI's and alcohol.

🙂

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    No, they are on fetch.
  • Options
    You can't claim to be a persecuted minority when your leaders get automatic seats in the House of Lords. Just because the rest of us (and to be fair, a good proportion of your flock) don't want to be horrible to gay people doesn't mean we're persecuting you.
  • Options
    room for improvement wrote (see)

In the 2011 concensus only 30% of people claimed to be athiests/have no religion. Christians are hardly a minority.

Yeah well, despite being an atheist, in the census I said I was a Jedi...

...because it's more cool.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Pope Francis! what do you think the 'F' in RicF is?

Sorry, I thought you said Poop Francis.

Via my running I've 'shat out' all over the world.

On reflection its pretty much the same thing.

🙂

• Options

For all you Middle Earth non-believers out there. If Bilbo Baggins doesn't exist, who wrote the Hobbit?

• Options
    Run Wales wrote (see)
    Lå®Ð䮧€ wrote (see)

When did screamapillar mention Margaret thatcher in relation to Christianity? image

He didn't. I don't know why you ask.

Um ... I'm a  "she"  actually...image

• Options

Jim Bowen is the Pope.

• Options

Will science one day prove/disprove  that god existed, by building a time machine and going back! 

• Options
    In libraries and bookshops I like to move bibles to the Fiction section, where they belong.
  • Options

Isn't it rather strange that nothing is really known about Jesus other than he was apparently born in poverty in a stable and the final period of his life...

What happened in between..?   What was he like as a boy..?   Where did he grow up, was educated..?   How/whe did he learn he had special powers..?  Did he travel outside of the area..? 

Was he a naughty teenager like others..?   Did he have girlfriends etc..,?   Where did he live..?

For a man who is arguably the most famous of all men, I find it somewhat strange that we know so much of other historical figures, before and after him, but nothing about him...   why is that.?

Plus..   isn't true that what we do know was actually written many decades, maybe hundreds of years after his death and thus isn't ever going to be strictly accurate..?   Its not a record of daily events...

Taking all of this into logical account and knowing what we now know about science, geology, botony, physics etc...   there can only be one truth...

It's a a nice story..  but actually is all a load of tosh to manipulate the masses....

Science is provable, repeatable and peer reviewed...       the same can't be said for religion.

• Options
    He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy !
  • Options

In reply to OP no dont own one, no never read one,dont intend to.

What DV says

RICHARD DAWKINS 

"Science Flies you to the moon religion flies you into buildings "

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I reckon the OP types this stuff out because they've run out of sleeping pills.

Its of concern that people with responsibilities are given over to such displays of irrational thinking. What other 'cock up's' are they making?

🙂

• Options

Anyone  who thinks the world began less than ten thousand years ago are ignorant and deluded and need to get a life THIS LIFE , its the only one we will get , I have to leave the room when a colleague at work continuously spouts off about asking god to help patients or relatives get through bad times..what a load of s*** if we all sat around praying for patients to get better there would be compo cliams left right and centre.

• Options
    RicF wrote (see)

Its of concern that people with responsibilities are given over to such displays of irrational thinking. What other 'cock up's' are they making?

OH so very true