Options

Ding dong the Witch is dead

Comments

• Options
    50 quid a month??? I know what I'm doing tonight then!!
  • Options
    EKGO wrote (see)

People do have children to get Council houses, i come from an area where it has been happening for years, my daughter is working hard and buying her own house, but she is years behind some of her school friends who have done just that. First child gets you the house second child gets you the money, her old school friend is on £420 per week with two children. She has already said that she won't work until she's in her 30s.

So please don't tell me it doesn't happen, it does, and it is a result of poorly thought out policies 

It might be your perception that it happens, but I still don't believe it. So I'm telling you: 'it doesn't happen'.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

What doesn't happen?

That no-one has ever had a child just to get a council house.

Why do you think there are guys out there with 16 children from 15 different mothers.

Satisfying a demand.

🙂

• Options

satisfying their own demand....image

• Options
    It's not a perception when you see it for real, it is happening, and will continue. It's pretty silly say that
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

satisfying their own demand....image

Sperm donors doing their bit for society.

Just pulling their weight.

🙂

• Options
    397 posts to get from Thatcher to knocking one out
  • Options

Just to bring it back round to topic. Regardless of what your opinions of Thatcher, the song which anti Thatcherites have managed to get into the charts which will not now be played in full that's an abhorrent decision.

This is supposed to be a democracy and if people are able to censor certain peoples views, rightly or wrongly, so long as there are no laws broken then those views should be allowed to be aired.

• Options
    How about re-releasing Sheep Farming in the Falklands? Thatcher won't be around to ban it second time round.
  • Options

Watch out, the BBC might try to censor this thread as well as the chart show!

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Shame it wasn't Band Aid that re-charted. Significant because of Thatchers cringeworthy run-in with Geldof, and that she was forced to u-turn her position of refusing to waive VAT on the record. And the royalties would have gone to a good cause. Failing that something by the Flying Pickets.
  • Options

can't beat the elvis costello song 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6T9qp9XbRY

just to some up the era

or the other version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuPrrdRzlxc

• Options
    Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

They are sensoring a notion which is worse, the song itself is totally harmless and older than all of us. Still it's to be expected really.

Anyway I think the message is still very clear

l saw a comment on the guardians website from some fella saying that if the beeb still want their licence fee to be paid by the general public then they ought to adhere to what it is the public are asking for (in this case for a song to be played)

Otherwise they ought to ask the tory party and it's donors to make up their budget.

l might refuse to pay mine on the above basis and see what they say to that.

• Options

The song is tasteless, classless, childish and genuinely one of the most vile things i've seen from the British public.  Thank God the BBC have some standards left because 30,000 or so members of the public have clearly let theirs drop to appalling low levels.

• Options

Just been listening to a radio 4 programme on Mrs Thatcher....

I hadnt realised how many Tories disliked her.that was a shock.........

and I hadn't realised how much she tried to undermine all the Tory leader after her....she couldn't ever except that she had been removed formn the leadership and she worked away undermining anyone afterwards who would not be used as her puppet.....

hadn't realised that she went to many right wing countries to give speeches afterwards to get the adolation from the crowds that she once had from the toriy party.....

she really seemed to think she was bigger and more important than the conservative party themselves.

learn something new every day

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Had to laugh when I read that when the former PM Edward Heath was asked why Thatcher hated him so much, he replied "I've no idea, but then again, I'm not a Doctor"

🙂

• Options
    Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)
    Strangely brown you really do need to learn some tolerance, protest and what goes with it, is a freedom of expression associated with a free thinking people. Your views in support of Thatcher are now verging on her own Fascist levels. She was also tasteless and classless so it seems appropriate really.

Wow, you want to patronise me some more teacher?

Where is your tolerance to Thatcher?  Why is it me that needs to learn some tolerance about you and your views but you don't need to show any tolerance about Thatcher and her time in government?

As for my view on Thatcher verging on her own Fascist levels, what on earth does that actually mean?  The only fascist I can see here is the one trying to quiten people down because they don't like what they're hearing.  Spot any irony in your obscure vitriol?

• Options

Members of the tory party disliking one and other?! Attacking, undermining and backstabbing each other when things are looking bad?! Only looking after their own self interests and searching for individual self gratification?! That really does surprise me seren. I would of thought they would be more interested in the common good than one-upmanship image

The BBC need to get a grip, It's the chart show, you play the chart. There's no need to deliberate, discuss or moralise over peoples motivations of buying one song or other.

• Options

Of course I can question people, that's exactly what you are doing to me.  You are questioning my right to voice my disapproval.  I have absolutely no problem with that, we enjoy the rights to free speach in this country.  That means I also enjoy the rights to voice my sensibilities too.

I think any celebration of another human being's death is totally deplorable and that has nothing to do with Thatcher, as it happens.  When I saw Americans dancing in front of the Whitehouse when they learnt that Bin Laden had been got, I had to turn my TV off.  That's not because I had a soft spot for the terrorist loon pot but because we should be better that, as a species.

People may have hated Thatcher and thought her methods wrong and vindictive but that in no way justifies street parties and songs.  It's obscene and it makes me a little ashamed in my country's people.  I have every right to voice that and i'm not in the least bit apologetic if you find that hard to accept.

I will always accept that people have a different view but I will never accept that having a different view can afford you the right to behave in a any manner you want without it being open to criticism.

• Options

Celebration of death is normal?  Sorry, I really beg to differ.  I can think of very few instances where i've ever seen it.  Celebration of death is twisted and obscene and impossible to justify regardless of who you are talking about.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Strangely Brown wrote (see)

Celebration of death is normal?  Sorry, I really beg to differ.  I can think of very few instances where i've ever seen it.  Celebration of death is twisted and obscene and impossible to justify regardless of who you are talking about.

I'm with you on this view SB.

From my own perspective I'd regard such a celebration as a failure of character. But that is my perspective. Other's have a different view.

However if you take the stance that everyone's opinion is valid and that right and wrong is just a matter of personal taste then chaos ensues. Standards do exist, otherwise we'd still be hanging people in public.

Society does exist, despite what Thatcher declared. I guess that now again we have cause to test the limits of tolerance.

🙂

• Options
    Strangely Brown wrote (see)

The song is tasteless, classless, childish and genuinely one of the most vile things i've seen from the British public.  Thank God the BBC have some standards left because 30,000 or so members of the public have clearly let theirs drop to appalling low levels.

I would hazard a guess that at least 10,000 of those downloads would have been to the account in the name of Mr A Scargill (charged through to the NUM coffers of course!), and the vast majority of the others by the large flock of feckless sheep doing it because they think its clever.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

In the same way that there's probably someone out there who still crys every day about the death of princess Diana.

🙂