Options

Ding dong the Witch is dead

Comments

• Options
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    I really have nothing (serious) to say on this subject. Ding dong the witch is dead. She can't do any more harm now and what is done is done. To hell with her.

fat buddha wrote (see)

one final thing DB - you mention perspective

perhaps you should read this article which provides an overview on the perspective relating to Thatcher's death

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-death-etiquette

but then, It's from the Guardian so no doubt you'll call it left wing lunacy whereas I would call it a very balanced opinion.

I think the problem people have had isn't actually anything to do with speaking ill of the dead.  It's the fact that that there is one day when decent people should be civil enough to bite their tongue and bury their vitriol in the respect of family, friends and people who cared for the deceased. 

People have had 30 years to voice their displeasure at Thatcher's politics and will have a the rest of their lives to discuss her legacy.  But on the day she actually passes (and thinking forward, to her funeral too), to hijack that occaision to tell the world how much you hate that person is the act of deeply unpleasant, cold and thoughtless human being. 

If there was universal acceptance that she was an evil, repugnant human being ala Bin Laden, Fred West or Ian Huntley (and of course, I'm not comparing her to those types of people one bit) then maybe exceptions can be made,  But here, we are talking about a person who a great many people did not subscribe to the view on the left that she was vile and evil and will be hugely sad to have to say goodbye to her.  She split opinion enourmousely and for that reason alone, the people who disliked her should have had the basic human decancy to let the rest mourn or mark her passing without their venom being unleashed yet again.  It's just not the time, it just isn't appropriate.

I've been quite saddened by what i've seen by quite a lot of people over the last 24 hours.  I thought we were a more respectful and decenct society than that.

• Options

i'm sure that the majority of landlords are good....

my problem is that the house prices has risen stupidly since the council houses were sold off......no more were built...so we are paying stupid rents for properties now......to fund a few pension pots...

so many of the houses were sold to buy to let mortgages in some areas that it put the prices out of people to but them .it seems to be a vicious circle...

the rent portion of the welfare budget must be the biggest part of it

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

FB, You'll have to forgive my crassness. My mind in still stuck in the 1996 version of 'Buy to let'. The modern version is a truly risky business. 

The escalation of house prices has gone. As you said the schemes have gone too. But those were always a feature of this sort of thing. In New Zealand the guys behind them were called spruikers.  

As I said, landlords are not really the issue. And as you say you keep tenants happy.

I'll admit I watched a guy I was friends with turn into some sort of meglomaniac as he accumulated a mass of properties via the 'Buy to let ' route. He revelled in the power he had over his 'chickens' (his description of his tenants).

Having been a tenant myself (he never was) I suggested one way to stop the encumbants burning the house down.  Freeze the rent for as long as they live there. I hated having my pay increase wiped out by a rent increase. Something he'd never experienced. I keep my distance now.

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I thought Thatcher was working class?

🙂

• Options
    EKGO wrote (see)

Screamapillar wrote (see)

EKGO: if Thatcher's government had had any foresight it would never have brought in the Poll Tax.

Don't confuse foresight (or lack of it) with the level of vindictiveness and contempt she had for the working classes. The poll tax was not a mistake it was a bridge to far, it was only defeated by mass protest and a dogged refusal to pay by people who had no means to pay the tax or the fines.

Still not convinced. That they thought they could get away with it and were wrong still proves a lack of foresight.

• Options

Ric F

middle class..definitely not upper class...her father owned a grocers shop or something similar I believe

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Poll tax was a poor idea. It must have scarred some people for life. There's a place in Rickmansworth where someone still paints the words 'scrap the poll tax' , 'poor tax'.

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SN, that must have been lower middle class.

Upper middle is Margo Leadbetter in the 'Good Life'.

🙂

• Options
    KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

I am proud to say that I refused to pay the poll tax. It certainly was a bridge too far. As a recent graduate at the time I couldn't afford it anyway (most of my meagre income was being paid in rent). 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Thatcher didn't 'get' sport at all it seemsimage

🙂

• Options

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

If all the sycophants are fighting over themselves to say how wonderful Thatcher was for the country and what a great leader she was.Surely the people who don't believe this are equally entitled to voice their opposite opinion.

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    The gun carriage procession is going to be pretty unedifying in front of an international audience. I can't see a "light touch" working to police protests on route. There'll be kettling and batons flying and the coffin will look like an omelette by the time it reaches St Paul's.

I'm no fan. For a PM who turned the conception "people don't matter" into a political ideology she certainly was happy to aggrandise herself. An expensive and overblown state funded funeral amid austere cuts imposed on those she disregarded is maybe a fitting finish.
  • Options
    Excellent last two posts. As Scooby says if you are going to have a debate about her legacy then you are going to get some backlash.
  • Options
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Excellent last two posts. As Scooby says if you are going to have a debate about her legacy then you are going to get some backlash.

Or just head over to Fetch and join in the debate over there.  Please. 

Mad bird got old and died.  Que sera.

• Options

AS far as I am concerned letting millions of people buy their council houses was for one reason and one reason only, so that the goverment could take it off you to pay for your care in your old age

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

also a war that the papers loved is the only thing that got her in for the second time.....

I dont think it was just the papers that supported the Falklands war.

and you're right her second election did come just after that.  But the third win came after the miner's strike I think.       

• Options
    roy silver wrote (see)

AS far as I am concerned letting millions of people buy their council houses was for one reason and one reason only, so that the goverment could take it off you to pay for your care in your old age

I've never really got the objection to using the value of your home to pay for your care in old age.  I'm happy to make sure I get better than bog standard care home care when I need it.  what use is my house to me when I'm dead?

• Options

So saving up to buying your own home and instead of giving it to your children you have to give it  to the goverment, leaves a soar taste in my mouth.

better than" bog standerd care " whats that then? 

• Options

Good to see that everyone who hated her so much has done exactly nothing about it for the last 20 odd years and waits till she dies to dust off the soap box.

• Options
    roy silver wrote (see)

So saving up to buying your own home and instead of giving it to your children you have to give it  to the goverment, leaves a soar taste in my mouth.

better than" bog standerd care " whats that then? 

Hmm, grudges that have little to do with Thatcher and more with successive governments, including Labour ones, coming out now I see. 

If we're blaming her can we at least blame her for the stuff that was actually her fault?

• Options
    JT141 wrote (see)
    The gun carriage procession is going to be pretty unedifying in front of an international audience. I can't see a "light touch" working to police protests on route. There'll be kettling and batons flying and the coffin will look like an omelette by the time it reaches St Paul's.

I think you're right, Policing will be tight, after all they were her personal foot soldiers for the Miner's dispute, and she paid them back handsomely by backing their lies in the Hillsborough cover up.

She should be buried in private away from it all. It will just cause unnecessary trouble  

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    roy silver wrote (see)

How exactly does this idea work? 

If you don't pay for your own care, then you are expecting someone else to pay instead. Nothing is free. That money comes from somewhere.

🙂

• Options

EKGO wrote (see)
    JT141 wrote (see)

I think you're right, Policing will be tight, after all they were her personal foot soldiers for the Miner's dispute, and she paid them back handsomely by backing their lies in the Hillsborough cover up.

She should be buried in private away from it all. It will just cause unnecessary trouble  

And most of them would have retired about ten years ago but hey don't let that get in the way of blind hate.

• Options

Oh yes I was forgetting they don't work as long as normal people do they

• Options

Is this turning into a thread that you have a go at anyone that has upset you in your life?, guess we will be onto a bully from your junior school next.

• Options

Not at all as I said at the beginning now she's dead I have no one left in this world that I hate with a passion. I'm a happy soul today, I just don't hink it's wise to put Police and Thatcher on the streets when emotions run high, do you?

• Options
    No you right let's send the girl guides out to the streets of London on that day.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Exactly what did Thatcher do to you personally EKGO?

I was dumped out of my first job because of her. Big deal. I adapted and moved on.

🙂

• Options

I did very well throughout the 80s depspite her, she was the cause of a lost job but it moved me on to better things with a nice pay off, but I didn't like what she did, what she stood for, or how she did it. She was a nasty piece of work.

Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)
    No you right let's send the girl guides out to the streets of London on that day.

I'm advocating keeping the funeral off the streets, then there is no problem, taking her around is inviting trouble or does no one else see it?