Options

Ding dong the Witch is dead

Comments

• Options

i gather she is going to be flanked by mounted soldiers.  fix bayonets!  oh, hang on I don't suppose the horses want to be there... 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Personally I use the past, live in the present and plan (if possible) for the future.

That's why Thatcher had become an irrelevance to my life. She had become just an old lady with dementia living in a hotel. 

🙂

• Options
    roebyroeby ✭✭✭

I don,t understand the need for a big ass funeral , I,ll be glad when its all over and we all find something else to moan about.

• Options

people are only stating their dislike of her because the crap of tributes that are coming out......

so some balance

and yes many many feel that the massive funeral that is being given her is totally unappropriate.......and a total waste of money and feel that they have to speak out to say that it is wrong...

To have that money and recognignition gieven to someone who really did hurt and damage many lives is not right and so people have a right to object

however much anyone loved her she was not a saint and in no way was she royallty

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

however much anyone loved her she was not a saint and in no way was she royallty

That's certainly true.

I'm not religious, so I reckon any funeral is for those still around, not for the benefit of the deceased. For those still around to cope with their feelings.

And as this is a state funeral, rather than a private family funeral, then I think it's right and appropriate that those who feel bad about her should come and show those feelings. Say what they have to say. If they believe that she did what she did not just out of fallibility and having hard problems to deal with, but out of malevolence and an actual desire to hurt people, then they need to express that. Whatever. Obviously I would want them not to take it out on the other people present, who may feel differently. That may be too much to ask.

• Options

i personally think that the place for opinions are for discussions like this one and in petitions to stop it.......let your voices be heard.

but i don't actually agree with trying to stop the funeral on the day itself or trying to interupt it.....

But maybe to many people listened to what she said about its everyone for yourself and no society etc and poeple have too much of a sense of entitlement now.......so they will 

I just don't understand why she wanted one.......the same way as I don't understand why she thought she was entitled to an allownace just for being an exPM.....even when she stopped doing any functions

• Options

I will say that if the police have to mount a huge security operation for this funeral because of perceived threats from Republican dissidents or there is likely to be unrest (which there is, not least because of dissatisfaction with the current government) then there needs to be a bloody serious rethink and quick.

Apart from anything else I work in Victoria,  I don't want to walk home through a riot!

• Options
    Surely those idiots who want a minutes silence at football matches are just asking for trouble. I wonder what would happen if people were asked for a minutes silence at parkruns this Saturday?
  • Options
    EKGO wrote (see)

Not at all as I said at the beginning now she's dead I have no one left in this world that I hate with a passion.

And this is exactly the warped perversion that leads the rest of the country/world to be so utterly bemused by the actions, attitude and behaviour of folk like you towards Thatcher.

If you think she committed reprehensible acts - and that has always been very much up for debate - those acts simply cannot be compared to great numbers of other human beings who have done genuinely unspeakable things.  Many of these people - rapists, paedophiles, murderes etc - will never enter the public eye so won't give you the opportunity for them to be painted as a public hate figure.  But, plenty do.  plenty of people far more deserving of your passionate hate:

Ian huntley

Mike Philpott

Gary Glitter

Anders Breivik

Robert Mugabe

Omar al-Bashir

Bashar al-Assad

How about someone like Anjem Choudary?  Or even those mass killers Blair and Bush?

The list of people who really are unquestionably fitting of your passionate hate is huge, yet you've run out of people to hate because you reserved it all for Thatcher.  Does that not strike you as peculiar and hugely misplaced sensibilities?

• Options
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Surely those idiots who want a minutes silence at football matches are just asking for trouble. I wonder what would happen if people were asked for a minutes silence at parkruns this Saturday?

This, I don't really understand.

Thatcher didn't even like football and I don't see a connection between the two.  People are able to pay respects in their own time, they shouldn't have it foisted on them. 

• Options
    About the only place I can think of, at the moment, that a minutes silence would be appropriate would be at a conservative Club or some such Tory place. The public are too divided.

To be fair I hadn't seen much of the TV footage until yesterday and despite wanting to "send Thatcher to hell" I would distance myself dancing in the streets and jumping on her picture. But then again they look like a bunch of Scottish winos playing up to the cameras. You have to blame the BBC for that.
  • Options

Strangely Brown you seem to be saying that there are many other people that should be more despised than Thatcher, which may or may not be true, depending upon your own personal views, but to suggest she is not as bad as (using your own instance) Ian Huntley is not a greta recommendation. Lastly I have not run out of people to hate, I believe I am lucky in that I only really hated one person, most others I can take or leave. 

• Options

Yes, that's what i'm saying.

What i'm also saying is that if you genuinely believe that Thatcher is more deserving of hatred than Robert Mugabe or Bashar al-Assad then you've totally lost your mind.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Surely Michael Gove must be creeping up there EKGOimage

• Options
    I would put Maggie as better then Hitler and Stalin but worse than Shipman or Ian Huntly. Purely a case of numbers of lives
  • Options

Fuck me, are you for real?

• Options

Where do you rank Blair then?

• Options
    Strangely Brown wrote (see)

What i'm also saying is that if you genuinely believe that Thatcher is more deserving of hatred than Robert Mugabe or Bashar al-Assad then you've totally lost your mind.

Its nice of you to help me out to find people I should think of as worse than her but its also a very arrogant viewpoint, you cannot presume to decide who someone else should like or dislike,

• Options
    I would put Maggie as better then Hitler and Stalin but worse than Shipman or Ian Huntly. Purely a case of numbers of lives

In a different age she would have been on message with both

• Options
    EKGO wrote (see)

Its nice of you to help me out to find people I should think of as worse than her but its also a very arrogant viewpoint, you cannot presume to decide who someone else should like or dislike,

How's it arrogant?  I think you've lost your mind.  You don't.  How is it more arrogant of you to think that Thatcher is deserving of more hatred than Mugabe (can't even believe we are discussing this comparison, it's utterly mental) than it is for me to think you're off your nut to think that way?

Nobody is right, it's just opinion.  Although i'd love to see any attempt for you to try and justify such a ridiculous mindset, it would be damned entertaining.

• Options
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Sorry Im with Strangely on this one ....... Thatcher worse than Shipman? really??

You don't have to be sorry, i'm a good sort.  Zero killings, rapes or mass genoicides to my name so far image

• Options

How's it arrogant?   

It is an arrogant viewpoint, you cannot assume that you can decide who I am to like and dislike, you can put your view but don't tell people how to think.

Maybe your Thatcher-like attitude to other people's views explains your loyalty.

• Options
    EKGO wrote (see)

If you're going to make comparisons perhaps it would make more sense to compare her with Mary Tudor, or Elizabeth Ist, or Catherine the Great....?

• Options

Sorry, what?  Have I entered a parallel universe where nothing makes any sense any longer?

Where have I told you what to think, what to decide?  How could I even do that?  You are some bloke on an internet forum i've never met.  Is there a mind control button missing off my Logitech keyboard?  It's totally illogical to suggest that this is what my post was designed to do.  You've misrepresented it to try and make me seem inappropriate.  When has discussing point and counter point on an internet forum ever been inappropriate?

I've not told you what to think anywhere, nor would I even think such a thing is possible unless you're Derren Brown.  I've told you what I believe is right and that seems to rankle with you.

It's almost as if you are trying to quiten me down, as if you are finding what i'm saying a little difficult to digest.  Now why would you try and do a thing like that?

• Options
    Screamapillar wrote (see)
    EKGO wrote (see)

If you're going to make comparisons perhaps it would make more sense to compare her with Mary Tudor, or Elizabeth Ist, or Catherine the Great....?

frankly you could put our current Queen in that list based on numbers of people killed in conflict during her reign 'cos of the numbers of deaths created by some our warmongering PMs and their commonwealth partners where she is still Queen

let's see -  Malaysia, Korea, Vietnam, Ireland, Falklands, Iraq, Afghanistan and not forgetting some minor skirmishes in West Africa

• Options
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

I wasn't making comparisons I was commenting on another post that did, I never understood royalty so I can't link them, the names you mention mean nothing to me

• Options

they all believed their way was the correct way and got rid of anyone who got in their way.